Is it time to get rid of the "jury of your peers" system?

Tony 2011/07/05 22:22:42
So, since so many people seem to think that justice was miscarried because of the Casey Anthony verdict, is it time to throw away the whole "trial by jury of your peers" system and instead institute a jury by magistrate type of system where guilt or innocence would be found by a panel of judges?

• Wake The Sheeple 2011/07/05 23:17:52
    Wake The Sheeple
    +1
    It has it's flaws in that most Americans are ignorant of their power as a juror, but it is preferable to the alternative which is a farce of a trial or no trial at all.
  • Cogs 2011/07/05 22:39:20 (edited)
    Cogs
    Of course not. Why is her case such a big deal anyways? Oh right, a pretty white lady did a bad thing, let's all freak out about it and turn it into a national crisis, surely there's nothing better we could be worrying about instead.
  • Tony Cogs 2011/07/06 03:59:18
    Tony
    it happened "in my backyard" as they say.
  • kevracer 2011/07/05 22:36:51 (edited)
    kevracer
    In the United States every person accused of a crime punishable by incarceration for more than six months has a constitutional right to a trial by jury, which arises from Article Three of the United States Constitution.

Now you want to amend the Constitution because you don't like this verdict?
  • Tony kevracer 2011/07/06 03:59:04
    Tony
    not because of this verdict and not me. I know many people here who think justice was not served in this case. I think it worked out the way it was supposed to. The prosecution's case was weak as hell.

2014/10/02 06:32:05