Is Slutty Wednesday Awesome or Inappropriate?

Wasn't there a time, not that long ago, when student protests were, you know, about something? In New York City's legendary Stuyvesant High School, kids are bucking the administration en masse and taking on another critical issue: dress codes. They fought back hard recently at new regulations in a campaign they called "Slutty Wednesday," during which they wore risque outfits to school and passed around flyers that said "Redress the Dress Code." Edgy!

Some of the draconian rules the brave students are protesting require, according to The New York Times that any sayings and illustrations on clothing should be in “good taste.” Another calls for shorts, dresses and skirts to extend at least beyond the fingertips when arms are extended straight down. A third bans the exposing of “shoulders, undergarments, midriffs and lower backs.”

“We work our asses off here and school is about learning. Clothing is not important,” ninth grader Lucy Greider told The New York Post. Some of the boys protested the new rules as well, claiming offense that the administration assumed they were unable to control themselves in the presence of girls in short skirts, and definitely not because they want to see girls in short skirts. So what do you think about "Slutty Wednesday?"

• Cgirl4you Call me... 2012/06/16 20:24:22
    Cgirl4you
    That's just a lot of bs. Maybe some guys will make shallow assumptions, but it doesn't mean showing legs and shoulders is bad.
  • Call me... Cgirl4you 2012/06/17 02:26:37
    Call me Mark willya?
    +1
    showing legs and shoulders is fine, dressing like you're working the street is not. I didn't think any of the girls in the pic looked slutty to be honest, but it is a distraction in the classroom when a girl shows up dressed like she's ready to go on a hot date. Most guys, and we are talking about hormonal schoolboys, will break their necks to see a little bit of leg in school.

When I was in school the girls were all wearing jeans, but when one of them wore a skirt or dress, my hormones went on red alert. I would never attack anyone, but it sure made it harder to listen to the teacher.
  • Calisto Call me... 2012/06/19 00:26:17
    Calisto
    Agreed!
  • MrSexyPants 2012/06/15 00:23:25
    Awesome
    MrSexyPants
    I think its great. When I was in high school, there was such a strict dress code it was unbelievable. I can only imagine how strict the dress code in schools are now. Sure the name "slutty wednesday" might b a little.... out there. And kinda misleading, but the thot and the concept behind it is good. Clothing is expression, and as far as i know, no young girl wants to look like a nun going to skool, where she knows good n damn well, she wants to holla at the boys and show all the other girls how hot she is in her sexy clothes. Props to "slutty wednesday."
  • debhead MrSexyP... 2012/06/16 11:41:48
    debhead
    Perhaps, if you knew how to spell, someone might take you seriously. It's still a ridiculous idea, but then it would at least look like YOU learned something in school. Just saying.
  • Cgirl4you debhead 2012/06/16 20:01:17
    Cgirl4you
    +1
    Shut up, you snob. It's SodaHead, not a college paper.
  • MrSexyP... Cgirl4you 2012/07/02 22:02:32
    MrSexyPants
    thank u Cgirl, i couldn'ta said it better maself. Last time I checked, this was an online opinion site. this ain't ma application to harvard... oh but wait, lemme translate for all the narcissistic grammar nazi's out there....

"thank you Cgirl, I couldn't have said it better myself. The last time I checked, this was an online opinion site. This is not my application to Harvard." did i satisfy your low perception of my intelligence, or should i misspell a couple more words for you, Deb?
  • kuyrukh MrSexyP... 2012/06/17 02:59:02
    kuyrukh
    Of course you woudn't mind. Not like your being sexualised and objectified. You just sit back and watch the naked girl show.
  • MrSexyP... kuyrukh 2012/07/02 22:05:53
    MrSexyPants
    i never said it had to be "mandatory" and that everyone HAS TO look "slutty" its only if you feel like participating. Did u participate in every dress up day at school? I know i did, but there was plenty of people that didn't. And since when is being sexy a bad thing? And I'm gay so joke's on you. The "naked girl show" would be of no intrest to me. I'm just saying dress codes are way too strict and its not a crime for these girls to wanna look hot...
  • Boss 2012/06/14 21:50:23
    Inappropriate
    Boss
    +2
    what,s with this wednesday...most of them look like sluts EVERY DAY...
  • Cgirl4you Boss 2012/06/16 22:07:30
    Cgirl4you
    That's just a label...maybe we should insult the way you look.
  • the Coz Man !!! 2012/06/14 21:44:02
    Inappropriate
    the Coz Man !!!
    +1
    Do not like the name !!! Dress Down Day would be a more appropriate approach over-all !!!!!
  • Christopher Brady 2012/06/14 21:02:54
    Inappropriate
    Christopher Brady
    Only so much as it makes them a target to idiot boys who think they'll be easy, and they're not, there's a chance that it will end badly.
  • Cgirl4you Christo... 2012/06/16 20:04:16
    Cgirl4you
    Wow, you don't know anything about rape. It's not about sexual desire as much as to exercise power and to humiliate people. It happens to women who wear jeans...attire is irrelevant. And it sounds like you partially blame the victims, which is disgusting.
  • jere.chievres 2012/06/14 19:50:37
    Inappropriate
    jere.chievres
    +1
    I don't care for slutty looking women.
  • debhead jere.ch... 2012/06/16 11:43:05
    debhead
    +1
    Good man!
  • Cgirl4you jere.ch... 2012/06/16 20:04:18
    Cgirl4you
    They're only "slutty" to a stupid prude.
  • laydeelapis 2012/06/14 19:42:05
    Awesome
    laydeelapis
    +2
    Christ, what is the big deal?? If people are hard-working and not doing anything harmful to others, why does it matter what they choose to wear?! I don't agree with the name of the protest though...'slutty' is such a terrible, demeaning word.
  • Sammy 2012/06/14 18:55:27
    Inappropriate
    Sammy
    +5
    Why is it so hard to NOT dress like a slut in school? Its school, not a bar.
  • Cgirl4you Sammy 2012/06/16 20:04:56
    Cgirl4you
    It's not slutty you brainwashed prude.
  • Sammy Cgirl4you 2012/06/17 21:42:41
    Sammy
    Wow, champ, way to be civil and respect my opinion.
  • Calisto Cgirl4you 2012/06/19 00:24:23
    Calisto
    The students in question are calling it slutty by definition. Yes it is and even they know it. School is not the place, and teens are not the age.
  • MichelleluvsRonWeasley 2012/06/14 18:50:40
    Inappropriate
    MichelleluvsRonWeasley
    +4
    That's absolutely rediculous.
    There really needs to be an "I really don't care about this crap" button, though...
  • wildthang 2012/06/14 18:48:08
    Awesome
    wildthang
    +3
    Everyone should start resisting the forces of sexual repression forced on them by society... the religious puritanism in actual living that denies their rights, not just dress codes. The sexual consequences of repression are seen everyday in the news as people act out in various inappropriate ways, like the religious leaders forcing the laws to begin with and institutionalizing them and making slaves of themselves out of dark age morality codes and addiction to torturing themselves and others..
  • debhead wildthang 2012/06/16 11:52:41
    debhead
    +1
    Charles, you try to come across so eloquently. However, high school is not the place to advertise your sexuality. Do you have a diploma, a good job, your own place, pay all your bills and taxes, or even vote? Express your sexuality after you can perform all these things.
  • Cgirl4you debhead 2012/06/16 20:06:47
    Cgirl4you
    It's not advertising unless you're some idiot who thinks it's the woman's fault the guy turns it dirty. All work and no play is idiotic too.
  • wildthang debhead 2012/06/18 17:41:18
    wildthang
    Years and years of watching the sexual repression of society which approves of the rape of one country by another called war because of pent up frustration. All started by devaluing sex upon its wakening for years and years...
  • BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROC... 2012/06/14 18:45:55
    Awesome
    BOOGIE-WOOGIE-MUSIC-MAN-ROCK-N-R
    +1
    Peaceful
  • Calisto 2012/06/14 18:35:16
    Inappropriate
    Calisto
    +1
    It's wrong, but the girls are doing it because sexuality is their only form of currency with boys and older men, and they are looking to cash in now.
  • Aly Hart Calisto 2012/06/15 20:58:29
    Aly Hart
    +1
    Or, this might be shocking, they just feel like it. I guess it would be the same thing for the boys in the picture right?
  • Cgirl4you Calisto 2012/06/16 20:25:38
    Cgirl4you
    +1
    How is it wrong to show the shoulders, legs, and midriff?
  • Aly Hart Cgirl4you 2012/06/17 02:02:31
    Aly Hart
    Maybe he's somewhere in this picture.
    jihadists
  • Calisto Aly Hart 2012/06/19 00:08:00
    Calisto
    Maybe you should know that I'm an Iraqi War Veteran and fought against these types. "They just feel like it?" Sounds like someone who is truly lost.
  • Aly Hart Calisto 2012/06/19 02:03:32
    Aly Hart
    Then you of all people should know how it's wrong to vilify based on clothing.
  • Calisto Aly Hart 2012/06/19 18:16:52 (edited)
    Calisto
    Not at all. Clothing makes it easy to identify someone, and it's how they identify themselves. It tells others how you expect to be treated. What about the way the villains are dressed in the picture you posted of those bad guys? What does the way you presented them, and their clothing say about how they are viewed? You have identified them as villains precisely for their self presentation!
  • Aly Hart Calisto 2012/06/19 18:27:01
    Aly Hart
    Taking things seriously much? It was a joke, to make fun of the misogynist/shaming comments all over this question...and besides I couldn't think of a good picture that included the sexist douchebags on Fox News.
  • Calisto Cgirl4you 2012/06/19 00:10:51
    Calisto
    Are you quoting me or just inserting your own thoughts to argue with?
  • Watermusicranger 2012/06/14 18:09:44
    Awesome
    Watermusicranger
    +1
    I agree with the kids right to fight against dress codes
  • debhead Watermu... 2012/06/16 12:02:17
    debhead
    +3
    Why? Ask them to express themselves about this countrys financial situation or the pros and cons of our political candidates running for president. Ask them how they budget their money to make their housepayment or what our country should do for health care. If they can do that then let them dress like sluts.
  • Cgirl4you debhead 2012/06/16 20:33:29
    Cgirl4you
    That's absurd...they don't need to worry about politics until they're eighteen. You really seem to have the ages for things a bit flipped.

2014/11/01 05:30:55