Is McCain sexist for opposing equal pay bill for women?

Chr*stopher 2008/04/24 21:42:24
Yes, McCain's opposition to an equal pay bill for women is sexist. I demand equality.
No, I agree with McCain. There would be too many lawsuits if this bill passed.
Republican Senator John McCain said he opposes a Senate bill that seeks equal pay for women, because it would create unnecessary lawsuits. The bill sought to counteract a Supreme Court decision limiting how long workers can wait before suing for pay discrimination. It is named for Lilly Ledbetter, a supervisor at the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.'s plant in Gadsden, Alabama, who sued for pay discrimination just before retiring after a 19-year career there. Ledbetter made $6,500 less than the lowest-paid male supervisor and claimed earlier decisions by supervisors kept her from making more.

Senate Republicans killed the bill Wednesday night on a 56-42 vote that denied the measure the 60 votes needed to advance it to full debate and a vote. Senators Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both support the measure.

• Chartreuse Dog ~COB 2008/04/25 00:46:36
    Yes, McCain's opposition to an equal pay bill for women is sexist. I demand e...
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +9
    Sex discrimination has been against the law for some time. This bill would clarify what the law means. It is necessary because the Supreme Court ruled in a recent case that a woman who had been discriminated against for many, many years, but had no way to know of the discrimination because of company policies against supervisors revealing their own compensation, that she should have filed her discrimination suit when the discrimination first occurred (even though she had no way to know of the discrimination). The bill clarifies that discrimination doesn't just occur one time, it occurs every payday that she gets less money than her male counterparts doing the same job.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin...

H.R.2831 : To amend title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to clarify that a discriminatory compensation decision or other practice that is unlawful under such Acts occurs each time compensation is paid pursuant to the discriminatory compensation decision or other practice, and for other purposes.

• No Country for Young Men 2009/02/01 20:56:45
    No Country for Young Men
    McCain is not opposed to equal pay. He is just anti-lawsuit. Men got a 25-year head start on women after WWII and pay is still lagging behind because of it. Once these old-timer men retire the gap will get less and less. We don't have to sue out companies out of business to achieve equality.
  • cadgirl442008 2008/10/30 04:00:51
    cadgirl442008
    A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against your wife, mother, sister, or daughter. The lawsuits could be grandfathered. The worst of his vote was his reasoning, "we need more education and training" John, you're an idiot. Sadly Palin, too supports that. What the heck is wrong with her beyond the many obvious other issues?
  • kiya42 2008/10/28 01:48:10
    kiya42
    he is a sexist basturd
  • Logger's Daughter 2008/09/16 04:46:06
    Logger's Daughter
    sexist pig
  • bob 2008/09/04 03:08:26
    bob
    Is there a women alive in this country who dosen't believe this is sexism at its worse? I challenge every women in this country who believe she will vote for the Republican ticket to describe in her own words exactly how the election of John McCain will benefit her or those family memebers closest to her. And please, skip the crap about taxes - somebody has to foot the bill and it is not the McCain, Bush and Cheneys of the country!
  • magouche 2008/08/22 17:38:30
    magouche
    but what do you expect from a man who calls his wife a CU.T?
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/07/14 20:51:05
  • Lynn 2008/06/24 00:54:18
    Lynn
    McCain is a sexist,he dose not even want us to get equal pay for the same job are you kidding me? But he thinks we should vote for him come on. With a vote like that how can he even ask women to vote for him?
  • rhstarr 2008/06/11 22:10:50
    rhstarr
    Yea he is, cause if we as women have to work as hard as men and do the same jobs as men. I think we desiver the same pay. Hell I think we should be paid more than men. Cause WE as women have kids, as we women support our husbands on what they want to do, we raise the kids. An most of us work. Not only that there are tons of single women with kids, that are tring to do it wall without child support. Now Im not sexist, but I think that the only women that should not get equal pay are the ones that complain about the work.
  • Brew City Junior 2008/05/10 08:26:01
    Brew City Junior
  • patchesm27 2008/05/08 15:58:13
    patchesm27
    +1
    Any woman who votes for this man has no self worth!
  • cinfulone 2008/05/08 04:37:16
    cinfulone
    +1
    Many men do not have the brains that women have. Women should get paid the same if not more for putting up with their BS!!
  • Chris [Ninja]™ 2008/05/07 08:14:53
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    I totally agree, we tried something like this... It's called affirmative action and it doesn't work too well.
  • The Beaver 2008/05/07 03:00:34
    The Beaver
    +1
    Another example of extreme dementia on his part!
  • S.A. Ward ~ Proud Liberal!! 2008/05/06 20:27:31
  • Ispellbad 2008/05/06 18:18:42
    Ispellbad
    +4
    This is bull . If a women dose the work justlike a man she should get paid like a man! point blank!
  • Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~ 2008/05/06 15:23:17
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +3
    But his wife is wealthy so why would he care?

He's wrong about the lawsuits being unnecessary. This is a social justice issue that can only be addressed by going to law.
  • True~Male 2008/05/06 03:44:03
    True~Male
    +4
    I would hope that in America , by this time everyone could be equal but gay marriage isn't even acceptable to McCain -- So what can you expect --it's his generation that think like that!!
  • Ali ~ I... True~Male 2008/05/06 15:25:12
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +4
    True, uvincali. The man's a dinosaur in his world view and that makes him a dangerous choice for president.
  • kevracer 2008/05/06 02:18:10
    kevracer
    +5
    typical damned Republican, worried about his rich wife's business interests.
  • Ali ~ I... kevracer 2008/05/06 15:26:13
    Ali ~ In My Heart I Trust ~
    +2
    Hadn't thought of that aspect, just that his wife's wealthy so in no need of equal pay protection.
  • Nate SD 2008/05/05 23:58:16
    Nate SD
    +1
    I don't care about lawsuits, but we have a free market economy. If women want more money at work, they need to demand it. If they are not given fair pay based on sex, then there are already laws in place to give them legal recourse.

I think the same can be said for the entire middle class. The middle class has seen insignificant increase in pay compared to the market as a whole over the last 20 years. Middle class Americans need to be demanding better wages and not just accepting what rich corporate asshole give you.
  • S.A. Wa... Nate SD 2008/05/06 20:30:55
  • Nate SD S.A. Wa... 2008/05/07 00:17:11
    Nate SD
    +1
    I read the entire poll and I was aware of this limitation prior to this poll. My comment and opinion still stands.
  • S.A. Wa... Nate SD 2008/05/07 03:55:01
  • countessK 2008/05/03 06:31:49
    countessK
    +3
    There are so many single mothers now, with no child support, trying to make their way. I think that women should have equal pay for equal work and it is worth a few law suits if it takes that. Think of the children it will help.
  • 134 2008/05/01 02:28:23
  • DanFlo85 2008/04/30 03:42:06
    DanFlo85
    I don''t feel like I know enough to give a real answer to that and unlike many others I refuse to speak from my ass. So no comment.
  • mac -Holding Fast 2008/04/28 13:58:25
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    I actually agree with Jackie G. I was looking for additional information on this case.

I think of it this way- if a bill is introduced and someone else shoots it down out of hand, it was likely a poorly concieved bill. It was worded in such a way as to make the people who had no choice but to strike it down look bad.

The people who introduced it knew how McCain would react, this is the only reason for it being brought up now. Regardless of the proceedings after the fact, those who introduced the arguement (not the bill) would have the ability to say "Oh, look at him! He's a sexist!"
  • Chartre... mac -Ho... 2008/04/28 18:22:36
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    The bill was actually supported by a sizable majority in both the House and the Senate. It easily passed the House of Representatives. It was supported in the Senate by a 56-42 majority. The only reason it did not pass was because it takes 60 votes to end a filibuster, and supporters fell 4 votes shy of that 60% super-majority.

Read through the rest of the comments on this thread and you will find a good bit of information about the bill, and links to more information.
  • mac -Ho... Chartre... 2008/04/28 18:25:34
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    Hmmm... the majority supported it... the current majority would be the POTUS Candidate's opposition party...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Because partisan politics have no place in US government, right?
  • Chartre... mac -Ho... 2008/04/28 18:46:03
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +3
    So you're still claiming the bill was brought up to use against McCain? I think that's a crock. It was brought up to right a wrong.
  • mac -Ho... Chartre... 2008/04/29 12:36:11
    mac -Holding Fast
    +1
    You don't think politics happens in a political setting?

Who sent the case up for debate?

(I see it was first "introduced" in July of 2007. Why is it only now that a vote happens?)

What other activities has Congress been looking at recently?

And yes, these kinds of thins that to the public look very straightforward (and often even to those voting on it) are in fact aimed at certain groups. This is the reason for ear-marking. It is both effecitve at getting money to unrelated causes, and being a "deal breaker" that can be used against the target.

I don't like the guy, but Chris Matthews explains the mechanics quite well in his book "Hardball."
  • lfc 2008/04/27 23:49:25 (edited)
    lfc
    +3
    That's not very smart when your running for president . Especially when there are more women voting . Instant pay cut for Johnny ...
  • mac -Ho... lfc 2008/04/28 15:01:10
  • shadow 2008/04/27 21:45:01
    shadow
    +2
    Ignorantia legis non excusat.... Those wonderful Latin words which make some people want to scream and pull their hair out.... Ignorance of the law is no excuse....

"Republican Senator John McCain said he opposes a Senate bill that seeks equal pay for women, because it would create unnecessary lawsuits."

Shame on you Christopher, I dislike seeing someone twist words to mean something other than what was intended... Actually the following was said...

"I am all in favor of pay equity for women, but this kind of legislation, as is typical of what's being proposed by my friends on the other side of the aisle, opens us up to lawsuits for all kinds of problems," the expected GOP presidential nominee told reporters. "This is government playing a much, much greater role in the business of a private enterprise system."

The bill sought to counteract a Supreme Court decision limiting how long workers can wait before suing for pay discrimination.

It is called "fine tuning" the law... It has to do with setting a time limit on how long they can wait before suing... not IF they can sue.....
  • Chartre... shadow 2008/04/28 13:30:41
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +1
    How does that phrase apply to your point?
  • shadow Chartre... 2008/05/03 12:51:45
    shadow
    Um... you really do not understand...? or you are just trying to jerk my chain....
  • Chartre... shadow 2008/05/03 14:33:21
    Chartreuse Dog ~COB
    +1
    The phrase "ignorance of the law is no excuse" means that a person can be guilty of an offense even if they did not know of the law, in the case of a strict liability offense. For example, if you are charged with driving on the wrong side of the road, you do not get off by claiming you did not know the law requires you to drive on the right.

Lilly Ledbetter was not claiming ignorance of the LAW. She was claiming that her employer kept her ignorant of the FACTS. Not the same thing, at all.
  • shadow Chartre... 2008/05/04 02:52:56
    shadow
    +1
    Chartreuse... I am more than slightly aware of what the phrase means...

I am fully aware of what Lilly claimed. However, Title VII law stands on its own.

In Lilly's case, there was a statue of limitations under Title VII. While she did establish a prima facie case, she failed to meet Title VII's timely-filing rule.

Ledbetter's evidence was limited to events that took place after Sept. 26, 1997, or 180 days prior to her EEOC charge. The rule is meant to foster quick and efficient resolution, in addition to protecting companies from being slapped with lawsuits from years prior.

On May 29, 2007, a divided Supreme Court upheld the 11th Circuit's decision, finding that the limitations period for a disparate pay claim cannot be extended or disregarded.

Ledbetter should have filed an E.E.O.C. charge within 180 days after each allegedly discriminatory pay decision was made and communicated to her. She did not do so, (and thus her ignorance was no excuse) and the paychecks that were issued to her during the 180 days prior to the filing of her E.E.O.C. charge did not provide a basis for overcoming that prior failure.

2014/10/20 11:26:25