Is masturbation a sin (against the will of God)?

Jon 2009/01/14 22:57:13
Yes, it is wrong and this is why I believe that.
No, and I'm offended that you asked.
Yes, but I can't stop it
Yes and God help me!
The debate rages on: Is masturbation a sin? Although this question is meant to be answered with your opinion, what does your inner person (conscience) say? Is there any condemning feeling after the orgasm is over? (Be honest and don’t answer in a way just to get a reaction from your peers) And if so, what are you to do about it? (All joking aside, being mature u know) If you ignore those thoughts and feelings that come from your conscience when you are a young boy or girl, and just keep doing it to satisfy your desires, what does it lead to? Loneliness? Emptiness? Joy (without shame)? What?
(These are honest questions ask by a person who has both practiced masturbation and has found a peace about the entire subject - this is not meant to add to the condemning feeling or to encourage you to blow it off and proceed in your beliefs.)

• I'm Left, You're Wrong 2009/01/14 23:05:25
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +3
    No, masturbation is not a sin.

...and according to the church, sexual intercourse between a married man and woman isn't a sin either. But would you have sex with your spouse in public, at family gatherings, or in front of your children? Of course not.

A little common sense is necessary.

• A C 2011/10/18 22:33:24
    Yes, but I can't stop it
    A C
    people tell teenagers like me not to masturbate....which is exactly why we do it....
  • robinsonlee87 2011/02/04 15:00:02
    robinsonlee87
    2 each his or her own, but like goin 2 the bathroom, it's truly nobody's business but theirs.
  • Urara Kasuga 2009/05/27 05:09:29
  • Larson Whipsnade 2009/04/20 03:08:07
    Larson Whipsnade
    Masturbation is not a sin. The bible doesn't even mention it. Pre-marital sex is a sin, fornication is a sin, but masturbation is not. what can you catch from it? an STD? hardly> Nor is it very likely you will get yourself pregnant, so where is the damage?
  • Jon Larson ... 2009/04/20 14:23:26
    Jon
    Since you ask, and if you truly desire to hear from the Lord about this subject:

1 Corinthians 6:15Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. 17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
    18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1 C...

'"""""

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 12All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

In what way does masturbation glorify God? Or is all about the gratification of our bodies at that given moment? What about Jesus' words to "deny yourself" and "take up our cross" and follow Me"? Is masturbation denying yourself?
    Now that we know its sin, we must repent and turn to God for the power to overcome the flesh and its corruptions!
  • A C Jon 2011/10/18 22:32:12
    A C
    +2
    bible basher....im catholic, and even i am saying ITS NOT WRONG! my priest says its not wrong, and my grandad was a monsieur in the church, which is above a bishop, and even he says its not wrong! get a grip and stop quoting the bible u COMPLETE MORON!
  • morning40oz~mad as hell 2009/01/15 06:34:06
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    Jon, I recommend you simplify the question by deleting the practice in public part of it. People are either knowingly or unwittingly deviating from answering the intent of your question.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have wondered the same thing. I will have to do some research in the only book that has the answer.
  • Jon morning... 2009/01/15 14:59:42
    Jon
    +1
    I will do as you have recommended. Thanks. And I agree, there is only one place to find the answer - God's Word.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2009/01/15 04:41:16
    No, and I'm offended that you asked.
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    Masturbation is not a sin. The reason people don't do it in public is the same reason people don't have sex in public.
  • Jeff 2009/01/14 23:56:59
    Jeff
    +1
    No, and I'm not offended. Masturbating is natural, and healthy. As for doing it in public, in front of your family and children, there are things called morals, as well as laws against pedophilia, which I'm sure proximity masturbation would be considered sexual abuse.
  • Jon Jeff 2009/01/15 00:22:19 (edited)
    Jon
    Most definitely it would and should be considered breaking the law ("proximity masturbation"). But the point of asking the question wasn't to justify a place for its appropriateness. Rather, it was to deal with the feeling of it being wrong when we were younger - a feeling that came to our minds from our conscience.
  • Jon Jeff 2009/01/15 02:52:49
    Jon
    These same morals that would keep a person from masturbating in public used to convict us of doing it and not suggesting that is "natural" and "healthy". Perhaps those morals didn't stop people of any period of time in world history from masturbating, but most definitely convicted them and caused societies to come to a different conclusion on the matter.
  • realin 2009 2009/01/14 23:31:23
    No, and I'm offended that you asked.
    realin 2009
    +1
    i dont see anything wrong with it and like i tell my kids...there is a time and place for sexual happenings and masturbating in front of family is not it...if a person could do that then i would say they had more problems then masterbation...lol
  • Comrade JBleezz 2009/01/14 23:17:24
    Comrade JBleezz
    +2
    It isn't a sin. and why not do it in front of other people? simple because it is private it is a personal thing. Crapping isn't a sin so why don't we just crap in front of each other. Having sex with your married with your wife isn't a sin so why not do it on a park bench at noon?

These are all just private things that are done in private settings.
  • Jon Comrade... 2009/01/15 01:45:09 (edited)
    Jon
    You're missing the point of the question. What about the feeling of shame that comes along with masturbating? When we were kids and we used the toilet for #2 there was no shame that came along with that action. However, there was when we masturbated. That's the point of the question. What about the voice of our conscience that tells us we have done wrong?
  • Comrade... Jon 2009/01/15 02:19:40
    Comrade JBleezz
    +1
    Funny I never felt shame. I don't think it is part of the conscience. That is purely cultural not universal.
  • Jon Comrade... 2009/01/15 02:21:17
    Jon
    No, I don't think it's funny. I think it's dangerous that you didn't feel any shame. I hope you're being honest with yourself.
  • Comrade... Jon 2009/01/15 02:22:42
    Comrade JBleezz
    +1
    I am and how is that dangerous? It doesn't hurt anyone.
  • Jon Comrade... 2009/01/15 02:26:34
    Jon
    It's dangerous because if it is a sin (in the eyes of God) and we don't think it is, then we are piling up sin upon sin in our lives. It may not hurt others, but in this case, it would definitely be hurting us. I believe that we will all stand before God and be judged according to whether or not we believed in the One who He sent and for every action we took in life.
  • ubiquit... Jon 2009/01/15 02:58:16
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    Kids don't naturally feel shame about masturbating, they have to be taught to feel shame.
  • Jon ubiquit... 2009/01/15 03:01:59
    Jon
    Being taught to feel shame is to not believe in your conscience. That's absurd.
  • ubiquit... Jon 2009/01/15 03:04:56
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    What's absurd is that you think we are born feeling ashamed. Feral children who are taught nothing feel no shame about their sex organs. That is an established fact. You don't care much for facts, do you?
  • Jon ubiquit... 2009/01/15 03:07:10 (edited)
    Jon
    I never said that I thought children were born feeling ashamed. I said that when the act of masturbation was committed there followed a feeling of shame. Now that's the facts of what I said, it doesn't seem that you care much for repeating correctly facts that have been stated plainly.
  • ubiquit... Jon 2009/01/15 03:17:49
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    And I'm saying that unless the child was taught to feel shame, they will not feel shame after they have masturbated.
  • Jon ubiquit... 2009/01/15 03:22:36
    Jon
    You are fundamentally wrong. Shame is not taught. It is the reaction of our conscience convicting us in conjunction with God.
    Good night my friend.
  • ubiquit... Jon 2009/01/15 03:51:24
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    Shame is taught, god is taught... religion itself is a cultural thing which must be learned. The only thing children naturally feel about their sex organs is the desire to play with them.
  • Ace~Mr.... ubiquit... 2009/01/15 04:43:03
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    Yep. When I started masturbating to my physically impossible fetish I didn't feel bad about it one bit. I thought it was completely fine and still do :)
  • ubiquit... Ace~Mr.... 2009/01/15 04:44:35
    ubiquitous_tergiversation
    +1
    I never thought you'd be backing me up, lol. Thanks.
  • Ace~Mr.... ubiquit... 2009/01/16 01:52:38
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +1
    You're welcome :)
  • Silver 2009/01/14 23:12:10 (edited)
    Silver
    +2
    It's completely normal.....and the reason you don't do it in public is that will get you locked away with the comfort of padded walls...it's against the law to do anything like that in public...society just couldn't handle that and would blame you for it...best to keep it quiet and your bedroom door locked.

Sin is a concept of a few of the worlds religions...mainly the religions of the book...get a book on World Religion from the library and read it. Don't get me wrong, there are still the matter of right and wrong but some people have to make it a sin to keep from doing wrong. You know when you do something wrong, no one has to tell you.
    Doing what your body requires is not wrong...doing things to others, such as masterbation in front of those who don't want to see it, is wrong.
  • Cloudburst 2009/01/14 23:06:30
    Cloudburst
    +2
    Not a sin. America and religion has had a strange fascination with regulating sex. St. Thomas Aquinas (a catholic) was guilt ridden (because he was a slut) so he tried to impose rules on everyone. American colonists brought some of that guilt overseas and we're still paying the price for not talking about things that are very natural. Look at europe, they got over it a long time ago.
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +3
    No, masturbation is not a sin.

A little common sense is necessary.
  • Jon I'm Lef... 2009/01/15 00:19:10
    Jon
    +1
    Obviously you wouldn't do such a thing in public, but that wasn't the question. Why does shame come along with the one and not the other is more to the question's point. Why when you're just a child, possessing such a tender conscience, does masturbation feel so good yet wrong? In fact, until some well meaning parent or psychologist tells them that masturbating is not wrong and gives them certain ideas on how to deal with the shame, their conscience continues to bother them about it. (I'm just being transparent and honest about the subject)
  • I'm Lef... Jon 2009/01/15 00:26:34
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +1
    The only reason people feel guilty about masturbation---the safest form of sex there is---is because the church drills it into peoples heads that they SHOULD feel guilty about it. It's just another way the church tries to control people.
  • Jon I'm Lef... 2009/01/15 02:34:12
    Jon
    The fact that not one Christian responded to this question is something. You see, Christians aren't perfect or without sin. They just don't make excuses for their sin and regularly feel a heavy weight because of its presence in their lives. People who do not have this conscience make excuses for sin and write it off saying "it's not wrong because it isn't hurting anyone", not to mention that it feels really good. The Bible says that everyone does what is right in their own eyes. For the Christian, they have begun to live a life that seeks to honor God and not make excuses for sin, leaning not on their own understanding but in all their ways acknowledging God.
  • I'm Lef... Jon 2009/01/15 02:39:14
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +1
    And how many self-proclaimed "Christians" don't masturbate? I'm guessing...umm...zero.

When you consider the fact that more pornography is rented, bought, viewed, and consumed by those in Red State, mainly Conservative counties in the US, well.....I call shenanigans and smell more than just a bit of hypocrisy...
  • Jon I'm Lef... 2009/01/15 02:44:33
    Jon
    And you make my point. Their is a great amount of shame that comes along with this activity. Christians just don't justify it. On the other hand, you not only justify it, but teach others to do as you do and believe as you do.
  • Jon Jon 2009/01/15 02:48:32
    Jon
    Besides, I have heard this one "how many...'Christians' don't masturbate" many times before. In fact the first time I heard was more than 25 years ago. I'm sure it was first mentioned hundreds of years before that.
  • I'm Lef... Jon 2009/01/15 03:24:04 (edited)
    I'm Left, You're Wrong
    +1
    I only deal in truth, honesty, and reality. Christians deal in lies, deflection, spin, and fairy tales. There is no invisible man in the sky that says spilling your seed into a tissue is a sin. That's made up...by mortal men.
  • morning... I'm Lef... 2009/01/15 06:29:01
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    Really? Really? I thought this question was not only a brave one to ask but was done so honestly. Perhaps, it is because you think the world revolves around your views that you have accused the author of this question of dealing in " lies, deflection, spin, and fairy tales."

I think your double-standard is quite telling. While you would seem to ask for tolerance, you show none yourself.

2014/09/19 03:50:36