Is Nemo a Silly Name for a Snowstorm?

Snowstorm Nemo is upon us. In some parts of the East Coast, the snowstorm is still passing through. There have been four reported deaths, multiple power outages, intense shoveling sessions, and serious travel delays thanks to the snowstorm. Many people took it seriously, while others didn't--but we can't totally blame them.

Nemo is not just the name of this year's first big snowstorm. It's also the name of one of the main characters in Disney/Pixar's computer animated comedy-drama "Finding Nemo." That's why it's a bit head-scratching that meteorologists and other weather experts called this snowstorm after such a heartwarming film for the whole family.

According to CNBC, it was The Weather Channel which gave the snowstorm its name, possibly because the network wanted to draw more interest. Snowstorms aren't typically given names, unlike tropical storms and hurricanes, but it seems like Nemo was the exception. Maybe "Nemo" is a marketing ploy--or a prank on Disney--or both. Whatever it is, "Nemo" wasn't to be messed with this winter season.

Read More: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100446630

• Jesus Garcia 2013/02/10 19:35:47
    Jesus Garcia
    +25
    Surely both the storm and the fish are named for Captain Nemo. Captain Nemo, also known as Prince Dakkar, is a fictional character invented by the French science fiction author Jules Verne who appears in two of Verne's novels; Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870) and The Mysterious Island (1874).

• Taiju Takahashi 2013/03/06 17:40:05
    Taiju Takahashi
    I think it's absurd to name storms
  • Otto 2013/02/17 18:28:32
    Otto
    +5
    Captain Nemo
    captain nemo
  • codie.paul 2013/02/16 18:30:31 (edited)
    codie.paul
    Its different, but i think most people just like to make a mountain out of a molehill. Its a storm. Thats what is to be focused on, not the name. I dont think they named it after Captain Nemo. That would be insulting. He was a really good fictional Captain. And the storm was named to people dont get confused know which storm they are talking about. And it sounds better then just the big bad storm. Haha. It does sound more like a name for a hurricane though. And speaking of which, some of those have good names. And since they have been named it makes sense to name winter storms or any other for that matter. And Clownfish are orange. Haha. Its right there.
  • Marianne 2013/02/14 18:54:22
    Marianne
    I would have preferred "undecided".

Actually, my answer is a very late one, as a few have already given judicious answers, referring to the Latin origin (nemo = nobody, resp. no one) and Jules Verne's so popular Captain Nemo. This is also my belief. The anagram of nemo = omen is, though, an interesting idea.

The other ideas do not really fit, but "nobody" generates many ideas.

Some think of course of the clown anemonefish Nemo - an excellent propaganda for an increased protection against their commercial capture and the destruction of their natural habitat, especially for Amphiprion ocellaris (False Percula Clownfish) - the great productions should create touching stories like Nemo on endangered species to galvanise the public and enhance more coordinated efforts to saving, for instance, the last forest elephants in West and Central Africa, rhinoceroses, Amur and snow leopards, the Siberian tiger, and so many more. Just an idea, because animal and human rights and the protection of their environment are closely related - it is the last minute!

Last, but not least, Europeans will remember the "Spaghetti Westerns" by Sergio Leone, first controversed for their brutality, having become parodies, namely "My Name Is Nobody" (Il mio nome è Nessuno) with Terence Hill and Henry F...

I would have preferred "undecided".

Last, but not least, Europeans will remember the "Spaghetti Westerns" by Sergio Leone, first controversed for their brutality, having become parodies, namely "My Name Is Nobody" (Il mio nome è Nessuno) with Terence Hill and Henry Fonda, reminding of another "Nobody", though referring to Ulysses'/Odysseus' answer to blinded Polyphemus "My name is Nobody" (but Ulysses spoke Greek, not Latin: οὔτις (outis) "nobody" or "no one / no man"):

But silly or not, if there is no one or nothing, there is an empty space or an emptiness, open to winds or storms.

As to Captain Nemo, he was a mysterious character with a tragic past, a rebel, terrorist, penitent and benefactor, seeking justice and revenge, a brilliant inventor and strategist, able to destroy and able to spare lives, imprevisible like a storm ...

In this case, there would be a certain sense in giving a storm or blizzard his name. Maybe that "Captain Nemo" instead of "Nemo" would have raised less controversies.
  • Foghorn Leghorn 2013/02/13 02:09:48 (edited)
    Foghorn Leghorn
    I was expecting a little red fish and I got a blizzard.

finding nemo
  • zrexheartz 2013/02/13 01:25:42
    zrexheartz
    just think about :"OH NO NEMO IS HERE!!!!!" see what i mean
  • SCOGOSTOLOGY.ORG 2013/02/12 23:17:35
    SCOGOSTOLOGY.ORG
    The names they give to storms are never likeable
  • harley oldman 2013/02/12 19:14:24
    harley oldman
    But NOT as silly as. Fluffy the snow storm.
  • MikeNassau 2013/02/12 18:46:47 (edited)
    MikeNassau
    +4
    I can not believe all these answers from people who do not know Nemo refers to Captain Nemo, captain of the Nautilus in Jules Verne's novels. Captain Nemo
  • hippycat 2013/02/12 14:37:49
    hippycat
    +1
    same as 'Katrina' or any other name given to storms etc.
  • Archer ~ The Limit Break of... 2013/02/12 12:59:11 (edited)
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    +5
    I doubt it was named after the CGI fish.

I'll wager it was named after this (fictional) guy:

Nemo 20 000 leagues under sea
  • Muver 2013/02/12 04:04:51
    Muver
    But no more than any of the other names....why do they have to have a name at all...I think that is dumb...First they started naming hurricanes, then storms, now snow storms...I just do not see the point..
  • Festus 2013/02/12 03:23:26
    Festus
    I think the whole naming of snowstorms is a stupid idea anyway. Who is going to remember which one was which. When Nemo hit the east coast we on the west coast were not impressed, just thankful we didn't have to endure it. If they want to identify a certain storm I am sure the dates it occurred, and where, will do just fine. I thinks someone at the weather stations didn't have a lot to do one day and they just came up with this stupid idea! I decided years ago that a weather prognosticator would be the best job in the world anyway. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. You just have to say something like: "We didn't see this little front moving in from the west that caused the tornado yesterday, but our radar wasn't operating very well", or some other excuse for their ineptitude...just sayin'
  • Splinter76 2013/02/12 01:36:50
    Splinter76
    Why are we naming snow storms now?
  • Archer ... Splinter76 2013/02/12 13:02:04
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    Easier reference, especially if there's more than one major storm in the same area, in the same season. Yeah, if there's only one, saying 'the blizzard of '96' works. But if there's two? Which blizzard of '96?

Plus, it actually can get people paying closer attention to a storm, if it's named.
  • Splinter76 Archer ... 2013/02/12 14:41:51
    Splinter76
    +1
    Excellent point! Thank you!
  • rolliby 2013/02/12 01:13:16
    rolliby
    Uh - just WHEN were snowstorms getting names anyway? Just dumb.
  • dixe 2013/02/11 22:25:50
    dixe
    more suited for a hurricane, Nemo reminds me of Oceans
  • Melissa 2013/02/11 20:22:32
    Melissa
    All storms have stupid names
  • glj 2013/02/11 19:26:37
    glj
    +1
    Why are they naming snow storms in the first place?
  • txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry! 2013/02/11 18:57:04
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    ANYONE think this snowstorm AND the POPE resigning are just DISTRACTIONS FOR what is coming?

I think the probability factor is Very High.
  • rolliby txDON'T... 2013/02/12 01:14:57
    rolliby
    Probability factor surges to 99% if we add in your breath as the #1 distraction.
  • MassiveSinger 2013/02/11 18:06:52
    MassiveSinger
    +5
    It was probably just named after Captain Nemo.
  • JanHopkins 2013/02/11 17:45:12
    JanHopkins
    +1
    Since when do we name snowstorms? Snowstorms have always been identified by the year they happened.
  • Zepland 2013/02/11 17:16:09
    Zepland
    I don't think it really matters if we name a storm Nemo, Frozflakes, Bud, The Great Strong One.
  • Catita 2013/02/11 16:50:29
    Catita
    +1
    CT was the first State to named storms, the copy cats are doing a pretty bad job, they should stop. The blizzard's name is Charlotte not nemo......by the way I am buried in snow, this has been horrible, we are still trying to dig out of this crap. only a path in the back porch to let my poor Chi out. and.......there is another coming this weekend according to the news this morning.
  • Callaway 2013/02/11 16:17:10
    Callaway
    +1
    I'm trying to figure out when they started naming winter storms?
  • smitty Callaway 2013/02/11 21:54:53
    smitty
    +2
    Just this year. Marketing pitch from TWC. just wait till zeus hits or q. hahaha

http://www.weather.com/news/w...

Nemo: A Greek boy’s name meaning "from the valley," means "nobody" in Latin.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2013/02/11 15:59:42
    Lerro DeHazel
    The thing about Nemo is people associate that title to "that fish" character . . . It's fairly new to the great majority; in which, if I may speak for; we didn't use that title, really, until the "more recent characterization" of the sea creature of Disney's "Finding Nemo" which was only around for about the last Decade, or so . . .
  • cynthia.johanson.7 2013/02/11 15:58:27
    cynthia.johanson.7
    +2
    Nemo makes me think of water not snow.
  • ~ The Rebel ~ 2013/02/11 15:42:34
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +2
    Reverse it and it's 'OMEN'...
  • txDON'T... ~ The R... 2013/02/11 18:03:32
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    +2
    Ooooooohhh, now that's creepy!
  • ~ The R... txDON'T... 2013/02/11 18:19:26
    ~ The Rebel ~
    +1
    Brought to you by:

NEMO Blizzzard a Product of DHS Aerosol Geoengineering Program "HAAMP"
    http://www.rumormillnews.com/...
  • txDON'T... ~ The R... 2013/02/11 18:51:21
    txDON'TMESSw/GOVRickPerry!
    Went to your link and watched the videos - fascinating! God won't allow such tampering/poisoning with His Creation much longer!
  • ~Worlds Away 2013/02/11 15:41:53
    ~Worlds Away
    its pretty funny though lol
  • jay 2013/02/11 15:33:44
    jay
    +1
    The Weather Channel has become the place for sharters to be told things to shart about by on-air sharters.
  • Tiger!! 2013/02/11 15:11:23
    Tiger!!
    idk lol!!!!!
  • rchie 2013/02/11 14:58:07
    rchie
    +1
    Nemo maybe a good name for a typhoon.,, Why not Yeti for a snowstorm?
  • Archer ... rchie 2013/02/12 13:05:29
    Archer ~ The Limit Break of PHAET
    You'd be better off suggesting another 'n' name. Just like with hurricanes, they're going down the alphabet.

If you don't like 'nemo', suggest another 'n' name - not a 'y' name.

Here's the list for this year:
    2013 named winter storms
  • rchie Archer ... 2013/02/12 14:21:55
    rchie
    oh.,, let's see.,, how about Nimrod???

2014/10/24 08:30:34