Is Sarah Palin Establishing Residency in Arizona to Run for John McCain's Vacated Senate Seat in 2016?

ChiTownGirl 2013/06/17 03:03:33

Is this Senator McCain’s last term?

Will Sen. John McCain’s current term be his last?

Arizona’s senior Republican senator this year has reclaimed his role as a key bipartisan deal-maker on comprehensive immigration reform, a priority he downplayed while under intense scrutiny from conservative activists during the 2008 GOP presidential primaries and his 2010 Senate re-election campaign.

His return to the center on such a volatile issue — many “tea party” voters still oppose what they view as “amnesty” for illegal immigrants — has renewed speculation among Capitol Hill insiders that McCain is focusing on his legacy and feels he has nothing to lose politically by provoking the far right of his party.

Political observers say McCain’s passionate push to complete comprehensive immigration reform, combined with other signs, might indicate that he doesn’t intend to seek a sixth Senate term three years from now.

For his part, McCain said he has not decided whether to run, although the 76-year-old joked to The Arizona Republic that he anticipates “people inquiring daily as to my health” as his term progresses.

He also disputes the notion that he has not been consistent on immigration reform and questions why his part in the current deliberations would be taken as any sort of a signal of his future political intentions.

McCain also says he has detected a change in the public’s mood, even among Republicans, toward supporting immigration reform.

“I don’t see any connection between that and something that I would decide in a couple of years,” McCain said.

More than four years after his loss to President Barack Obama in the 2008 election, McCain has remained relevant in the Senate.

Besides establishing himself as a crucial GOP member of the Senate’s so-called Gang of Eight working on immigration reform, McCain was central to the recent compromise that largely preserved the Senate’s filibuster procedure and emerged as a key player in the national debates over Obama’s nominations for Defense secretary and secretary of State.

He is recognized as a leading GOP voice on national security and foreign affairs and has maintained a high profile on national television news shows.

“He’s not acting like somebody who is starting to box up his office,” said Jennifer Duffy, who analyzes U.S. Senate races for the nonpartisan “Cook Political Report.”

But others wonder if McCain’s long political career may be winding down.

Last year, he donated $9 million in surplus campaign funds to help Arizona State University launch the McCain Institute for International Leadership.

He said at the time he could always raise more money should he decide to seek re-election, but added that serving amid the “incompetency” on Capitol Hill was “very dispiriting sometimes.” Democrats have controlled the Senate since 2007, leaving McCain and his fellow Republicans in the minority.

Other senators have expressed similar frustration upon leaving office.

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., last week announced that he will not seek re-election in 2014, joining fellow Sens. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., in deciding to retire. And longtime McCain friends such as Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., and Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., already have recently left the Senate.

“Setting up a McCain Institute would suggest that he is looking at his legacy now,” said Fred Solop, a professor of politics and international affairs at Northern Arizona University. “Honestly, he is getting older. It’s more difficult to play out the role of a U.S. senator and a leading statesperson.”

So far, age hasn’t seemed to slow him down. McCain will turn 80 in 2016, the year he comes up for re-election. He continues to keep a vigorous schedule, last month traveling to Egypt, Jordan and Israel. His mother, Roberta McCain, earlier this month celebrated her 101st birthday.

But after White House runs in 2000 and 2008 that were unsuccessful, two House terms and 41/2 Senate terms — not to mention the more than five years he spent as a prisoner of war in Vietnam before his rise in politics — McCain may be reaching a point where he doesn’t have anything left to prove in Washington, said Bruce Merrill, a veteran political scientist and senior research fellow at ASU’s Morrison Institute for Public Policy.

“He has become such a powerful person in Washington that if his health is good, there isn’t anybody in Arizona who would defeat him,” said Merrill, who has followed McCain’s political career since his first House race in 1982. “So it’s just going to be his choice, I think, in terms of whether or not he would want to run again.”

Closely watched

While McCain has not dropped hints about his long-term plans, upwardly mobile politicians are keeping an eye on his seat.

Republicans commonly mentioned as possible McCain successors include Reps. Trent Franks, Matt Salmon and David Schweikert; former Rep. John Shadegg; and former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods.

Potential Democratic contenders include Janet Napolitano, Obama’s Homeland Security secretary and a former Arizona governor; Mark Kelly, the retired astronaut husband of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz.; Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz.; and former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon. Richard Carmona, the former U.S. surgeon general who narrowly lost to Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., in last year’s race for Kyl’s seat, has said he is considering a possible run for governor in 2014. If he opts not to, Carmona also likely would be considered a possible Democratic frontrunner for the Senate seat.

“Nobody knows, but if they have any ambition at all, they don’t want to take a chance of not being in the game at the last minute,” Merrill said. “I think you’ll see a lot of jockeying for his Senate seat.”

More than anything, McCain’s re-emergence as a champion of comprehensive immigration reform has renewed speculation about his future.

He was a longtime advocate for fixing the nation’s broken immigration system, co-authoring with the late Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., a bill that passed the Senate in 2006. He also supported a subsequent attempt at comprehensive reform sponsored by Kennedy and Kyl in 2007, but came under fire for it while on the Republican presidential campaign trail in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Responding to the outcry from anti-“amnesty” conservatives, McCain pivoted to a position requiring a secured U.S.-Mexican border before proceeding with other reforms such as a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants already in the country or a guest-worker program.

“I will secure the borders before we do anything else,” McCain told a critic of his immigration legislation at a 2007 town-hall meeting in Hampton, N.H. “The borders have to be secured. I got the message. Got it.”

In 2010 — the year of the tea-party uprising — McCain was challenged in his Senate primary from the right by former Rep. J.D. Hayworth, a conservative border hardliner and radio commentator who attacked him as too liberal on the issue. McCain crushed Hayworth in part by continuing to emphasize the need for increased border security first. In a memorable television ad from the campaign, McCain called for completion of “the danged fence” while walking along the border with Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu.

During that race, McCain even rejected his longtime reputation as a political “maverick.”

More recently, McCain has said public attitudes have since softened toward some of the more controversial provisions included in comprehensive immigration reform, and more Republicans are coming to realize that opposition to it could continue to hurt their national prospects in presidential elections. Obama defeated McCain in 2008 and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in 2012 among Latino voters.

“Listen, I’m sometimes entertained by this business that, ‘McCain has changed his position,’” McCain toldThe Republic. “Look, I’ve always said we’ve got to secure the border first. And I said it in 2010, I said it in 2007 and I said it yesterday.”

Flake, who like McCain is a member of the Senate group collaborating on comprehensive immigration-reform legislation, echoed McCain by saying it’s a stretch to suggest that McCain’s work on the issue is a harbinger of his retirement.

“I don’t know if you can read that into it,” Flake said. “He’s taken a leadership role on a lot of things in the past. That’s just his manner. Whatever the issue, he’s out front.”

Maverick ‘once again’

But other observers have noticed McCain shifting back toward the center and say it seems to reflect a certain sense of liberation from electoral pressures.

“Nothing’s pushing him right now to make a decision, so we’re not going to know for a while, but it seems to me that it’s the maverick McCain once again,” Solop said. “Post-presidential election and post-Senate election, he can really stake out his own territory.”

Jack August Jr., an Arizona political historian and author, called McCain “a unique brand” in the state’s history and a skillful, pragmatic politician.

“If you really take the long view, it’s kind of remarkable that, as the Republican electorate in Arizona has tacked to the right, he has been able to ride that wave, win his primaries and then the general election,” August said. “I think John McCain, if he chose to run, would be very difficult to beat because he has reached, in his own and unique way, institutional status.”

Read More: http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/articles/20...

• MisterOriginal 2013/07/13 04:41:12
    MisterOriginal
    +1
    I don't stalk Sarah Palin.
  • Lana 2013/06/28 21:07:27
    Lana
    +1
    palin 2016!
  • LVslotdoc 2013/06/20 19:29:32
    LVslotdoc
    +2
    If all she wants to be is a Senator, she can take up residency in any conservative state. So what exactly are her motives? I still think she was a contributing factor for why Barack Obama won in 2008. I mean I don't dislike her, but why did McCain choose HER as his running mate?
  • freddy v. 2013/06/20 06:26:56
    freddy v.
    i'm sorry i can not read her mind. the print is too small, and it appears to be scribbled.
  • Old Salt 2013/06/18 21:13:07
  • ChiTown... Old Salt 2013/06/18 21:27:52
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    Great post Old Salt, I agree with you. McCain should be honored for his service always, but he is a RINO plain and simple. So true about his elitist attitude, it shows and it smells. Do you think he'll run again? He hasn't really said and he'll be into his 80s during his term, which who cares many ppl are living so much longer, but I think he should retire for reasons other than age, he's been there WAY to long, need some new blood in there. McCain is like a relic already..

I love Ted Cruz, he's so awesome, did you see his new commercial saying we should abolish the IRS? I like it and agree...as for Sarah, I never thought it was a good pick for VP, but she was capable as Gov. I think she did a phenomenal job getting ppl like Ted Cruz elected. She will do all she can for 2014 too.

I posted this question because she's been living in Arizona now for a while and they say she prefers it there, so just wondering if this might be her plan...
  • Old Salt ChiTown... 2013/06/19 05:13:40
  • DoxieDad 2013/06/18 12:33:28
    DoxieDad
    +1
    Arizonians are not that stupid
  • Magus BN-0 2013/06/18 09:52:25
    Magus BN-0
    +2
    Palin's not going to run for office. Doing so would put an end to the gravy train from speaking fees, selling ghostwritten books and using "SarahPAC" as her personal slush fund.
  • ChiTown... Magus BN-0 2013/06/18 10:08:34
    ChiTownGirl
    Obama's 2 lame books were ghostwritten by Bill Ayers, be that as it may, I'm glad she's worth over $20 million now...so you might have a point, hard to give that up. She earned every penny !!
  • Magus BN-0 ChiTown... 2013/06/18 18:29:40 (edited)
    Magus BN-0
    +1
    No, they weren't. Obama's books were written by Obama. BTW, Palin's net worth is $12 million right now. And she hasn't done much to earn it at all.
  • ChiTown... Magus BN-0 2013/06/18 21:07:49
    ChiTownGirl
    Guaranteed those 2 books were written by Ayers...writing style the same, proven without a doubt. Accept it. Obama began his political career in this POS man's house...right around the block from where he lives in Chicago...not surprising this man HATES America too...2 peas in a pod, loved spending $100 million together for a few years, got a taste of the power and $$$. Sorry about the wrong figure for Sarah...$12 million? With her frugality, which I love, she should be worth $20 million in no time...ahhh capitalism.

bill ayers stomping on flag
  • Magus BN-0 ChiTown... 2013/06/18 23:13:39
    Magus BN-0
    +1
    Your "guarantee" is based on nothing.
    http://www.philocomp.net/huma...

Also, when has Palin demonstrated "frugality"?
  • Queen B 2013/06/18 08:14:59
    Queen B
    +1
    That fame whore? Who knows. She only wants a gig that pays her more than she is worth and one that she can quit half way through.
    palin is stupid
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2013/06/18 06:01:31
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +1
    I sure as hell hope not.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2013/06/18 00:27:54
  • James 2013/06/17 17:57:39
    James
    God I hope not. I'm actually planning on moving to AZ in the next couple years and I don't want to see her face across the cul-de-sac....
  • remy 2013/06/17 17:08:09
    remy
    +4
    She's stupid, but I don't think she's THAT stupid~besides, she doesn't want to be tied down to any job that has rules that must be followed. Because the rules would interfere with her being all "maverick-y"...lol
  • Linnster remy 2013/06/17 17:11:50
    Linnster
    +4
    I agree, but she could always quit whenever she didn't like it.
  • remy Linnster 2013/06/17 17:59:48
    remy
    +3
    And we can be SURE that she would. Being a public servant wouldn't allow her to be in the limelight all the time, and she wouldn't be able to take that. Besides, I don't think people are stupid enough to vote her into ANY public office. Except maybe some folks here on SH. :))
  • Linnster remy 2013/06/18 02:08:30
    Linnster
    +2
    I agree. She can make more money and have less constraints as an ordinary citizen than as a politician and she doesn't have to worry about losing another election.
  • remy Linnster 2013/06/18 05:02:49
    remy
    +1
    Besides, who is gonna take her seriously as a politician EVER again? Once a quitter, ALWAYS a quitter.
  • Linnster remy 2013/06/18 10:44:51
    Linnster
    +1
    There are plenty of fools out there. :)
  • remy Linnster 2013/06/18 19:03:23
    remy
    +1
    Well, that IS true.....anything could happen, I guess.
  • Linnster remy 2013/06/18 19:10:48
    Linnster
    +2
    Bush got elected twice. I rest my case.
  • remy Linnster 2013/06/20 06:18:23
  • freddy v. Linnster 2013/06/20 06:24:47
    freddy v.
    +1
    i'll take what's a great answer for a thousand Linnster. the daily double!!!
  • Linnster freddy v. 2013/06/20 11:22:06
    Linnster
    Thank you, sir. :)
  • Tattoo Nana 2013/06/17 16:59:28
    Tattoo Nana
    +3
    I don't know why in the world she would think she could govern Arizona when she quit her Governorship in Alaska after failing the VP. It was as if she lost interest as soon as the Presidential election was over. I do applaud her mothering skills and know that she has a special needs child which takes even more time.

I lost all confidence (what little I had) in her when the election ended and then she stepped down from her Alaska Gvt. job. I think that she is probably a great person to chat with, she cares about her kids, and I actually admit that we watched ONE episode of their life as the Palins do it. One was all we could stomach.

I have both respect and disdain for her as a woman. Yes, she has over the average number of children, including the little guy with Downs'. She also had a daughter who was pregnant and still in high school. Some of her morals don't jive with many other peoples'. And there's that nasty little issue about her quitting once the Presidential fire went out. I think she should have finished her term, she stated that she needed to spend more time with her family - what in the world would she have done if elected to the big job?

The NRA would be tickled to death, LOL I didn't vote for McCain out of the fear that his age would incapacitate hi...

The NRA would be tickled to death, LOL I didn't vote for McCain out of the fear that his age would incapacitate him and we would then have Bubble Head Palin in charge of our country! I am sure I'm not the only one who voted that way either, i know plenty. The BEST stuff was the skits they played her as on Saturday Night Live, I will never forget the "debate" where she asked to "to use lifeline". Funny stuff.
  • frank 2013/06/17 16:05:55
    frank
    +2
    Her running for any seat in congress would be a bad idea for the GOP. I feel that doing so would only give that seat to the Dumbocrats. Plus the fact the news media would have a field day with her.
  • Rebel Yell 2013/06/17 15:40:57
    Rebel Yell
    +3
    Sarah has no interest in governance. She likes the thrill of the hunt. The campaign trail, conventions, etc. Interviews on FOX. Not sitting in a congressional committee with no cameras present, arguing about taxes or immigration or education. Sarah doesn't have the attention span . Also, she has no ties to Arizona. What issue in that state has she championed ?
  • ChiTown... Rebel Yell 2013/06/17 15:52:19
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    Attention span? You think Obama has a good attention span? If you do, well, we see what that got us. She ran Alaska like a champ and will Arizona too if she gets the chance. I NEVER see Obama working, do you? Does he EVER sit in the Oval Office and actually work? She's been living in Arizona for a few years now, has lots of time to establish residency for another 3 years and get to know the state, so she'll have been a resident for 5+ years.

What issue? Seriously? Uh, border control for one. Plus, her and Ted Cruz would work fabulously together, along with Rand Paul. If not, she'll put her energy into getting phenomenal conservatives elected like she did in 2010& 2012 and help get more elected for 2014 & 2016.
  • Tattoo ... ChiTown... 2013/06/17 17:07:12
    Tattoo Nana
    +1
    Just wanted to remind you that once she lost the VP and went back to Alaska, it was not long at all before she QUIT her Governorship in order to be with her family more. She was only interested in the Presidency level job.
  • ChiTown... Tattoo ... 2013/06/17 18:02:57
  • Rebel Yell ChiTown... 2013/06/17 17:28:03
    Rebel Yell
    +1
    Sarah was governor for a nanosecond. Alaskan legislators began wearing " Where's Sarah?" buttons because she didn't like to attend legislative meetings.(Anchorage Daily News) Sarah insisted they could just fax documents to her home. The legislators refused, reminding her she had to sign off and be present for discussions/vetoes. And then all the ethics charges started piling up, and of course Sarah went full throttle into victim mode.

Sarah is nothing more than a cartoon, very much like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz.
  • ChiTown... Rebel Yell 2013/06/17 18:06:34
    ChiTownGirl
    +1
    Seriously...seriously???

HELLO -- BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WAS NOT EVEN A SENATOR FOR LESS THAN A NANOSECOND...what a fool you are LOL

Rand Paul and Ted Cruz vs Obama in a debate (with no Teleprompters btw)...now that's a comedy show...Here's Obama..."Um, hmmm, uh, oh, oops, uh,...." As for victimhood, you libs got that plot dowwwwwnnn....
  • Traveller  2013/06/17 14:25:42
    Traveller 
    +3
    Dunno. We'll see.
  • Faye 2013/06/17 11:41:39
    Faye
    +4
    I don't know but I can't see her doing a regular job--and the weather in Arizona would really require getting used to after Alaska.
  • Linnster Faye 2013/06/17 17:14:36
    Linnster
    +3
    Are there any wolves in AZ that she can shoot from a helicopter? I know for sure there aren't any moose for her to field dress.

2014/12/19 06:35:08