Is gun range therapy a bad idea?

L.A. Times 2013/02/05 02:00:00
The Iraq veteran accused of killing a Navy SEAL sniper and another man at a Texas gun range had been treated for mental illness and confessed about the slayings to his sister, police said Monday.

Chris Kyle, 38, a former Navy SEAL and author of "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History," and a friend, Chad Littlefield, 35, were found dead with multiple gunshot wounds at a secluded gun range at the Rough Creek Lodge southwest of Fort Worth.

There were multiple semiautomatic rifles, handguns and revolvers at the range, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by WFAA-TV. The man suspected of killing Kyle and Littlefield, 25-year-old Marine veteran Eddie Ray Routh, was gone, along with the semiautomatic handgun he'd likely used in the slayings, police said.

But he didn't get far. His sister, Laura Blevins, called the Midlothian Police Department to report that Routh had come by her and her husband's home and confessed to killing Kyle and Littlefield, according to the affidavit.

shooting range

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na...

• Gordon Freeman 2013/06/21 16:49:53
  • hajkorten 2013/02/24 15:12:19
  • Danielle 2013/02/18 20:33:51
    No, needs more controls
    Danielle
    +1
    I don't think this would be helpful (in most cases) for people suffering from PTSD, since it would likely only cause trauma.

However, not ALL people who go into combat suffer from PTSD, some of them just miss the military commradore, miss shooting (like poster Mark Pillow said, it requires concentration and can relax your mind), or don't know how to adjust back to civilian life. It obviously is theraputic for some people (although, unfortunately, not for the man who did the shooting) if other military personnel are using it too and not shooting people (the Navy SEAL sniper was using it).

Who are we to say what's theraputic, especially for those who have had experiences most of us cannot comprehend? There are not even close to enough services available to the men and women who need it, why should we try and take this one away too?

Better screening is required, maybe better a better set-up where the guests can interact more (if they want to) and maybe having a military therapist/personnel on hand (if they want to use that service). With better screening this *might* not have happened.

My thoughts go to Chris and Chad's families and friends. Also, I applaud the shooter's sister for calling the police.
  • codie.paul 2013/02/18 18:21:37 (edited)
    codie.paul
    +1
    Someone would really ask this question? Wow. Well obviously this is a bad idea. And there is proof right down there. Need there more to be said? I mean it pretty much spells it out in the title. Gun Range therapy. Really? Who would think of that? Seriously. Itd be like taking alcoholics to a bar. Or taking sex addicts to a whorehouse, or a porn set. Come on people They do not mix. Haha good top opinion. I guess that pretty much says it all. Haha. And obviously if you read the article, Chris Kyle and his friend were shot and killed. it was neither of their doing. Seriously. Come on people.
  • Jade Walker 2013/02/15 18:47:49
    No, needs more controls
    Jade Walker
    They should do medical checks before letting anyone in to fire a gun at a range, or to even own a gun...
  • hajkorten Jade Wa... 2013/02/24 15:20:02
  • Jade Wa... hajkorten 2013/05/07 22:02:43
    Jade Walker
    I'm not saying that owning a fun is bad, you can protect yourself. But some people are neither medically nor clinically right in the head to own a lethal weapon.
  • hajkorten Jade Wa... 2013/05/08 09:16:12 (edited)
  • Jade Wa... hajkorten 2013/05/13 22:21:56
    Jade Walker
    Put it this way, there are less fun crimes in Britain because they can't own one unless they re on the police force or FBI.
  • Ado Christian 2013/02/12 05:47:52
    No, needs more controls
    Ado Christian
    Whatever relaxes you works.
  • Ramón 2013/02/10 18:07:08
    No, needs more controls
    Ramón
    More controls, like giving deranged PTSD suffers rubber bullets in nerf guns. This was only bad news for the misguided Navy seal. Crazy evil people will always kill. In Canada a deranged man used a knife on a bus. Guns aren't evil, they're tools. Improperly used they cause harm, destruction, or death. But according to the FBI hammers do too.
  • nicesteve 2013/02/10 03:24:05
    nicesteve
    When a crazed vet blows away another vet who wore the same uniform and
    fought for the same country, same principles, and same beliefs, then that
    makes a pretty dangerous, or even lethal recipe, as this case illustrates here.
    Gun range therapy doesn't sound like a very sound idea to me.
  • OzSurfer 2013/02/10 03:23:26
    No, needs more controls
    OzSurfer
    Meant to answer yes as the concept of guns combined with someone who needs therapy concerns me even if it does help some.
  • Jasmine 2013/02/10 03:11:22
    Jasmine
    +1
    I would think that's the last place that should be considered for therapy. Certainly was in this case.
  • Thomas 2013/02/09 21:36:27
    No, needs more controls
    Thomas
    +1
    sigh ment to click yes >:( y cant they add some type of option taking back wat they clicked jeez
  • OzSurfer Thomas 2013/02/10 03:24:48 (edited)
    OzSurfer
    I've wished the site had that feature for years, has got me flamed once or twice for making the wrong choice, I once answered yes to is it ok to be a nazi, spent all day trying to talk my way out of it :\
  • Dave 007 2013/02/09 16:12:56
    No, needs more controls
    Dave 007
    Another, what's the point of this?
  • Jesferkicks 2013/02/09 10:35:31
    Jesferkicks
    Give a lunatic a loaded weapon? Doesn't sound overly smart to me.
  • Mark Pi... Jesferk... 2013/02/09 14:03:21
    Mark Pillow
    IT IS COUNTER-INTUITIVE. And in this case went wrong. The top method of disarming the PTSD SYNDROME CONSISTS OF RETURNING TO THE BATTLEFIELD. Not always possible. But if you return to a scene that is representative of the horror you suffered (In Peace Time) and then experience the place in its current state, walking down its streets and having coffee at a shop etc. and get used to the foreign voices and sights and smells again, without a shot being fired at you, your mind can reset, and the PTSD Triggers are reset.

S word about what Chris was doing - experimental though it was, he was doing more than the VA CAN OR WILL FOR RETURNING SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN. The lack of professional services for these guys is shocking considering what we know about the rates of PTSD among the 5% of service members that make up the majority of the combat teams that do the fighting. Most service members jobs consist of supporting the men and women on the point of the spear.
  • Jesferk... Mark Pi... 2013/02/10 17:16:22
    Jesferkicks
    While I generally agree with your thoughts I don't consider a live firing range similar to walking down peaceful streets that were once combat zones. So if that was what you were saying I'll have to hedge.

As to PTSD I'm of two minds. One, I agree maybe more could be done for the guys who really suffer from it. Two, I think it is sorely abused and allowed to be abused by a government afraid to be called even more callous than it already is. I know people who receive, maybe not great treatment, but plenty of taxpayer's money for cases of PTSD I personally know to be bogus.

Lastly, I agree the majority of the military machine is support for the true warfighters. I don't know the percentages but I believe the REMF's outnumber the front line troops pretty heavily and they must. It takes an amazing amount of effort to keep an army moving and fighting.
  • Mark Pillow 2013/02/09 06:44:43
    No, needs more controls
    Mark Pillow
    +1
    I can't explain why it works for me, but a day of shooting competition, especially pistol silhouette, and or Pin matchs is quite calming. maybe its the camaraderie often with other vets, or the concentration required for the long range shots, or reflexes for the quick pin matches, or a mechanism as simple as getting to blast things that aren't blasting back... now if your working with a former marine that engaged in days of hand to hand in Fallujah, you may want a more controlled situation.
    Bottom line - a day at the range beats the best day with a shrink.
  • Mark Pi... Mark Pi... 2013/02/09 14:07:48
    Mark Pillow
    I have gone into greater detail on veterans issues at my site under the tag Veterans - www.markmatter.com and those wondering about the subject might find it a good spot to start from. One shouldn't come away with the impression that our warriors are hopelessly screwed up, amazingly that is not the case, the Human Condition is very resilient. Remeber too, they only go where WE send them.
  • Sayer Stewart 2013/02/08 15:49:56
    No, needs more controls
    Sayer Stewart
    +1
    Meant to say yes. Based on what happened, it's obvious.
  • Meljahun 2013/02/08 10:10:00
    Meljahun
    +1
    Bad Call on Chris part that cost him his life and friend.Its a damn shame.Combat Veteran X
    PTSD X Gun Range = Flash Back
  • ᗩda 乂 2013/02/08 09:23:24
    No, needs more controls
    ᗩda 乂
    In the posts example, yes.
  • Masaca 2013/02/08 08:06:25
    Masaca
    +1
    What were those guys thinking?
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2013/02/08 06:28:41
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    Chris Kyle was a MORON for taking someone with PTSD to a gun range. Idiot paid the price, too.
  • ernest.murphy3 2013/02/08 04:49:32
    No, needs more controls
    ernest.murphy3
    +1
    No. Gun Range therapy is a good idea. Those who buy member ships have unfettered access. Ron Paul is a Prick ass for saying such a thing. and for that comment i am damn glad he did not become our president. when you are trying to reach someone you stick your proverbial neck out. Sometimes actually, because sometimes, it is trust, the person needs. This did not play well this time, and we lost a great American hero.
  • roxie 2013/02/08 04:26:22
    No, needs more controls
    roxie
    +1
    Seems Not!
  • Pakki 2013/02/08 00:21:31
    Pakki
    +2
    "Is asking leading retarded questions on sodahead a bad therapy idea?"
  • roxie Pakki 2013/02/08 04:27:15
    roxie
    +1
    And Yet Here YOU Are!
  • Pakki roxie 2013/02/08 04:40:11
    Pakki
    Your comment was nonsense.
    The fact that I was duped into looking at this persons worthless completely imagined article does prop up any validity.

I came with the intention of see what this person has read pertaining to the shooting.
    This ridiculous question is without merit. It is complete mindless conjecture.
  • roxie Pakki 2013/02/08 04:48:13
    roxie
    +1
    And Yet You Responded to Me!
  • Pakki roxie 2013/02/08 05:19:01
    Pakki
    I'm on sodahead to hear other opinions.
    I thought you may have had one.
    You don't seemed have any.
    You just respond in childish games.
  • MarkAnderson 2013/02/07 23:58:30
    MarkAnderson
    +1
    I can think of all sorts of more peaceful ways to unwind and relax. Scuba diving, going to a baseball game, a hockey game, listening to Christian music.
  • ernest.... MarkAnd... 2013/02/08 04:52:25
    ernest.murphy3
    sex, counting sheep, organizing mozaics. Yep dozens of ways to relax. For military men who are suffering they need brothers who have been there to reach out. Shooting is what they all have in common.
  • thnk4yrslf 2013/02/07 23:32:58
    thnk4yrslf
    +2
    Taking someone who is not right in the head to a live ammunition gun range is well... Like taking a 500lb Diabetic to Hershey Park.
  • glenn cavalli 2013/02/07 22:44:34
    glenn cavalli
    +2
    I believe that NRA pres and vp Wayne L. will be killed soon! Those who lives by the sword will die by the sword.
    Glenn
  • Pakki glenn c... 2013/02/08 05:42:03
    Pakki
    That saying doesn't not apply here.
    That saying means that those that use their sword to kill others will fall by the same fate.
    The NRA does not kill people.

The DMV issues driving licenses to people that kill people when driving so will DMV be killed too?
  • anarce 2013/02/07 20:20:14
    anarce
    +3
    Lol how does shooting guns help you get over the memories and stress induced by shooting guns?

2014/07/30 21:19:52