Is Free Lunch Program a Wonderful Idea or Another Wasteful Program?

Chris D 2012/07/05 17:00:00
The free lunch program that is supposed to feed kids in need is really just a free lunch for anyone who shows up. Do you think it's a waste of tax payers' money?

FOXNEWS.COM reports:
Every summer across the country, more than 3 million children eat for free at more than 30,000 sites, from schools to recreation centers to migrant worker camps. It's a valuable resource for families who are struggling -- but, critics say, a convenient freebie for those who aren't.
migrant worker camps valuable resource families struggling critics convenient freebie

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/05/taxpaye...

• Nick 2012/07/05 18:28:41
    Free lunch, please!
    Nick
    +34
    Hungry children can't learn well, and being hungry and broke is not their fault

• Bob DiN Razorey... 2012/07/09 21:32:17
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Not as selfish as these crooked programs that serve slop so politicians can get their kickbacks.
  • Razorey... Bob DiN 2012/07/09 22:24:04
    Razoreye001
    It's just leveling the playing field if you are so concerned with higher taxes then your problem is that you don't appreciate what you have.
  • Bob DiN Razorey... 2012/07/09 23:15:51
    Bob DiN
    +1
    What a phony answer. Sounds you are one of those on the take.
  • Razorey... Bob DiN 2012/07/10 00:38:46
    Razoreye001
    You obviously believe in birthright not equality of opportunity. No I am on no welfare programs.
  • Bob DiN Razorey... 2012/07/10 07:17:45
    Bob DiN
    +1
    I meant you are a poltical insider on the take, but I'm not surprised you won't admit it.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 13:57:48
    Marvelous Wildfire
    How did you come to that rediculous conclusion?
    Sounds like Bob believes in equality of *OPPORTUNITY*, but not equality of *OUTCOME*.

Only fools, deadbeats and politicians support equality of outcome, but then I'm repeating myself.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 15:38:42
    Razoreye001
    You can't have equality of opportunity unless the playing field is level.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 16:33:35
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Sorry, but, yes you can have equal opportunity, and not have equal outcome.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 16:37:16
    Razoreye001
    But some people start off better than others allowing them more opportunities and ultimately a better life than someone who started off with less. That isn't equal opportunity just by definition.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 16:42:33
    Marvelous Wildfire
    The vast majority of those who "start off better"; simply didn't deliberately *SQUANDER* the opportunities they had by making stupid choices.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 16:50:03
    Razoreye001
    that's not true, most millionaires and billionaires are born not self made.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 16:57:03
    Marvelous Wildfire
    The vast majority of the prosperous middle-class were *NOT* born, they *WORKED* to achieve what they became.

Look at Obama himself: As an unemployed black man, homeless and living on the street (his book), he was able to go, not just to community college, but was able to go to and graduate from *COLUMBIA* and *HARVARD*!
    The deadbeats could at least go to community college.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 17:05:53 (edited)
    Razoreye001
    Obama is the exception not the rule, the truth is most millionaires. At least half of all rich people today were born into money. Look at the bush family, born rich and not to mention a small portion of that money came from deals his grandfather made with Hitler.
    http://www.alternet.org/rss/1...

http://www.alternet.org/visio...
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 17:14:46
    Marvelous Wildfire
    And why do you believe, that if you're not a millionair, you're on food stamps?

You state: "At least half of all rich people today were born into money."

Because of the sheltered life you've lead to date, you don't understand that "At least half of all rich people today were born into money" *MEANS* nearly half of all millionairs, using your unsupported statement, *WERE NOT* "born into money".

Since the discussion is food, here's something for you to ponder: Why does the USA have so many OBESE "poor" people?
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 17:29:34
    Razoreye001
    ever hear of produce deserts, there are parts of this country that have no access to fresh produce. In short a lot of it is that poor quality food that lasts a long time is unhealthy food.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 17:39:52
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "ever hear of produce deserts, there are parts of this country that have no access to fresh produce."

Yes I've heard that stupid lie many times.
    There nowhere in the USA that produce can't be obtained.
    Non-deadbeats often grow their own. (Prior to food stamps and welfare, this was a very common practice. It still is among non-deadbeats.)

You state: "In short a lot of it is that poor quality food that lasts a long time is unhealthy food."

There is unhealthy food, mostly prepackaged meals, so the deadbeats don't have to work and put the meal together.
    I don't know of a single grocery store that doesn't carry frozen produce. But I don't expect you to know that, or you wouldn't be propagating the "produce deserts" lie.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 13:26:20
    Marvelous Wildfire
    It is the children's *PARENTS* that are denying the children food.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 15:39:25
    Razoreye001
    Don't blame those who can't help their children even if they want to.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 16:39:30
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Did they know *HOW* the children were made?
    Do you honestly believe they are too stupid to know how a condom works?

They created the children, to the taxPAYERS.
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 16:44:18
    Razoreye001
    accidents happen, birth control doesn't work 100% of the time. There is always a chance of failure and people shouldn't be punished for it.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 16:49:29
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "accidents happen, birth control doesn't work 100% of the time."

But that is by far the exception, and not the rule.
    Don't you even realize, that you're trying to use a 1 in a million as the rule? (Too stupid to use the BC correctly, is indeed the fault of the dumbasses.)

You state: "There is always a chance of failure and people shouldn't be punished for it."

It is idiocy to set policy based on the behavior of the stupid and irresponsible.
    "The best way to help the poor is to make them uncomfortable in their poverty"
  • Razorey... Marvelo... 2012/07/15 16:52:05
    Razoreye001
    You don't get it, not everyone has access to birth control and if you did any real research you would know that.
  • Marvelo... Razorey... 2012/07/15 17:04:42
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I'm sorry, but that is simply not true.
    I don't believe you have been in the real world, so you don't *KNOW* that your statement isn't true, or it would be a lie.

Condoms are even given out free.
  • rdyjoe Razorey... 2012/07/09 18:36:44
    rdyjoe
    +1
    Then you go stand in line and hand out food to who you want and STOP SPENDING other peoples money!!
  • Razorey... rdyjoe 2012/07/09 18:57:41
    Razoreye001
    High taxes is what we pay for civilization unfortunately. If your biggest problem is really high taxes then your living a pretty good life and should stop complaining about first world problems and appreciate what you have.
  • iamnothere 2012/07/08 22:26:08
    I think...
    iamnothere
    +3
    there is no free lunch.. it is just moving money from those who earn to those whose parents wont.. and as much as this has been expanded.. covers everyone .. just show up
  • JAA iamnothere 2012/07/09 03:32:10
    JAA
    That's not true. The need is verified & a card is issued to each child for identification. They don't "just show up."
  • iamnothere JAA 2012/07/09 11:43:33
    iamnothere
    +2
    that is incorrect.. go do a little research .. one does not need to fill out a form show any id or other method to show you qualify .. reality
  • JAA iamnothere 2012/07/09 18:34:49
    JAA
    We did. Reality.
  • iamnothere JAA 2012/07/09 22:57:23
    iamnothere
    +1
    Provision 2 is an option that enables schools and institutions to provide free meals to all of their students while reducing paperwork and administrative costs. While any school that participates in the National School Lunch Program or the School Breakfast Program may opt for Provision 2, generally schools with high percentages of low-income students (75 percent or more) are able to utilize this option. Under Provision 2, all students receive free meals, regardless of income, and schools collect applications for free and reduced-price meals once every four years, at most. Also, schools under Provision 2 do not have to track and record the different categories of meals served for at least three out of every four years. Provision 2 schools pay the difference between the cost of serving meals at no charge to all students and the federal reimbursement for the meals.

School nutrition programs should contact their State Agencies for assistance on how to implement Provision 2 in some or all of their schools.
  • JAA iamnothere 2012/07/10 01:38:23
    JAA
    +1
    Are you the PR person for your state's program?
  • iamnothere JAA 2012/07/10 11:07:56
    iamnothere
    +1
    LOL NO I dont believe in the great give away.. that is fact
  • FanOreilly 2012/07/08 21:24:25
    More wasteful spending...
    FanOreilly
    +5
    Add this to the list of things the government should not be doing.
  • star FanOreilly 2012/07/10 06:22:28
    star
    I don't call it wasteful spending. I have raised five children without the government help but I don't resent those who do. Take the Stimulas Obama gave away. Get real. I thought you were a smart guy guess I was wrong.
  • FanOreilly star 2012/07/11 10:48:24
    FanOreilly
    +1
    You don't get to steal the earnings of others.

Keep your hands to yourself.
  • star FanOreilly 2012/07/12 03:18:24
    star
    I have always kept my hands to myself. Also I am 76 and raised five children and never took a dime from the government in my life. My parents raised 13 children without government help. They raised their children without government help. But some people need it. My husband's mother and dad raised seven without government help. There are a lot of people that never took government aid but lots have .I never had to go that route. Thank God He has helped me support my family without help from you or anyone else. If you want to blame anyone blame presidents who makes free help to those who need it. I think you are spiteful because you do not care for the poor. Why don't you pick on our government who deals in fraud themselves and get by with it? They live high and send billions overseas. Last and foremost I have never stolen one thin dime from anyone. Keep your stupid money I don't want nor need it.
  • FanOreilly star 2012/07/12 19:03:02
    FanOreilly
    +1
    If you vote for socialists then you are stealing the earnings of others.

Keep your hands to yourself.
  • star FanOreilly 2012/07/12 23:50:46
    star
    +1
    Fan I have not voted democrat for many years. I used to till I learned better. But I still feel sorry for the kids who are not to blame.
  • Marvelo... star 2012/07/15 14:25:21
    Marvelous Wildfire
    It's perfectly understandable to feel sorry for those children, and I would commend you, if you took sandwiches to them at their school.
    Because that is *YOUR* resources, being used by *YOU*, to do what *YOU* believe needed done.

Expecting total strangers to support the children of the irresponsible, by confiscating the money of the productive simply because they are productive, is simply wrong.
  • star Marvelo... 2012/07/17 02:52:59
    star
    That is what the government is doing don't blame anyone else. Just vote Republican I do. You all need to get off your pity party. After the government takes your money, it is no ones business what they do with it. Any more than I can when I tithe to my church. They can spend it how they wish it is no longer mine.

2014/09/30 14:11:31