Is Obama still "Electable" in the General Election?

Katie~PUMA!!! 2008/03/14 23:52:59

• kb 2008/03/14 23:58:32
    kb
    +18
    he never was...........but now the fooled actually look like fools.

+1
    unless the ACORN People are in full posession of the Voting opportunity.
  • MikeBravo52 2009/11/04 04:46:39
    MikeBravo52
    +1
    the more handouts to the uneducated and illegals will buy enough votes. who would not vote for a guy that promises everything for free. there are plenty of ignorant,gullable suckers out there to replace those who woke up to failed promises. after all, there is hollywood and the media to provide the 24/7 coverage for the worhipers.
  • Marty9957 2009/11/04 04:44:20
    Marty9957
    That should have been "Hell NO." This is a referendum on the One.
  • Ron 2009/11/04 03:44:00
    Ron
    +4
    If the Republicans run another crappy candidate! Then yes he can be reelected! If they run a half way decent one then no he most likely won't be.
  • Lindairish 2009/11/04 03:39:43
    Lindairish
    +1
    I'd like to see him resign right now. But realistically he is only a puppet controlled by a few. But so was Bush. I don't know who we could get that hasn't sold his soul.
  • Nanny 2009/11/04 03:31:07
    Nanny
    +2
    Only if he cheats by Acorn signing up the same people 72 times, again.
  • jojo 2009/11/03 23:31:09
    jojo
    +2
    Electable only for blacks who are deluded in thinking that he represents the bona fide African American and all their struggles.
  • joejoe 2008/12/13 03:49:50
    joejoe
    He wasn't electable because he STILL hasn't produced a valid U.S. birth certificate. How could the U.S. officials let this slide? it shows disrespect and dishonor to the Constitution of the United States of America. Shame on those who let this happen.
  • Aj 2008/10/15 08:15:02
    Aj
    +1
    hey we stopped one hussein lets stop the other
  • patblue1947 2008/10/08 19:53:06
    patblue1947
    Because so many people are disgusted with the latent racism, anti-Obama lies, distortions, and irrational hatred of him that they are actually listening to what he is saying and are impressed with him.
  • Nanny patblue... 2009/11/04 03:32:00
    Nanny
    +2
    Who's that? You?
  • sandy 2008/10/08 04:39:11
    sandy
    I was undecided till the debate tonight and I think I liked more of Obama's political views on a lot more issues than McCain.
  • patblue... sandy 2008/10/08 19:53:46
    patblue1947
    Same here.
  • ...... 2008/10/08 00:27:48
  • Suzy 2008/09/26 14:09:37
    Suzy
    +1
    I don't agree with what he stands for. He appears to be dishonest and not very trust worthy.
  • patblue... Suzy 2008/10/08 19:55:26
    patblue1947
    McCain appears to be dishonest and deceitful to me and I don't agree with his proposed policies.
  • rickdean06 2008/09/05 01:04:07
  • sdusmcret54 2008/05/24 03:18:02
    sdusmcret54
    +3
    If we turn our backs to him before its to late then he doesn't have a chance in hell come nov.
  • cassanova 2008/05/16 03:38:46
    cassanova
    +6
    the republicans are going to waste him!!
  • chastity_1111 2008/05/16 03:30:33
    chastity_1111
    +7
    no his associats tell his character,
    and those who support him knowing what we are just learning....he has no judgment...and takes us backward not forward in race relations
  • patblue... chastit... 2008/10/08 19:56:12
    patblue1947
    Can you say Keating Five?
  • Shirley 2008/04/15 00:47:25
    Shirley
    +9
    Obama is a deceitful candidate who says exactly whatever the group to whom he speaks wants to hear.
  • Katie~P... Shirley 2008/04/15 05:33:27
    Katie~PUMA!!!
    +5
    Something we've been saying for some time now!
  • patblue... Shirley 2008/10/08 19:56:42
    patblue1947
    You sure you didn't mean to say McCain?
  • pat 2008/04/13 19:19:15
    pat
    +5
    obama think's the white people are white trash and that we do not have any brain's and bitter he and his wife are using the white's because we are dead brain and put them in front to try and get vote's but we are proud American's and we do not need a racist to tell us we are bitter and look down on us
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2008/03/25 04:17:50
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +4
    Obama was not electable before he even announced that he was running. I do not know how he as gotten by this far.
  • smitty Kara ~~... 2008/04/04 16:22:15
    smitty
    +2
    I believe Hillary thought the same exact way...... McCain is shocked himself that he'd gotten this far...And Obama, may not have thought himself to get this far but here he is....America must be really ready to make a change!
  • Kara ~~... smitty 2008/09/05 01:14:25
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    America is not ready for the change that BO wishes for us. Obama leans so far to the left politically that he is bordering on Marxism. Is that the kind of change that we are ready for?
  • Michaelene smitty 2009/11/04 06:19:28
    Michaelene
    Obama has had his sights set on the Presidency for a decade. In the 3 whole seminars not classes that he taught he posed that question to his students.
  • chastit... Kara ~~... 2008/05/16 03:33:20
    chastity_1111
    +3
    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blo...

i do...a lieing biased media....and unfortunatly we learned nothing,
    and let them dictate our thoughts...but now we have the internet...there's hope yet truth may win the day.....

Here are some of Obama's true colors that the republicans are holding onto till Hillary is out of the Picture:
    Obama's Lies to start with:
    1.) Selma Got Me Born - LIAR, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 - Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965.
    2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - LIAR, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.
    3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - LIAR, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had
    4.) My Family Has Strong Ties To African Freedom - LIAR, your cousin Raila Odinga has created mass violence in attempting to overturn a legitimate election in 2007, in Kenya. It is the first widespread violence in decades.
    5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - LIAR, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5am according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn?t allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.
    6.) My Name is African Swahili - LIAR, your name is Arabic and ?Baraka? (from which Barack came) means ...

'

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blo...

Obama's Lies to start with:
    6.) My Name is African Swahili - LIAR, your name is Arabic and ?Baraka? (from which Barack came) means ?blessed? In that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama.
    7.) I Never Practiced Islam - LIAR, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years,until your wife made you change, so you could run for office.
    8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - LIAR, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book).
    9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - LIAR, not one teacher says you could speak the language.
    10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia, I Have More Foreign Experience - LIAR, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn?t even speak the language. What did you learn, how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.
    11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - LIAR, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies. 12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - LIAR, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine.
    13.)An Ebony Article Moved Me To Run For Office - LIAR, Ebony has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn?t, and never did, exist.
    14.) A Life Magazine Article Changed My Outlook On Life - LIAR, Life has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn?t, and never did, exist.
    15.) I Won?t Run On A National Ticket In ?08 - LIAR, here you are, despite saying, live on TV, that you would not have enough experience by then, and you are all about having experience first.
    16.) Present Votes Are Common In Illinois - LIAR, they are common for YOU, but not many others have 130 NO VOTES.
    17.) Oops, I Misvoted - LIAR, only when caught by church groups and democrats, did you beg to change your misvote.
    18.) I Was A Professor Of Law - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.
    19.) I Was A Constitutional Lawyer - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.
    20.) Without Me, There Would Be No Ethics Bill - LIAR, you didn?t write it,introduce it, change it, or create it.
    21.) The Ethics Bill Was Hard To Pass - LIAR, it took just 14 days from start to finish.
    22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bill - LIAR, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear Donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.
    23.) I Have Released My State Records - LIAR, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.
    24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - LIAR, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens. You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.
    25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - LIAR, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.
    26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - LIAR, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.
    27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - LIAR, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after their creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.
    28.) No One Contacted Canada About NAFTA - LIAR, the Canadian Government issued the names and a memo of the conversation your campaign had with them.
    29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - LIAR, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction of Israel.
    30.) I Am Not Acting As President Yet - LIAR, after the NAFTA Memo, a dead terrorist in the FARC, in Colombia, was found with a letter stating how you and he were working together on getting FARC recognized officially.
    31.) I Didn?t Run Ads In Florida - LIAR, you allowed national ads to run 8-12 times per day for two weeks - and you still lost.
    32.) I Won Michigan - LIAR, no you didn?t.
    33.) I won Nevada - LIAR, no you did not.
    34.) I Want All Votes To Count - LIAR, you said let the delegates decide. 35.) I Want Americans To Decide - LIAR, you prefer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.
    36.) I passed 900 Bills in the State Senate - LIAR, you passed 26, most of which you didn?t write yourself.
    37.) My Campaign Was Extorted By A Friend - LIAR, that friend is threatening to sue if you do not stop saying this. Obama has stopped saying this.
    38.) I Believe In Fairness, Not Tactics - LIAR, you used tactics to eliminate Alice Palmer from running against you.
    39.) I Don?t Take PAC Money - LIAR, you take loads of it.
    40.) I don?t Have Lobbyists - LIAR, you have over 47 lobbyists, and counting.
    41.) My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad - LIAR, your own campaign worker made the ad on his Apple in one afternoon.
    42.) My Campaign Never Took Over MySpace - LIAR, Tom, who started MySpace issued a warning about this advertising to MySpace clients. 43.) I Inspire People With My Words - LIAR, you inspire people with other people?s words.
    44.) I Have Passed Bills In The U.S. Senate - LIAR, you have passed A BILL in the U.S. Senate - for Africa, which shows YOUR priorities.
    45.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq - LIAR, you weren?t in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time, unlike Kucinich, who seems to be out gutting you Obama. You also seem to be stepping back from your departure date - AGAIN.
    46.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - LIAR, your plan leaves us all to pay the 15,000,000 who don?t have to buy it.
    47.) I Only Found Out About My Investment Conflicts Via Mail - LIAR, both companies you site as having sent you letters about this conflict have no record of any such letter ever being created or sent.
    48.) I Am As Patriotic As Anyone - LIAR, you won?t wear a flag pin and you don?t put your hand over your heart during the Anthem.
    49.) My Wife Didn?t Mean What She Said About Pride In Country - LIAR, your wife?s words follow lock-step in the vein of Wright and Farrakhan, in relation to their contempt and hatred of America.
    50.) Wal-Mart Is A Company I Wouldn?t Support - LIAR, your wife has received nearly a quarter of a million dollars through Treehouse, which is connected to Wal-Mart.
    51.) Treehouse Is A Small Company - LIAR, the CEO of Treehouse last year, made more than the CEO of Wal-Mart, according to public records. 52.) University Of Chicago Hospital Pay Is Fair - LIAR, your wife?s pay raise was nearly 150% her already bloated rate and the hospital is a Non-Profit Hospital, which made $100,000,000 in the last 3 years. They overcharge blacks VS whites for services, and overcharge everyone in general by 538%!
    53.)I Barely Know Rezko - Only 5 Billed Hours - LIAR, you have known him for 17 years, and decided to do a real estate deal with him during a time when he was proven to be under investigation. Despite this, you divided your property and had them take off $300K before the mortgage problems started. Then Rezko?s wife buys the lot beside it that you can?t afford, saving you $625,000.
    54.) My Donations Have Been Checked Thoroughly - LIAR, you only gave back Hsu ($72K) and Rezko (first $66K, then when caught lying $86K, then when caught lying again $150K and now caught lying YET AGAIN OBAMA, it?s $250k) their money when publically called on their involvement in your campaigns.
    55.) My Church Is Like Any Other Christian Church - LIAR, your church is so extreme, the pastor who married you, Rev. Wright, just got done blaming the US for 9/11 and named Louis Farrahkan their person of the year.
    56.) I Disagree With My Church All The Time - LIAR, you still have yet to repudiate Wright, who married you and your wife, and you still donate large sums of money to assist the church in furthering its message - hatred and revenge. You donated in 2006 alone, $22,500 to the church that you so terribly disagree with. That is nearly $500 PER WEEK - that sure is disagreement, Senator Obama.
    57.) I Have Clean Connections Despite Rezko - LIAR, you are not only connected to Exelon and Rezko, you are also connected to Hillary PAC supporter Mr. Hsu, AND an Iraqi Billionaire of ill repute, Nadhmi Auchi, who ripped off people in the Food For Oil, Iraqi deal. Seems Mr. Auchi may have helped Obama buy his million dollar property long before Obama had millions of dollars. Wonder what favors Mr. Auchi expects, when Obama leaves Iraq free to be taken over by special interests such as him.
    58.) I never heard sermons like Rev. Wright?s, that have been in videos all day, You Tube - LIAR! 3 days later during your Mea Culpa BS speech you said ?Did I hear controversial statements while I sat in that church? Yes I did.?
    59.) The Passport Invasion is a conspiracy to find dirt on me! - LIAR. Your own Campaign Foreign Policy Advisor is the CEO of the company that looked into your records. PS - You had them look into yours to hide the fact you looked into Clinton?s and McCain?s more than a year before! 60.) Rev. Meeks has nothing to do with my campaigning - LIAR. Rev. Meeks appeared in ads for your Senate Campaign, donated to you, and helped raise money, then AND NOW. PS - He also seems to despise America.
    61.) My wife didn?t mean America is ignorant, she was just using a phrase - LIAR. Again, Michelle's comments perfectly sync with Wright?s, Meeks?, and Farrakhans, both in language, anger, and direction.
    62.) I am very Anti-Terror - LIAR. [03/30/2008] One of your good pals is long time radical and terrorist William Ayers, with whom you have been seen in the last 12 months and who has helped the now jailed khalidi, Professor at Columbia who invited Ahmadinejad to the University, to raise money for Palestinian terrorism attacks against Israel. PS - Your church published a pro Hamas Manifesto - guess you weren?t there on THAT Sunday either? How lucky for you.
    63.) I have the best plan to cure the Mortgage Crisis - LIAR. [03/30/2008] You and your campaign buddy Penny SubPrime Bank Collapse Prizker have had your little fingers full of subprime cash - Obama has taken $1,180,103 from the top issuers of subprime loans: Obama received $266,907 from Lehman, $5395 from GMAC, $150,850 from Credit Suisse First Boston, $11,250 from Countrywide, $9052 from Washington Mutual, $161,850 from Citigroup, $4600 from CBASS, $170,050 from Morgan Stanley, $1150 from Centex, and last but certainly NOT LEAST - Obama received $351,900 from Goldman Sachs. I am sure that cash all came from folks who knew the subprime loan they had was a dream, eh? 64) I played greater role in crafting liberal stands on gun control, the death penalty and abortion - LIAR - [03/31/2008] It was found that Obama ? the day after sitting for the interview ? filed an amended version of the questionnaire, which appears to contain Obama?s own handwritten notes added to one answer. Read Obama had greater role on liberal survey
    65) I did NOT play the race card: - LIAR - [03/31/2008] Obama was the first to play the race card. According to Philadelphia Inquirer, Quietly, the storm over the hateful views expressed by Sen. Barack Obama?s pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, has blown away the most insidious myth of the Democratic primary campaign. Obama and his surrogates have charged that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has deliberately and cleverly played the race card in order to label Obama the ?black? candidate. Read more here
    66) I did not take money from oil companies: - LIAR - [03/31/2008] THE FACTS: True enough, Obama does not take money from oil companies. No candidate does. It is illegal for corporations to give money to politicians. Corporations, however, do have political action committees that collect voluntary donations from employees and then donate them to candidates. Obama doesn?t take money from PACs. He also doesn?t take money from lobbyists. But he does accept money from executives and other employees of oil companies and two of his fundraisers are oil company executives. As of Feb. 29, Obama?s presidential campaign had received nearly $214,000 from oil and gas industry employees and their families, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. Clinton had received nearly $307,000 from industry workers and their families and Republican Sen. John McCain, the likely GOP presidential nominee, received nearly $394,000, according to the center?s totals. Two of Obama?s fundraisers are Robert Cavnar, the chairman and chief executive of Houston-based Mission Resources Corp., and George Kaiser, the president and CEO of Tulsa-based Kaiser-Francis Oil Co. Source: Associated press via Yahoo News
    67) ?I don?t think my church is actually particularly controversial,? Obama said at a community meeting in Nelsonville, Ohio, earlier this month. - LIAR - But yesterday, he told a different story. ?Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes,? he said in his speech yesterday in Philadelphia
  • rocky 2008/03/24 03:05:02
    rocky
    +1
    Everyone is guilty of saying off the wall comments.
  • Katie~P... rocky 2008/03/24 16:15:07
    Katie~PUMA!!!
    +6
    Though not everyone has a spiritual mentor and advisor for 20 years and knows nothing of the Rev Wrights views and racist spewing!
  • cbs 2008/03/22 12:15:08
    cbs
    +6
    Rev Jerimiah Wright
  • wolf 2008/03/20 07:05:41
    wolf
    +9
    Imagine if Hill or John Mc went to a church and David Duke was the pastor.
    Would they still be in politics, NO.
    then why is Obama? why?
    Why does Obama get a pass on this.
    When nobody else would.
    He knew his ministers racist views and Obama being the alleged upright motivator, the great speech giver, the strong persuasive man of 'change' should have taken his minister aside and used his leadership skills and influenced, taught, and coached his racist minister to see the light. Obama did not, he did not take the lead, he did nothing but sit in his church pews and nod his head in agreement for 20 years.
  • Kara ~~... wolf 2008/03/25 04:25:30
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +5
    Newt Gingrich, Republican, had to step down as Speaker of the House when his mother made a racist remark. Connie Chung even lost her job for asking Newt's mother the question.
  • MS Kara ~~... 2008/10/08 19:08:15
    MS
    Where is Newt when we need him?
  • sandy 2008/03/20 01:18:37
    sandy
    +5
    I never considered him to be electable. He has proven me correct in the last weeks. His lies and deceit have come to light at last.
  • Katie~P... sandy 2008/03/20 05:27:12
    Katie~PUMA!!!
    +6
    March 20, 2008
    Obama's Pastor -- and Populism -- Foster Disunity
    By Mort Kondracke

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) is absolutely right, as he said in his Philadelphia speech on Tuesday, that Americans are "hungry" for his "message of unity."

But his relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright -- and not only that, but his whole liberal-populist agenda -- raises profound questions whether he is capable of delivering on it.

By choosing -- and sticking with -- the Rev. Jeremiah Wright as his spiritual adviser, Obama has damaged his ability to heal the nation's racial wounds. And his agenda offers nothing that will attract Republicans and end political polarization.

In the 1960s, black Americans had a choice whether to side with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. or Malcolm X -- the healer who sought to fulfill America's highest ideals through nonviolent struggle, or the raging polarizer who tried to mobilize blacks out of resentment of whites.

Jeremiah Wright -- not just back then, but to this day -- took the Malcolm X route. And Barrack Obama chose the Rev. Wright as his pastor.

And Obama stuck with him. Whether Obama was in church the day that Wright declared "Goddamn America" for systematically infecting blacks with drugs and HIV, or when he said that America's "chickens were coming..."

''""

'

'""

'

''

'""""'

'

""

''""

'

'

'''""

""

'""

'""

'

"""""''"

""

""

''
    March 20, 2008
    By Mort Kondracke

And Obama stuck with him. Whether Obama was in church the day that Wright declared "Goddamn America" for systematically infecting blacks with drugs and HIV, or when he said that America's "chickens were coming home to roost" on Sept. 11, 2001, surely Obama had to have heard about it.

Surely, he heard about Wright's pilgrimage to Libya's Muammar Gaddafi and his "lifetime achievement award" for Louis Farrakhan.

Now, Obama says, he rejects and abhors what Wright said and did. No doubt, he does. But, he could cite no instance when he ever intervened with Wright to protest his hateful nonsense. Reportedly, Oprah Winfrey quietly left Wright's church. Obama did not.

Obama aspires to be America's "post-racial" unifier, the political equivalent of Oprah Winfrey or Tiger Woods. In the political realm, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, a retired general and a Republican, could perform that function. Maybe Secretary of State Condi Rice could.

But, can Barack Obama, now burdened by the record of his association with Jeremiah Wright? I doubt it.

Obama's speech on Tuesday was eloquent and sophisticated, full of history, hope and calls for healing. It got rave reviews from liberals in the media.

But what will its effect be among white voters in the Democratic party, and among white Independents in the general election?

Obama's leading problem as a candidate -- also, to some extent, his advantage -- is that he is new on the national scene, largely an unknown. He has become the Democratic frontrunner by filling the data void with soaring rhetoric and promises to end the political polarization that prevents action to solve America's problems.

Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) has been loudly protesting that Obama lacks the experience to be president and hasn't been "vetted," as she has. Her "vetting," not incidentally, leads nearly half of all voters to say they'd never support her.

In desperation, the Clinton campaign decided to use Obama's race against him, evidently figuring that -- when all is said and done -- there are more whites in the Democratic party than blacks.

Whether a memo ever was written instructing her minions to play the "race card," lots of them did it: Sen. Clinton, her husband, Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell and former Rep. Geraldine Ferraro.

If Obama was trying to be Tiger Woods, the Clinton campaign has been stirring up the Fuzzy Zoellers. (Golf pro Zoeller infamously jibed that Woods would ask that watermelon and collard greens be served at the Masters champions dinner.)

And, the Clintons have succeeded -- as witness widening support for Clinton among whites, especially working-class whites, and African-Americans.

The Jeremiah Wright controversy will not dampen that trend. Maybe Obama's recitation of the wrongs done blacks that led to Wright's "anger and bitterness" will peel a few white liberals away from Clinton. But it will harden resistance to Obama among more conservative whites.

If Obama still wins the nomination, Wright will be an (unasked for) gift that keeps on giving to Republican Sen. John McCain (Ariz.). Obama and McCain will be in a battle for white Independents, and Obama's connection to Wright surely will repel them.

His relationship with Wright -- and also with indicted Illinois political fixer Tony Rezko -- also raise questions about Obama's judgment. He may have been correct to judge the Iraq War a mistake from the distance of the Illinois state Senate. But, up close to Wright and Rezko, his judgment was lousy.

But this isn't all that's dubious about Obama's claimed hope to bring about national unity. His method of reaching out to working-class whites was to find common enemies -- "a corporate culture rife with inside dealing, questionable accounting practices and short-term greed, a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests, economic policies that favor the few over the many."

Were he to be elected, if he truly wanted to foster unity and end polarization, he would have to reach out to Republicans to reach a series of "grand bargains" on entitlement reform, health care, education funding and energy and environmental policy.

Yet, there is nothing in Obama's agenda that a Republican could remotely be attracted to. It is liberal from top to bottom. His proposal for Social Security reform, for instance, is to raise taxes -- period. No shaving benefits, no private accounts -- no "bargain."

By one GOP estimate, Obama's new spending ("investment") proposals total $1.2 trillion over five years.

Rolling back President Bush's tax cuts for every family earning more than $250,000 a year would raise a little more than half that -- meaning that taxes would have to go up even more.

Some funds would be saved by pulling out of Iraq -- $9 billion a month is the figure Obama cites -- but that, too, would be rejected by Republicans.

Obama could do what he proposes by means other than "bridging differences" with Republicans. He could assemble what he called on Feb. 19 "a working majority for change." "That's how we win elections, that's how we will govern."

He said, "I want to reach out to everybody." But, if Obama could win a smashing victory in November and bring in five or six Democratic Senators and 15-plus new Democratic House Members, conceivably he could claim a 1964-style mandate and push through his program with next to no Republican votes.

This would not be "reaching out to everybody." It would be a repeat of the George Bush/Karl Rove strategy of 50 percent plus one -- a very polarizing way to govern.

But that possibility probably has been spoiled by Jeremiah Wright -- unless the economy and the Iraq War are truly wretched in November or if McCain badly stumbles. If he's elected, Obama will have to show a capacity for reaching out that he hasn't shown up to now -- except rhetorically. He is very good at rhetoric.
  • chastit... sandy 2008/05/16 03:36:45

2014/12/22 05:01:54