Is It OK for a Child to Have More Than Two Parents?

Fef 2012/07/03 21:00:00
California Democrats want to increase the number of parents a child can have. SB 1476 would allow a child to have more than two parents at the same time in order to accommodate same-sex parents, surrogates, assisted reproduction, and other non-traditional parental relationships.

SacBee.com reports: Mom and Dad, same-sex couples or blended families, California law is clear: No more than two legal parents per child. State Sen. Mark Leno is pushing legislation to allow a child to have multiple parents.

"The bill brings California into the 21st century, recognizing that there are more than Ozzie and Harriet families today," Leno said. But some disagree. "It comes as no surprise that he would try to say that a child has more than two parents – that's absurd," said Benjamin Lopez, a legislative analyst for Traditional Values Coalition, a Bible-based civil rights group.

SacBee points out potential problems and complexities caused by SB 1476:
Tax deductions, citizenship, probate, public assistance, school notifications and Social Security rights all can be affected by determinations of parenthood, notes the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists.

Examples of three-parent relationships that could be affected by SB 1476 include: 1) A family in which a man began dating a woman while she was pregnant, then raised that child with her for seven years. The youth also had a parental relationship with the biological father. 2) A same-sex couple who asked a close male friend to help them conceive, then decided that all three would raise the child. 3) A divorce in which a woman and her second husband were the legal parents of a child, but the biological father maintained close ties as well. How do you feel about the proposed bill?

Read More: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/02/4604048/californi...

• Michael S. Yuki ~ ... 2012/07/03 19:41:17 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +2
    I can't argue with you there. I don't know the specifics of the bill, so I don't know if I'd vote in favor of it or not, but the overly emotional reactionary comments about cultural decline and whatnot are pretty bizarre.

The specifics really are important though. To flip the situation above (granting parental rights to my hypothetical children's stepmother): That's one thing, but I would totally freak out if my hypothetical crazy ex-wife granted full parental rights to my hypothetical children's shady stepfather without my personal consent.
  • Yuki ~ ... Michael S. 2012/07/03 20:02:59
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +3
    It's the over-reaction in the comments that's making me raise an eyebrow. You'd think this was the apocalypse.

I think that it should be the case that both parents must agree to include a third, or the parent who wants to add the step-parent can ask for a judge to sign off on the inclusion (which would mean the refusing parent has to explain why they don't want the inclusion, and the parent who wants to include the step-parent must be able to show that he would make a good and responsible legal guardian. In short, they both get put up for scrutiny.) And, if the kid in question is old enough to understand what this would mean, they should have a say in it.

So yes, it will mean more legalities, but I think in the long run, this will be helpful. There has to be failsafes for both parents-- because the point of this is to look out in the kid's best interest.
  • Michael S. Yuki ~ ... 2012/07/03 20:36:13
    Michael S.
    +2
    I'd be hesitant to making a judge an equal participant in decisions like this, since a lot of judges have a tendency to be biased in favor of one parent or the other...but those are specifics.

On the balance, I'd say we're in agreement that the wisdom of this idea depends on the failsafes, and assuming those, it would be an improvement over the current situation...aside from the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the culture warriors. ;)
  • lm1b2 2012/07/03 16:42:07
  • ray 2012/07/03 15:52:53
    ray
    +8
    This will cause a legal nightmare beyond description
    consider this story :

Denied divorce, some same-sex couples 'wed-locked'
    By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
    They had taken a vacation from their home in Washington D.C. to a San Francisco courthouse in 2008 to get married, since California had recently begun to allow same-sex marriages.
    But if a marriage should fall apart in a state that doesn't recognize the couple's legal status in the first place, that's when things get complicated.
    Some states that do not allow same-sex marriages to be performed also do not grant divorces for same-sex marriages that occurred outside of the state's borders.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07...

Now imagine the possibilities of three parents over years with multiple partners and a bevy of children involved and the inheritance rights , child support , desire to cease being a parent of a child to a couple when the Trio separates into three directions.
    Now scatter them across the country with every states laws and it will be a circus.
  • Stryder 2012/07/03 15:41:45
    Stryder
    +30
    California has become a full-blown freakshow.
  • Kim(: Stryder 2012/07/04 14:59:03
    Kim(:
    +7
    I agree so much
  • conservyT Stryder 2012/07/04 16:41:15
    conservyT
    +5
    DITTO!
  • Sherloc... Stryder 2012/07/05 14:19:41
  • shaltov72 Sherloc... 2012/07/05 22:51:12
    shaltov72
    +1
    Is this a clue that californication has lost its brain functions?
  • Sherloc... shaltov72 2012/07/16 22:34:52
  • Lauren Sherloc... 2012/07/28 19:46:46 (edited)
    Lauren
    +1
    omigod that is frightening!
  • ashlyn Stryder 2012/07/05 14:42:47
    ashlyn
    +2
    And you are an ignorant ass. Read a book.
  • Stryder ashlyn 2012/07/05 18:38:24
    Stryder
    +1
    I've read many. Probably more than you. See above. I stand by my comment.
  • XQNP Stryder 2012/07/05 22:56:00
    XQNP
    +1
    Because everyone with a lifestyle you don't approve of is a freak.
  • Stryder XQNP 2012/07/05 22:58:10
    Stryder
    +1
    Nope. That's not it at all. I really could care less how people live their lives. However, I do care about the well-being of kids. And a kid brought up with four moms or four dads is gonna have issues growing up.
  • darazan Stryder 2012/07/06 01:21:01
    darazan
    +1
    Kids are brought up by more than two people all the time (and even just one on occassion) and turn out just fine. It's seriously not a big deal. This is just talking about changing the law itself so that a child can have more than 2 legal parents. I don't know why such a law existed in the first place dictating such, but it is what it is.
  • XQNP Stryder 2012/07/06 19:29:19
    XQNP
    +1
    Prove it. Cite a study.
  • Stryder XQNP 2012/07/06 21:42:59 (edited)
    Stryder
    +2
    I did some research and virtually every study I read cited no noticeable differences. Since I try to be a stand-up guy and admit when I'm wrong I'll admit I was wrong on this one. The one trend I did notice was that kids of gay parents have a greater tendency to be gay when they grow up. They also endure considerably more harrassment from other kids. So, bottom line is, you're right, I was wrong. I'll give you this one. :)
  • Michael S. Stryder 2012/07/18 21:52:44
    Michael S.
    +1
    Old post, but raved for being a class act. :)
  • Stryder Michael S. 2012/07/18 23:21:17
    Stryder
    Thanks. I still am not a proponent of gay marriage, but maybe now I'm just a little less opposed to it. :)
  • darazan Stryder 2012/07/06 01:25:38
    darazan
    +1
    I disagree. California isn't really a freakshow. In fact, I wonder if you've ever actually been here to say for yourself, or if you just base your opinion on what you read on the Internet. I've lived here my whole life and it's just fine. Sure there are some strange things that happen, but it's nothing that doesn't happen elsewhere. That doesn't mean it's "a full-blown freakshow."
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/07/03 15:33:59 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +6
    YAHN!!! Do you people ever actually READ the laws you complain about?

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub...
  • Fef FAWKES'... 2012/07/04 04:25:37
    Fef
    +2
    California Democrats have to pass bills "before we can find out what's in them" -- Nancy Pelosi:
  • FAWKES'... Fef 2012/07/04 05:15:23
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    "So that YOU can find out what is in it."

The text ACA has been available online for everyone's review since the day the first draft was introduced. Didn't you bother to read it?
  • Character FAWKES'... 2012/07/05 15:12:52 (edited)
    Character
    +2
    I did and it's stupid. It is solely to allow gay people to more easily become legal parents. Oh and I'm an attorney too so I know what I assert is true.
  • FAWKES'... Character 2012/07/05 16:25:56 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    Sure you are. Attorneys don't use 6th grade grammar like "Oh and I'm an attorney too"

Sounds to me like you're just another SH sockpuppet bigot. There's not one sentence in the law regarding 'same sex' or 'gay.' Read it again and this time find a 12 year old to help you with the big words.

pennywise gif
  • shaltov72 FAWKES'... 2012/07/05 22:52:56
    shaltov72
    +1
    BOXED THINKING! Get a clue!
  • FAWKES'... shaltov72 2012/07/05 23:53:23
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    Your thinking: LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR SOME

BIGOT.
  • Sherloc... shaltov72 2012/07/16 22:44:33
  • shaltov72 FAWKES'... 2012/07/05 22:53:20
    shaltov72
    +1
    Thats because the progressive commies have been trying to eliminate GOD, then values, morals are crossed out and man's faulty satanic reasoning is based on shallow thinking.
    If you go back to the 50's and 60's and look into were these womens's libs and the bra rippers you will find that their backgrounds of communisum, marxisim, socialists, their goal is to destroy GOD's structure of marriage, destroy the family (man/woman maybe children) in any society the basis for society is the true family. The goal is the communist manifesto, (2+2=4)
    incrementalism to make a society to fall!
  • FAWKES'... shaltov72 2012/07/05 23:55:15
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    If you want a government guided by religion move to Iran where you can follow Sharia Law.
  • Character FAWKES'... 2012/07/06 15:19:44
    Character
    +1
    Clearly you do not know how to read a statute. Oh and by the way, it is not a law - it is a bill. Go back to school.
  • ChristianOnly 2012/07/03 15:33:06
    ChristianOnly
    +5
    As much as I loathe being thought of as a liberal there are certain circumstances in which this could be the best possible solution. I reservedly approve.
  • Character Christi... 2012/07/05 15:16:50
    Character
    Of course, when one or both of a child's parents become gay (clearly they weren't gay when they conceived unless it was unnatural conception) and divorced the other parent.
  • shaltov72 Christi... 2012/07/05 22:54:47
    shaltov72
    Reservedly approve of a societies down fall!
  • Bronar 2012/07/03 15:29:19
    Bronar
    +2
    It seems a little stupid, is one allowed to be an animal, inanimate objects too? That said I am a social Libertarian. They have the right to be weird and enjoy life as much as anyone else.
  • Herb Bronar 2012/07/03 21:59:53
    Herb
    +3
    thats why they are called parents, mom and dad they procreate look at all definitions from many diffrent dictionaries.
    not many parents one set of parents taht brought them into the world you can have step parenst but only one set of parents.
    par·ent/ˈpe(ə)rənt/

Noun
    A father or mother.

Verb
    Be or act as a mother or father to (someone).
    Father - origin - mother

Wikipedia- Dictionary.com- Answers.com- Merriam-Webster
    One who begets, gives birth to, or nurtures and raises a child; a father or mother. 2. An ancestor; a progenitor. 3. An organism that produces or generates ...

par·ent
       [pair-uhnt, par-] Show IPA

noun
    1.
    a father or a mother.

2.
    an ancestor, precursor, or progenitor.

3.
    a source, origin, or cause.

4.
    a protector or guardian.

5.
    Biology . any organism that produces or generates another

Random House Webster's College Dictionary
    1.
    parent(n.)ˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a father or a mother.

2.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a source, origin, or cause.

3.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

any organism that produces another.

4.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a precursor; progenitor.

5.
    parent(adj.)ˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

being the original source.

6.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

pertaining to an organism, cell, or structure that produces another.

7.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

of or designating a corporation or other enterprise that owns controlling inter...

<<
    par·ent/ˈpe(ə)rənt/

Noun
    A father or mother.

Verb
    Father - origin - mother

par·ent
       [pair-uhnt, par-] Show IPA

noun
    1.
    a father or a mother.

2.
    an ancestor, precursor, or progenitor.

3.
    a source, origin, or cause.

4.
    a protector or guardian.

5.

1.
    parent(n.)ˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a father or a mother.

2.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a source, origin, or cause.

3.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

any organism that produces another.

4.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

a precursor; progenitor.

5.
    parent(adj.)ˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

being the original source.

6.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

7.
    parentˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

of or designating a corporation or other enterprise that owns controlling interests in one or more subsidiaries.

8.
    parent(v.t.)ˈpɛər ənt, ˈpær-

to be or act as parent of.

Etymology: (1375–1425; late ME (< MF) < L parent-, s. of parēns, n. use of prp. of parere to bring
  • Bronar Herb 2012/07/04 06:08:23
    Bronar
    +1
    Books written by dead people about how we are supposed to live don't excite me, sorry.
  • AM Bronar 2012/07/04 12:23:54

2014/10/24 07:05:20