Is human evolution over?

Daryl 2008/10/07 05:47:58
Leading geneticist Steve Jones says human evolution is over

"Human evolution is grinding to a halt because of a shortage of older fathers in the West, according to a leading genetics expert.

Fathers over the age of 35 are more likely to pass on mutations, according to Professor Steve Jones, of University College London.

Speaking today at a UCL lecture entitled “Human evolution is over” Professor Jones will argue that there were three components to evolution – natural selection, mutation and random change. “Quite unexpectedly, we have dropped the human mutation rate because of a change in reproductive patterns,” Professor Jones told The Times.

“Human social change often changes our genetic future,” he said, citing marriage patterns and contraception as examples. Although chemicals and radioactive pollution could alter genetics, one of the most important mutation triggers is advanced age in men."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article48946...

• Discord 2008/10/18 18:29:10 (edited)
    Discord
    +1
    It's not over, my mother passed on a mutation to my brother and I, that I believe she got from her mother. We don't have the last few bones in our spine, the tailbone; instead, we have a dimple or tiny dip.

There probably are mutations still going on but I doubt all of them are very well tracked, unless they're something negative and major (see Downs).
  • Old School Trucker 2008/10/18 15:47:53
    Old School Trucker
    There needs to be a third answer option: It never was, so it never began or ended.
    A couple quick points:
    1) Out of the millions of fossils found and examined, the number of fossils of "transitional forms" of any creature anywhere is ...ZERO !
    2) For evolution to take place- by your standards- a mutation must occur. We can see modern examples of mutations in humans, and they are never considered an improvement. The most familiar is Downs Syndrome.
    3) Charles Darwin himself said, " To think that the human eye, with all of it's irreducible complexities, came about by natural selection (evolution) is sheer folly !
    4) There are lots more, but I digress. The only thing evolutionists have right is they have properly named the Missing Link. It is and will always be missing.
  • MS 2008/10/18 11:42:40
    MS
    +1
    It's speeding up, but as this election suggests, MANY are being left behind.
  • Candystripe 2008/10/17 08:03:58
    Candystripe
    No. In fact it is picking up speed. We are actually excellerating it with our technology. Some have already morphed into laptoposorus and ipododons.
  • mavericky 2008/10/13 23:32:31
    mavericky
    Evolution of any species can't end unless the species dies out completely.
  • S.Sif:* 2008/10/13 22:42:32
    S.Sif:*
  • Seth (crazy Iowan) *Burgundy* 2008/10/13 22:29:31
    Seth (crazy Iowan) *Burgundy*
    +1
    Well, we'll just have to wait a thousand years and compare 2008 to 3008
  • Torchy 2008/10/13 21:27:58
    Torchy
    +1
    I sure as hell hope not. Evolve or die...

hope evolve die
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2008/10/13 03:41:41
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    Evolution is a constant process.
  • RON PAUL 2008/10/12 13:37:12
    RON PAUL
    Its called adaptation we never evolved and the proof is not in the pudding. We will continue to adapt to our environment, but have never evolved from it. Its a hoax at best!
  • Trooping_the_Colour 2008/10/11 15:00:20
    Trooping_the_Colour
    It must be true... it's in the Times.
    true times
  • alw_ays 2008/10/11 07:13:32
    alw_ays
    I just read one of the TOS for a website I'm editing--a medical cancer research company--and part of the terms is that they can report information from your genetic information if it stands as a threat to humanity: ie: mutations that may be dangerous.
  • jennifer1969 2008/10/10 22:02:08
    jennifer1969
    +1
    I think we are all going to get hunched backs, bigger eyes and more dextrous from spending so much time on computers and texting on tiny phones.
  • ăđăм™ *sex cake* 2008/10/10 12:57:29
    ăđăм™ *sex cake*
    Human evolution has not stopped, we have become too smart for our own good! Take for example the Hadron collider, we may not know what is happening now, yet in 15 years time, the answers will become clear. We know more about the moon and Mars than we do about the great depths of our oceans, yet we still question our own minds. I believe there will be another renaissance of human thinking, in regards to how we treat ourselves, Earth, and technology in general. A De-evolution if you will, using new found knowledge to get back to basics.
  • Nikki___x 2008/10/10 10:18:49
    Nikki___x
    I don't believe so. I think that as the climate stars to chang because of Global Warming, we will start to adapt to our environment.
  • troy82 - Christ is returnin... 2008/10/10 02:10:06
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    it never started, those are not components of "evolution", - they have simply changed the definition of evolution to match their science - its called circular reasoning, and people are buying it....
  • rustex78 2008/10/09 01:47:28
  • steve 2008/10/08 19:08:16
    steve
    Did it ever really start? we are the dumbest of all the species as we are killing ourselves and the planet and don't even notice
  • luis 2008/10/08 16:26:39
    luis
    it appears as though we a de evolving.
  • Howard Beale II 2008/10/08 05:07:28
    Howard Beale II
    +1
    Just read Aldous Huxley's book, "Brave New World Order" and that explains the whole thing.
  • Teddie 2008/10/08 04:15:23 (edited)
    Teddie
    +1
    That's the goofiest thing I ever heard. Evolution never ends. Most mutations are harmful - by far. What guides evolution is this very mysterious thing - call it supra-intelligence, or God, or, if you like chance. An example is an experiment in which a certain bacteria was grown in a petri dish containing nutriet A, but would not grow on nutrient B. Put some of the bacteria in nutrient B, and most of it dies, but a very small amount, perhaps only a few organisms, do somehow begin to digest nutrient B. After a while, there is a new, mutated form of the bacteria consuming that looks like the original bacteria, but can consume both nutrients. Human beings have evolved in this way too - for instance, Japanese are on average much better at extracting calcium from plants, as they did not traditionally have much milk in their diet. Northern Europeans and some Africans need to get a lot of calcium in their diet, because cows were a part of their culture, and their bodies lost efficiency at extracting calcium from plants. There are a lot of examples like this, which is why diet is such at individualized thing.

My current theory is that we can be directed from within ourselves, by conscious thought, choice, and biological programming, but that we also have the capacity to be "inspired"...'

My current theory is that we can be directed from within ourselves, by conscious thought, choice, and biological programming, but that we also have the capacity to be "inspired" or to physically adapt when extreme pressure from the outside environment is present. Not everyone adapts. Conditions permitting, enough do. I like Gerhard de Chardin's concept of an oonasphere, although it has been many years since I read him.
  • Howard ... Teddie 2008/10/08 05:13:03
    Howard Beale II
    Interesting points. But the question was about HUMAN evolution, so in my estimation, it is over. Life will go on, but there will not be a human race as we know it for very much longer. The human race will have evoved into Morlocks and Eloi, and probably a few other species, but the human race itself, as we know it, will no longer exist.
  • Céline... 2008/10/08 04:15:15 (edited)
    Céline...
    Wait I don't get it... Indiana Jones or Dr. Jones had a kid when he was about 40 somethin' and in the crystal skull he could somehow communicate with monkeys? His own father denies his son's random change monkeyness and says that evolution is over? What about the turtle thingy mutant ninjas? don't THEY count just because they're turtles? The turtles have clearly evolved as they can speak to humans or have we evolved because we understand them? Mickey Mouse is an evolved mouse, he can stand up and wear those freaky shorts.. He can also do his crazy dance.... Does this mean that he has evolved? Aren't there cavemen still existing? Haven't you seen the GEICKO commercials? If they are still cavemen there is clearly some evolving to do...The beatles are the revolution... does this mean that evolution is going to happen again? Evolution has stopped or has it just begun?

My head hurts.... lol....

P.S: I was kidding and suffering from severe boredom do not by any means assume that I am a demented freak or moron who's head is full of confetti and air...
  • Flea 2008/10/08 03:51:35
    Flea
    Hard to answer. If you are talking the physical part, possibly. The spiritual and mental? No, far from it.
  • Formulablinta 2008/10/08 03:48:11
    Formulablinta
    NO!!, not untill ALGORE is CARBON!!
  • SKRAMER 2008/10/08 03:29:19
    SKRAMER
    If we don't drive our species to extinction, which is possible the way we are going, there will one day be a new species of humans who's brain functions are on a level far above ours.
  • Seth 2008/10/08 03:08:37
    Seth
    not sure.
    my bio teacher says the humans will lose the thumbs.

i wish there was a idk selection.
  • mavericky Seth 2008/10/13 23:36:04
    mavericky
    What was his or her justification for that? Our thumbs are one of the largest contributors to our success as a species. Besides - how will we hit the space bar???
  • Tomboygirl12398 2008/10/08 02:42:03
  • Unfulfilled 2008/10/08 02:27:24
    Unfulfilled
    +1
    Humans have stepped into non-genetic evolution. This means that our genes are becoming less and less important for survival. We are part of a cultural, technological, social, and otherwise non-genetic evolution. There are still random mutations and evolutionary pressures, they just occur in less of a generic way.
  • Doc Bohica 2008/10/08 02:21:06
    Doc Bohica
    As a Biologist, show me the proof of human evolution. I have studied Darwin. Darwinism can't explain everything. The fossil record has huge gaps. Huge leaps in evolution are evident in science. That said, my hypothesis is in evolution, but with guidance or direction. I can't prove it so can anyone disprove my hypothesis?
  • Teddie Doc Bohica 2008/10/08 04:23:27
    Teddie
    +5
    Well, there's that moth in Britain, and the isle of Madagascar, among many examples of adaptation. The continents have clearly evolved from Pangea, and we have many examples of species evolving. It's just that our lives are so short in comparison to geologic time. We are like Thomas, if we can't see it, we don't believe. But if you look at the development of life on a microscopic level, it is clear we are all related and developed from a basic schema. There is no reason to think the process would ever stop, while life continues. Now, that could stop! (Ontology recapitulates physiology, anyone?)
  • Change Happens 2008/10/08 01:42:15
    Change Happens
    You have to wonder, when this comes up, if T-Rex...the King of the Kings of all when he lived, didn't believe the same thing.
  • 1tenthAngel 2008/10/08 00:59:48
    1tenthAngel
    I'm still waiting for the apes..
  • Alex 2008/10/08 00:53:57
    Alex
    Naw were gunna have gills soon... i just know it
  • Teddie Alex 2008/10/08 04:26:20
    Teddie
    Not improbable. One evolutionist theorized that human kind evolved to this present state largely during a time when warm seas covered the earth, which is why we are hairless, our eyes tear, and there is a dearth of remains from that era. The only other mammals with those characteristics are sea mammals. I just like that idea because I love water, always wanted gills, and think it is interesting that people gravitate to water in all times and places.
  • Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~ 2008/10/08 00:38:06
    Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~
    +4
    It never stops.
  • Evan 2008/10/08 00:37:41
    Evan
    +2
    I think we will be evolving till the day the planet blows up. Either by natural forces, or human stupidity
  • BillHill "In God We Trust" 2008/10/08 00:32:51
    BillHill  "In God We Trust"
    If you are talking about evolution with the species then i would say that we may have reached our limits. If you are believing that we have come from the apes and will evolve into some super human one day then I would say "never happened". As it is man is actually going in reverse, we aren't as intelligent as we were and if it weren't for drugs and other bandaids that we put into ourselves we wouldn't be living longer either.
  • EllЕ BillHil... 2008/10/08 15:11:15 (edited)
    EllЕ
    Only a few hundred years ago most people believed that science is evil/witchcraft, angels/god live in the sky. ))) In the past people believed in dogma/fairy tales and freethinkers/intelligent people were like freaks. People were more stupid, less intelligent in the past. )))

Now is the time of the computers/instant information/internet that will make brains evolve. Human conciseness is evolving and evolution can't stop, because species always adopting to the new environment, new lifestyle, etc.

More likely it will get to the point that by using new technologies, nanotechnology, etc. we will control own evolution. Maybe even with DNA computers/Quantum computers, we will start change quicker by controlling own evolution, because these computers can help with genetics, etc. research. You can't see what does nature, because nature takes few hundred thousand years to change some part of the body, scientist can manipulate DNA, etc. and change anything in one generation. )))) For example make humans live 200+ years. ))))

body scientist manipulate dna change generation humans live 200 years

2014/08/21 10:22:13