Is Free Lunch Program a Wonderful Idea or Another Wasteful Program?

Chris D 2012/07/05 17:00:00
The free lunch program that is supposed to feed kids in need is really just a free lunch for anyone who shows up. Do you think it's a waste of tax payers' money?

FOXNEWS.COM reports:
Every summer across the country, more than 3 million children eat for free at more than 30,000 sites, from schools to recreation centers to migrant worker camps. It's a valuable resource for families who are struggling -- but, critics say, a convenient freebie for those who aren't.
migrant worker camps valuable resource families struggling critics convenient freebie

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/05/taxpaye...

• Nick 2012/07/05 18:28:41
    Free lunch, please!
    Nick
    +34
    Hungry children can't learn well, and being hungry and broke is not their fault

• Schläue~© Twinky 2012/07/08 21:53:19
    Schläue~©
    +2
    Precisely, but that is exactly what happens in the U.S. because many people have lost any sense of decency, personal responsibility and don't possess the morals that would view it as stealing, at all.
    They have become accustomed to making excuses for their actions knowing others wont confront them.

They have never been exposed to true hardships, and what is considered poverty level by govt. standards far surpasses most other nations.

People in the U.S. have no idea what it's like to have tanks rolling down the street and couldn't comprehend the 24 hour convenience store not available at their beckoned call.
  • Twinky Schläue~© 2012/07/09 09:21:50
    Twinky
    I guess that could make more sense, but I don't see how, with all the money that's being wasted in US taxes anyway, people are complaining about a very cheap (compared to wasted money) programme that is feeding children - rich or poor! The amount of money it takes to credit check people in the first place would cost more than a dinner.
  • Schläue~© Twinky 2012/07/09 12:35:35
    Schläue~©
    +1
    I'm all for helping those truly in need and the USA used to do that at the local level mainly through private organizations that did a very good job using community donations.
    Where it becomes a problem, is the Federal govt. gets involved attaches the program to something such as the dept. of Education, creates another agency, hires more govt. employees for oversight, and eventually the original intent is lost and falls victim to abuse.
    There are already numerous programs in place to feed hungry kids, WIC, EBT, existing school lunch programs etc.
    It winds up being yet another cost passed onto the states.

Take this so-called Health-care reform. It adds 180 NEW Federal govt. agencies, 15,000 new IRS agents, all costs that have no direct relation to anyone's health. Social Secuirty, medicare & Medicaid are the same on a MUCH larger scale.
    SS was first sold to the public as a PARTIAL retirement for the WORKER them-self, who would chip in a bit of their earnings each paycheck.
    It was immediately expanded to include spouses and dependents as beneficiaries and later added a disabled category.
    All the while, the number of workers putting into the program increased only by the gradual rise in population but now had many other hands in the kitty using the benefits.

There are so many overlap...

There are so many overlapping govt agencies as it is and we certainly don't need to add more accountants, bureaucrats and paper shufflers that eat up most of the funding that was supposedly for the program. Once these things are begun, it's nearly impossible to get rid of them and the govt. pensions they create for future generations to pay for.
  • beavith1 Schläue~© 2012/07/10 14:21:11
    beavith1
    +1
    bravo.

16,500 new IRS employees, but who's counting?

its a bleeping nightmare...
  • seadog6... Twinky 2012/07/09 00:24:53
  • Twinky seadog6... 2012/07/09 09:20:11
    Twinky
    Again, you're a lovely caring person aren't you?
  • seadog6... Twinky 2012/07/09 15:41:36
  • Twinky seadog6... 2012/07/09 18:56:39
    Twinky
    Yeah so third world... any country except the US is poor yeah?
    Have you compared the GBP to the USD recently? Or maybe just average salaries?
  • seadog6... Twinky 2012/07/09 23:12:08
  • Twinky seadog6... 2012/07/09 23:51:59
    Twinky
    wowm again you awesome human being.. you must be a god or something
  • seadog6... Twinky 2012/07/10 01:38:12
  • Twinky seadog6... 2012/07/10 11:17:09 (edited)
    Twinky
    YOU however, are not.
  • seadog6... Twinky 2012/07/10 13:13:50
  • Twinky seadog6... 2012/07/10 16:29:42
    Twinky
    +1
    Yes, but why should I believe that someone who thinks people are solely, individually responsible for their own suffering would do anything for anyone other than himself?... Apart from possibly because its a social club that raises hisown profile.
  • seadog6... seadog6... 2012/07/10 17:09:56
  • Geenie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/08 22:59:15
    Geenie Nabottle
    I would love for you to provide just one example of your imagined scenario....
  • JohnT Schläue~© 2012/07/08 19:59:05
    JohnT
    Well I guess we should be allowing bigger oil subsidies to the oil companies instead, or perhaps more foreign aid to Pakistan and other countries that hate our guts, or perhaps more bail outs for wall street because they are more important than the human condition.
  • Schläue~© JohnT 2012/07/08 20:00:43
    Schläue~©
    +1
    Or perhaps you could actually read the article.
  • JohnT Schläue~© 2012/07/08 20:08:28
    JohnT
    +1
    I did jarhead and if you would have gotten your head out of your nether regions and read what I posted I said I didn't care if we wasted a few bucks it is kids that we are feeding Perhaps we need to cut something form that 768 billion dollar DOD budget and you don't need a vacation in Germany
  • Schläue~© JohnT 2012/07/08 20:23:24
    Schläue~©
    +1
    Not that replying to your insignificant ass is a good use of time but nowhere in your response did you mention "I didn't care if we wasted a few bucks it is kids that we are feeding".

Nevertheless, programs that are approved for one purpose and abused by low-lifes should be scrapped. Perhaps then, the bleeding hearts who find no problem with the abuse will follow the original intent.

I travel on my own dime.
  • seadog6... Schläue~© 2012/07/09 00:25:36
  • Schläue~© seadog6... 2012/07/09 01:37:57
    Schläue~©
    +1
    I'm guessin'..... YIKES !!!
  • Kenneth... Schläue~© 2012/07/08 20:16:13
    Kenneth Huang
    I didn't know shoes and Escalades were edible...
  • Schläue~© Kenneth... 2012/07/08 20:27:09
    Schläue~©
    +1
    I didn't know that so many approved of programs for the needy being abused.
  • Geenie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/08 22:51:42 (edited)
    Geenie Nabottle
    Ahh yes I did read the article and my opinion is the same.... If a CHILD shows up to get a free lunch in the summertime because they are hungry, give them a damn sandwich and an apple.

Let me ask you a question since you seem to imagine that all these well to do people are out driving escalade suv's while popping into the local food banks to get a free sandwich..... How often do you see well to do people mingling in the same areas of your community where soup kitchens and free lunch counters are?
  • Schläue~© Geenie ... 2012/07/08 23:08:52
    Schläue~©
    +1
    Derrrr.... The shoes, Utilities and Escalade comment was with my CO. neighbor in mind who is living in a 5 bed. 3 car gar. home courtesy of the taxpayers, section 8 housing and the b!tch is gaming every single goobermint freebie she can get her grubby paws on.

Who knows how many baby Daddy sperm donors she used to rack up her little qualifiers because they never come around. Great life for the kids, dontcha think?
  • seadog6... Schläue~© 2012/07/09 00:26:42
  • Geenie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/09 00:35:02 (edited)
    Geenie Nabottle
    Man, you must sure have a lot of spare time on your hands seeing how you spend so much of it enthralled in your neighbor's life..... No wait i just re-read that... You are enthralled in your CO's neighbors life. How do you find time for your OWN family and household, when you spend so much time & energy knowing a strangers???

You must be the hit of the gossip and bridge parties in your neighborhood!
  • Schläue~© Geenie ... 2012/07/09 01:36:01
    Schläue~©
    CO as in Colorado

Oh, there's no way to avoid it. She's hit up a few of us trying to sell her EBT card for 50 cents on the dollar. No shame in her game at all.

That's alright, one of these days she'll screw up royally and Social Services will place the kids somewhere they have a chance at a normal life.

Bridge party? ...... The only bridge parties we have are at Lake Havasu.
  • Geenie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/09 06:39:56 (edited)
    Geenie Nabottle
    Oh so you want me to believe you have a real live mythical welfare queen that lives next door?!? And you know this because she tried to sell her EBT card for .50 on the dollar!

So did you go to the grocery store with her or were you supposed to meet back up with her to get the card back? As I don't think they get a new card each month....

And Man that must mean you either live in the hood aka the ghetto or in a trailer park...
  • Schläue~© Geenie ... 2012/07/09 12:55:31
    Schläue~©
    Wow did that go over your head @ MACH 1.

The cards are typically good for a 3-6 month bloc, they sell them at some point during that authorization period, go to the office near the end cycle, claim they lost it and receive a new one within days. It's a scam, and the pros have been doing it for generations, passing the tricks of the trade on down the line.

No ghetto, I can assure you which is the whole point. People in this neighborhood are homeowners who have worked to be able to afford living here. She is living in a house that was acquired though an estate sale by an investor who specializes in rentals for section 8 recipients.
    It's guaranteed payment for the title holder who isn't too concerned with maintenance or any added overhead.

The property is unkempt, lawn never mowed (unless one of the neighbors get tired of looking at it) traffic in & out at all times of the night and an occasional visit from the local police for a disturbance.

Yeah, lovely environment for the kids. As I said, her days are numbered.
  • Geenie ... Schläue~© 2012/07/09 15:01:55
    Geenie Nabottle
    +1
    What state do you live in so I can validate that for myself as just about every state in the UNITED STATES people who receive food stamps now get an EBT card that is like a debit card that they keep and does not get replaced unless lost or stolen. Typically people receive their befefits during the begining of the month.Then if she is reporting a lost or stolen card every month because she is selling them I think that would raise a red flag?

So actually I think you should keep your made up gobbled-gook to yourself next time and try minding your own business instead of peaking in your neighbors window trying to figure out why she is not living in squalor as you must be since you are jealous & envious of a person receiving public assistance!

Oh and a side note, if you know for a fact that this person is selling her EBT benefits, why are you not reporting it to social services??? Maybe it's is not her that is the problem but YOU!
  • Zach 2012/07/08 09:18:03
    Free lunch, please!
    Zach
    +3
    Every kid deserves to eat lunch. If that child's parents can't afford groceries, lunch money, etc... let them starve? No. That lunch could be the only meal they eat all day.
  • breawycker 2012/07/08 06:36:11
    I think...
    breawycker
    +3
    Therefore I am. (Cogito ergo sum)
  • El Prez 2012/07/08 05:30:03
    I think...
    El Prez
    +2
    I think "the critics" you mention are the biggest wast of time, money and and our consideration. Who are they? Why don't they want little kids to have some nourishing food? Ask JohnStossel and he will recommend we get the hungry little bastards cleaning our floors or something to earn the right to the "free meals". Stupid question!!!!!!
  • Bob DiN El Prez 2012/07/09 14:12:18
    Bob DiN
    Is It nourishing food or slop? Is it more about crooked government contracts than food for kids?
  • El Prez Bob DiN 2012/07/09 19:59:33
    El Prez
    I am presuming there is some nourtition involved from the picture. if it is slop then of course
  • El Prez El Prez 2012/07/09 20:01:49
    El Prez
    How about nutrition and of course I am not for slop.
  • findthelight2000 2012/07/08 05:01:02
    Free lunch, please!
    findthelight2000
    +3
    The most wasteful government spending is that done by Republican politicians.
  • Super_D... findthe... 2012/07/08 20:07:59
    Super_Doodles
    http://waysandmeans.house.gov...

Just a sample of why you should allow for the possibility that honor among Democrats just isn't as prevalent as you think. Don't be naive, both sides have become tools for special interests

2014/10/24 07:58:51