Is Excessive Competition Killing Community Spirit?

JMCC 2012/09/22 09:35:54
Yes, excessive competition is killing community spirit...
No, excessive competition is not killing community spirit...
Why did Mitt Romney tell those wealthy donors, in the secretly filmed interaction that leaked out this week, that nearly half the nation were of little interest to him?

Never mind the poor politics - how can that be American?

It feels so utterly wrong and is it the best example to be setting especially when you look at the totality of the hatred (and that is not too strong a word) that the political classes in modern America throw at each other.

• Angi 2012/09/22 14:07:27
    Angi
    +4
    If you have a Presidential candidate who says this, I would be worried. I would be worried because a country is also a community and if you dismiss half the nation you want to rule, you have already failed. A country cannot prosper if you just forget or ignore part of it.

• Cat 2012/09/25 05:19:56
    Cat
    +1
    TV killed community spirit long ago. People used to belong to clubs, go bowling together, meet up at soda fountains, play softball or go sledding together.
    Today its all TV, computer socializing and video gaming.

I think Mitt was talking about voters who'd never pull his lever. and he was wrong. Many of that 47% don't want to be there and would appreciate job training and an economy that has room for them, even the marginally handicapped.
  • AdmrlLocke 2012/09/24 06:16:21
    AdmrlLocke
    Excessive socialism is destroying community spirit by teaching people that everyone owes them something and they own nothing to anyone else.
  • dacsayshi 2012/09/24 05:46:12
    dacsayshi
    +1
    Romney only said something true and people get upset about it. Almost half the country does not pay taxes. Yes, many elderly and disabled, but they earned it. Most people receiving free services did not earn it and millions are not from this county and they get everything free. None of these people gave anything to America, just take and want more. It is these people that generally do the most complaining about free services. How often do people seem greatful for the handouts they are getting? Do they offer their services in repayment? No, generally they cost the even more money by increasing crime, graffiti, increasing populuation, etc. Speaking of community spirit, how about they do something about it instead of looking for government to do for them?
  • ajracestables1 2012/09/23 04:54:29
    ajracestables1
    +1
    We should all look out after each other and lend a helping hand when we can but we as individuals need to make it happen for ourselves and not rely on others to make it happen for us. We will be a stronger nation in the long run.
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/09/23 02:53:04
    Margaret Jacobson
    +1
    It depends on the neighborhood!! In some neighborhoods there is NO COMPETION OR COMMUNITY SPIRIT!! The only thing that goes on is the constant getting of benefits. I mean food stamps, rental vouchers, free gas &electric;,
  • Nameless Margare... 2012/09/23 03:21:56
    Nameless
    In those communities there are often few to no jobs, uneducated people, and a lack of hope.
  • waterlady 2012/09/22 23:16:08
    waterlady
    +1
    We need to work together instead of competing.
  • Nameless 2012/09/22 22:56:23
    Nameless
    +1
    The bile slung at each other during political seasons, especially, cause an immense amount of discord. It interferes with the community being able to work together to solve problems because no one wants to talk to one another - and nothing gets done. The name-calling and mud slinging is insulting to those of us who really want to work together to make not only our country better - but the world a better and safer place to live for all. If our children behaved and spoke as rudely we would not tolerate it...
  • pantagruella 2012/09/22 22:20:24
    pantagruella
    +1
    I live in a community where the community spirit beats fitfully. It sometimes pulses and then dies away to a disturbing silence. I contribute nothing to the community except the rates and that is much.
  • bye 2012/09/22 19:52:24
    bye
    +1
    Excessive ACLU is killing lots of things.
  • bob h. 2012/09/22 19:44:04
    bob h.
    +2
    I believe that 9/11 was the beginning. A sharp division between the "true believers" and those who actually watched was created. It's only gotten worse.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/09/22 19:35:23
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    Competition between people in a community is killing community spirit as it leads them to mistrust eachother. Other competition is fine.
  • gocar 2012/09/22 19:32:47
    gocar
    +1
    Oh dear, I seem to be the only one who cannot make up their mind on this one. Competition in itself is not bad but it can be rather overwhelming. Cooperation is probably a better attribute for a society to prosper but competition for the sake of fun is ok. Unfortunately winning has taken over from sportsmanship. Horses, are doped, athletes take dope, and there is all kinds of cheating because rather than sport it has become a business and involved BIG MONEY.
  • Mrkando 2012/09/22 19:30:44
    Mrkando
    +2
    And this is but one more example of what has been going on for the last two years since the "republican wrong" took control of the house. There has been nothing of value passed since because their priority is to get Obama out of office and hope the country can survive until they do. The Republican Tea Party has but one agenda and that is to take total control of Washington. If they do those 47% will just have to do the best they can because the people who have backed then will get all the benefit.

The thing that bothers me the most is the vast majority of Republicans fall in that 47% and will pay dearly right along with the rest of us.
  • gkirmani 2012/09/22 19:23:16
    gkirmani
    +1
    wherever and whenever EMOTIONS dominates the PURPOSE is the victim.............yes 2B #1 EGO dominates and objectves are compromised.........how sad
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/09/22 15:47:33
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    Your question/answers have NOTHING to do with your blog portion.

What Romney was referring to is the percentage of voters that we all know he has no chance of convincing to vote for him. He was not dismissing them as people, merely acknowledging the fact that there is no point spending valuable resources focusing on them in terms of campaigning. Y'all complicate this crap much more than it is.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/09/22 15:23:03
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    I assume you meet politically. America is composed of many thousands of communities. The one in which I live on the Texas coast is around 36,000. Local politics gets heated but not nasty . The City Council gets its bloomers in a big twist a couple times a year, usually over some new state mandate. Political competition is nothing but a murmur, unlike the loud bellowing on this forum. When I am out and about, I rarely hear political talk. It's about the lack of rain, the high price of hay and livetock feed, slow road repair on I -10, etc.

While Romney was waxing eloquently about the Obama moochers, no doubt many ears perked up for the first time. Those would be the ears of the backbone of the country... restaurant workers, security guards, hospital employees, auto mechanics. There has been water cooler talk, no doubt, and perhaps more people will tune in to the national slug fest which draws in people much like a train wreck . It's ugly but there it is ...and it's hard to turn away.
  • actionjksn 2012/09/22 14:32:16 (edited)
    actionjksn
    +2
    I don't really think there is as much difference between the two party's as people would like to think. I think their animosity between each other is an act. They are both selected by the same corporate bankers. That being said, Obama is such a radical with so many extremist views I think he is more dangerous to this country than the usual politician schmuck. All the liberals should feel good in knowing Romney is not a conservative. He was elected governor of Massachusetts and they have about half a dozen conservatives in that whole state. And liberals would not have elected a conservative for governor of that state. Plus Obama care is directly based on Romney's socialized healthcare plan. In other words Romney wrote Obama care. He's also anti gun so I don't see what the problem is. At this point I would just like to have a president who will do at least as well as Bill Clinton. And Obama does not meet that requirement. Romney will be closer to Bill Clinton than Obama.
  • Azazyel's Dragon 2012/09/22 14:26:24
    Azazyel's Dragon
    +1
    Sticks and stones may break my bones, but...
    somebody yelling
    ...will never hurt me...(sniff)... :(
  • Angi 2012/09/22 14:07:27
    Angi
    +4
  • Eccles 2012/09/22 12:45:30
    Eccles
    +2
    Despise politics, despise politicians talk a load of rubbish bunch of street hustlers in disguise. Worse than some of those sacks of manure from the various religions with their distortions of the truth, lies and manipulation.
    Tell the people what they want to hear not what they need to hear and they will follow like lambs to the slaughter.
  • mach-1 BL-106 2012/09/22 10:32:38
  • JMCC mach-1 ... 2012/09/22 10:40:02
    JMCC
    +3
    So I am guessing that is a "yes competitiveness is killing community spirit"?
  • mach-1 ... JMCC 2012/09/22 10:49:34
    mach-1  BL-106
    +2
    I find it confusing the way your blog is written....honestly!
    Do you mean the competitiveness's between candidates?
    So I went generic

2014/10/02 08:46:27