Is Romney a conservative or moderate? How can you tell?

gocar 2012/08/08 21:43:32
The Romney that is now running for President is so far from the guy who was governor of Mass. and the guy who ran against Kennedy. I don't quite know what he stands for or if he stands for anything other that getting elected. How can he say he is only a business man when he has been running for office for 20 years?

• heather.elliott3 2012/10/19 20:58:22
    Romeny is
    heather.elliott3
    Romney is moderately conservative. When running against an incumbant (the candidate who currently holds the job) candidates tend take hand-line stances in order to draw a sharp contrast between themselves and the incumbent because if voters can't see that there is a very clear difference they are more likely to just stick with the incumbent even if he or she is unpopular and hasn't done a good job. Generally speaking, it is better to review a candidates record instead of listening to what they are saying.
  • kyle 2012/08/08 22:35:15
    I think
    kyle
    Romney doesn't know what he is. The democrats already have a candidate so he will be conservative.
  • sketchbone 2012/08/08 22:25:05
    I think
    sketchbone
    +1
    Romney is a moderate but is to the right of Obama, which is all that really matters. He's got my vote.
  • ken sketchbone 2012/08/08 22:30:14
    ken
    +1
    I'll hold my nose and vote for him. He can't do any worse. I hope.
  • Fef 2012/08/08 22:24:14
    Romeny is
    Fef
    +1
    moderate to Liberal.

Romney campaigned as a Conservative during the primary to win that election (all the candidates do/have to).

Romney's governing style from historical record shows him governing with moderate and bi-partisan policies
  • ken Fef 2012/08/08 22:35:00
    ken
    It's hard to say what either candidate will do, since neither one has done anything but attack his opponent. Liberals seem to be stuck on the tax return issue and refuse to admit Obama has failed to keep most of his campaign promises. On the other hand, Romney hasn't given us any clue how he'd change things for the better. He just continues to point out Obama's obvious shortcomings. Things most thinking Americans already know.
  • gocar ken 2012/08/10 18:43:13
    gocar
    What promises did Obama not keep. Gitmo is one that is a sore spot with me but you name others for me.
  • ken gocar 2012/08/10 21:56:07
    ken
    I'll just name one, no since getting started on a novel. Obama promised to veto any healthcare bill that didn't pay for itself.
  • gocar Fef 2012/08/10 18:42:26
    gocar
    I doubt Romney will be able to become moderate. Like Reagan and Bush he will have handlers and his position will be ceremonial with speeches written for him. The GOP has become so filled with right wingers that as President Romney will have no choice in the matter. The agenda will not be set by him. If you want the same crowd to have control of Washington as did during the Bush years -- go right ahead and vote for Mr. Chameleon.
  • ken 2012/08/08 22:16:25
    I think
    ken
    I think both candidates are the wrong choice for this country to move forward. Obama proved in his first term all he cares about is his legacy, popularity and fame. He can't run on his dismal record so all he and his supporters have left are attacks against his opponent.
  • gocar ken 2012/08/10 18:50:00
    gocar
    Every election on the national scale we hear the very same thing from voters. They believe they are not being given a good choice but what did they do to pick the choice? Great buckets of money finally got Romney the nomination but vilifying he GOP Primary opponents. It was very close because on the local level the Tea Party is out there working the streets and the phones and putting their money where their mouths are. I have been to local Democratic meetings where maybe 6 to 12 people show up from a voting district that has thousands. Like all politics the people who show up determine the outcomes. Most people go about their daily lives and don't give politics a thought unless their own interest is being ignored. Most are not altruistic enough to work for the common good. Unfortunately the right wingers are always a little more fired up because it is so much easier to be against things that propose what you are for to make the country better. Rhetoric only takes you so far.
  • ken gocar 2012/08/10 22:00:41
    ken
    Obama bought the last election with a little over 756 million dollars. A new world record. It seems that he'll be spending even more than that this time, not counting the taxpayer money funding all of his travels.

By the way, the only election I missed was between George Bush and Ann Richards for Texas governor. I figured Richards would win easily and the rest is history, as you well know. I won't make that mistake again.
  • Waldorf 2012/08/08 22:06:28
    I think
    Waldorf
    +1
    it doesn't matter. Who else are you going to vote for?
  • Superman 2012/08/08 21:49:40
    Romeny is
    Superman
    +1
    Romney is a moderate. Romney's top priority is the economy and jobs. He's personally a social conservative, he shares those views. But they clearly aren't the number one issue for him. He respects states rights, so while he may personally have a Conservative stance on an issue, he's not going to go against the will of individual states unless they do something patently unConstitutional. My point being that if California does liberal thing x, he's not going to knee jerk and try to pass federal legislation y to counteract it. He's going to focus on the business of keeping the nation economically strong before we slide fully into the European funk.

Whats going to confuse some people is that he has to talk more about his personal Conservative views since he's running in a broader arena with more voting Conservatives than before.
  • Superman Superman 2012/08/08 21:51:14
    Superman
    BTW, SABT below commented on a thread of mine and blocked me even though I don't think he paid any attention to the point I was making (a point that his response agreed with actually). I'd love for someone to direct him to try rereading what I wrote or contacting me again so he looks less foolish for blocking someone on his own side.
  • ken Superman 2012/08/08 22:12:39
    ken
    It's kinda like choosing between pneumonia and emphysema in my opinion. Neither one cares about the average hard working American citizen. Both are bought and sold by special interests.
  • Superman ken 2012/08/09 04:31:29
    Superman
    I never get tired of hearing the same old cynical rhetoric about "bought by special interests". Oh wait, it gets very tiring.
  • kevracer 2012/08/08 21:47:50 (edited)
    I think
    kevracer
    +1
    this week he is moderately conservative, next week he may be super conservative and when he was Mass Governor he was moderately liberal. With Willard it's hard to tell what he'll be depends on the audience

I think hard Right wingers call him a RINO, but for them it only matters than he is not THAT black guy
  • ken kevracer 2012/08/08 22:09:33
    ken
    At least this post asks a legitimate question, as opposed to most on the left harping about taxes. Do you honestly think Obama being "the black guy" is why most people oppose him?

Disclaimer: I'm not a Romney supporter, either. I just don't think we can afford four more years of Obama. Let the name calling begin.
  • kevracer ken 2012/08/08 22:13:57 (edited)
    kevracer
    +1
    "Do you honestly think Obama being "the black guy" is why most people oppose him?"

Not "most' but "some" certainly do -enough people have stated it repeatedly to me over the last four years to believe that
  • ken kevracer 2012/08/08 22:19:30
    ken
    +1
    I can no longer defend those folks you're talking about, because there is a segment of the population that proves you right again and again. Please try not to lump all of us into that category.
  • kevracer ken 2012/08/08 22:25:52
    kevracer
    +1
    agreed- not all
  • Outta' Here. 2012/08/08 21:44:44
    I think
    Outta' Here.
    +1
    I don't really care. He's not the guy who screwed things up even worse after Bush left, that's all that matters.

2014/10/25 02:59:01