Is Nine Years Enough Punishment for Plotting to Kill Your Wife?

SodaHead News 2010/12/14 19:00:00
Related Topics: Murder, Crime
It sounds like a bad movie plot from a forgotten early 1980s Dan Akroyd movie: famous TV chef (avid churchgoer, doting husband, Knights of Columbus member, Love on 4 Paws volunteer) hires two homeless men to kill his wife (high school sweetheart and attorney). One of the men turns on him and the foodie plotter is arrested in a Los Angeles dog park where he frequently walks the couple's beloved pooches.

Except there was nothing funny about the plan hatched by former Food Network chef Juan-Carlos Cruz who was sentenced to nine years in state prison on Monday after pleading no contest to soliciting the hit job, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Cruz, 48, has to serve at least half of his prison term before becoming eligible for parole and was ordered to pay $1,870 in restitution. Under an earlier plea deal, prosecutors agreed to drop one count of attempted murder.

Do you think Cruz’s punishment fit the crime?

• DiViews2014 2010/12/14 20:47:26
    DiViews2014
    +4
    I am not sure why the charge of attempted murder was dropped, but with that being the case and from the information here, I would agree the punishment fits the charged crime. He will still be relatively young and wealthy after serving this sentence even if he serves all 9 years. I would not want him to marry anybody I cared about, he might get away with it next time.

• Walks_o... kobidob... 2010/12/24 04:54:48
    Walks_on_Clouds
    Christ warned listeners of the reality of Hell, and the punishments thereof, in the NT 14 times. If eternal punishment in the bottomless pit where the worm dies not isn't a reality and a threat to the living soul, why would our Saviour mention it so many times, what did our Saviour come to save us from?
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/01/01 08:15:41
    kobidobidog
    Love and live or hate and die-perish is not suffering,and Satan can't give life of any kind.therefore how can hell be eternal punishment even as heaven is long? God = life of the soul,and Satan = death of the soul.
  • Walks_o... kobidob... 2011/01/02 04:19:11
    Walks_on_Clouds
    The same Scriptures you say you believe in speak of hell as eternal punishment for the soul. To deny this to to cut and paste Scripture. You're either embracing it all or needing to toss it away rejected because God's Word demands completeness, order, wholesomeness.
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/01/06 22:34:06
    kobidobidog
    The punishment is eternal.It is a punishment where life has no power.Revelation 20:6:King James Bible
    Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

Dead are dead ,and living will be living. Don't believe in the god of war of the terrorists. They borrowed from your beliefs you know.
  • Walks_o... kobidob... 2011/01/07 04:34:35
    Walks_on_Clouds
    To believe as you do sounds convenient, but what if you're wrong?

This is very basic, it seems so to me. Can we agree that when Christ created man, He created him in God's own image?
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/01/14 02:28:38
    kobidobidog
    Gods image in us is a lot more than a form that is upright. Satan can impersonate God being also known as the bright and morning star looking like a human standing upright. Satan is in churches that teach about eternal burning hell,and have a negitive teaching of God in the old testament,and only seek their own persecuting others calling it good. Gods image is his everlasting meek loving character with a love beyond understanding. \We must have that love in us so we know him,and he knows us so we will not be deceived when a impostor shows up trying to impersonate Jesus in an unearthly bright form.

Man fell from the image he was created in. The perfect spirit of Jesus in us will give us his image back to us that our fall took away.

I know that I am right. I see God where the name is not professed. The atheist,and agnostics,gays, furries of the furry fandom tired gender,and zoosexuals too,and in fact whoever is persecuted are godly too because only Satan persecutes.Love all, and have eternal life of the soul,and don't love thinking it is good,and have eternal death of the soul.
  • Walks_o... kobidob... 2011/01/14 17:06:43
    Walks_on_Clouds
    You've told me nothing I don't already know. It's the soul death you've not convinced me of. I want to see scripture where original Hebrew, Aramaic and/or Greek support your call. Remember, Christ is both Savior and Judge. How do you account for the rich man 'in hell' crying out to Abraham afar off (Bosom) found in Luke 16.
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/01/20 23:42:28 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    Have Jesus in you who is God the father, and have life,and have not Jesus who is God the father in your soul,and have death.For before God in the form of Jesus came to save us all were dead in our sins,and sin is a body that dies, not having faith and doing bad to your neighbor,not loving your neighbor.Don't have the spirit of Jesus in you,and when the light of God shines the body,and soul will not survive. The rich man a Lazarus was an illustrative story. to drive home a point. Jesus was saying even if a human was raised up from the dead no one would believe him. I have read many NDEs, and I believe them. The dead that are not saved at this time are in holding pens as it were awaiting final judgment.
    Satan has no power to give life,and to have Satan as once master is to have death of the soul, whatever outcome could there be?
  • Walks_o... kobidob... 2011/01/21 22:17:27
    Walks_on_Clouds
    Well, I still haven't been convinced of soul death in the sense you're saying.
    One thing you said that is definitely inaccurate is who is in the believer. It is our faith in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ that saves our souls and causes us to repent and serve Him as Lord. It is the Holy Spirit that is in us, not Christ. Christ sits at the right hand of the Father preparing our mansions. It's our belief in Him that remains in us, not Christ Himself. The Holy Spirit is the Comforter that dwells inside us and seals us until the day of redemption.
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/01/27 22:54:04 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    I see humans being persecuted,and the is a reason for the persecution,and it is this;Satan sees the character of Jesus in them,and mounts an attach. Those humans may not acknowledge Jesus at all, but because Jesus is seeking us can find us and we do not even l know it. That is why Jesus said to feed his sheep,and to edify your brother. I see Jesus in the atheist and all those that are oppressed.Jesus is the holy spirit. Jesus is all things.Don't you remember Thomas saying MY Lord and MY God? Jesus has to be flesh and blood in us,and that is what he was teaching by saying unless to eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you. To have the spirit of Jesus in you he becomes flesh, and blood because we are flesh ,and blood.When we are sealed we must love all and that means the gay,and zoosexuals and pedophilia too. We are on a planet of sex and should accept it,and have our soul sealed until that day.
  • Walks_o... kobidob... 2011/01/27 23:43:24
    Walks_on_Clouds
    Christ said do this in REMEMBRANCE of me. Why? He was leaving to prepare a place for us. Christ never said the wine and bread turned into His body and blood. If that were true, we would be re-sacrificing Him at every communion. We don't. Read through Hebrews...the sacrifice was done once; count how many times He uses the word 'once.' Christ left back into heaven. He said before He'd leave, He'd send a Comforter. This was the Holy Spirit. Do you know about end times? When Christ returns, He will step onto the Mount of Olives. This happens from the sky. You can have an abundance of love for Christ in your heart, but He is not there, He's on the throne creating our mansions. If you're a believer in Christ, it's the Holy Spirit you have in you...sealing you till the day of redemption.
  • kobidob... Walks_o... 2011/02/04 03:16:20
    kobidobidog
    We crucify Jesus when humans incarcerate,and persecute the sexualities like the zoosexual,and pedophilia. and jail nudist. and terrify the third gender humans to have to flee for their lives. Jesus loved the out casts like the Samaritans,and so should we,and to not do that is crucifying he heart of Jesus
    The comforter was after he leaves that comforter is the holy spirit.
    That comforter is Jesus guiding you into all truth,and who else to guide you,am I right?.
    Be sealed unto the day of redemption,and the thought of persecuting anyone will be far from you.

A faithless generation looks for a sign. do you know about that one?
    Jesus will not touch this corruptible earth for the dead and living in Jesus will rise into the air,and there will we ever be with the Lord.
    KJB,
    John 3,8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the spirit. key word is spirit. the natural man has not that holy spirit,and that spirit is Jesus. have it not,and be not ready when Gods light shines.
    Jesus is preparing a place, that is right,and Jesus is preparing us to be there by living in us. Humans miss that Humans look to heaven for the answer,but the answer has to be in us to love all even as Jes...

KJB,
    Jesus is preparing a place, that is right,and Jesus is preparing us to be there by living in us. Humans miss that Humans look to heaven for the answer,but the answer has to be in us to love all even as Jesus loved all.Then we will love even as the dog of a good owner loves seeking not their own,and when that happens all of the churches will meld into one church.Then armies will evaporate,and jails will gather cob webs, persecution will cease.
    It was to remember that his blood was spilled,and that his body died for us. This is symbolized as eating that body that died for us so he can be in us by faith to be flesh, and blood in us.You are what you eat. Jesus has to be married to us to give us life to the soul. When Jesus who is the Lord is married to us Jesus is literally flesh, and blood in us,and the evidence of this is loving all even the outcast of society even as Jesus loved the out cast of his day. The churches of our day have missed that mark by a mile.We should hit that mark by loving all the sexualities,and clothing optional humans even when seen nude down town with other clothed humans, and love them just the same,and or humans who like interspecies sex called by one name zoosexual, and will hug them like you yourself would want to be hugged.
    .
  • MrMileHi 2010/12/15 03:23:38
    MrMileHi
    well...just (in my humble opinion) another example of the wealthy getting away with murder...(no pun, kuz it's not a joking matter). I'm not polished in the area of law, but who really needs to be when you're talking about trying to have your wife murdered. I feel that the punishment is rather LIGHT. This (had it been carried out) would be a premeditated murder, no? And if I'm thinking correctly, doesn't the PRE change the degree? I would like to be enlightened, so feel free to educate me...Happy Holidays to all of you =)
  • kobidob... MrMileHi 2011/01/14 02:45:24
    kobidobidog
    NO murder will get into the kingdom of heaven. A murderer will not get away with anything, and whoever has is going to get the short end of the stick,and better repent asking for forgiveness for real.That means an unrepentant murderer will be crying for the mountains to cover them when Jesus comes back with power, and great glory. The one who is murdered will be safe in the arm of Jesus. Satan is after the godly,and that is why you see what you see,and Satan wants man who shines no light to be just like Satan looking for revenge,and we must not by the grace of God let him for whoever does will be dragged into outer darkness, and Satan will extinguish the soul of whoever. Satan will also die in his own fire.Getting what he wants to give.
  • Zion21 2010/12/15 03:12:06
    Zion21
    No way. He did not show any remorse and would have went through with it. remorse
  • Captain America 2010/12/15 03:11:04
    Captain America
    Yes, and he should thank his stars that he did not kill her for his own sake.
  • Nisa PinkySwear(*~*) 2010/12/15 03:08:01
    Nisa PinkySwear(*~*)
    its intent to kill.....thats even worse
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2010/12/15 02:50:19
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    Twenty five years should have been the punishment.
  • bob h. 2010/12/15 02:06:02
    bob h.
    He didn't get 9 yrs. for the plot, he got it for aggravated stupidity.
  • ronbo 2010/12/15 02:05:05
    ronbo
    That,s a pretty light sentence for that serious a crime.
  • dfhjytkyu 2010/12/15 01:40:48
  • dfhjytkyu dfhjytkyu 2010/12/15 01:49:08
  • Azrael-In GOD we trust 2010/12/15 01:39:31
    Azrael-In GOD we trust
    I don't know what the maximum sentence for a crime like that would be.
    I used to watch him, but he must've snapped or some kind of a screw loose.
    Nine years-maybe when he'd get out, he might have the same kind of idea. That would be hard to judge but 9 years doesn't seem that long for such a serious crime.
  • DebraJMSmith 2010/12/15 01:16:25
    DebraJMSmith
    When I saw that on the news, I was shocked. That man should stay in prison for life.
  • BackRoadz 2010/12/15 01:16:01
    BackRoadz
    This man was conspiring to commit murder. At the very least his sentence should have been 40 years and after 20 years served been up for parole. He'll most likely serve only half of that 9 years that he was sentenced to and then be right back out on the streets conjuring up his next plan to commit murder. Please like this DESERVE to be locked up as long as possible!
  • antiteaparty 2010/12/15 01:10:53
    antiteaparty
    It's too much if she was messing with the remote and it was Monday night football!
  • Common Sense Conservative 2010/12/15 00:22:51
    Common Sense Conservative
    He should be put to death and in a hurry before taxpayers have to spend money to keep him around.
  • Dandydon 2010/12/14 23:50:09
    Dandydon
    If he's thinking about killing his wife for the next nine years.....Then no.
  • Ellen H 2010/12/14 23:32:04
    Ellen H
    Knights of Columbus, that's interesting, because Knights of Tempt-Lure (Masons) runs a global pornography ring, billion dollar underground in snuff porn films...with the homeless featured as the "stars of the show" (Fox news and Nancy Grace Show exposed) In case you wondered why so many criminals and "registered" child molesters moving in next door to lone impoverished mothers.
    Plenty of actors to star-in-snuff films, and all kinds of psychopaths spew-out "she had it coming"
  • csonu 2010/12/14 23:19:10
    csonu
    I don't even know who that is!
  • Queen B 2010/12/14 23:18:58
    Queen B
    Was he going to serve her liver with some fava beans and nice chianti?
  • La 2010/12/14 22:35:36
    La
    +1
    Why didn't he just get a divorce? Oooh I wonder what she did. Remember we haven't heard both sides of the story here. Maybe the b*tch deserved it.
  • hah La 2010/12/15 01:26:10
    hah
    +3
    This is it!
  • ThomasSnouffer 2010/12/14 22:32:40
    ThomasSnouffer
    +1
    "Conspiracy" is a tough call. It IS fairly reasonable to assume--because of the no contest plea--that this "man" was actually planning to have his wife killed (Not sure how he planned to console THAT action with that Fifth Commandment thing, but he probably had that one worked out somehow).

However, he did not actually ACCOMPLISH to deed. Ergo, he can't be put to death, and California's taxpayers get to foot the bill for his food, lodging, and medical care for a MINIMUM of four-and-a-half years. From what I hear on the news, seems like the taxpayers are being punished ENOUGH without giving THIS puke a longer sentence!
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2010/12/14 22:30:59
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    It depends on the DA's confidence in getting a conviction. 9 "sentence" years is effectively 4.5 in real years, so the punishment seems rather light. But if there was significant risk of him walking, I guess the deal made sense.

Considering what the original OJ Simpson jury did, anything is possible.
  • wolf sloan 2010/12/14 22:12:37
    wolf sloan
    +2
    IDK I've never met his wife
  • JamesCampbell 2010/12/14 21:43:38
    JamesCampbell
    +1
    Actually it gets weirder than a plain homicide...seems maybe she was IN ON IT

Alleged victim Jennifer Campbell was suicidal over not being able to have a baby. But suicide is a mortal sin in Campbell's religion, so authorities believe Cruz was attempting to execute a murder/suicide out of mercy.

Law enforcement sources tell us Campbell is solidly supporting her husband, and police and prosecutors have compassion for the couple. We're told there have been active plea bargain negotiations and it's possible a plea could be reached before Tuesday's hearing ... though we're told it's going to be hard to work out all of the details before then.
  • V~POTL~... JamesCa... 2010/12/15 05:14:25
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    I'm not so sure I'm buying it. Suicide is a no-no in his wife's religion, but murder is OK? And the most painless way to carry out the act was to recruit homeless people to do exactly what? According to TMZ (where they have a video of the alleged accomplices), they were supposed to cut her throat. This does not look like the work of a compassionate husband.

http://www.tmz.com/videos?aut...

People (usually women) have been known to tolerate incredibly abusive spouses, refusing to press charges, bailing the abuser out of jail, repeating the cycle over and over. This sounds more like one of THOSE cases.
  • Treecat V~POTL~... 2010/12/15 08:22:50
    Treecat
    Yeah I don't buy it either. A loving husband would not plan to murder his wife despite her depression due to infertility. It would be more reasonable to suggest, i don't know, adoption?
  • JamesCa... V~POTL~... 2010/12/22 15:04:06
    JamesCampbell
    It could be...I would not feel safe to assume as much....who knows?

2014/04/23 17:20:33