Is Police Brutality On The Rise In The United States?

Little Angel 2012/05/08 17:57:12
Sadly this is true....
This is the way it has always been.....
It may be on the rise but they are just protecting us....

(CNN) -- A graphic
video played at a hearing Monday to determine whether two California
police officers should stand trial in the beating death of a homeless
man showed them kicking and punching the mentally ill man as he lay on
the ground -- screaming in pain and begging for help.

The victim, Kelly Thomas, died five days after the beating on July 5.

Manuel Ramos, a 10-year
veteran of the Fullerton, California, police department, is charged with
second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, while Cpl. Jay
Patrick Cicinelli faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and felony
use of excessive force in the same case.

Both have pleaded not guilty.

The black-and-white video was played during a preliminary hearing for the two officers.

Revealing details of Kelly Thomas' death

Head trauma caused Thomas' death

It begins with Thomas -- a
37-year-old homeless man with schizophrenia -- sitting and being told
by Ramos to put his feet out and hands on his knees.

The officers were responding to a call about a homeless man looking into car windows and pulling on handles of parked cars.

In the video, Thomas is slow to cooperate.

Ramos then tells him: "You see my fists? They're getting ready to f--- you up."

Thomas, who is unarmed
and shirtless, stands and another officer walks over. They hit him with
their batons and hold him on the ground as he begs for help.

"Ok, I'm sorry, dude.
I'm sorry!" he screams. At one point, Thomas says he can't breathe. The
officers tell him to lie on his stomach, put his hands behind his back
and relax.

"Ok, here, here, dude, please!" he says.

Other officers arrive.

At times, trees block the view of the camera and it's not always clear who is doing what as officers pile on top of Thomas.

One uses a Taser stun gun.

Thomas cries out for help and. toward the end of the beating, for his father: "Dad! Help me. Help me. Help me, dad."

His voice gets softer and trails off.

By the end of the video, he is lying in a pool of blood as the officers wonder out loud what to do next.

One can be heard saying: "We ran out of options so I got to the end of my Taser and I ... smashed his face to hell."

Thomas suffered brain injuries, facial fractures, rib fractures, and extensive bruising and abrasions, according to prosecutors.

The Orange County
coroner listed his manner of death as a homicide and said he died after
having his chest compressed, leaving him unable to breathe.

The FBI is investigating possible civil rights violations in his case.

Six Fullerton officers,
including Ramos and Cicinelli, were put on paid leave after his death.
The case drew widespread attention to the police department of
Fullerton, located about 25 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

• Bozette 2012/05/16 15:06:55
    Bozette
    +3
    I don't know what the actual numbers would show, even if they were available, but police brutality has always existed. Today we are made more aware of instances of it due largely to video cameras and the internet.

• Steve 2012/05/22 22:03:01
    This is the way it has always been.....
    Steve
    There's always been police brutality, usually against the poor and minorities. They treat middle class white folks pretty well, usually.

We just never saw any evidence, until video cell phones came around.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/05/16 23:03:40
    This is the way it has always been.....
    Reggie☮
    +1
    I think we are just more aware of it now. It is so "in your face" now.
  • Bozette 2012/05/16 15:06:55
    Bozette
    +3
  • U-Dog 2012/05/16 14:54:06
    U-Dog
    +3
    Police brutality has always been a problem in some parts of the country and it was probably even worse in the past. The biggest difference today is that everyone has a camera so the abusers are getting caught more often. Also, IMO, the states militant defensive reaction to being filmed, in some cases, is just more circumstantial evidence showing just how much they have been covering up in the past.
  • Latti I... U-Dog 2012/05/16 15:07:19 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Amen!!!!! You are absolutely right. Chicago is a good example of police departments that have been corrupt from the get go. Not to mention bully tactics towards certain groups in this country from their conception.
  • Wulfdane 2012/05/11 01:22:49
    Sadly this is true....
    Wulfdane
    +1
    This is why like Federal Law Enforcement, unions should be banned from all Police Departments. It has given bad cops a blank check to commit atrocities on the citizens they are sworn to protect without fear being held accountable.
  • Kiosk Kid 2012/05/09 23:51:47
    Kiosk Kid
    No, threats to police are on the rise. Six thousand arrest of the OWS protester. Of course, zero arrest of tea party supporters.

Marxist Liberals are becoming increasing more violent and the police have to deal with the escalation.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 16:43:40
    airiq
    you smoke crack????
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 16:51:36
    Kiosk Kid
    You couldn’t argue with my message so you spew the fallacy of shooting the messenger. Of course, a fallacy is a breakdown in logic.

Killing the Messenger (Argumentum ad Hominem)

“This fallacy disagrees with an argument by attacking the person who makes the argument.”
    http://depts.washington.edu/m...
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 17:35:39
    airiq
    +1
    Umm i live in reality not in statistics which can be made to support any debate....where I was born and raised in the city of philly where I never sold drugs never stole a car never raped or murdered anyone i still got Harrassed Consistantly by law inforcement so much so that people would stop and stick up for me....... people are just plum tired of being treated like criminals and there is plenty of video to show how over board cops have been..i asked a question it was do you smoke crack i wanted to know because when i present my argument it was clear that you could understand it..now ill let my videos do the talking for me..
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 19:42:49
    Kiosk Kid
    Certainly you will have examples of police brutality but to assume it is the rule rather then an exception is using the fallacy of Hasty Generalization. Do you know how many crimes are committed in the US per year? If one percent of them result in police brutality it is pretty minimal. I doubt it is one percent, much less.

The current Mayor of Philadelphia is a Democrat and for sixty years the mayor of Philadelphia has been a Democrat. You need to discuss the problem with him.

I live in a town of 20 thousand. We have at least 50 percent more police then a town of our size would normally have. There is virtually no crime and certainly there is no police brutality.

Our police are ready to respond to anything but they don’t generally feel threatened. If you want help asked a policeman. They will bend over backwards to help you.

We also have concealed a gun law which makes a criminal pretty nervous.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 23:03:54
    airiq
    +1
    You live in a town of 20thousand??no wonder you are so freaking podunk with 50% more police then a town of your size..thanx for making my argument for me..mean while all these are inner city cases its much more then one percent in major cities maybe you should do some traveling and see how the world outside of small town USA works untill then ya opinion is null and void........these are more then just examples hoss they are tragedies
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 23:40:57
    Kiosk Kid
    Many large cities have cut police and fire departments to buy the welfare vote. So they are overworking their police. The police become stressed out.

You cause the problem with police and then you complain about it.

Also, you need to use a little logic in dealing with police. The first thing I would do is remove any threat to them. Let them know that you agree that they are in charge. You want to make your meeting with them as routine as possible.

Treat them with respect and they will feel warm and fuzzy. They will treat you with respect. If you challenge them, look for a long day.

To me it is common sense. I am not there to fight with them. I will do exactly as they tell me. After everything has settled down, if I have any problem, I can go to court but I have never had any problems

I have been all over the world and it works the same way everywhere in Democratic countries.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 15:25:57
    airiq
    Since the 9/11 terrorists attacks, we’ve seen a sharp increase in First Amendment violations against photographers, usually in the name of keeping us “safe.”

Now it is evident that one of the reasons for this increase is the lowering of police hiring standards in the recruitment frenzy following the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Between 2001 and 2007, federal court cases in which cops were accused of violating people’s civil rights dramatically rose 25 percent, according to the U.S. Justice Department.

While figures are not available for the most recent years, anybody who keeps up with the news knows that there hasn’t exactly been a decrease.
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/16 18:24:42
    Kiosk Kid
    I agree that police standards have been lowered but it had nothing to do with 9/11. It has to do with meeting racial quotas.

"Obama's DOJ Forcing Dayton, Ohio Police Department to lower test scores for African-Americans recruits

Affirmative action strike again. The Department of Justice is forcing the Dayton, Ohio Police Department to lower its testing standards because not enough African-American police recruits are passing the exam. Even the local NAACP is against the lower standards.

Under the previous requirements, candidates had to get a 66% on part one of the exam and a 72% on part two.
    The D.O.J. approved new scoring policy only requires potential police officers to get a 58% and a 63%. That's the equivalent of an ‘F’ and a ‘D’.

“It becomes a safety issue for the people of our community,” said Dayton Fraternal Order of Police President, Randy Beane. “It becomes a safety issue to have an incompetent officer next to you in a life and death situation."

http://grendelreport.posterou...
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 19:06:12
    airiq
    I for one am not for affirmative action but at the same time affirmative action is a counter(a poor one)for all white companies which there were plenty of in the 60's 70's and even 80's..you fail to see the world even tho you claim to have traveled it..you wouldn't survive in my world but I could survive in yours i think that's what scares most whites the fact that people of color are easily adaptive no matter what climate Anglos have had a 400 year head start in America and are losing ground quicker then they gained it(which was by force)the only thing Anglos have control over is the money system.as people of color have dominated every other area from sports to entertainment style and fashion hell even education...the only tool they have left is division and surpressed knowledge notice how many serial killers are of color or how many are pedophiles rapist etc..the police force is just an extension of that...Seriously man wake up because if you don't you'll be a victim screaming the police are in control..In America its supposed to be For the people by the people not for the Police because they say so.
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/16 20:09:26
    Kiosk Kid
    My last replied talked about lowering the standards so that Police Departments could meet racial quotas.

Yes, if you lower the standards you are going to have more problems with the police.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/17 00:47:39
    airiq
    Lowering standards by who's account......???you seem like one of those people who just take someones word at it instead of actually experiencing it..but then again what else should I expect from podunkvill usa
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/17 02:27:46
    Kiosk Kid
    Try some facts do you want more?

http://grendelreport.posterou...
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/17 18:36:06
    airiq
    you keep producing so called facts by someone other then your account i live in these streets and see police brutality with my own eyes i dont need a blog by some person i never met to realize this wake up dude and gather ya own info not someone elses
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/17 21:32:52
    Kiosk Kid
    I live 20 minutes from the center of Omaha. We don’t have any police brutality because our police are not stressed with budget cuts to fund welfare programs. My city is completely controlled by Republicans.

Our police will be there in seconds and in mass. We have a lot of police. They will shut the area down until the problem is solved.

If you live in a city controlled by Democrats, you need to talk to the mayor. We don’t have to talk to the mayor because we don’t have a problem. Apparently you do.

We also have concealed gun laws that allow citizens to carry hand guns. So a criminal doesn’t know where a bullet will come from. Therefore, we have almost no crime.

The trick is if you are confronted by a police officer, you want to remove any threat to the officer. Like put your hand on your head and tell the police officer where the gun is. Remove the threat to the police officer and work everything out latter. Do only what the officer tells you to do.

It is not difficult. It just takes common sense.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/18 07:13:16
    airiq
    Stop smoking crack.. Omaha Nebraska is just as bad as any other place to live all major cities have major crime rather Dems or Rep run them.... Nebraska has a serious gang problem guess what Philly doesn't....you don't have any common since if you did you would know its because you live in a small city thats why you dont have any major issues with crime i once live in a place called jenkintown with 1700 people total cops got so bored i would see 4 of them on a traffic stop..fyi welfare takes 1% of a national budget so you cant stop using that excuse also red states Aka republican states receive more Goverment benefits then blue states try doing some actual research you sound borderline racist the only thing that hasn't come out of ya mouth is gang bangin blacks are the reason for so much crime kill that noise homie you havent live enough to have an opinion about cops ciao
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 17:37:41
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 19:55:35
    Kiosk Kid
    You’re producing more exception to the rule. There are millions of violent crimes committed in the US each year so you are going to have a few examples of police brutality. However, that doesn't necessary make it the rule.

Again you are using the fallacy of Hasty Generalization.

If you were a policeman that has been on riot duty for 5 solid days with OWS, don’t you think it would be normal for you to be on edge?

Some of these situations in large cities are worst then serving in Afghanistan. These are war zones. It amounts to combat with violent Liberals. Some of these police deserve hazardous duty pay.

Police are human being, they emotions also.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 17:40:38
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 19:57:35
    Kiosk Kid

Police are human being, they also get emotional after days in a war zone with Liberals.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/10 17:41:37 (edited)
    airiq
    i could keep going on and on and on.....but untill you experiance you will resort to drummed up stats which have no real basis in the REAL WORLD btw..here is what you did
    Hasty Generalization
    We often generalize in order to prove our points. This is not necessarily bad. We cannot always come up with an absolute, scientific answer (even scientists use generalization to prove their theorems), so we have to gather sufficient data and generalize from that data. These generalizations are only considered fallacies when the sample we take is too small. Using three people who enjoyed COM382 last year does not prove that most students enjoy COM382; you would need a larger sample to make that assertion responsibly. How large a sample you would need depends on your topic and its consequences. This fallacy can also be called a converse accident. That man is an alcoholic. Liquor should be banned."
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/10 20:06:08
    Kiosk Kid
    I have talked about the millions of violent crimes in the US and the relatively few cases of police brutality. You are the one that is trying to take the few cases and make them into the general rule which is the fallacy of hasty Generalization.

I also pointed out if a policeman has been in a war zone with violent Liberals like OWS, they are certainly going to be on edge.

It is hard to keep from being emotional when you are constantly being attack by violence.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 15:13:31 (edited)
    airiq
    +1
    You live on planet blind eye show me one post one video where ows protesters were being violent just....police pepper spray little kids and pregnant women.. in my own experience ive had cops rough me up because i look a certain way and will not be subdued because I'm right...news flash their job is to protect and serve not misjudge and hurt....dude have enough experience with the real word for any points you are making to be valid........65%of Black Americans serve time for narcotics whiles its proven that more whites use them.the whole justice system is biased but not just on color..its on class..i dont expect you being in a podunk town to understand that
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/16 18:28:57 (edited)
    Kiosk Kid
    Let's try facts

“Occupy Oakland Protesters Charged With Hate Crime, Robbery”

“Between the violent police battles, the Recall Mayor Quan petition and the seething community reaction, the relationship between the Occupy movement and the City of Oakland has been a bit heated.”

And now, as three occupy protesters face charges for robbery and a hate crime stemming from an incident at last week's Occupy Oakland protest, that relationship is nearly boiling.

At Friday's protest, three Occupy Oaklanders -- Michael Davis, 32, Nneka Crawford, 23, and Randolph Wilkins, 24 -- were arrested when a woman not associated with the protest alleged that they attacked her, stole her wallet and made hateful comments about her sexuality.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

These are violent Marxist.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 18:55:29
    airiq
    charged but not convicted.. i was once charged with a crime that never stuck i could charge you with ignorance would it stick?know the difference.
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/16 20:15:28
    Kiosk Kid
    There have been over six thousand arrests of OWS protestors for everything from murder to walking in the street to block traffic.

How many arrest have there been for Tea Party protesters, about zero?

Marxist Liberals are violent!
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/17 00:57:08
    airiq
    You are a joke a sad one at that..Ows members were targeted Well, that may be, but it still begged the question in my mind as to why is this true, if it’s true? Why are scores of OWS folks getting hauled off in school-bus sized paddy wagons, and not the Tea Party folks?

This is despite the fact that The Tea Party protests have not always been, so to speak, a tea party. Lest we forget a Tea Party member stomped on a woman’s head.

Tea Partiers also gained great attention for their ability to obstreperously interrupt town hall meetings during the health care debate, and shout down those who disagreed with them. Were there mass arrests due to these actions? No way. Unscathed would be one way to describe how they emerged. Kid gloves could describe how they were treated by those in power. The guy who stomped on that lady’s head, for example, Tim Profitt, got some probation. But he sure didn’t get beaten down by the police, as many OWS folks have, for less. Don’t you just hate it when you think you’ve found an interesting, insightful point that hasn’t been made before … only to find that it has been made before?

Well that happened to me. As I looked at news story after news story of people getting arrested at Occupy Wall Street (OWS), um, occupations, I started to wonder, hey, did these...

Well that happened to me. As I looked at news story after news story of people getting arrested at Occupy Wall Street (OWS), um, occupations, I started to wonder, hey, did these sorts of mass arrests ever happen to the Tea Party? (Answer: no.) And then I learned that someone else, in this case the Daily Kos, basically made this point already.

Well, that may be, but it still begged the question in my mind as to why is this true, if it’s true? Why are scores of OWS folks getting hauled off in school-bus sized paddy wagons, and not the Tea Party folks?

Tea Partiers also gained great attention for their ability to obstreperously interrupt town hall meetings during the health care debate, and shout down those who disagreed with them.

Were there mass arrests due to these actions? No way. Unscathed would be one way to describe how they emerged. Kid gloves could describe how they were treated by those in power. The guy who stomped on that lady’s head, for example, Tim Profitt, got some probation. But he sure didn’t get beaten down by the police, as many OWS folks have, for less.

In fact when I Googled “Tea Party” and “arrested” here were some of the top searches that came up:

A Tea Party leader was arrested for pirating software.
    A man was arrested for shouting at Tea Partiers.
    A Tea Party organizer was arrested for soliciting a prostitute.
    One Tea Party wingnut was arrested for threatening to turn a tax protest into a full scale massacre. He told the world about this via Twitter, of course.

Overall not much there. Now do the same search for “Occupy Wall Street” and “arrested” and these are some of the top searches:

1. 80 plus arrested in New York, just a few days ago.

2. Author Naomi Wolf, that menace to society, was also thrown into the hoosegow during an OWS protest. Better still, she was in an evening gown when she got busted, which surely made for interesting jailhouse banter. (Seriously, if anyone should have good reason to be angry at Wolf you’d think it would be pretty much limited to Al Gore.)

3. OWS protestors were arrested nationwide, in honor of the movement’s one month anniversary.

4. Some OWS protestors in Lower Manhattan made the trip to an outer borough, Brooklyn, and then got arrested. (Remember, not too long ago 700 OWS folks were also arrested at the Brooklyn Bridge.) My advice? Next time try the Manhattan Bridge.

And the list goes on, and on, nationwide, ad infinitum. Suffice to say, by this point at least a thousand OWS folks have felt the leathered fist of The Man, for asserting their rights to assembly, and freedom of speech. And they haven’t merely gotten arrested, but pepper sprayed, and in some cases beaten.
  • Kiosk Kid airiq 2012/05/17 02:36:02
    Kiosk Kid
    Most of the OWS protest occured in large cities controlled by Democrat Mayors. You need to take your gripe to Democrat mayors who controll the police.

I don’t vote for the party. However, I think you do.

Tea party protesters don’t get arrested because the are not violent and they follow the law.
  • airiq Kiosk Kid 2012/05/17 18:37:11 (edited)
    airiq
    You assume I do as you proved to me already you dont have independent thoughts
  • Latti I... Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 15:16:08
  • Kiosk Kid Latti I... 2012/05/16 18:32:36
    Kiosk Kid
    I agree there are incidents. But you can't make the exceptions the general rule. Like I said police departments are being forced to lower there test standards to meet racial quotas.
  • Latti I... Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 22:54:44
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    If you haven't notice; it's not the minority cops doing most of the illegal activity. In addition it's always been this way; the only difference is there are more people with camera's now.

cops dogs attacking 60 s
  • Kiosk Kid Latti I... 2012/05/16 23:28:07
    Kiosk Kid
    Apparently, you don’t want to talk about the reality of today. Col Allen West is the reality of today. You are still living in the past.

He represents the 22 district of Florida. He was elected by Republicans mostly white Republicans.

However, there are some blacks that have moved on since the 1960’s. Apparently, you are not one of them.
  • Latti I... Kiosk Kid 2012/05/16 23:39:13
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Apparently we are talking about the issue of some cops. You said the lowering was due to the "Racial Quotas," I'm saying there have always been problems with police and brutality. Your point is moot, because you refuse to acknowledge the common factor of the cops conduct from then and now.

That was my overall point; not White vs. Black. The video was just to showcase my point; as Allen West, save it. I know all about him and this has nothing to do with White voters and Allen West. It was about police brutality, which I was depicting once again.

2014/12/22 07:47:59