Is it possible to have a civil debate in the News and Politics section of SodaHead

robbt1 2012/04/04 00:47:25
I've had several similar experiences and think most polls are like that.
I've had similar experiences, but not all the time!
I've never had that happen to me.
I have been on the site for a relatively short amount of time, but in my experience in the section in question, I have neither participated in nor seen any poll that didn't debate into insults, name-calling, accusations, and generally hateful commentary among the people involved. For example, in several exchanges, although I've spoken in correct English, I've been called an uneducated thug almost every time I voice an opinion the majority of the patrons agree with.

My question is this then: Is it best to simply avoid commenting in political topics where your views are not in the majority?

• Alexis 2012/04/12 20:07:23
    Alexis
    Sometimes I try to get my voice across because I have such a strong opinion, and on occasion no one will try to doubt the way I think, and then others they try to change your opinion, make you feel less because of your age, race, gender, Ect. It's unfair. But I typically stay away from those topics, it's not worth all the babies trying to fuss over not agreeing in "their" opinion.
  • phil white 2012/04/10 15:42:32
    phil white
    As a pro-white dissident I had one poster close down their whole thread after I posted.
  • robbt1 phil white 2012/04/10 20:42:20
    robbt1
    It's happened to me too.
  • phil white robbt1 2012/04/11 02:29:50
    phil white
    Any way, I figured I shot down the gals whole thread. Naughty me. :-)
  • Max 2012/04/04 01:21:58 (edited)
    Max
    This is an open forum and meant to be a place where you can express an opinion. If your opinion doesn't match with someone's opinion, there SHOULD be a civil reply. If someone happens to disagree with you and is uncivil about it, you have choices.

After a while, you'll realize who's who and either debate them or not. If someone resorts to name-calling, they must feel it's their only option.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/04 01:16:25
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    I think it's possible. What do you want to debate?

Answer to your question below, no, don't stop commenting.
  • Kevin Verdone 2012/04/04 00:57:59
    Kevin Verdone
    +1
    Well if you never voice an opposing opinion than the majority will just go on with their group-think tendencies.
    For politics on Sodahead, if you disagree with someone's opinion it's simply because you're "ignorant." The last defense of a mind that's not yet ready to think critically.
  • The Sane One 2012/04/04 00:53:06
    The Sane One
    It is possible to have informed discourse on political issues... but the problem is that the people least willing to discuss stuff intelligently are also the ones who shout the loudest and the have the most shrill arguments.
  • BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET) 2012/04/04 00:50:16
    BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET)
    Personally I think its best to avoid commenting in political topics all together

2014/10/22 22:48:22