Is Tea Party Hate Speech Responsible For the Massacre In Arizona ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2011/01/09 13:47:07
NO, The Tea Party was just kidding about using violence.
YES, They are responsible for inciting violence.
Other
Congresswoman Gifford's shooting and the Palin connection

A few questions I am struggling with.

Twitter is abuzz with declarations that this is an act of right-wing terrorism. Tweets are posting a map attributed to Sarah Palin's site sarahpac.com, where the former Alaska governor lists "20 House Democrats from districts we carried in 2008 who voted for the healthcare bill." The list is intended as a call to action, yes, but are we sure the 18-year-old male who is reported to have shot 18 people was inspired by that?

While social media can be invaluable sources of information during breaking news events such as the shooting of Congresswoman Gifford and 17 others in Tuscon this morning, are we priming each other to hate? Are we leading our traditional media to quicken their own responses to our breathlessness over bad news? We know that television news quickly tells us what Twitter and Facebook are putting out there. Should we, with all the strength of our social media, pause before we prime the news?

I haven't seen the Sarah Palin/ Tea Party/ right wing connection discussed on television yet, but I expect to see it any minute now.

Our gut feelings may be true and our supercharged searchlights on the worldwide web may turn out to be accurate after all. But, despite all my desire for the facts to emerge with speed when it comes to breaking news, let's exercise our power with some responsibility. Unless, of course, that responsibility rests in urging our mainstream media to ask the right questions and alerting them to investigate the obvious tracks.

Read More: http://blog.seattlepi.com/mediamockingbird/archive...

• ptete in left I trust ~ POT... 2011/01/09 15:50:21
    ptete in left I trust ~ POTC**FUKU2**
    +14
    Incendiary talk that calls for violence is to blame for a lot of the violence we are seeing. Palin had the unmitigated gaul to put Gifford (and many others) in the "crosshairs". In fact Gifford herself spoke of feeling that had been targeted by Palin after Palin made incendiary statements and then posted a map with gunsights targeting Giffords district. We all know WHAT Palin meant, but then again, there are so many crazies out there that think that Palin had a special message with that for them. And sure enough, she reeled one in to do her dirty work and bidding. When are they going to learn that there are crazies out there with guns that listen to this crap and take it to heart and think they mean it literally.

Liberals aren't the ones talking about Second Amendment rights - coming unarmed THIS TIME, or taking back our country with violence. When more people are killed - and this time there was a 9 year old girl among the victimes, maybe they will get with the program and understand that violence talk turns to action for some very unstable people in their audiences.

• wombat 2011/01/13 17:19:57
    wombat
    +2
    Thats how it works. Its not that lefties run around calling on politicians as target.
    works lefties run calling politicians target
  • scootertuner1000 2011/01/10 18:45:37
    scootertuner1000
    +2
    Among other things, yes.
  • wuonbi 2011/01/10 16:58:21
    Other
    wuonbi
    The tea Party was Just kidding? I personally never heard any calling for violence.
  • payattention 2011/01/10 14:01:31
    payattention
    +3
    Yes this kid was a nut long before the Tea Party came along. Just the kind of nut who listens to knuckleheads who like to wrap up hate speach with the flag of patriotism. He hears that vitriol and feels that somebody has got to do something ! Then finally decides that destiny is calling him to action. It's not surprising. It's predictable. What's surprising is that this hasn't happened sooner with all the hate being spewed by right wing media. The saddest thing is that half of the famous talking heads on the right don't even believe in the crap say because they know they made it up to get ratings or to sell books or ton promote a lecture tour. These talking heads get rich while the country tears itself apart.......Fox news, (the most patriotic network in America) is primarily owned by an Australian (Rupert Murdock) and a Saudi Prince. Look it up for yourself !!!
  • Tully 2011/01/10 13:16:27
    Other
    Tully
    +1
    It is completely possible that a off balanced man with a gun could take idiotic rhetoric and direct it towards violence.
  • turtledove123 2011/01/10 12:53:30
    Other
    turtledove123
    I think his mental instability was to blame for him shooting people.
  • JO 2011/01/10 09:46:05
    Other
    JO
    +1
    Party yes, but one must consider the "nuts" in our society.

JO
  • The Albertan 2011/01/10 05:38:41
    Other
    The Albertan
    i doubt they were intentonaly trying to incite violece but with masseges like that THINGS HAPPEN. and thats also why there needs to be gun control.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/10 17:03:23
    wuonbi
    Funny the news has come out and said there is some evidence he was mad about her not voting for Pelosi.
    So it sounds like he was a lefty, as well as a righty, So politics probaby has nothing to do with it.
    And do you think he cared whether or not he was breaking the law, So how would gun control work in this case.
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/11 04:57:50
    The Albertan
    +1
    if he didn't have a gun or acsess to a gun perhaps?
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/11 08:48:21
    wuonbi
    When will you people learn !!
    Criminals do not care if they break the law, they will get a gun if they want one, whether they are legal to have or not.
    If not a gun ( which will never be impossible to do) , they will use explosives, cause train recks,chemical warfare, germs, etc......

All you will do is limit the good people's ability to defend themselves.

The best answer is still to punishing these acts, in a way that makes the people scared to do them, And not encourage others to do it so they can get their 15 minutes of fame.

I will bet anyone a year from now we will still be hearinvg about trial prep and or the trial itself.

He should be put on trial almost immediately and if found guilty, -- executed in less then a year after being found guilty..

He did this in public, with a lot of witnesses , but it will take years to even stsrt , he will be in the media for years, Something ( attention) that a lot of people crave. But will never have.
  • Che Gue... wuonbi 2011/01/11 16:43:00
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Well, in countries that have very strict gun laws, there is less gun violence. So you have to see it from both sides. Its not just a black and white issue.
  • wuonbi Che Gue... 2011/01/12 14:29:07
    wuonbi
    Actuallly name a few and you will see that they have other forms of crime -- the criminals just use something else.
    And I don't know of many other countries that people are waiting in line to get to, we must be doing something right.
  • Che Gue... wuonbi 2011/01/12 14:35:28
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    We are waiting in the unemployment lines and in lines at the emergency rooms.
  • wuonbi Che Gue... 2011/01/12 14:47:23
    wuonbi
    what ?
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/11 22:07:42
    The Albertan
    +2
    1. no one should be executed. it really isn't a deterrent. 2. this man has EASY acsess to a gun there was probably a gun shop down the street from his house, were he could go and say yo gimme a pistol. if there were gun control he wouldn't have done it beacause he was mentaly unstable. in countries with gun control crime rates are lower and so are violent gun crimes. just saying take it from a Canadian gun control WORKS.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/12 14:31:11
    wuonbi
    The other countries you are talking about just have the criminals using other things
    I don't see long lines of people waiting to get to these other countries
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/12 14:36:32 (edited)
    The Albertan
    +2
    HAHAHAHA Canada has waiting lists of refugees....FROM THE UK and USA and FRANCE, all fleeing gun related gang violence. and defending yourself against a knife is WAY easier than defending yourself from a GUN.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/12 14:49:39
    wuonbi
    That is a lie. Period. There is little to no waiting lines from the US and everyone knows it.
    If you want to leave we are glad to let you go. There are millions waiting to take your place.
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/12 14:50:27
    The Albertan
    +1
    really? proof please
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/12 14:56:41
    wuonbi
    Show me the WAITING LISTS of REFUGEES from the US, when you cannot My side is proven!
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/12 15:01:39
    The Albertan
    +1
    http://nexuscanada.blogspot.c...

i never said american citizens i said simply from the USA.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/12 15:33:25
    wuonbi
    So you were trying to mislead by obmitting little facts, Some people call that lying.
    So Americans as a whole -- the people who are here -- are not unhappy with the gun situation !
    And there are not WAITING LISTS of Americans wanting to leave the US, But there are Millions from almost every country on waiting list to get here.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/12 15:35:03 (edited)
    wuonbi
    Oh by the way your link did not work !
    the page says "Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog Immigration Canada does not exist"
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/12 23:02:31
    The Albertan
    +1
    it does exist lol.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/13 02:18:46
    wuonbi
    Ok --- NOT
  • The Alb... wuonbi 2011/01/13 03:14:10
    The Albertan
    +1
    go to the immigration Canada website. thats where it is.
  • wuonbi The Alb... 2011/01/13 03:31:28
    wuonbi
    First your link did not work, so I got rid of the last part of the link you put out, that took me to the basic website it came from, I did not see anything about refugees coming from the US.
    Which was not a surprise.

After admitting you were "bending the truth" to mislead and make a comment, ----- you now cannot even prove the "truth" you were bending ?

Good Bye --- I am done
  • Che Gue... The Alb... 2011/01/12 14:36:40
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Agreed. It makes no sense to kill someone to show how wrong killing is.
  • The Alb... Che Gue... 2011/01/12 14:39:49
    The Albertan
    +2
    yes lol its totaly hypocritical and barbaric.
  • Che Gue... The Alb... 2011/01/11 16:41:06
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    I think you nailed it right on the head.
    nailed head nailed it
  • The Alb... Che Gue... 2011/01/11 22:04:25
    The Albertan
    +2
    yup i did, as a canadian i can't just randomly buy a gun like anyone in the US can, that makes my ability to commit a violent gun crime next to zero.
  • TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige 2011/01/10 05:15:23
    Other
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +4
    All political hate speech is responsible, not just that of the TEA party. I have to agree with the commentary by Olbermann on this one. EVERYONE needs to calm down and ratchet down the violence and gun related rhetoric.

party commentary olbermann calm ratchet violence gun related rhetoric no violence
  • payatte... Texican... 2011/01/10 14:13:17
    payattention
    +3
    I agree with you totally.......I love your scooter, I have a Burgman 650. I saw your profile so it seems we have some things in common. Politically I'm a left leaning independent. I was registerd as an independent since the 80's but in order to vote in the 2008 primaries I was forced to choose a party.
  • Texican... payatte... 2011/01/10 20:42:42
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +1
    I want a Burgie so bad I can taste it. My little 125cc is nice for the local commute, but I want to do a real road trip. LOL
  • wuonbi Texican... 2011/01/10 17:10:38 (edited)
    wuonbi
    Tell the founding fathers that.! ---- It was their violence that gave you -- your Peace.

No guns no protection, did you know the main reason the Japanese never attacked the US main land?
    It was because they were afraid of an armed populous. Hitler took away the guns before he took power, Stalin did the same thing, I could go on and on with examples, -- to show that the second amendment is about Security, not hunting.
    Security from an intrusive government --- foreign and / or Domestic.
  • Texican... wuonbi 2011/01/10 20:41:05
    TexicanRGV - Noblesse Oblige
    +1
    And your rant is exactly what I am against. Where did I say get rid of your weapons? I said cool off! yelling and screaming and waiving your pea shooters helps no one. It just gets people killed.
  • wuonbi Texican... 2011/01/11 01:43:03
    wuonbi
    Wake up this shooting had nothing to do with the current political words being used, he is a nut job.
    People not saying what they mean and meaning what they say is why things are as bad as they are in America.
  • Che Gue... wuonbi 2011/01/11 03:14:03
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Japan had already lost the war. They had no air force and no navy left. Murdering 300,000 unarmed civilians with atomic bombs only showed the world how ugly a nation and a people we truly are.
  • wuonbi Che Gue... 2011/01/11 09:12:07 (edited)
    wuonbi
    You need to re-read your history, They were prepared for a long bloody land battle on their homeland.
    The estimated loses was between 250,000 & 500,000 us soldiers, and untold numbers of Japanese soldiers and civilians. They were ready to fight to the last man.

They were not going to just give up ---
    and proof of that was that even after seeing the results of the first bomb killing tens of thousands of japanese in less than 1 minute. They still did not give up, until after the second bomb was dropped.

So dropping the bomb saved un told numbers of lives.

2014/09/18 07:38:18