Is Religion A Drug?

brutusin~ Proud Apetheist 2010/01/27 15:17:35
Yes religion could classify as a drug.
No Religion can't qualify as a drug.
What Drug are you on???
So could religion qualify as a drug. This is an abstract thought, but thinking about it there are a lot of people hooked on religion.

I'm in no way indicating that religion is a mental disorder. It just seems to me that there are signs of addiction to religion.

I also know that it isn't a chemical. This is an abstract thought.

Also if you feel like it what are the signs someone is addicted to religion?

• nightlight 2010/01/27 18:57:42
    nightlight
    +3
    Religion is a mental illness; delusion. The criteria for diagnosing delusion are:
    1.) Certainty (held with absolute conviction).
    2.) Incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary.)
    3.) Impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre, or patently untrue.)

• dejurebenton 2010/01/28 08:16:10
    What Drug are you on???
    dejurebenton
    +1
    religion is a sick form of subjugation, has been since emperor constantine (332 c.e.) intergraded christianity with his mothers pagan belief of sun worship (sol invictus), his ultimate objective was political gain. he installed his blue laws, forcing people to worship on the first day of the week (sunday), and people meaning everyone, including jews! they knew what day to set aside for YAHWAH, they knew very well what the forth commandment said. however with the enforcement of the'blue laws', they were persecuted and martyred if they refused to obey. the epiphany of the power religion has was finally discovered by the gentiles. it reached its most perverse state when emperor justinian declared all power of the state to the church and that is when the papacy began (527 c.e.) and true religion was completely obscured and set aside by traditional mans religion!!! all the powers to be wanted control of the holy city (jerusalem) around this time, especially the papacy. so they decided to create a new religion, a rebelious religion. the agreement was to take over the holy city and hand it over to the papacy. when this religion finally took control of the city they realized they were a force to be reckoned with, these mercaneries decided to keep the holy city all to themselves. they ...
    religion is a sick form of subjugation, has been since emperor constantine (332 c.e.) intergraded christianity with his mothers pagan belief of sun worship (sol invictus), his ultimate objective was political gain. he installed his blue laws, forcing people to worship on the first day of the week (sunday), and people meaning everyone, including jews! they knew what day to set aside for YAHWAH, they knew very well what the forth commandment said. however with the enforcement of the'blue laws', they were persecuted and martyred if they refused to obey. the epiphany of the power religion has was finally discovered by the gentiles. it reached its most perverse state when emperor justinian declared all power of the state to the church and that is when the papacy began (527 c.e.) and true religion was completely obscured and set aside by traditional mans religion!!! all the powers to be wanted control of the holy city (jerusalem) around this time, especially the papacy. so they decided to create a new religion, a rebelious religion. the agreement was to take over the holy city and hand it over to the papacy. when this religion finally took control of the city they realized they were a force to be reckoned with, these mercaneries decided to keep the holy city all to themselves. they advised the papacy that the holy city belonged to the "muslims", thats absolutely correct people! the papacy created islam (570 c.e.),to do its dirty work in order to capture jerusalem!! however, their tyrannical plan horribly backfired on the guile of christianity's core, igniting the dark ages and ultimately creating the so called "christian crusades" of the 11th-13th centuries.... so is religion a drug? no, humans are the drug!! we took material that, in my eyes, is a well designed guide to a healthy, happy, and simple way of life and used it to facilitate our obsession with systematic power, control,greed,and servitude!!and slowly but surely along the way ripping and shredding out all its poignant examples and meaning on how to live in a prosperous manner. (religIon is latin, re; come back, ligion's root is ligament; hold together... Religion:come back together!!! we see that no where in today's religion..........
  • Tomus Megalomania 2010/01/28 06:38:15
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    Tomus Megalomania
    +1
    It is the "opiate of the masses" as Marx says.
  • FRED 2010/01/28 04:42:25 (edited)
    No Religion can't qualify as a drug.
    FRED
    +1
    is just a simple lie
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    If you are religious you are hooked on a drug like ritual. If you are a Christian you are freed from this addiction.
  • Joleen 2010/01/28 01:15:36
    What Drug are you on???
    Joleen
    Yes, people can be addicted to religion-- but not necessarily in the way you think. Basically the definition of addiction is something that becomes habit forming. Check out the profiles of some of the atheists who have answered this question. About 80- 90% of the questions they choose to reply to are about religion.

I'm sure you asked this question in reference to believers but why? Clearly the concept of religion is intriguing and captivating to believers and non-believers alike.
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    +1
    ya think?
  • MrPKitty 2010/01/27 21:07:55
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    MrPKitty
    +1
    All addicting drugs are done for the chemical reaction they cause in the brain.
    Dopamine floods the brain and you feel euphoric, sublime, closer to god.

Some people get the same thing from their religion. Especially when practiced in groups. Like at a church.
  • Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET 2010/01/27 20:59:24
    Ves~Sailor Soldier of PHAET
    +1
    I think people become addicted to religion because they see it as a way of truth. Most people who are addicted to religion will more than likely quote the bible at most costs during a debate. Instead of taking a quote and putting it towards a plausable defense or offense when debating. They quote the straight text. To me it shows little of thought. As if they couldn't think of a way to express themself, so they had to choose something from the bible to back up their claim, altho some text taken from the bible can still be misplaced in a debate.

It is def not an illness for people to follow a belief of religion, but it is a way of life for them. Just like how the goverment will set out laws, just like how americans follow their constitutional rights. Religion offers people (who follow religion) a set of "laws" and "rights".

However the thought of personal opinion gets abused here. While someone of religion is taught that what they are learning is truth, then what they believe is fact (or so this is how it seems when I come across talking to a religious person). However, since there are so many religious denominations, there are going to be conflicts even between different religious people. Each religion will classify their own "laws" and "rights" who to follow [God, Jesus, ...

However the thought of personal opinion gets abused here. While someone of religion is taught that what they are learning is truth, then what they believe is fact (or so this is how it seems when I come across talking to a religious person). However, since there are so many religious denominations, there are going to be conflicts even between different religious people. Each religion will classify their own "laws" and "rights" who to follow [God, Jesus, or Mary and so on] and whom hold importance in order to create the influence behind ones thoughts.

This is where the people want government and religion to stay seperate, because it creates conflict. People can not affiliate what should stay in and out of state relations. In the long run people are in every right allowed their religious stance. Its just when it becomes a forceful one, that religion is going to be chastise. "You can't force people to believe what you believe" its true.

Now I am not saying that what I have written above it true or proven. This is just what I have seen, so I wanted to give my opinion. I know many will not agree with me, but I use to be a strong religious person, except I new my grounds. I didn't preach, I didn't force, I just shared my views. I am now more on a spiritual ground. I believe there is something or someone of higher deity out there, I don't force my beliefs, and I don't let it interfere with my moral beliefs on human rights.
  • I quit!!! 2010/01/27 19:19:43
    I quit!!!
    For me it is not a religion. Instead it is a relationship with My Loving Father In heaven through Jesus My Lord and Savior. I have living relatives here on earth. Two of them are my daughters and one is my mother. In comparison with them I love My Father in heaven through Jesus more then I love my own mother and daughters. It is a deep love that I feel inside of me. It is not a drug. It is a commitment in Love. It is one spirit (that is me) who loves another Spirit (Who is God). To put it in another way! If you are married you love your spouse fully with all your heart. You are committed to him/her.

I love God the same way but much more. I am committed to him now, but admittedly acknowledging that I’m not fully committed. This is because other things keep me from it. But I am striving to become fully committed to him with all my heart mind and soul. We as Christian’s know that other things are in our way keeping us from being fully committed to God. But we also know that we have a great desire to become fully committed to Him. This great desire is because we love him so much that we can’t help ourselves from wanting this full commitment we are seeking. This to the non-believer might see this as some sort of underlined mental state of mind or drug as you so put it. But he trut...

I love God the same way but much more. I am committed to him now, but admittedly acknowledging that I’m not fully committed. This is because other things keep me from it. But I am striving to become fully committed to him with all my heart mind and soul. We as Christian’s know that other things are in our way keeping us from being fully committed to God. But we also know that we have a great desire to become fully committed to Him. This great desire is because we love him so much that we can’t help ourselves from wanting this full commitment we are seeking. This to the non-believer might see this as some sort of underlined mental state of mind or drug as you so put it. But he truth is simply That we Christians purely and truthful love God beyond the love of an unbelievers understanding. This is because they are not in our shoes. To fully understand the kind of Love I have with my Father in heave you must be in my shoes.
  • ashdragon88 2010/01/27 19:16:02
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    ashdragon88
    +1
    i agree that many people become addicted to religion and rely on it for the strength to get through the day. In that way i agree that yes ... religion could be considered drug like. And also like any other possibly addictive substance, religion is only good in moderation.
  • nightlight 2010/01/27 18:57:42
    nightlight
    +3
  • Boudicca nightlight 2010/01/27 22:54:23
    Boudicca
    That's a pretty tight summation, nightlight! With respect, what if we substituted the obverse (of the premise), while adhering to the same criteria?
  • nightlight Boudicca 2010/01/28 14:54:11
    nightlight
    "...what if we substitute the obverse (of the premise, while adhering to the same criteria?"
    Your argument makes no sense. And I didn't invent these criteria myself; these criteria are from the American Psychiatric Association. What I said still stands.
  • FUTURE BREEZE 2010/01/27 18:32:04
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    FUTURE BREEZE
    +1
    yes.. l would definately put them all on the same register as CRACKHEADS
  • Fr Kelsey Graham 2010/01/27 18:18:18
    Yes religion could classify as a drug.
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +2
    Religion can be put into the same catogory as any other tool of escapsim from life. Some people turn to entertainment to keep them from thinking. Some turn to games. Those who tend to be thinkers are more engaged in life. Thinkers tend to be doers. Getting about the business of living. Climbing mountains, hiking, exploring. People who need crutches are prone to be followers. The thought of death scares them to the point that they need an escape. A drug. Alchohol. All rational leaves. All reasoning is replaced with "I believe!!!"' It also gives them a feeling of belonging to something. Just belonging to life and the living is not enough for these folks. To me they, like drug induced people, miss out on the life they have seeking a life that may never be. Thanks be for those who chose to explore life and this world and universe. Thanks be for those who dared to question. For here we sit enjoying the benefits of the exploring and questioning these livers of life did. They refused to simply say "Thunder is the voice of god- I know it because I believe it!" No they looked. They saw the lightening and learned about electricity from it. They studied the squid and developed jet engines from what they learned. They dared to either balance thier beliefs with the "not knowing" factor and...
    Religion can be put into the same catogory as any other tool of escapsim from life. Some people turn to entertainment to keep them from thinking. Some turn to games. Those who tend to be thinkers are more engaged in life. Thinkers tend to be doers. Getting about the business of living. Climbing mountains, hiking, exploring. People who need crutches are prone to be followers. The thought of death scares them to the point that they need an escape. A drug. Alchohol. All rational leaves. All reasoning is replaced with "I believe!!!"' It also gives them a feeling of belonging to something. Just belonging to life and the living is not enough for these folks. To me they, like drug induced people, miss out on the life they have seeking a life that may never be. Thanks be for those who chose to explore life and this world and universe. Thanks be for those who dared to question. For here we sit enjoying the benefits of the exploring and questioning these livers of life did. They refused to simply say "Thunder is the voice of god- I know it because I believe it!" No they looked. They saw the lightening and learned about electricity from it. They studied the squid and developed jet engines from what they learned. They dared to either balance thier beliefs with the "not knowing" factor and seek answers instead of keeping the creeds and "I am saved" rote sayings. They dared to question the god their parents taught them about. And we dare to enjoy all they brought to us as we sit drunk on the teachings of religions??
  • brutusi... Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 18:49:41
  • Ladnar 2010/01/27 18:08:28
    Ladnar
    Liberalism is clearly a mental illness and I don't see people making threads asking if it is a drug.
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 19:00:03
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    Liberalism is a way of life not a belief system or religion. TO be liberal means that one believes in allowing others the freedom to do with thier lives as they choose without imputing motive or judgement. Being liberal means that you are allowed to live the life of a conservative......
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 19:19:50
    Ladnar
    Enough of the tired old-school definitions of liberal. Today’s Liberalism ideology is certainly a belief system bordering on a backwards religious cult. And it has nothing to do with freedom. Today’s Libs are like the Commies of old.
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 19:26:06 (edited)
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +3
    LIstening to Rush lately?? LOL sorry. Hey I am conservative liberal at the least. I cannot speak for the masses. Legalize pot and prostitution and restrict lobbying. Put term limits on every elected office. We already have a lot of socialism in our goverment and will always. Electricity is provided through socislism. Ever heard of social security? How many of the loud crowd crying socialism is turning that program down> Medicare? Yep I see that one being run from as well. FCC, FAA and on we go. Does it make me liberal socialist to want to see reform in health care? I can tell you my personal story should you care.... Yes McCarthy is back in full attire. Commie is now renamed LIberal. The enemy is always right here in out midst. Fear is the big event of the day......
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 19:58:24
    Ladnar
    I’ve only ever listened to Rush like once. Have you been listening to Obama?

Libs want to legalize pot and hookers but outlaw cigarettes and God.

Electricity should be a product or service one pays for as much as they use. And it is, until Libs get to meddling with it...

There was little “reform” in Obamacare. It was more a government growing Lib power grab that had little to do with actual healthcare. Healthcare was just the vehicle they used this time, much as Cap & Trade isn’t really about the environment.

Calling today’s Radical Leftist Libs “Commies” is no witch hunt. In case you haven’t noticed, a great many people are starting to share this view.
    And given the very real Commies in Hollywood who misuse their art for propaganda purposes these days, Senator McCarthy has been fully vindicated.
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:03:14
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    Like I stated I cannot speak for the masses. I do agree wtih legalizing pot and hookers but never suggest that religion be outlawed or cigs for that matter. I do think that religion should be totally removed from goverment to the extent of limiting the amount of lobbying any religious organization can do- as I feel the same about big business as well. As you noted I chuckled over the Rush comment I made in jest. I listen to Obama as much as I do any elected official. I will correct you though- Obama never had a health care bill. To call any of the bills obamacare is missleading to say the least. That movement was started over 40 years ago and is better called the kennedycare bill.........
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 20:15:01
    Ladnar
    I feel that Big Labor should be totally removed from government and their lobbying limited. And we need a separation of Liberalism and State.

Nostalgia aside, this healthcare “reform” sham is Obama’s baby, his signature issue he’s been pushing. Therefore the term “Obamacare” fits nicely. You wouldn’t be trying to distance your man from it in case it turns out to be a great big disaster, would you?
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:17:56
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +2
    My friend I do not know your age. I do know that this reform is not obamas baby. I myself was involved in the push for reform long before Obama was known by me or even thought of as presidential material. I can dig up writings that I and others wrote in support of national health care that pre-existed even the Bush administrations. Do not be fooled simply because this is taking place under his adminstration for if Hillary had won it would have been wrongly labeled as Hillarycare as well..........
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 20:21:59
    Ladnar
    Well, I suppose we could call it Liberal Sham Healthcare Non-reform but I think Obamacare has a better ring.
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:27:14 (edited)
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +2
    Well you may enjoy the "ring" it has. I just prefer a little honesty in my assessment of things- at least the best I can do with what I know as fact that is.... No man that fills the seat in the White House is a god. No man or woman who is entrusted with that seat of office should be trusted in totally. They are human. Even those whom I disslike I would prefer to believe were sincere- unforetunately the office has been now sold to big business and powerful lobbiest. No common man can attain that office now. It is a millionares club of folks who quickly lose touch with the reality of the common man. Add that with the talking head pundits and we all lose under most all of them.....Our own thinking becomes twisted, shady due to the missleading statements given to us as NEWS...
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 20:31:59
    Ladnar
    Yeah, that Lying Lib "News" Media is something else, innit?
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:35:54
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    Both sides of the fence my friend LOL- One must turn it all off to get anywhere near a truth from either side. true balance has been lost due to true news agencies having given in to ratings. Cable network news media is nothing more than overpaid biased talking heads on either side. When you dedicate so much air time to so called news you fill the gaps with these guys who spend their time twisting truths to fit agendas..... No matter whether it is MSNBC or FOX-
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 20:41:12
    Ladnar
    Well, it’s hardly fair or accurate to say ‘both sides do it just the same’ when the media runs about 100-to-1 Lib/ Con. That makes for a whole lot more Liberal liars than Rightie liars.
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:43:55 (edited)
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    Strange- I turn the dial on my xm radio and hear much more conservative talk than liberal. From Bill Cunningham to Rush LImbaugh. Granted I do not take in too much TV but I know that FOX rules the conservative airway on TV and MSNBC seems to be the liberal take. But from radio I need to have your assistance in finding all that liberal media you are speaking of. Even Coasttocoastam under George Noory has taken the conservative bent dramatically as of late......
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 20:56:21
    Ladnar
    Well, funny you should mention that. People were sick of getting lied to by the Left and as a result, just this week, Liberal radio Air America went under and Fox News won “Most Trusted News Source”. So this should tell you something…
  • Fr Kels... Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:58:09
    Fr Kelsey Graham
    +1
    I refuse to bite again!!!!! LOL Best wishes my friend. My hope is that the will of the people is done to the good of all....... A liberal said that ME!! LOL
  • Ladnar Fr Kels... 2010/01/27 21:11:48
    Ladnar
    Good talking to you, friend. ;)
  • ME Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:38:27
    ME
    Of course, it sounds more Rush like.
  • Iggy Ra... Fr Kels... 2010/01/28 00:43:16
    Iggy Raindrops
    [..] is like talking to a brick wall, trust me. Doesn't matter what you're talking about he'll make it about Liberals.
  • Ladnar Iggy Ra... 2010/01/28 16:46:52
    Ladnar
    It's a talent to be able to find the Libism in everything. B)
  • Iggy Ra... Ladnar 2010/01/28 22:06:03
    Iggy Raindrops
    might be a curse actually. Honestly to judge people so fast based on a label. A stereotype.
  • outofth... Ladnar 2010/02/21 10:24:48
    outofthisworld
    Talent? :D Ya, right. More like a waste of time.
  • ME Ladnar 2010/01/27 20:34:59
    ME
    hard sticking to subject matter for you, huh?
  • Ladnar ME 2010/01/27 20:38:01
    Ladnar
    Nah. The convo just kina led that way. I do however notice you picked me to scold and not the fellow I'm talking with who is also off subject.
    Feelings hurting from that other thread, are they? ;)

2014/11/22 05:51:50