Is it possible to have a reasonable political discussion on Sodahead?

T J 2012/05/02 12:14:36
I know I've had my fair share of battles on this website, sometimes it's gotten personal. But sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it. Sometimes you have a disagreement but then you find that common ground and it makes the discussion rewarding. Unfortunately, other times it usually ends in someone being blocked or just on bad terms. And let's be honest, just about every discussion includes the author's opinion, and facts that only support the author's opinion. In the end, though does it really matter. I have burned a few bridges here, and have blocked and have been blocked multiple times, so it may seem odd that I ask this question, but I want to know. Is it possible to have a reasonable political discussion on Sodahead?

• Jimbo 2012/05/02 22:26:15
    I think...
    Jimbo
    +8
    RWNJs dominate this site, so it is very rare to have a decent debate with people backing failure which is the GOP platform. There are a few conservatives on this site I have great respect for having said this GOP is not the GOP of Goldwater and Buckley.

• perks-a... Ferηαηd... 2012/05/03 11:23:03
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    Ok, tell me how I can compromise with people that support a communist like dumbo? I really want to know. If you can explain to me how dumbo and the communist left has anything to offer me, I would love to know!!
  • thepastord 2012/05/02 13:17:24
    I think...
    thepastord
    +2
    It is possible, but folks have to remember that "Perception" has a lot to do with it. Bottom line, different things are important to different people. I am pretty conservative, but I don't always agree with what the Republican leadership thinks is so "Swifty Ola", as I call it........ Support what you value, take the time to hear another perspective. No one ever said you have to agree or participate. :+)
  • concerned dude 2012/05/02 13:15:45
    concerned dude
    +2
    yes although some people resort to immediate name calling and rarely consider alternative view points. Intellect and rational behavior often get tossed aside on SH.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/05/02 13:11:13
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +4
    Yes, of course you have those that just want to argue but there are plenty of people that have great debate and discussion without being mean.
  • bob 2012/05/02 13:11:09
    bob
    +1
    Some do, some don't,
  • ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ 2012/05/02 13:08:58
    ϟM̈ öp̈vytöϟ
    +2
    I do most of the time, but then sometimes a jerk comes along.
  • Met 2012/05/02 13:04:43 (edited)
    I think...
    Met
    +3
    I think the vast majority of people here don't want reason. they want to win. as if that's a possibility in an informal debate. Or as if they understand the first rule of formal debate.

some of us are here to share ideas, even if we're cemented in our own. But the vast majority just want to insult people who disagree with them.

The sad thing is those people's vote count just as much.
  • Melizmatic Met 2012/05/02 16:46:31
    Melizmatic
    +1
    >>>"They want to win"<<<

Bingo.
  • T J 2012/05/02 12:51:29
    T J
    +3
    I know it's possible because I've seen it. But it's rare.
  • MichaelJ 2012/05/02 12:32:02
    I think...
    MichaelJ
    +2
    It's unusual to be able to have a rational, respectful debate of the issues on Sodahead.
    This is due to the fact that most people who use Sodahead are the most dedicated from each side. Thats why so many of the postings on here are rediculous exagerations of the facts.
  • Mr. T 2012/05/02 12:25:51
    I think...
    Mr. T
    +4
    For the most part, things here on this site seem to be pretty much "black & white". No one is going to change anyone's mind so say your piece and be done with it unless you like arguing with a brick wall.
  • Franklin Mr. T 2012/05/02 13:46:06
    Franklin
    +1
    - it was common 4 years ago , but is lost as we are flooded with shallow bumpersticker ranters who are never able to process facts that might effect their narrow view ...for that minority here if its not a headline on Media Matters then its "a lie" and they must attack it with everything they have -

2014/07/30 01:02:35