Is Snopes.com always truthful and reliable?

O'Grady 2009/01/25 00:45:30
No, they are always unbiased and use all available resources.
Yes, they allow popular opinion and personal opinions to determine conclusions.
It's a little of both.
I've noticed lately that any time I check out subject matter on Snopes that has any Biblical component or could shine any negative light on President Obama (even before he was elected), they have been quick to dismiss it, even in spite of many other credible source documents available on the internet. Examples: (1) NASA's computer debacle of the lost day, supporting the account of the book of Joshua
(2) Court case "Berg vs. Obama" documents posted by Berg, himself, showing admission by Obama that he's currently not a U.S. citizen.

It all just seems a little fishy to me. No pun intended, Rahm Emanuel!

• YadaYadaYada 2010/08/13 13:08:26
    It's a little of both.
    YadaYadaYada
    +3
    Well curiously the truth has always had a liberal bias. What I'm having a tough time seeing though is where this left bias would be necessary when researching the movies, fauxtos, old wives tales, cars, etc.

• iDryft 2013/12/11 14:16:18
    iDryft
    the examples you give are myths fabricated by the right wingnuts. sheep.
  • Debi57 2012/11/19 02:31:33
    It's a little of both.
    Debi57
    They are liberally biased..Obama is a Muslim..it's not accurate if the facts aren't.
  • katie.capshaw 2011/11/18 05:47:45
    katie.capshaw
    +1
    I just read a story from the washington times that snoops.com said was false.The reality is this site is owned in part by msnbc. They are full of crap. Anything negative about Obummer is said to be false, including the amount of his stimulas money! Really snoops?! Now I know you are full of BS!
  • Debi57 katie.c... 2014/09/08 17:42:02
    Debi57
    Then why did you say they were unbiased? They are a mom and pop business using nothing but google to help them research..they are idiots
  • YadaYadaYada 2010/08/13 13:08:26
    It's a little of both.
    YadaYadaYada
    +3
  • O'Grady YadaYad... 2010/08/14 06:14:20
    O'Grady
    In my recent collegiate experience, I've learned that almost any subject matter can be an open door for secular, left-leaning thought. Communist rabbits are being chased by professors every day.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2009/02/07 19:08:37
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    I hope so, I use it a lot!
  • katie.c... Lee The... 2011/11/18 05:50:36
    katie.capshaw
    +2
    They are part of the liberal media. They lie about Obama constantly, even facts that are easily checked through reliable sorces. And it makes complete sense, anybody can start a web page called facts.com, snoops.com ect.
  • Lee The... katie.c... 2011/11/18 13:30:06
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    I guess there are no reliable sources anymore.
  • Debi57 Lee The... 2014/09/08 17:43:37
    Debi57
    They are not authorities on anything, it is just a husband and a wife team using google to verify themselves..they do no research..it is ALL opinions..no facts
  • anonymous 2009/02/01 07:49:59
    anonymous
    +1
    I use snopes.com to check urban legends -- chain e-mail forwards and the like. I use politifact.com and factcheck.org to verify political statements.
  • O'Grady anonymous 2009/02/02 02:48:16
    O'Grady
    +1
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Debi57 anonymous 2014/09/08 17:44:56
    Debi57
    Snopes is just the conclusion of a husband and wife team using google to verify their findings..that is it..they are BS!
  • Trader1 is kerbonkin' 2009/02/01 06:54:00
    Trader1 is kerbonkin'
    +3
    Popular as in anything with a leftish slant. I used to believe it until I found out who funded it. No more now, I'm more inclined to believe the Huffington Post. At least they admit their agenda.
  • katie.c... Trader1... 2011/11/18 05:51:18
    katie.capshaw
    Exactly!
  • TheDogWalker~In Ayn Rand I ... 2009/02/01 04:49:01
    TheDogWalker~In Ayn Rand I Trust
    All of these sites are run by people with an agenda. The problem is whether they can be independently verified.
  • dill fazie 2009/01/31 22:49:26
    dill fazie
    +1
    on the big issues, they allow the popular opinions to rule, like the rest of those truth sites...
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2009/01/31 05:18:25
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +3
    Confessing I read some of he comments, if it is funded by George Soros, well so is 0bama; so what does that tell you? Beware! Prejudice abounds, the MSM and all Internet sources controlled by those who support the 0-man.
  • holliday04 2009/01/31 04:55:29
    holliday04
    Haven't used the site enough to say one way or the other
  • **Bessie** 2009/01/31 04:13:27
    **Bessie**
    +2
    I'm not undecided. I don't believe snopes at all anymore . . . they are a waste of a website in my opinion.
  • Skunk " In God We Trust" 2009/01/31 03:44:18
    It's a little of both.
    Skunk  " In God We Trust"
    +2
    Take everything you see on the net,Tv,hear on the radio with a grain of salt.
  • jrtmanmd 2009/01/31 03:26:51 (edited)
    It's a little of both.
    jrtmanmd
    +3
    Sometimes I think they're as full of shit as any other source! LOL

shit source lol
  • guinnessman 2009/01/31 03:07:57
    It's a little of both.
    guinnessman
    +2
    it is a little of both...they do present some facts...yet I have found things that they have disproved to actually be the opposite of their findings...

Then again...it is funded by George Soros...
  • jacalera ~Can You Say Lipton?~ 2009/01/31 02:22:53
    jacalera ~Can You Say Lipton?~
    +2
    There is so much internet scrubbing it's ridiculous and no, I don't think snopes is always reliable, so if you find something good, download or print it, because tomorrow it might be gone, or 'revised'.
  • morning40oz~mad as hell 2009/01/31 00:49:23
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    +2
    Have you ever researched the founders of Snopes? They are from California and very much politically active. I found their site to be skewed and biased.
  • hmjtrj-searching for truth 2009/01/31 00:48:46
    It's a little of both.
    hmjtrj-searching for truth
    +2
    They definately lean left
    definately lean
  • Bill - Buffalo Soldier 2009/01/31 00:28:06
    Bill - Buffalo Soldier
    +1
    They are probably the same as factcheck - I find snopes better than factcheck but figure they suffer from the same problems - the person doing the checking may have a bias which creeps into the answer. Find that most often on factcheck.
  • anonymous Bill - ... 2009/02/01 07:52:04
    anonymous
    Really? I thought factcheck did a pretty good job of staying free of bias.

Have you checked politifact.com? They've got a pretty neat section where they rounded up 500 or so of Obama's campaign promises, and they're keeping a running tally on which ones he's kept, broken, or compromised on. Very good at-a-glance accountability.
  • Debi57 Bill - ... 2014/09/08 17:48:03
    Debi57
    That is because they do not check their facts..other than using google..the site is managed by a husband and wife who do no research..it's mostly biased opinions.
  • BlueMax372 2009/01/30 23:36:48
    BlueMax372
    +3
    SNOPES is operated by a pair of libtards.
  • Debi57 BlueMax372 2014/09/08 17:48:40
    Debi57
    Yep!
  • Robert 2009/01/30 22:53:27
    Robert
    +2
    They are just another liberal, pro-Obama media component.
  • GreenEyedLady 2009/01/30 22:42:28
    It's a little of both.
    GreenEyedLady
    +2
    They are not always correct........since we own a computer repair biz, we check out hysterical emails that people send out claiming that viruses are going to erase your hard drive, steal your kids, sleep with your husband......etc. Sometimes they actually give some truth to this stuff seeming to not really know how computers and software work.
  • Kate 2009/01/30 22:40:49
    Kate
    +3
    The site is owned by Annenberg which is in Obama's pocket so ANYTHING negavtive about him is of course goint to be deemed false.
  • GreenEy... Kate 2009/01/30 22:43:45 (edited)
    GreenEyedLady
    +3
    Yep, I heard that too......do they have this fact listed on their site as true??? Bet not!
  • Daveman 2009/01/30 22:28:21
    It's a little of both.
    Daveman
    +1
    they have a "claim" spot and they support or prove the claim wrong. i have noticed that they manipulate the claim to show what they want. since then i quit using them.
  • jennifer1969 2009/01/25 18:18:50
    jennifer1969
    +1
    I used to use them too, but don't as much anymore. A while back I wondered about a claim they said was false, researched elsewhere and came to my own conclusion. I don't remember what the questionable fact was now.
  • Debi57 jennife... 2014/09/08 17:50:16
    Debi57
    They say Obama is a Christian.
  • Hank 2009/01/25 03:09:15
    Hank
    I visit the site, along with many other sites who claim to be the "real" story. Just curious, when you find information to be a "little fishy" what source or sources do you turn to for more reliable information??
  • O'Grady Hank 2009/01/25 19:09:11
    O'Grady
    Well, some things can be a real challenge to research and I may or may not come to a definite conclusion sometimes. With other subjects like my example of the court case though, there may be several other sources on the net to compare and research. On the court case thing, I believe I came across it on the Heritage.org website put out by The Heritage Foundation. I've found them to be a reliable source of information concerning political topics. They had a link on the site from JustiaDocs.com containing supposed official legal documents from the "Berg vs. Obama" case. It is apparently the most substantial case of I believe 13 others, if I remember right. At the bottom of the documents there was included the full name of the plaintiff Philip J. Berg, who is a Democrat, by the way who worked for the Democratic National Committee at one time. Also included was detailed contact information with several phone numbers for Mr. Berg. Even as a Democrat, he saw corruption in his own party and wanted it exposed. Snopes discounted it, but these documents convinced me. Why would a man who is waging such a lawsuit that was still pending, put false information out to the public? Those phone numbers checked out, by the way. I've also been referred to the Infowars.com site by a friend who told me ...''
    Well, some things can be a real challenge to research and I may or may not come to a definite conclusion sometimes. With other subjects like my example of the court case though, there may be several other sources on the net to compare and research. On the court case thing, I believe I came across it on the Heritage.org website put out by The Heritage Foundation. I've found them to be a reliable source of information concerning political topics. They had a link on the site from JustiaDocs.com containing supposed official legal documents from the "Berg vs. Obama" case. It is apparently the most substantial case of I believe 13 others, if I remember right. At the bottom of the documents there was included the full name of the plaintiff Philip J. Berg, who is a Democrat, by the way who worked for the Democratic National Committee at one time. Also included was detailed contact information with several phone numbers for Mr. Berg. Even as a Democrat, he saw corruption in his own party and wanted it exposed. Snopes discounted it, but these documents convinced me. Why would a man who is waging such a lawsuit that was still pending, put false information out to the public? Those phone numbers checked out, by the way. I've also been referred to the Infowars.com site by a friend who told me it reveals more political exposee`s than I could probably stomach. I haven't yet checked that one out though, so I couldn't really comment much on that yet. The Heritage Foundation has been around for a long time and Reagan consulted them often for advise on policies that would work during his presidency. If they were good enough for him then, well! As far as Biblical topics though, I always trust my good old King James Bible more than Snopes or anyone else! Thanks for your interest.

2014/09/23 18:23:40