Is Ron Paul a major influence on American politics?

Blackjack 2012/04/26 14:07:48
Related Topics: Ron Paul, Politics, American

• Kalayaan 001 2012/04/29 07:01:58
    yes, explain
    Kalayaan 001
    +1
    Just look compare the words of politicians in the U.S. in the in the last 4 years.

In 2008...
    Who was the one talking about the Constitution?
    Who was talking about the National Debt?
    Who was talking about balancing the budget?
    Who was talking about the Federal Reserve and its need to be audited?

American politicians today are copying his words. Without this Founder of the Tea Party, the 2010 and 2012 elections would be very different.
  • Daniel 2012/04/27 07:01:22
    other, I think this
    Daniel
    +1
    I'm not quite sure he is a major influence, but it would be nice if he was. This country would be a lot better off.
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/04/27 04:11:36
    no, explain
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    No, the Racism, Hatred, and Homophobia of Ron Paul and the Tea Party have been around for ages.

Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

Ron Paul voted AGAINST awarding Rosa Parks the Congressional Medal of Freedom.

Ron Paul said he would have voted AGAINST the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Paul has a 30 year history of pandering to the KKK and White Power Movement.

You can make all the LAME excuses for White Supremacist Ron Paul you want. His actions speak louder than words

-FACT: Ron Paul's presidential campaign issued a flyer that boasted about the candidate's efforts to introduce legislation that would remove challenges to the anti-gay Defense of Marriage Act from the federal court system.
    http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

-FACT: Ron Paul's Iowa state director is Mike Heath, a long-term Christian-right activist who formerly served as the board chairman of an SPLC-certified anti-gay hate group known as "Americans for Truth About Homosexuality."
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

-FACT: Ron Paul has a long history of racist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic comments.
    http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

-FACT: As state above, Ron Paul supports the so-called "states' rights" approach to marriage, but interestingly, only for LGBT couples.
    http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul s...

Ron Paul voted AGAINST the MLK Holiday.

http://www.joemygod.blogspot....

http://thenewcivilrightsmovem...

http://www.tnr.com/article/po...

http://www.yourtango.com/2008...

-FACT: Ron Paul said, "If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress' constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a same-sex marriage license issued in another state."
    http://www.thepoliticalguide....

-FACT: Ron Paul opposes the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would prohibit discrimination against employees on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity by civilian, nonreligious employers.
    http://www.salon.com/2007/09/...
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Che Gue... 2012/04/28 14:36:03
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    K of C is a huge contributor to NOM. It appears as though NOM tried to hide their donation, much the same as they did Mitt Romney's. Since K of C is a 501 (c) (3) Charitable Organization, I'm wondering if they would jeopardize their exempt status by contributing to an organization that is active in direct campaigning (either for or against) candidates

National Organization for Marriage’s 2010 financial records raise questions
    http://washingtonindependent....

the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), a tax-exempt nonprofit trying to thwart the legalization of same-sex marriage throughout the U.S., reported the highest individual donations it has received since its inception in 2007,
  • Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of ... 2012/04/27 03:53:17
    no, explain
    Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of Phaet
    +1
    He is a non factor and very few take him seriously.
  • Michael=Constitution & Liberty 2012/04/27 03:46:38
    yes, explain
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +3
    This guy is solid, and why he would have my vote.
  • mike j 2012/04/27 03:44:51 (edited)
    other, I think this
    mike j
    +2
    I wish that Ron Paul was taken more seriously.He is a true American and believes in the American way , the dignity of the individual Citizen, the idea that a person is smart enough to decide what they need to do and what they want for themselves and their family, freedom from Government intrusion and over burdening taxation , that America does not need to mind the business of other countries and meddel into the politics of others outside the United States . Ron Paul wants jobs in America and a healthy business enviroment so that America can have products and goods to sell and trade to the world market . Ron Paul is a Viet Nam Air Force Veterian , he understands the military man and the role and mission of the US Military . I know Ron Paul has seen the mental and physical damage done to men that serve on behalf of all Americans, I believe that Ron Paul would never ever commit our American Military troops to fight a war that we never entended to conquer and win , I believe that Ron Paul would never commit our troops without the full support and backing of the American Citizens and Congress. I think Ron Paul would tell the United Nations to take a hike. I support and wish the best for Ron Paul.
  • Nik 2012/04/27 03:37:55
    yes, explain
    Nik
    +3
    The Grandfather of the Tea Party movement. Ron Paul's ideas that he campaigned in 2007 laid the roots of the Tea Party. He is directly the reason that budget has become such a major issue in congress.

He has an extraordinarily broad appeal. He predicted and tried to fix the housing and credit bubbles, he is pro-life, anti-war, pro-legalization, anti-bailout, pro-tax cut, pro-spending cut, pro-civil liberties, and a strict constitutionalist. What more? These are not only his positions, but he has a 30 year record that can actually back them up. Find me one other candidate for the presidency in the last 30 years that can actually back up his policy claims. You can't.

Don't listen to BS about Ron Paul not being electable. The mainstream media is in bed with the government and the wall street bankers. Ron Paul is ignored because he is the only real threat to the status quo.

What is unelectable about a candidate who did not support widely criticized war, did not support the unpopular bailouts and stimulus, and has never voted for an unbalanced budget?

Might I add that in 2002 Ron Paul gave a speech on the house floor laying out the imminent credit crisis. He knew that the housing bubble would burst. He knew that the Federal Reserve over-extended credit. Only Ron Paul tried to stop it.

Nobody. Listened.
  • JohnT 2012/04/27 03:24:44
    no, explain
    JohnT
    +1
    His foreign policies suck and if it weren't for that people would vote for him and he would make a difference. I really like him but some of the radical stuff most cannot identify with .
  • Savior JohnT 2012/04/27 03:28:46
    Savior
    +1
    you cannot identify with the founders of our country?
  • JohnT Savior 2012/04/28 15:21:25
    JohnT
    I can, I like the guy, but obviously by the lack of electorate votes it is clear he doesn't have the support
  • Savior 2012/04/27 03:23:14
    other, I think this
    Savior
    +2
    Yeah and no

No because he's not an establishment hand picked, big government joke like the two vying for the presidency.

Yeah because he is the voice for the liberty movement, a movement that will get stronger as people realize government intrusion is a bad thing. He has been a lonely but strong voice for years. When being a libertarian was unpopular, he stuck to his beliefs. And right now we as a movement are beginning to see the rewards of his persistence. It may not happen in 2012, but within the next decade the liberty movement will be strong enough to catapult and liberty-minded person into the WH. And when that time comes Ron Paul's influence will be felt more than it is felt now.

Also in current times he's brought issues to the table, that otherwise wouldn't be there. For example the conversation about the federal reserve.
  • Live Free Or Die 2012/04/27 01:32:29
    yes, explain
    Live Free Or Die
    +5
    His anti-war, non-imperialist stance is supported by many, along with his libertarian, pro-Life stance. He's definitely had an influence in the Republican party and beyond.
  • jacob crim 2012/04/27 00:34:38 (edited)
    yes, explain
    jacob crim
    +8
    Believe it or not and I choose to believe, Ron Paul supporters will make or break this election which is all the influence he needs to make. The majority of them will not vote for Romney because would could care less about the party, we know Romney is a RINO even if others do not think it so. Not only that Ron Paul is actually getting people interested in politics because he is a rarity. For 30 plus years he has been saying the same things, fighting the same battles in trying to get the Federal Government off our backs. You do not have many politicians fighting for the American people, they generally fight for the corporations. So having one guy fighting for regular folks gives people inspiration, which Mitt Romney does not he just puts people to sleep. With Ron Paul you can tell its not rhetoric, not only because he has been doing it for 30 years but how emotionally involved he is. When a politician is debating something, being calm and poised to me makes it look fake. I hope that in 2016 a lot of people realize no matter how outside the mainstream his views are they were right. Its the mainstream idea's that are wrong on foreign policy, drugs and government size. It is time the people stop listening to the news and do a bit of research themselves, only then will they start to learn.

Ron paul come at me bro
  • David L... jacob crim 2012/04/27 02:54:38
  • Classic... David L... 2012/04/27 03:31:53
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    And yet, you're the one drinking the kool-aid.
  • David L... Classic... 2012/04/27 03:53:25
    David Lindner
    I am? How?
  • Classic... David L... 2012/04/27 03:56:46
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    Who do you support for President if not Ron Paul?
  • David L... Classic... 2012/04/27 04:11:23
    David Lindner
    And supporting Ron Paul isn't Kool aid?
  • Classic... David L... 2012/04/27 14:24:55
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    Just answer my question, then also tell me why. 99% sure it's the kool-aid, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
  • David L... Classic... 2012/04/27 16:37:04
    David Lindner
    i answered your question with a question. answer mine.
  • Classic... David L... 2012/04/27 19:12:56
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    I don't like Kool-aid, I'm more of a soda guy myself, but I support Ron Paul anyways.
  • jacob crim David L... 2012/04/27 11:03:03
    jacob crim
    +1
    Thank you for a insightful post that actually has merit to it.
  • sbtbill 2012/04/27 00:16:57
    other, I think this
    sbtbill
    I think Ron Paul has been an influence but not a major influence. He would probably have been more of an influence if he'd run as an anti-war Democrat.
  • ladyjane sbtbill 2012/04/27 01:56:15
    ladyjane
    +1
    Are you saying that you are pro war? This war must stop! No more of our troops must die! Not to mention that they want to stay another decade! I guess that the 10 year olds today will look forward to being there? What's wrong with that picture????
  • Classic... sbtbill 2012/04/27 03:33:11
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    not a chance. His economic, fiscal, and abortion views would have made it impossible for him. If it were just fiscal or just abortion (or even both), maybe he'd survive, but not with all three of them.
  • Jay Theyme 2012/04/26 23:52:42
    yes, explain
    Jay Theyme
    +2
    Love him and his tin-foil hat but yes I will give all credit due to RP - he has brought straight-talk back into fashion and yes he has brought up a lot of important issues (such as the problem of worthless paper money),
    and,
    I appreciate how he can often 'spell it out' and yet does so intelligently. Not condescending, not 'baffle-gab'. Just the straight goods.

So yeah, definitely a lot of credit due. I think he is a bit of a nut. I agree with a lot he says. I disagree with others. But I do respect him. And hey.. as annoying as his RP-Truthers are - AT LEAST you can say he did get them active, voting, participating. That is a good thing eventually, we hope.
  • Charge 2012/04/26 23:06:04
    yes, explain
    Charge
    +5
    He showed the effectiveness of straight talk, regardless of whether people agree or not.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/04/26 22:49:49
    no, explain
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    +1
    I don't see him that way.And I don'tthink he can win .All the vote's placed for him end up helping obama win again.My Vote Is for Romney.
  • Tink123 2012/04/26 22:46:34 (edited)
    yes, explain
    Tink123
    +8
    Yep. He framed the entire debate for this election and meaningfully at that.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/04/26 21:31:36
  • ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒ 2012/04/26 21:20:12
    no, explain
    ♒ßεllεchεvεllε®♒
    +1
    He's ignored a lot.
  • boneman1 2012/04/26 21:06:10
    no, explain
    boneman1
    +1
    Ron Paul has some great ideas when it comes to supporting the constitution and domestic policy, but his foreign policy ideas are a little ridiculous. The reason he's not now and never will be a major influence is because most other politicians don't want to be tied to him because of his stances on the military and foreign policy.
  • Chokmah boneman1 2012/04/26 22:46:56
  • sbtbill boneman1 2012/04/27 00:18:16
    sbtbill
    Funny, I think he has a great foreign policy and a poor domestic policy.
  • ScottyG - Faqueue 2012/04/26 21:04:16
    no, explain
    ScottyG - Faqueue
    In all his years, he has only one piece of legislation passed.
    If you can't get your own to take you seriously, how can you expect America to?
  • Wolfstar 2012/04/26 21:03:43
    no, explain
    Wolfstar
    +2
    Only his cult followers think he is.
  • A Founding Father 2012/04/26 20:30:14
    no, explain
    A Founding Father
    +1
    Any candidate getting 3-10% of the votes of a particular political party isn't a major influence on anything except his own delusions. That would represent 1.5 to 5% of the
    total voting population in a national election. Hardly the thing that will wrest the Republican
    Party from the hands of corporatism and Wall Street's billionaires. Recall Bob Dole, Ross Perot, Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle, and Nelson Rockefeller? No? Well, there is the lesson to be learned.
  • U-Dog 2012/04/26 20:27:18
    yes, explain
    U-Dog
    +5
    If Ron Paul and his supporters were not a significant influence the ABO OvoMItt nuts would not be screaming like stuck pigs about how Paul supporters are traitors who are going to cost them the election.

Ron Paul compared dropping out of the race now to walking off the track in the third lap of a mile race. "Yes, you run to win," Paul said. ..."You don't quit because you happen to be behind. You want to see how you do," ..."And who knows, maybe somebody will stumble. You can't ever tell."

Most ADD sheople want a sound bite ridden beauty contest and they simply don't want to hear about or just flat out don't get Ron Paul's platform of limited government, free markets, the elimination of the Federal Reserve and a return to the gold standard. However, Ron Paul is very influential among young college students, and thinking liberty lovers in this country, who see the major party establishment as crony colluders in the politically collective demise of their liberties and wealth.

Ron Paul is leading the charge to change the nature of the political debate and that in itself is a win win for our nation.
  • ☆ QueenAline 2012/04/26 20:12:56
    other, I think this
    ☆ QueenAline
    Altho I only disagree with his foreign policy, he's a thorn in the side....

2014/09/30 14:07:32