Is Global Warming Science a Joke?

Politics 2010/12/10 11:00:00
Related Topics: Global Warming, Fox News
Safe to say Fox News' Michelle Malkin isn't holding out much hope for the U.N. Climate Change Conference going on in Cancun, Mexico. Malkin says the science behind global warming is a joke and the environmentalists protesting the conference are "professional grievance mongers."

"Well, who wouldn't want to go to Cancun and protest these days? Of
course, these are the professional grievance mongers, and they're in a
tough position now. Of course, these climate summits are complete flops;
global warming science has been proven to be a complete joke."

Read More: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201012090006

• IvanDG Bob, th... 2010/12/12 04:36:38
    IvanDG
    +1
    Again, no citation. I don't believe that you're making this up, I just think you got all your arguments from unqualified individuals whereas I'm citing Science Magazine and the IPCC.
  • IvanDG IvanDG 2010/12/12 04:39:56
    IvanDG
    +1
    The Science Magazine article also mentions that human-driven climate change concensus is endorsed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the National Academy of Science, he American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union. Your authority: "I heard the arguments somewhere and believe them." I challenge you to find an authoritative scientific body that rejects man-driven climate change. I've just cited FIVE that do the oposite.
  • Bob, th... IvanDG 2010/12/12 05:07:22
    Bob, the reasonable one
    and you are free to believe them, and discount my opinion, NBD, that's how it works...if you believe that it is 100 percent man-made...good luck with that...I'm just relying on commonsense....and from the postings, this particular issue seems to be not mentioned...peculiar? yes, it is! I'm not a scientist and I don't play one on tv...
  • The Cog Bob, th... 2010/12/12 11:38:37
    The Cog
    +1
    "talking about the dangers of the rising sea levels and then building a palace on ocean front property in Cal" Again, I can only reiterate, please clarify once and for all where you stand with regards to whether the earth is warming up or not. If you agree with the fact that the earth is indeed warming (which you seem to indicate at times) then may I please ask that you stop confusing the debate by insinuating otherwise.
  • The Cog Bob, th... 2010/12/12 11:35:40
    The Cog
    +1
    What does this have to do with anything? Why are you people so obsessed with Al Gore? May I suggest you look at the opinions of scientists instead of politicians? I would also like you to clarify where you stand with regards to the earth warming or not. You seem to be insinuating that this is not taking place - can you please tell us what your opinion is on this?
  • The Cog Bob, th... 2010/12/12 11:32:43
    The Cog
    +2
    "I hate hypocrisy" That makes two of us.
  • socialmedic 2010/12/11 04:29:59
    socialmedic
    +1
    look at the social stratification of third world countries. How do you think this girl got this job? Need I say more?
  • Sarge-At-Large 2010/12/11 04:17:15
    Sarge-At-Large
    +4
    It has been proven that the earth has cooling off periods and heat up periods. We are in a natural warming period.

Why is this even still a topic after Climate-gate?
  • socialm... Sarge-A... 2010/12/11 04:37:50
    socialmedic
    It has been proven that the earth has bad weather and good weather and that the GULF has particularly violent weather known as hurricanes, which intelligent people would plan for were it not for morons who will not spend a dime protecting these communities. YOU deliberately MURDERED people in Louisiana. One day YOU will rot in HELL for your selfish distain for anything other than yourself.
  • Dnar socialm... 2010/12/11 05:43:04
    Dnar
    +1
    How about the nitwits who live in flood zones protect themselfs or better yet move out of the stupid flood zone.
  • Sarge-A... socialm... 2010/12/11 17:26:42
    Sarge-At-Large
    Wow! You must be trolling me. How can you claim that I personally am responsible for the devastation of a hurricane? I choose to live above sea level like a sane person should; no 26 feet below sea level like New Orleans.
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/11 13:46:19 (edited)
    The Cog
    +1
    "Why is this even still a topic after Climate-gate?" Because the climate gate scandal only involved a tiny part of the data which the real climate science is based on. Oh, and they were fully exonerated. That's right, THERE WAS NO CLIMATE GATE!

http://www.csmonitor.com/Envi...

Yes, that is a link to Christian Science Monitor, The Cog thought it best to use a site which you might trust. Anyone who cares to do even the most cursory research into this matter will have known about their full exoneration for six months at least.

"The inquiry into the scandal at the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit found there was no evidence of dishonesty or corruption contained in the more than 1,000 e-mails stolen and posted to the Internet late last year. "
  • Sarge-A... The Cog 2010/12/11 17:28:29
    Sarge-At-Large
    I hear ya, but "fool me once" type of thing applies here. If you trust anything else that a liar tells you then you are a fool.
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/11 23:29:50
    The Cog
    +1
    They were not lying, they were willfully withholding their data from climate change sceptics as they were being swamped by data requests*. This was bad and fingers have been slapped, but there was never any question of the EACR's data being falsified.

*This was actually a strategy employed by those who feel threatened by their findings in order to disrupt the work of the EACR, and this is not the only example of this kind of underhand tactics from your camp.
  • Sarge-A... The Cog 2010/12/12 00:22:12
    Sarge-At-Large
    +1
    Really? So while the rest of the world (them to before this) used a standard 1000 year chart to calculate average temps; they chose to use a 2000 year chart to minimize the Medieval Warming Period. Once they realized that there was no real change, they changed the chart. That looks like lying to me.

medieval warming period realized real change changed chart lying
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/12 01:53:49 (edited)
    The Cog
    +1
    I'll see your faked graph and raise you a genuine one based on several distinct datasets:

ill faked graph raise based distinct datasets

• Sarge-A... The Cog 2010/12/12 02:37:57
    Sarge-At-Large
    +1
    No, my real graph is the way it has been done for years; using the standard 1000 year timeline. The one you're using is born from the Climate-gate people and uses a 2000 year timeline to hide the Medieval Warming Period.

If you insist on using a graph on that failed 2000 year logic, then at least use a right one:

hide medieval warming period insist graph 2000 year logic
  • IvanDG Sarge-A... 2010/12/12 04:43:01
    IvanDG
    +1
    FIve studies have exonerated the scientists behind the myth of "climategate" of all but minor discrepancies. Read up on it, I've posted it in several places on this website.

PS your last graph ends at 1951, so it really doesn't refute The Cogg's graph at all.
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/12 11:41:08
    The Cog
    +1
    Your real graph is based on the same data as one of the datasets included in the one I posted. We have nothing to disagree about. But as Ivan pointed out, your graph very conveniently cuts off after 1951. Show me your data for the period 1950 - 2010!
  • Sarge-A... The Cog 2010/12/12 17:46:03
    Sarge-At-Large
    LOL. Both of you said that and both of you are wrong. Look again and you will see the last number is 1951 and they go in 50 year blocks. You will notice that there is space after 1951 and that space takes it to year 2000, hence the 2000 year graph. Thanks for trying though
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/13 02:16:01 (edited)
    The Cog
    +1
    Ah, yes, you are of course correct. My apologies. The reason I didn't look too closely at the graph was that I saw then name Moberg on it and realised where it was from:

Highly variable Northern Hemisphere temperatures reconstructed from low- and high-resolution proxy data [Nature, 2005]
    Anders Moberg, Dmitry M. Sonechkin, Karin Holmgren, Nina M. Datsenko, Wibjörn Karlén

"Global temperatures are currently rising, and future scenarios suggest large changes in precipitation patterns and temperatures."

"The model’s variability before the twentieth century is largely determined by the combined effects of the reconstructed solar and volcanic forcing (that is, natural forcing) that was used in the integration, whereas the notably strong warming in the model data after AD 1900 is largely due to rapidly increasing concentrations of anthropogenic greenhouse gases"

"We find no evidence for any earlier periods in the last two millennia with warmer conditions than the post-1990 period—in agreement with previous similar studies"

http://coast.gkss.de/staff/st...

This study is very well known amongst scientists. You actually pulled a graph from the very people who proved that what you say is wrong... Ooops!
  • The Cog Sarge-A... 2010/12/13 02:21:39
    The Cog
    +1
    Looks like The Cog got the last laugh on that one...
  • Sarge-A... The Cog 2010/12/13 03:02:31
    Sarge-At-Large
    +1
    LOL...no, I don't dispute the graph. I dispute the reading of it. I don't need a scientist to tell me that the MWA is actually warmer than now and furthermore being followed by the little ice age; proves that the weather is cyclical and not manmade.
  • Omni 2010/12/11 04:14:54
    Omni
    Oh, you silly Asian and your animu science
  • Chokmah 2010/12/11 04:05:58
    Chokmah
    +5
    Human activity has nothing to do with global warming. It's all about sun activity. Besides, we are on the verge of a new Ice Age.
  • Omni Chokmah 2010/12/11 04:16:30
    Omni
    +1
    Our contribution is recorded. Of course we didn't start global warming, but our caustic activities have affected our planet more than we'd like to admit.
  • DrCowbo... Chokmah 2010/12/11 04:54:18
  • Wake Th... Chokmah 2010/12/11 04:56:18
    Wake The Sheeple
    I'm glad there are more of us that study the issue rather than loudly Baa-ing & worshiping Al Gore as a demigod.

glad study issue loudly baa-ing worshiping al gore demigod nwo sheep
  • The Cog Wake Th... 2010/12/11 13:50:56
    The Cog
    +1
    Don't make me laugh, what bloody studies have you done? Pathetic!
  • Wake Th... The Cog 2010/12/11 14:18:26 (edited)
    Wake The Sheeple
    Well let's talk about for starters the fact that Eric The Red named a now almost solid sheet of ice Greenland when he found it, was that because the Viking's brand new 900AD coal burning steam ships (sarcasm intended) had a large carbon footprint and melted Greenland's glaciers while they were in route?... Or perhaps there are solar cycles that we humans are to arrogant to admit we don't fully understand?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1...

Polar bears thriving not dying? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...

If you were bringing up the fact that we as humans are polluting our surroundings and destroying flora, fauna, & "weaker" nations, I'd sign on and agree with you whole heartedly, especially after seeing documentaries like Crude & reading books like Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Unfortunately rather than sticking to truth and hard science you are treading in modern mythology & 60's Berkley contrived campfire stories to scare small children & ignorant Liberals like Al Gore into hugging a tree (I'd suggest he hug a polar bear instead.)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1...
    humans arrogant admit fully understand httpwww msnbc msn comid1 greenland

• IvanDG Wake Th... 2010/12/11 20:34:48
    IvanDG
    +1
    Admitedly the polar bear story is nothing more than PR, but that's not enough to refute Science's review of 938 articles concerning global climate change and concluding that it is certainly caused in part by man: http://www.sciencemag.org/con...
  • The Cog Wake Th... 2010/12/11 23:30:59
    The Cog
    +1
    What he said.
  • The Cog Wake Th... 2010/12/12 11:47:36
    The Cog
    +1
    So am I to understand that you agree that the data showing the earth is warming up is correct? That global warming is real? I'd be happy to move on to discussing the possible reasons for this occurring but with the continual insinuations from people here that no warming is occurring it is not even possible to start that discussion.
  • Wake Th... The Cog 2010/12/12 15:11:05
    Wake The Sheeple
    The Facts show that it is actually cooling. This is due to increasing lack of solar flares & other reasons not in any way linked to humans until recently... Having said that you might want to look into the Deepwater Horizon explosion, Corexit, & the slowing Gulf Stream since it's use, if you are looking for a human element affecting a warming or cooling trend.
  • The Cog Chokmah 2010/12/11 13:50:19
    The Cog
    +1
    Proof please!
  • The Cog Chokmah 2010/12/12 11:44:49
    The Cog
    +1
    The correspondence in solar activity vs. temperature stops at 1980[1]. What's more, the data has been proven to have been manipulated[2]. This data is still being circulated as factual, despite having been proven to be false. Additionally, the Sun's energy output has not increased since direct measurements began in 1978[4]. The measurements show a steady rise and fall over the 11-year sunspot cycle, but no upwards or downward trend. The possible warming of Mars and Pluto actually disproves solar influence further; if increased solar output really was responsible, we should be seeing warming on all the planets and their moons, not just Mars and Pluto.

In contrast, the "hockey stick" graph has been supported by more recent evidence[3] despite your best efforts to discredit it.

[1] http://www.newscientist.com/a...
    [2] http://stephenschneider.stanf...
    [3] http://www.newscientist.com/a...
    [4] http://www.newscientist.com/a...
  • Dave POTL-PWCM-JLA 2010/12/11 04:02:13 (edited)
    Dave POTL-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    "Is global warming science a joke?"...yes, however, a better question would be, "How do we deal with this global warming movement that has been shoved up our asses sideways?" Am I the only one who has to deal with the EPA? The EPA is Hitleresque... Cap and trade legislation? Cap and trade is not sitting dormant, Obama is pushing it through the EPA without congressional approval, or voter approval, or voters aware of it for that matter. GOOGLE IT... Climate change has been happening for as long as the earth has existed, and man is not responsible, or accelerating it. This is just further proof of the lengths liberals will go to in order to expand control over YOU,
  • socialm... Dave PO... 2010/12/11 04:41:04
    socialmedic
    I find it really tragic that a guy went to a college class at harvard as an under grad and took the climate question so much to heart that he ran for president ... I have given up on America. That is all I am going to say.
  • IvanDG Dave PO... 2010/12/11 20:35:44
    IvanDG
    +1
    Science magazine: read this abstract on a review of 928 pieces of real science concluding that Climate change is real : http://www.sciencemag.org/con...
  • Earthly Resident 2010/12/11 03:57:35
    Earthly Resident
    these occurrences of warming climates is supposed to be happening

the part that is not a joke is that the human race has drastically sped up the process and that is one reason why it is becoming so much of a problem

u see, every several thousand yrs or so (i am unaware of the exact number), volcanic activity reaches its peak and they begin erupting, releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, thereby warming the climate and rendering some species extinct

but this process is supposed to occur over a period of hundreds or thousands of yrs, but with human industry, we have increased the speed of it to occur within around 100 yrs

2014/10/26 09:35:12