Is “Pro-Life” Just a Different Name for “Anti-Woman”?

The Wrong Guy 2012/11/04 15:38:02

I am sick of politicians using the term “pro-life” when what they really mean is “anti-abortion” or “anti-woman.

As Thomas Friedman wrote in the New York Times last Sunday:

We must stop letting Republicans name themselves “pro-life” and Democrats as “pro-choice.” It is a huge distortion.

So many politicians who proclaim themselves “pro-life” are really not in favor of life at all: they show no interest in the lives of children once they are born; they aggressively promote the death penalty and are against common-sense gun control; they even want to shut down the Environmental Protection Agency, which seeks to ensure clean air, clean water and healthy living conditions for all.

How can you call yourself “pro-life” and oppose Head Start, which provides basic education, health and nutrition for the most low-income children and their parents?

If anything these politicians are anti-life.

I have had these thoughts for a long time, but thank you, Thomas Friedman, for voicing them loud and clear in last Sunday’s New York Times.

Here’s what Friedman has to say:

The term “pro-life” should be a shorthand for respect for the sanctity of life. But I will not let that label apply to people for whom sanctity for life begins at conception and ends at birth. What about the rest of life? Respect for the sanctity of life, if you believe that it begins at conception, cannot end at birth. That radical narrowing of our concern for the sanctity of life is leading to terrible distortions in our society.

Care2 reported last week on Richard Mourdock, the Tea Party-backed Republican Senate candidate in Indiana, who declared during a debate that he was against abortion even in the event of rape because he “came to realize that life is that gift from God. And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.”

Just a few days earlier, Republican Representative Joe Walsh of Illinois said that he opposed abortion even in cases where the life of the mother is in danger, because “with modern technology and science, you can’t find one instance” where is had been necessary to perform an abortion to save a woman’s life.

And then there’s Todd Akin with his declaration that pregnancy as a result of “legitimate rape” (whatever that is) is rare because we women have the power to “shut the whole thing down.”

These men are not religious. They are sanctimonious idiots at best and patronizing liars at worst.

Did these men emerge from the Taliban? What are they doing in 21st century America?

I first came across this game with semantics back in the 1990′s, when Randall Terry’s anti-abortion organization Operation Rescue hit Los Angeles. How could these people call themselves “pro-life” when they were so anti-life, so angry and so full of venom?

I learned then how important it was to use the correct terms when dealing with the media; rather than “pro-life,” we learned to say “anti-choice” or “anti-abortion.”

I can do no better than Thomas Friedman in describing what characterizes real pro-life people, as opposed to the Richard Mourdocks and Joe Walshes of the far-right Republican party, who disguise their hateful desire to control women with a supposedly “Christian” desire to preserve fertilized eggs.

Again, from Friedman in The New York Times:

That’s why, for me, the most “pro-life” politician in America is New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. While he supports a woman’s right to choose, he has also used his position to promote a whole set of policies that enhance everyone’s quality of life — from his ban on smoking in bars and city parks to reduce cancer, to his ban on the sale in New York City of giant sugary drinks to combat obesity and diabetes, to his requirement for posting calorie counts on menus in chain restaurants, to his push to reinstate the expired federal ban on assault weapons and other forms of common-sense gun control, to his support for early childhood education, to his support for mitigating disruptive climate change.

Now that is what I call “pro-life.”

Thank you, Mr. Friedman.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/pro-life-or-do-you-really-mean-an...

Read More: http://www.care2.com/causes/pro-life-or-do-you-rea...

• Gracie ... Wonder ... 2012/11/09 01:53:07
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    What you are saying in that is that women aren't as strong and equal to men. You can't have it both ways, which is it?
  • Wonder ... Gracie ... 2012/11/09 02:20:12
  • Gracie ... Wonder ... 2012/11/09 02:25:31
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Okay, I see you have all men all figured out. I agree that men behave according to their biological impulses, but I disagree that women are innocent and helpless. I also agree that many of the things that women claim give them independence, like birth control and abortion, are really things that men can control as easily as women. How many women are coerced into having an abortion because the man doesn't want to pay child support for a child? Way more than women talk about.

As women we need to decide if we're equal, though different, or just weaklings trying to pretend we're in control but needing government in place of the traditional husband and father. Which is it?
  • Wonder ... Gracie ... 2012/11/09 16:52:29
  • C:\DOS> Gracie ... 2012/11/11 11:50:00 (edited)
    C:\DOS>
    +1
    "How many women are coerced into having an abortion because the man doesn't want to pay child support for a child?"

"When you consider that women have been treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." (Elizabeth Cady Stanton)
  • Lastarael Wonder ... 2012/11/05 20:48:12
    Lastarael
    +1
    So by your reasoning a woman is having an abortion every time she expels an egg during menstruation. Are you seriously deluded or trolling?
  • Wonder ... Lastarael 2012/11/06 19:20:41
  • Dave 2012/11/04 19:54:03
    Maybe
    Dave
    +4
    Pro-Life is really more Pro-Fetus as they don't really care about the life after the Fetus is born. Even in their Bilble it's stated that life does not begin until a breathe is drawn.

Regarding females - yeah, this is that quasi-weird thing that we need to get back to living in the 1950's - you know like people lived on that Television show, "Happy Days". Women should not have sex unless they plan on birthing babies - you are a whore if you enjoy having sex. That's the gist of it. The USA has some weird sexual hang ups, which we tend to share with the people that we are always trying to blow up in the Middle East.
  • Gracie ... Dave 2012/11/04 23:42:10
  • DuncanONeil 2012/11/04 19:53:04
    DuncanONeil
    +3
    Pro-life is just another term for anit abortion.
  • ☆astac☆~PWCM 2012/11/04 19:46:33
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +1
    No, it is the pro choice crowd that is anti-women
  • Dave ☆astac☆... 2012/11/04 19:55:00
    Dave
    +2
    huh? Explain that one
  • Gracie ... Dave 2012/11/04 20:15:16
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    More than 50% of all aborted babies are female, that's anti-women.
    +4
    Quite opposite.

You're the anti-woman guy. You want to use them. Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am, now go take care of it. And of course you want to make sure they *can* "take care of it."

Well, it doesn't work that way.

Let every woman ask herself: aren't half the child victims of abortion female?
  • DoxieDad 2012/11/04 19:43:29
    DoxieDad
    +3
    No, "Pro Life" is just a different name for "Anti-choice". Those that ring the bell of freedom and wrap themselves in the flag are usually the quickest ones to want to control your daily life and what you can and can not do with with the choices you're given under the Constitution. All done of course in the name of freedom and liberty.
  • Bibliop... DoxieDad 2012/11/05 16:11:29
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Agreed, they need to mind their own damn business.
  • DoxieDad Bibliop... 2012/11/06 03:11:10
    DoxieDad
    +1
    We could only wish but they can't the subject just draws them..........
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/11/04 19:42:43
    Death On Two Legs
    +7
    A lot of those who are pro-life only seem to want to control the woman's body and punish her for having a sex life (sexism/misogyny, anyone?)

Once the child is born, they don't care. They don't go and try to help the children that are starving and dying in the streets. They claim that "adoption is the answer", but don't seem to consider the fact that a lot of those kids will be forced into the foster care system.
  • Gracie ... Death O... 2012/11/04 20:15:56
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    That's your propaganda and you're sticking to it?
  • Death O... Gracie ... 2012/11/04 20:24:39
    Death On Two Legs
    +4
    Nope. Just my opinion.

If you're pro-life but do not want to help that mother after the child is born (with programs such as WIC), then you are not really pro-life. You are just pro-birth.
  • Gracie ... Death O... 2012/11/04 23:43:41
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    Ironically, only a statist would consider only government programs help. I guess actually adopting children wouldn't count because it's not WIC?
  • Death O... Gracie ... 2012/11/04 23:48:09
    Death On Two Legs
    +2
    If you are pro-life, and tell a woman to put her child up for adoption, are you going to adopt that child yourself and make sure it will have a good life? Will you and every other pro-life person do that?
  • Gracie ... Death O... 2012/11/04 23:52:15
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    It's very hard to find a baby to adopt. I have a black friend who is trying to adopt a black baby and even she has been waiting for years.

• C:\DOS> Death O... 2012/11/11 15:09:03 (edited)
    C:\DOS>
    +1
    I am pro-life. I support child welfare agencies with my donations I do volunteer work at soup kitchens. I support two children through Compassion International. And seven years ago my wife and I supported a pregnant teenage girl through her pregnancy and then adopted her baby when it was born. Our daughter is now seven years old and the joy of our lives.

Pro-choicers claim they want to make abortions safe, legal and RARE. How many at-risk pre-borns have YOU adopted?
  • Death O... C:\DOS> 2012/11/11 18:47:41
    Death On Two Legs
    But, don't you think it's anti-woman to not let a woman make a decision about HER own body? Isn't it sexist to think that a woman can't make her own decisions?

"Pro-choicers claim they want to make abortions safe, legal and RARE" That is what pro-choicers want. We want women to have the option to abort if worst case scenario happens.
  • C:\DOS> Death O... 2012/12/15 03:45:16
    C:\DOS>
    No, pro-choicers want abortions to be safe and legal. Tell me what you are doing to make them rare.

I couldn't care less what you do with your body. It's the OTHER human life I'm concerned about, the one you pro-choicers are denying any choice to.
  • C:\DOS> Death O... 2012/11/11 15:01:29 (edited)
    C:\DOS>
    +1
    Granted the foster care system is far from ideal, but are you seriously suggesting it's better to kill babies than to place them in foster care?

Show me a child who is "starving and dying in the streets" and I guarantee I'll do everything I can to help him or her.
  • Death O... C:\DOS> 2012/11/11 18:48:24
    Death On Two Legs
    +1
    It's not a baby, though. It's a zygote/fetus. It has the potential to become a baby, but is not yet one.
  • C:\DOS> Death O... 2012/12/15 03:43:26
    C:\DOS>
    Lol. A human fetus is what - a hyena, perhaps? Whether you want to call it a "baby", a "fetus" or a protoplasm, it's human life.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/11/04 19:40:58 (edited)
  • Darnel 2012/11/04 19:38:54
    Darnel
    +1
    get a grip please.

There are a large silent majority that believes "Pro-Life" is exactly that. For myself,.. Pro-life means I am for life and the quality of it. I don't seperate it by gender. In regards to Abortion, I have a hard line as far as WHY.

GETTING AN ABORTION for convience sake is wrong in my view,... but it is something that you will have to take up with your God, not me.

Having an Abortion for medical reasons, I'm behind 100%
    As a man I feel that if I were a woman who became pregnant my concience would require me to bring the child to term and raise him or her the best way I could.

Strangly enough, I refuse to force my viwpoint on bodies I am not responsible for,... strange because this is also in my opinion "pro-life".

Sigh.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/11/04 19:37:18
    Jack's Pearl
    +4
    It is also a joke to call it pro life, when you are defending a fetus not born and then leave it with nothing when born. What is pro life about that?? What is pro life about taking choices away? Nothing is pro life about that. It's just sticking your business where it doesn't belong whatsoever. And abortion is not the taking of life. No one in their right mind would want to kill innocent people. I see it as a choice a woman should be able to make. A couple together or not together.
  • WankerBait 2012/11/04 19:32:23
    Maybe
    WankerBait
    +6
    It's not just anti-women, it's anti-choice, anti-freedom, anti-rehabilitation, anti-progress, anti-education, and anti-life. The American Taliban are religious fanatics wanting to legislate the USA into a Theocracy not unlike Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Afghanistan. They are the antithesis of everything that is the USA.
  • C:\DOS> WankerBait 2012/11/11 15:15:18
    C:\DOS>
    Nice strawmen.
  • trentinafur 2012/11/04 19:17:20
  • GOP Poison 2012/11/04 19:09:36
    GOP Poison
    +8
    I have never met anyone that was pro-abortion.I have met people that were anti-choice and pro choice. Republicans love to say they are pro-life because it sounds good.When Jan Brewer of Arizona decided to cut organ recipients off and let them die I did not read ONE word from any of these so called "pro-life"people. They are pro birth and then"fend for yourself" which means in most cases nothing but hardships for both the mother and the child and the anti choice people do not give a damn about either one.
  • BobbyOu... GOP Poison 2012/11/04 19:20:08
    BobbyOuroboros
    +5
    That is the hard truth
  • Gracie ... GOP Poison 2012/11/04 23:48:19
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    States have to balance their budgets, they don't get to pull money out of their butts like the feds do. Maybe if Arizona wasn't forced to pay for illegal's services, real citizens could get transplants. I know liberals think there really is a Santa Claus, but reality says otherwise.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/11/04 18:05:37
    apachehellfire65
    +3
    just the opposite! pro life is very pro woman. they are because they know a woman's REAL control of her own body .and REAL power in being a woman. is in the decision of if she gets pregnant or not! not in is she cold and selfish enough to murder it once it is conceived. plus the pro life people will always hold the high ground because they give a voice to a voiceless victim.
  • WankerBait apacheh... 2012/11/04 19:34:13
    WankerBait
    +6
    What's your pro-life opinion on universal heath care?

2014/08/30 00:32:22