Is Slutty Wednesday Awesome or Inappropriate?

Wasn't there a time, not that long ago, when student protests were, you know, about something? In New York City's legendary Stuyvesant High School, kids are bucking the administration en masse and taking on another critical issue: dress codes. They fought back hard recently at new regulations in a campaign they called "Slutty Wednesday," during which they wore risque outfits to school and passed around flyers that said "Redress the Dress Code." Edgy!

Some of the draconian rules the brave students are protesting require, according to The New York Times that any sayings and illustrations on clothing should be in “good taste.” Another calls for shorts, dresses and skirts to extend at least beyond the fingertips when arms are extended straight down. A third bans the exposing of “shoulders, undergarments, midriffs and lower backs.”

“We work our asses off here and school is about learning. Clothing is not important,” ninth grader Lucy Greider told The New York Post. Some of the boys protested the new rules as well, claiming offense that the administration assumed they were unable to control themselves in the presence of girls in short skirts, and definitely not because they want to see girls in short skirts. So what do you think about "Slutty Wednesday?"

• Mecynogea Link 2012/08/15 14:45:01
    Mecynogea
    What are the draconian rules?
  • Link Mecynogea 2012/08/16 11:25:42
    Link
    Things like no sleeveless shirts, that sort of thing apparently...

They are simply fighting to loosen up on the rules a bit...

We are not all robots made to "conform"... No, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be guidelines and "rules"... but I seem to remember that just the other day, there was a post about what dictators do to gain control (the post was about gun control)... Making everyone "conform" and "obey" or else is another thing leaning far too close to dictatorship in my opinion...

The days of such strict dress codes is gone... Time to re-evaluate and lighten up...
  • Mecynogea Link 2012/08/16 16:05:08
    Mecynogea
    Yeah, maybe. But if we're talking about rules and control, then they would be wearing uniforms.
  • swimmingswan 2012/06/12 17:57:45
    Inappropriate
    swimmingswan
    +4
    i believe in dress code as if i would let my daughter go around dressed like no way not allowed , thank for school uniforms in our school.
  • Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning 2012/06/12 17:55:44
    Inappropriate
    Flash,aka,Mr.Lightning
    +3
    Education before eye candy.
  • gocar Flash,a... 2012/06/12 18:25:48
    gocar
    +2
    Agreed. I just don't know how the public schools can put up with all the garbage that kids wear to school. The idea that torn and stained jeans could in any way, shape, or form, be a fashion statement is beyond me. Actually you will not that while young people often say they value own individual styel they pretty much all dress and act the same.
  • Wonder Woman 2012/06/12 17:53:38
  • BonBonB... Wonder ... 2012/06/13 15:36:26
    BonBonBonBonTomTomTommo
    +1
    But you see, sometimes it is so restricted, you can't be comfortable. I have uniforms at my public school, and if I could, I would wear sweats every day. Whenever we are allowed to wear whatever for field trips and spirit days, no one dressed "slutty". I mean, sure there are some people that wear shorts that are a little too short, but they were breaking the dress code. That's just my personal experience.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/06/12 17:53:33
    Inappropriate
    Artist~PWCM~
  • Stef an... Artist~... 2012/06/12 18:25:03
    Stef and the City
    +7
    That's not a slutty outfit, that's a cute outfit. Everything's covered.
  • Artist~... Stef an... 2012/06/12 18:32:49
    Artist~PWCM~
    +5
    Cute, true but wait till she sits down, lol!
    Oh Nelly!
  • Stef an... Artist~... 2012/06/12 18:37:12
    Stef and the City
    +6
    Well for her sake, I hope she's wearing cute underwear.
  • Son Of ... Stef an... 2012/06/12 19:23:06
    Son Of Anubis™
    +5
    Unless she went commando that day....just for that reason
  • Tree To... Son Of ... 2012/06/12 19:36:33
    Tree Top TT
    +3
    commando = no panty line = a good thing:)
  • Tree To... Stef an... 2012/06/12 19:34:29
  • Walter ... Stef an... 2012/06/12 21:11:35
    Walter Harris
    +1
    or not
  • Link Stef an... 2012/08/15 11:29:11
  • Tree To... Stef an... 2012/06/12 19:22:16
    Tree Top TT
    +2
    Not, when she sits down! But, yes, it is a cute outfit! :)
  • Son Of ... Artist~... 2012/06/12 19:23:21
  • Empress 2012/06/12 17:52:29
    Inappropriate
    Empress
    +1
    When people say "hump day" for Wednesday, one could think of it 2 ways: sex or the week is almost over. Slutty Wednesday is synonymous with one word, slut...lol
  • Jimbo 2012/06/12 17:50:19
    Awesome
    Jimbo
    +6
    No one in the picture is dressed like a slut. They're also not very good looking.
  • Walaa 2012/06/12 17:50:10
    Inappropriate
    Walaa
    +2
    Its called "Slutty Wednesday" get a hint..
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/06/12 17:50:00
    Inappropriate
    Lerro DeHazel
    +2
    Local School Boards should be the ones to decide what the Dress Code should be for the Public Schools. Obviously, the children are not interested in bettering their lives. If the Parents can't show interest then we should just back up our Court System with cases that remove the children from the various households. You think that it will cost a lot of money? . . . Just simply process ONE Case and then watch all of the maggot-coward parent or parents run!!!! I am getting sick-and-tired of paying for something that we never use. "You have to the right to remain silent!" . . . "Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth; the whole truth; and nothing but the the truth; so help you, God!?" Sure, Eric Holder sucks. But that doesn't mean everyone has to suck.
  • gocar Lerro D... 2012/06/12 18:27:22
    gocar
    +2
    Yes, I agree the School Board should set the standard and never mind what the parents say. A proper decorum is important in an educational setting. If you leave it to parents -- well take a look around and see how some of the mothers dress. UGH!
  • waternymphxD 2012/06/12 17:49:02
    Awesome
    waternymphxD
    +6
    Ya!!!!!! Gives u a chance to express your inner slut!:-*
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/06/12 17:47:34
    Inappropriate
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +6
    There are other ways to make a point than to further degrade our gender.

If clothing doesn't matter so much, why exactly are they doing this?
  • ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂ 2012/06/12 17:45:10
    Inappropriate
    ☂cinderella.dress.in.yellow☂
    +2
    some of the outfits in the picture wasnet all that bad but who came up with this idea ?
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2012/06/12 17:44:57
    Inappropriate
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +5
    Those are hardly unreasonable or restrictive rules. My school had the same dress code - though hypocritically, the official cheerleader outfits didn't even conform. restrictive rules school dress code hypocritically official cheerleader outfits conform The only problem I had with it was that they wouldn't let us wear flip flops for some reason.
  • mae Bulanov... 2012/06/12 18:46:59
    mae
    +4
    That was the main argument the rest of us girls had about the dress code--It was OK for the cheerleaders to wear their skimpy cheering uniforms 3 days of the week, but the rest of us lesser life forms had to meet the 'new recruits for the nunnery' clothing rules every single day... A week of Every girl dressing the same as the cheerleaders, (without the uniform-short skirts and short-waisted top), resulted in a reversal of the dress code. It was cheaper to reverse it than to buy new uniforms for the cheerleaders, majorettes, cheer squad.
  • Bulanov... mae 2012/06/12 19:03:43
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +3
    Nicely done! :) Our cheerleader uniforms were so ridiculous, I don't know how they weren't illegal sexualization of minors. Some of them you could see their butt cheeks hanging out of their panties as they walked down the hallway!
  • mae Bulanov... 2012/06/12 19:39:42
    mae
    +1
    Yes! Exactly my point..and worn not just on game day, but 3 out of 5 days a week--in our case...wonder how that rule passed dress code scrutiny? Betting the majority of the decision-makers were men.
  • Bulanov... mae 2012/06/12 19:44:01
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +2
    You know it's bad when some of the male students even are complaining. In my biology class, the discussion came up and a male classmate pointed out the cheerleader uniforms defied the dress code badly. My male teacher in his 60s grinned at him and said "Well, I wouldn't complain if I were you!" Yes, not creepy or inappropriate at all. -_-;
  • Mog of War Bulanov... 2012/06/12 20:07:07
    Mog of War
    +3
    I find it disturbing that the cheerleader outfits don't conform, but then again, I find it equally disturbing that such a large portion of our educational budget goes to sexually objectifying a portion of our incredibly young teenage girls.
  • sahan25 2012/06/12 17:40:50
  • 16 2012/06/12 17:39:42
    Awesome
    16
    +2
    I'm sorry, but certain clothes don't look good on certain people and sometimes I just like wearing nike shorts but I can't, because of dress code which I think is crazy. if you can't see your butt cheeks or if your breast aren't hanging out, then I don't see the problem.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/06/12 17:39:05 (edited)
    Inappropriate
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +12

...there really is only one logical solution to this problem.
  • Death O... lurx: t... 2012/06/12 18:28:42
    Death On Two Legs
    +3
    Are you saying women should be forced to wear burqas?
  • lurx: t... Death O... 2012/06/12 18:32:37
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +4
    ...apparently we can't have them deciding for themselves what they should wear, if their outfits are deemed too revealing.
  • Death O... lurx: t... 2012/06/12 18:54:57 (edited)
    Death On Two Legs
    +2
    So you think you have the right to decide what a woman wears just because you think "Oh, cleavage is bad!", or "The shorts go above the knee! She's obviously a whore!"

How about you concentrate on your own clothes, and let each individual decide for themselves what they want to wear, okay?
  • lurx: t... Death O... 2012/06/12 18:57:01 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +4
    What I'm actually suggesting is, that the impulse to restrict the choices that these girls make is no different than those in other cultures who demand that women follow a repressive dress code.

2014/11/26 23:15:41