Is Obamacare just like Romneycare?

bob 2012/03/15 21:37:09
Related Topics: Obamacare
Obamacare is a mirror image of Romneycare
Obamacare is not the same as Romneycare
Obamacare was based on Romneycare

• RoscoeBonofitucci 2012/07/15 23:49:32
    Obamacare is not the same as Romneycare
    RoscoeBonofitucci
    +1
    Romney is a Capitalist. Obama is a Communist...aka Traitor.
  • bob RoscoeB... 2012/07/16 15:38:40
    bob
    +2
    poor poor poor religious conservative homophobic closet case, you don't even know the definition of Capitalism or communism is do you?
  • SpeedRacer 2012/03/20 15:40:38 (edited)
    Obamacare is not the same as Romneycare
    SpeedRacer
    There are Nine Fundamental Differences between RomneyCare versus ObamaCare

It is commonly perceived that ObamaCare was modeled after RomneyCare, but there are significant differences between the two:

1) The bill called "ObamaCare" is 2700 pages long, and RomneyCare was only 70 pages in 2006. So there are 2,630 more pages of differences between ObamaCare and RomneyCare.

2) RomneyCare was uniquely designed for Massachusetts, but ObamaCare is a one-size-fits-all mandate imposed upon all states, regardless of each state's needs and economic conditions.

3) ObamaCare expands the size and power of federal government beyond the "few and defined" powers delegated by the Constitution, thus diminishing State powers; in contrast, RomneyCare invokes "numerous and indefinite" powers to require that citizens be insured, thus preventing some from "gaming the system" — where free-riders were formerly getting government to pay for medical bills when they could afford to buy insurance in the first place.

4) $1.8 Trillion Dollars is required to fund ObamaCare — 1 trillion in higher taxes and 800 Billion borrowed from Medicare. In comparison, taxes were not increased to fund RomneyCare, nor were any funds borrowed from Medicare.

5) RomneyCare was enacted only after Mitt Romney balanced the state budget;...

5) RomneyCare was enacted only after Mitt Romney balanced the state budget; whereas, ObamaCare was enacted during a time when Barack Obama and a Democrat-dominant Congress didn't even try to balance a budget and didn't even propose a budget, but engaged in massive federal spending, unprecedented in the history of the United States.

6) RomneyCare is constitutional by virtue of the "numerous and indefinite" powers reserved to the States via the 10th Amendment to the Constitution; ObamaCare is unconstitutional because it overreaches the limited federal powers enumerated in Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution.

7) In a June 2011 GOP Presidential Debate sponsored by CNN, Mitt Romney said that "if people don't like it in our state, they can change it." In contrast, Barack Obama has consistently resisted the repeal of his healthcare bill, even when the majority of Americans want to repeal ObamaCare.

8) Mitt Romney passed Massachusetts Healthcare with bipartisan input and support; in contrast, Barack Obama imposed Obama-Care upon the American People using a partisan approach that largely excluded input from Republican Senators and Congressmen — and continues to exclude input from "We the People."

9) While the majority of Americans don't want Obama-Care, the majority of citizens in Massachusetts support RomneyCare. According to a 2011 survey by Harvard School of Public Health and The Boston Globe, 63% of Massachusetts residents support the 2006 health law, while 21% say they oppose it.

And for the Liberals who try to claim that the CBO estimates are lower that previous need to read the Actual CBO Report in it entirety. Please use a pencil and paper to do your Math... ; )
    http://cbo.gov/sites/default/...
  • bob SpeedRacer 2012/03/27 14:44:11
    bob
    poor poor poor liberal Romney
  • DuncanONeil 2012/03/17 00:15:21
    DuncanONeil
    No! Because it affects the entire country & has the ability to punish you through the auspices of the IRS.
    Besides health care is not a federal Government issue.
  • sunniday DuncanO... 2012/03/18 04:32:37
    sunniday
    +2
    Obamacare was based of Romneycare but Romney care is a state based health care governed by the state & it works. But was not designed to be opperated by the government,because each state is different ,Mr. Romney exsplained that long ago,he gave a very detail discription which I admit I did not pay much attention to,becuae of my age.
  • DuncanO... sunniday 2012/03/18 16:02:00
    DuncanONeil
    RomneyCare doesn't work. It has kicked thousands of people off the system in the past two years, prices have gone up, treatments are being limited by those controlling the program. Essentially all of the things that are logged as complaints about ObamaCare.

That is the thing about the state systems, in any subject, they can be used as experiments. Find out what works. Washington loves to say we can't have 50 different systems, but that will never occur. The systems that are poorly designed or operated will fail and no one will use it. A successful system will grow. With the Feds it is their way or "Too bad, So sad".

You do realize that the state IS a government?
  • Damocles DuncanO... 2012/03/18 16:34:53 (edited)
    Damocles
    It needs to be a government issue. Healthcare costs are out of control along with pharmacutical prices. Mitt Romney has said, and I think rightly so, that people should be held accountable for their own healthcare. His plan was set up to get the "free riders" ( people who did not carry insurance, using ER's for their medical needs ) off the backs of the hard working, self reliant citizens of Massachusetts. If you have insurance or pay taxes, you're paying for all the free riders of America. Make them pay for themselves. Don't you think the free riders need to be punished by the IRS? It will take some kind of incentive to break them away from free ER medical care.
  • DuncanO... Damocles 2012/03/18 17:19:44
    DuncanONeil
    Health costs are out of control because the customer has not skin in the game. When it is all paid by some amorphous person never seen what do you care what it costs? Then there are the restrictions the Government has put in place to restrict competition.

"get the "free riders" ( people who did not carry insurance, using ER's for their medical needs ) off the backs of the hard working, self reliant citizens". Only it doesn't, it spreads the cost across all users and REQUIRES that everyone pay for the exact same services.

The IRS IS in the punishment business but why should we make that their actual primary duty?

"It will take some kind of incentive to break them away from free ER medical care." Competition!
  • Damocles DuncanO... 2012/03/18 18:07:14
    Damocles
    I'm not understanding what you mean in your first paragraph. Romney's and Obama's plans call for the uninsured to pay their own premiums. So they would have skin in the game. The people who have private policies definitely have skin in the game, because they pay for the free riders through higher charges on their insurance policy as it stands now. Hospitals make up for free riders by charging people with insurance higher prices. The Obama plan allows people to shop across state lines to find the best plan for themselves. The government does not pay for it. Is that not competition?
    If the free riders have to pay their own premiums, how does that spread the cost to those who have their own insurance? And since the free riders are allowed to shop for insurance that suits them, they will not be getting the exact same services unless that's what they prefer.
    You cannot compete with something that is being provided free!! That's why they call them free riders, they are getting medical care FREE by just going to ER's.
    Tell me how any business can "compete" with FREE services.
  • DuncanO... Damocles 2012/03/18 18:19:35
    DuncanONeil
    Premiums are not "skin in the game". Think in terms of taxes, people only consider what they have to pay on 15 April as their tax bill. In spite of the thousands they paid over the year as "premiums" (i.e. withholding).

"f the free riders have to pay their own premiums, how does that spread the cost to those who have their own insurance?" First of all insurance works by spreading the risk around. ObamaCare requires that all plans meets the specifications established by the Government. Meaning the Government decides what has to be covered and how much can be charged for said coverage. Meaning you and I would have to pay for pregnancy & well baby coverage. I am sure you can think of other types of coverage you do not need, but Government insurance will not allow a tailored plan for anyone.
  • Damocles DuncanO... 2012/03/18 19:03:13
    Damocles
    Romney care requires the same thing. The people of Massachusetts are not having a problem with it. I'm sure that private insurance companies are required to abide by governmnet regulations also. I think we are getting into semantics here, and it is clear you have made up your mind and I have done likewise.
    I think in the grand scheme of things, a few cents more on April 15th is worth it to me. If it will help a poor pregnant woman, or prevent illness in her baby I don't begrudge them that.
  • DuncanO... Damocles 2012/03/20 00:49:05
    DuncanONeil
    "Romney care requires the same thing." What does this have to do with what I said? Tens of thousands of people have been kicked off RomneyCare due to costs. And the costs keep going up.

"private insurance companies are required to abide by governmnet regulations also." And the number of regulations continues to increase each year.

All of those cents are not the Governments money. It is OURS and we deserve to KEEP it. Currently the Government has far exceeded its mandate, as listed in the Constitution, and needs to be returned to that mandate.
  • Damocles DuncanO... 2012/03/20 01:07:57
    Damocles
    Do you ever write or call your congressman or woman? Call or write your Senator? I think this is a personal thing between you and your government. They can do something about it if they choose to, while I on the other hand am powerless to help you get your money back. I would if I could, but I can't. Obamacare goes before the Supreme Court soon, and I think the deck is stacked in your favor. If they can't fix it for you I don't know what else to tell you.
  • DuncanO... Damocles 2012/03/20 01:30:11
    DuncanONeil
    My Representative is, unfortunately, Ms. Moore completely under the sway of the Demoncrat party.

My Senators are a 50/50 proposition. But one is retiring.
  • Damocles DuncanO... 2012/03/20 02:22:23
    Damocles
    I bug the crap out of my Senator, and I actually got a handwritten response. It took me a year and a half, but I got a runaround just the same. Might as well have been one of the usual form letters.
    What's your take on the Obamacare and the Supreme Court?
  • DuncanO... Damocles 2012/03/20 23:27:15
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    Anybody's guess. They could deal with only the mandate or the whole thing.
  • Doc 2012/03/16 19:08:12
    Obamacare is not the same as Romneycare
    Doc
    It costs more and does less.
  • Damocles Doc 2012/03/18 14:09:30
    Damocles
    You can keep your own plan if you have one. Have you acturally read what the Obama plan offers?
  • Doc Damocles 2012/03/19 02:52:02
    Doc
    Yes, and it still costs more and does less. In fact it's costing twice what he said it would. Not only that, but it had to be passed "RIGHT NOW", even though it took two years for it to go into effect and nobody had read HR 3962 at the time.

Have you read the health care bill?
  • Damocles Doc 2012/03/19 04:11:57
    Damocles
    +1
    The CBO would disagree with you on the cost. ( CBS / AP ) -- "Congressional economists are estimating somewhat lower costs for covering the uninsured under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law, as well as slightly fewer people gaining coverage."-- Go to your favorite search engine and type in CBO lowers health reform cost estimate- CBS News. It's all there. I haven't read the health bill, just bits and pieces that come up in posts and replies. But if we both read it, I'm sure we would come away with two opposing views. Is that a reasonable assumption?
  • Doc Damocles 2012/03/19 21:09:40 (edited)
    Doc
    That's a reasonable assumption, but I think if you read it, you'd feel the same way I do. I have read the health care bill. I think everyone should if they are into politics.
    http://housedocs.house.gov/ru...

but the CBO says that they feel the plan will cost twice as much at 1.5 trillion bucks

http://www.weeklystandard.com...
  • DoxieDad 2012/03/16 01:50:18
    DoxieDad
    Romney care if you want was a piece of state legislation that the people of Massachusetts had a say in and could and still can control through their State House.
    Obama Care (National Health Care Act) is a piece of Federal legislation the people of the country had no say in and have no way of adjusting or not participating in. They are two totally different things.
  • Damocles DoxieDad 2012/03/18 14:07:32
    Damocles
    The Obama plan is set up so that people have the same choices about where they buy their insurance as Mass. did, they can even shop across state lines to find the best plan for them. From what history I've read on the Mass. plan, the people of Mass. were not that keen on Mitts plan, but he pushed it through. Now the people are a lot more content with the plan, once they gave it a chance.
  • DoxieDad Damocles 2012/03/18 15:23:17
    DoxieDad
    +1
    And they may well happen eventually across the nation but right now it is a bitter pill that way to many are not willing to swallow. This administration has allowed those opposed to them and the opposing party to set the dialog on this subject and unfortunately they are doing a much better sales job on the evils of the National Health Care Act then those who support it. If you are trying to accomplish something you don't allow the opposition to take control of the talking points.
  • Damocles DoxieDad 2012/03/18 16:11:26
    Damocles
    You got that 100% right. But I think there is an element in our Country that don't want to hear the good things about the plan, because it is the Man, not the plan that they oppose. Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.
  • DoxieDad Damocles 2012/03/18 16:19:49 (edited)
  • Glfer65 2012/03/16 01:23:53
    Obamacare was based on Romneycare
    Glfer65
    +1
    I really am starting to dislike anything the GOP claims as their own. They have gotten all pissy when a dem comes up with good ideas or intentions to better our nation. I have yet to see them carry on with an original idea and taught as their way to improve society.

The biggest problem stems from them keeping the middle and low class from actually trying to make it. Simple get them jobs that pay well and they will get off the system as you want.

But trying to cut each program off completely makes no sense in the fact that real honest and hard working people need it at times to get by. Others simply can't for whatever reasons but nonetheless good ones.

I say weed out the bad apples and work hard to keep the good ones where they can get back on their feet again. The lifers are nothing but leeches.
  • sunniday Glfer65 2012/03/18 04:34:56
    sunniday
    You are repeating Mr.Romney's speech so I gather you are for Mitt?
  • Glfer65 sunniday 2012/03/18 05:01:10
    Glfer65
    Hmm, no I am not for him or any other GOP clown. Obama is not making it any easier. Facts are the politicos have no real agenda to help us the average citizen by keeping domestic business' here.

Jobs lost leads to housing crisis leads to very bad economy. No one person can be blamed for this not even obama or romney or anyone.
  • Damocles sunniday 2012/03/18 13:53:23 (edited)
    Damocles
    Mitt has flip flopped on his Massachusetts health plan on the campaign trail, he has all but totally disavowed having anything to do with any part of it. It's funny how when it's referred to as Obamacare, it is radical government takeover of healthcare, but when it's Romneys Mass. health plan it seems to lose the radical government part of the description. ( Salt vs Pepper?? )
  • BigKwell 2012/03/16 00:02:31
    BigKwell
    +1
    Almost all Republicans are hypocrites. One of the exceptions is my brother.
  • sunniday BigKwell 2012/03/18 04:36:19
    sunniday
    Not a mirrow image unless you are in a house of mirrors.DISTORTED.
  • Welshtaff 2012/03/15 23:42:56
    Welshtaff
    +1
    And we don't need it!
  • Damocles 2012/03/15 22:40:10 (edited)
    Obamacare was based on Romneycare
    Damocles
    +2
    Then Governor Romney, touted his Individual Mandate Health plan as a "fundamentally conservative idea." He called it a policy of promoting personal responsibility by stopping "free riders" from sliding by with no insurance and utilizing the free E.R. medical care.
    On the Glen Beck's show he spoke of individual mandate as "the ultimate conservatism."
    At a GOP primary debate in Iowa, August of 2007 he said, 'We have to have our citizens insured, and we're not going to do that by tax exemptions, because the people that don't have insurance aren't paying taxes. What you have to do is what we did in Massachusetts. Is it perfect? No. But we say, let's rely on personal responsibility, help people buy their own private insurance, get our citizens insured, not with a government takeover, not with new taxes needed, but instead with a free market based system that gets all of our citizens in the system. No more free rides. it works.A 2007 Romney mailer said "The Romney Plan" would "Stop the Free Riders and enforce"personal responsibility." His official platform described his national health care plan in the same terms. " Stop the Free Riders"
  • sunniday Damocles 2012/03/18 04:41:33
    sunniday
    Good post .You got it now if others would .Its not control, its freedom for all people, not tax the rich & middle class to pay for the freeloaders.
  • SpeedRacer Damocles 2012/03/20 16:06:11
    SpeedRacer
    You are correct,
    I think the issue is that the Obama Plan does NOTHING to actually fix the problems in our healthcare system, it only creates another systems that has flaws. in the mean time the current system is on life support. So The Obama Plan is really a temporary plan this will wait for the current system to Fail, then the Obama plan will take over as a full 100% Government ran health care plan that will be like all the other plans worldwide that are failing now, costing too much and providing a poor level of care. You know what I am talking about if you have ever dealt with Medicaid, Medicare or Tricare. this is a complex issue and
    can't be solved with another complex system. I with the Congress would have passed the Republican plan that was offered in 2009 to Obama (he did not look at it and dropped it in the trash when leaving the Baltimore Republican conference) It had real healthcare reform, actual plans to fix some of the problems with the current system. But once again OUR President went the Ideological route....Depressing.
    Obamacare was based on Romneycare
    +1
    As a matter of real fact, it was written by the exact same persons.
  • frank 2012/03/15 21:41:02
    Obamacare was based on Romneycare
    frank
    +1
    Only problem with Obamacare is the American people don't want it!
  • Damocles frank 2012/03/15 23:58:23
    Damocles
    As the old saying goes, "Why buy the cow when you can get all the milk you need through the fence."?

2014/11/28 07:23:39