Is Morgellons 'Crawling Skin' Disease Purely Psychological?

Morgellons disease is supposedly a skin condition characterized by a "crawling" sensation in the skin, and though it is not a real diagnosis it's often used to describe any number of related symptoms that can't be explained. However, after analysis of skin and blood samples from more than 100 patients, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control is ruling the condition out as a psychological phenomenon.

Spokesman Daniel Rutz explained, "We saw a growing number of people complaining about these unusual symptoms, and as a public health agency we felt the need to see what was going on. It was important to rule out an infectious cause because a lot of people were concerned about transmission ... These sores appear often to be the result of people picking at themselves, as they would if they had a chronic irritation that couldn't be resolved any other way."

According to ABC News, the CDC also found that they detected drug use in about half of the patients and "a neuropsychiatric condition." This has lead scientists to look at other possibilities. One neurologist, Dr. Anne Louise Oaklander of Massachusetts General Hospital, suggests the irritation might be the result of nerve damage that "causes them to fire without appropriate cause."

• H H 2012/01/26 21:45:50
    H H
    +14
    I'm not sure about Morgellons, but I would not be influenced by anything the CDC said. The CDC maintained a position for years that chronic fatigue syndrome was not a real physical illness but a psychological problem. Saying the patient must be crazy for something that is not yet understood by doctors is not good science or good medicine. The CDC lost all credibility with me when they did that.

• art1ej 2012/02/22 12:09:55
    art1ej
    im sure i get this but i dont see anything wrong with it...
  • stevmackey 2012/02/16 23:35:09
    stevmackey
    +1
    From time to time I see lumps move across my legs. I know because it attracts my attention. There is nothing bad about it. It just happens.
  • BILL 2012/02/03 00:46:51
    BILL
    +1
    Well I do know that stress can cause alot of problems
  • Woots 2012/02/01 16:08:27
    Woots
    +1
    Have a good migraine and then tell me it's Psychological.
    Every time I've had one my skin feels like it's having a nascar race around my body.
  • Micha Vengeance Way 2012/01/30 17:13:45
    Micha Vengeance Way
    +1
    Are they all on drugs?
  • Tennessee3501 2012/01/30 17:01:44
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    I have no idea since medicine is not my field. However, there was a time when men were told that impotence was purely a psychological condition and that if you were having problems, in all cases you should see a shrink! It sounds like an opinion from the dark ages, but it was not that long ago! Doctors are too quick to blame "psychological phenomenons" for medical conditiions they cannot diagnose. There are conditions caused by or enhanced by stress and psychological problems, but Morgellons patients should keep seeing sepcialits and volunteer themselves for research studies on the phenomenon.
  • Mayday 2012/01/30 15:34:14 (edited)
    Mayday
    +1
    It is a symptom of disease...

Formication: The illusion or hallucination that ants or other insects are creeping on or under the skin. Formication is a feature of some psychotic states as well as drug and alcohol abuse. From the Latin formicatio, from formicare meaning to creep like an ant. Not to be confused with fornication.
  • Eric 2012/01/30 15:06:54 (edited)
    Eric
    +1
    As a health care provider, i am appalled that such physical and consistent symptoms would even be presented as psychological. It shows a callused disregard for the pain and suffering that these victims suffer.
  • tc 2012/01/30 14:19:41
    tc
    +3
    Patients who have unknown itching beware. My mother had it for over 9 months. She broke out in rashes, she itched terribly, she had awful sores. They told her she had shingles, then scabies, that it was pchyological, then mange from her dogs. The dogs didnt have it by the way she took them to the vet. She took all kinds of drugs and for over two months had to wash with pesticides. She also had intermittant pain in her belly. She had xrays, scans, all kinds of tests. They found nothing. Finally an orange size tumor was found in her colon. Guess what the day they took it all all her symptoms disappeared. The cancer caused the skin issues but is not part of symtoms that the doctors look for. Itching can be your bodys way of telling you something is wrong. It can be an autoimmune symtom to cancer. Beware some cancers cannot be detected till it is too late.
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/01/30 14:17:46
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +1
    Using ABC as a source for information tends to open up the notion of a pop psych label they intent to push.
    In terms of diagnosis, and treatment, generally there is a presenting case, my skin crawls when I hear O'Barry speak. Were O'Barry out of office and not on a perpetual campaign maybe my skin wouldn't crawl? I only hope.
  • Eccles 2012/01/30 11:35:46
    Eccles
    +1
    The Causes for so many aliments are unknown all I can say from experience is that I break out in a rash when I get frustrated.
    It has been a lot better now I don't have a Pig boss and all the work related Politics to deal with.
  • Karl Marx 2012/01/30 04:57:02
    Karl Marx
    +1
    What the hell's up with sodahead's new trend of putting up gross pictures?
  • staardu... Karl Marx 2012/01/30 05:18:15
    staarduster
    How is someone scratching their back gross?
  • Karl Marx staardu... 2012/01/30 05:29:20
    Karl Marx
    +1
    I know, I'm weird.
  • Riobhca 2012/01/30 03:02:47 (edited)
    Riobhca
    +2
    It may well be true that there is a psychological element and/or cause, but that doesn't make it any less of a disorder. It is well-known that mental disorders can manifest themselves as skin problems. However, I wouldn't believe anything that the CDC says. They have totally lost sight of their original purpose.
  • jacktown kid 2012/01/29 23:58:15
    jacktown kid
    +1
    just annoying
  • Krinkle 2012/01/29 22:54:31
    Krinkle
    +2
    I think it is a symptom not a disease.
  • talking jaguar 2012/01/29 22:09:06
    talking jaguar
    +1
    I think an important thing to consider is the prescription drugs. They can effect on people even after the drug has been stopped. Big Pharma has found it's way into a great many households.
    Another thing to consider is the food, it's additives and the chemicals that we are now be consuming.
  • Sabrena Heimes 2012/01/29 15:09:14
    Sabrena Heimes
    +1
    I think that there are so many hypochondriacs out there that nothing should be ruled out.
  • Sexyjennifer 2012/01/29 13:44:46
    Sexyjennifer
    +1
    There are lots of "diseases" that are purely psychological.
  • zari 2012/01/29 12:26:42
    zari
    +3
    Take ParaCleanse. It's a natural anti-parasitic and you can find it at GNC. I used to feel something crawling in my eyes, doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong so I went to an herbalist one time who mixed a bunch of teas leaves together for me and gave to me to take home. I boiled the tea and drank it and after about 2 doses (cups), the crawling started to go away. Sometimes you have to seek out your own cure with natural remedies. Here's a book that might help, Nature's Pharmacy by Dr. Lynne Paige Walker and Ellen Hodgson Brown, J.D
  • The Nixus 2012/01/29 10:26:47
    The Nixus
    +3
    I have ichy skin that is caused through sub-concious feelings that had been repressed, now I release the agony of my broken childhood my skin gets worse, this I beleive is caused through nerve endings in the brain re-connecting to allow bodily feeling and this release can cause smell, touch, sense to be exaggerated so I think it is a new nervious disposition where if people can accept and ignore the iching and treat it with bathing in clean sea salted water, relax and accept your feelings and DNA are changing by the sun's energy we can live in a better understanding of what is happening.

Man's concious mind is being adapted yet again, each cycle of our planet brings gifts to mankind to show where we have been going wrong for the last 300,000 years. This last cycle in the school of earth will bring many good things for those that seek it and dark things for those who seek war and revenge throutgh hatred and greed, the greedy onse will demise at the hand of a date that only one entity knows and eveyone denies this entity it's devine right through the non-understanding of false religion and preditory greedy politics.

Enjoy the so called END DAY's as something BIG is about to happen that will blow everyones minds and put the world governments into fear as they will realise is is...

Enjoy the so called END DAY's as something BIG is about to happen that will blow everyones minds and put the world governments into fear as they will realise is is not them that rules this world but the meek and mild people who are too scared to speak up for themselves. We have come here to enlighten mankind and yet we are rejected but we smile knowing that we all have to wake up little ones, your are loved from afar, feel it, beleive it and find out proof about your corrupt governments that cover things up and tell you mis-truths so you follow them still.

Free your mind

love you all, love peace and ligh, Oh I am not mad either, I've been tested :-) have you?

Namaste.
  • SonofSpermcube 2012/01/29 09:19:42
    SonofSpermcube
    I used to sit at my computer barefoot in an insect-rich environment. I got that sensation in my legs a lot. Sometimes it was nothing. Sometimes it was not. The times it was not made me really goddamned paranoid.
  • SourDiesel 2012/01/29 07:53:27
    SourDiesel
    +2
    The possibility of this being a real condition scares the hell out of me!
  • beefdrapes 2012/01/29 07:23:06
    beefdrapes
    +4
    Chemtrails. GMO etc...
  • Kronan_1 2012/01/29 07:07:20
    Kronan_1
    It's more likely scabies.
  • daylight 2012/01/29 06:47:13 (edited)
    daylight
    +2
    Blackwalnut, clove, are two of the most powerful herbs to kill parasites.
    People I went through hell and cast off so many parasities. They are here to turn the body into dust. We are full of them!!! Learn to cleanse the small intestine and the colon. Learn to keep them at bay and you will have more time here on earth and less time under the system.

But the sad thing about people is this: they worm their cats, their dogs, their horse, but never worm themselves. How sad and foolish is that? People think they are protected from parasites, worms, liver flukes, round worms, pin worms and tape worms (many parasites not named) because they are human and above animals. They forget that we live in a fallen world, and we are all subject to death( and it comes in the form of parasites, and parasites cause good cells to go bad- cancer etc, etc, etc

Do a cleanse, we are all in a fight , in a war. Life here on earth is war.
  • Maria R 2012/01/29 05:14:42
    Maria R
    +2
    Every once in a while I get the creepy crawly skin phenomenon. I really think it's like that jumpy nerve twitch thing most people occasionally experience only much more subtle but annoying.
  • Huntclan 2012/01/29 03:41:16
    Huntclan
    Dr. Manny Alvarez says yes.
  • mzemma 2012/01/29 02:45:25
    mzemma
    +2
    The disease is probably environmentally related.. either from the crap we have for food to eat, or some time of drug that the drug companies are pushing, creating disease just so they can.. starting with acting-up kids. Yea the the way of the future: " Let's get'em all on pharmaceuticals so we can make lots of money for ourselves... get them conditioned to being on drugs so they think it is a natural course of life.. and then we can keep'em on drugs for life... gee look at all the money we can make then".....yeah.. we are wealthy elitist greedy, greedy jerks. We don't care about "the greater good" we only care about making billions".. for what?
  • phoenix AFCL 2012/01/29 02:23:24
    phoenix AFCL
    +4
    Gee.. wonder if the systematic poisoning of our air and soil from chem trails might have something to do with this 'mysterious' illness?
  • Flea 2012/01/29 01:46:41
    Flea
    +2
    I don't think there's enough info yet to say "yea" or "nay"- look how long it took the medical establishment to recognize diseases like ADHD, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and the like.
  • Orangedragan 2012/01/29 01:04:57
    Orangedragan
    +1
    I've never heard of Morgellon's before, but I have seen much stranger things explained as pure psychological issues. I have watched videos of people hear about the symptoms of some strange disease, that doesn't actually exist, and they will start exhibiting those symptoms purely because they were convinced they had the imaginary disease. Based on that, I don't find it hard to believe that Morgellon's could be completely psychological. The mind is a powerful thing.
    +3
    Not from what I have read!
  • bob h. 2012/01/28 21:56:41
    bob h.
    +1
    Hell no. You got the "bugs". Quit drinking. Idiots. Probably spent millions instead of just asking who gets it.
  • Lucy 2012/01/28 19:49:45
    Lucy
    +1
    No one knows for sure, but like so many odd ailments i.e. sensitivities to smells like perfume and that ailment where mostly women are too weak or tired to do anything, may very well be in their minds. To the person it is real, but I doubt it.
  • jimrthy... Lucy 2012/01/28 22:00:57
    jimrthy BN-0
    +2
    Here's the kicker: if it's real in your mind, it *is* real.

We each believe that we have sensory organs that connect us to the outside world, but there isn't any "we", "sensory organ", or "outside world". There isn't anything except subatomic particles (if that) bouncing around in a hologram.

There's an awareness that thinks of itself as "me". "I" suspect that you represent an awareness which also thinks of itself as "me". I don't have any real way to know. You might very well be an AI. This is more obvious on the internet, but it's really equally true in real life.

Reality is crazy.
  • Lucy jimrthy... 2012/01/29 22:52:55
    Lucy
    Yes, I agree with that part.
  • Leo 2012/01/28 19:36:42
    Leo
    +2
    Lots of hypochondriacs out there. In this age with the media and the constant drug ads, they start imagining they have everything under the sun.
  • Lucy Leo 2012/01/28 19:51:43
    Lucy
    +1
    I know. I have met two women who have chronic fatique syndrome. They are all frail-acting women who i think use it to get out of doing things. One can't stand perfume and is always feeling ill, but she can go into a candle shop if she wants too. Even I cannot stand candle shops.

2014/10/23 21:26:50