Is Conservatism a system of excuses for widening the wealth gap?

bob 2011/10/21 16:19:51
Related Topics: Gap, Wealth
The Conservatism system of excuses for widening the wealth gap includes:
Conservatism id not a system of excuses for widening the wealth gap, based on:
I ride the fence on this question......

• wallace ashley 2011/10/21 16:50:09
    wallace ashley
    +11
    Having come from being born on a reservation in the Dakota's, I can definitively say I am better off having left, gotten 2 college degrees, and pursued my career. Now, you can ask this question to my relatives who are still living on the reservation voting for more government handouts, but even they are getting tired of all the promises of the government taking care of them. Is that a place you want your children to grow up?

• mind-pilot 2011/10/24 23:33:25
    mind-pilot
    +1
    To be honest there is no conservative in America. The so-called conservative recklessness I've witnessed, all the way from the proposterous idea of a "trickle down" theroy to enhance the medium incomes to the idea of not worrying about a deficit and borrowing all the funds needed to appear solvent shows fiscal carelessness and without any conservative overture at the least. I am appalled to know the so-called "conservatives" borrowed trillions from my conservative arch enemy: The COMMUNIST CHINESE. When I vowed to rid the world of communism my party throws itself in their mercy. For thirty years the so-called treasonous group that has run this country into the ground has masked themselves with the conservative image. As a moderate conservative I believe there are situations that could be bent. But, I do not believe this country needed to be non-conservative by untaxing the classes. Off shore tax hide-outs to screw the very country I conservatively like to govern. And, definitely do not think of outsourcing jobs as a conservative American. Much less promote job losses so high that before this current decade we witnessed as much as 700,000 jobs lost a month. As a conservative I believe we must arrest/try/punish/detain and prosecute those who bedeviled this country using the conservative mantras.
  • bob mind-pilot 2011/10/26 20:48:02
    bob
    wow
  • Nathan Gallup 2011/10/24 23:07:44
    Nathan Gallup
    if you do work you get money, its that simple
  • bob 2011/10/24 18:13:09
    bob
    Many conservative sound like a repeating record, trying to sell old garbage to us for a profit. I't's not worth buying.
  • jon 2011/10/24 18:00:58
    jon
    I will go with wallace ashly
  • Live Free Or Die 2011/10/23 15:02:06 (edited)
    I ride the fence on this question......
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    There are many reasons for it and I don't personally believe they all have to do with the rich getting richer.
  • jimrthy BN-0 2011/10/23 14:54:05
    I ride the fence on this question......
    jimrthy BN-0
    +1
    Conservatism and Liberalism are just labels the Powers That Be use to keep us distracted with meaningless questions like this one.

The wealth gap is meaningless. It's the lifestyle gap that might conceivably mean anything. That gap is smaller than it's ever been in history. So quit obsessing over it.

Focusing on nonsense like this keeps people from noticing that conservatives are cooperating with liberals to destroy the few freedoms we have left. There's a faint hope we might be able to make it stop before it's too late, but not if we keep worrying about the cosmetic differences between the "two" halves of our Politburo.
  • dlsofsetx 2011/10/22 22:28:56
    dlsofsetx
    Liberal policies that impose high taxation & give so many deductions that many wealthy pay no taxes are to blame.That's why so many wealthy are "limosine liberals."
  • turnright 2011/10/22 15:02:53 (edited)
    turnright
    +1
    Conservatism is not a "system" but a belief that our country was FOUNDED on the basis that ALL MEN (and women) are created equal with THE GOD GIVEN RIGHTS of: LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUE OF HAPPINESS. And those are the principles that made the U.S.A the wealthiest and most powerful nation on Earth. Conservatism also believes that the Federal government should be limited to the functions allowed by the Constitution, which are to balance a Budget, Maintain an Army to protect its citizens and BORDERS, and regulate commerce between States. None of which are being done.
  • D Robert Burroughs 2011/10/22 12:16:47
    D Robert Burroughs
    +2
    Bob you are an idiot. What a ridiculous question. Conservatism believes in personal responsibility and personal success. Conservatism believes in rewarding risk and success.
  • gilbertgosane 2011/10/22 10:13:12
    gilbertgosane
    +2
    "Enlightened self-interest", only without the "enlightened" part.
  • Michael Hertel 2011/10/22 09:13:47
    Michael Hertel
    +1
    The corporate income tax which makes the poor poorer and the very rich richer. I would guess that the corporate income tax adds x percent to the purchase price of everything produced either by a corporation or someone using materials produced by a corporation.

A fairly well off person making 35,000 pays 35,000 times x. or x percent of income since all income is spent.
    A rich person making 35,000,000 and spending 1,000,000 pays x percent of 1,000,000 or 1/35 x percent of income.

Can you see the problem here and understand that the corporate income tax is much more of a burden on the poor than it is for the rich?

Everyone paying a certain percentage of income would be better, not great but better.
  • AL 2011/10/22 08:59:53 (edited)
    AL
    +1
    Sorry I hit the wrong one! The only ones that can really support both Government jobs and help the unemployed at the same time, is wealthy job creators in the private sector! Otherwise we have more people out of work, and we all end up paying the taxes the private sector used to pay at one time
  • BlackwinterG36C 2011/10/22 06:31:51
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    Its a pro-capitolist ideology which confronted and defeated communism.
  • James Blackwi... 2011/10/22 10:17:06
  • santana... James 2011/10/22 22:12:38
    santanasmooth
    +1
    Yes because china fell when?
  • urwutuis 2011/10/22 06:23:09
    urwutuis
    +2
    Conservatism doiesn't get the point.
    Yolu cannot enrich a society by empoverishing its people.

Sooner or later the house of cards will come down.
    I give it 2 years at the outside.
  • James urwutuis 2011/10/22 10:18:51
    James
    But you can enrich a society by making sure it's members know how to spell, and relate ideas logically. Something you appear unable to do. Or have you smoked a little too much weed?
  • D Rober... urwutuis 2011/10/22 12:19:32
    D Robert Burroughs
    +1
    socialism works just fine until you run out of other people's money to spend
  • rani 2011/10/22 06:09:15
    rani
    +1
    I think its the understanding
    +1
    No, it's called being fair.
    +1
    It is called freedom. No where is it stated that government has the right to redistrubute wealth. We have certain inalienable rights and government has no right to take from on eto give to another. That is communism and socialism. The dems want to start a revolution and anger toward wealthy people. Greed is indeed a moral issue but you can not legislate morality. Should the rich pay more, maybe but only after government crooks stop the waste freaud and abuse. Which is more repugnant to our society--wasting all our money or wasting the money your earned by the laws of the land. The government is the evil more than the rich! The dems want to see a french, bolshevik, communist revoltion which turns our country into a soclialist waste land where the only wealth is in the hands of the elite ruling class. What socliast government has ever lasted or prospered?
  • JessicaEBixby 2011/10/22 04:36:46
    JessicaEBixby
    +1
    If you spend all your money now how do you pay your bills later? Just cause I save up to buy the things I want doesn't mean I should have to give it away to you because I'm not using it now.

PS learn to spell correctly. There are programs for that.
  • Dunnemarogra 2011/10/22 03:56:13
    Dunnemarogra
    +1
    Conservatism Wants you to stop being poor and get the Fishing Rod so you can Fish yourself. The Liberals want you to stay poor and just be given the few fish a week you get.
    +1
    Damned sure it is!
  • mich52 2011/10/22 03:00:30
  • middlesex1957 2011/10/22 02:44:10
    middlesex1957
    +3
    Not only is it that, it is a system to re-distribute wealth into a handful of people while funneling it out of the middle class and into the hands of the richest people in the world. It utilizes hate and fear to get middle class people to vote against their own best interests by selling them propaganda about how their troubles are caused by the poor, immigrants, gays, people of other religions... anyone except the ones actually ripping them off.
  • Bothergirl 2011/10/22 02:42:33
    Bothergirl
    +1
    Liberalism is bankrupting our country.
  • Ozzyboy 2011/10/22 01:58:08
    Ozzyboy
    +1
    Wealth should be based on achievement not existence. I don't want to pay for your habits but will happily pay for mine, right after I've earned a paycheck to support whatever habits I have. Bob, you are all over SH trying to smear conservatives but it's not working out the way you thought is it?
  • Paradox25 2011/10/22 01:44:36
    I ride the fence on this question......
    Paradox25
    +1
    Not the conservatism of old since a free market economy would actually prevent monopolies and a corporatocracy that aims to protect certain interests. The wealth gap has been widening because government policies formulated by lobbyists have been making this happen.
  • lee 2011/10/22 01:29:05
    lee
    +1
    doing the bidding of corporations

they have decided they don't need consumers in America any more... there are billions of them in India and China who want what we have already.

they plan to do to them what they have done to us.. but they don't realized how unsustainable that is (or don't care).

wake up. these guys are not helping Americans, they are helping the corporations.
  • Simmeri... lee 2011/10/22 17:51:09
    Simmering Frog
    When you help corporations, you help Americans. Where do you think Americans get their income from? The government? Maybe you do.
  • lee Simmeri... 2011/10/22 17:58:03
    lee
    +1
    when you help Americans, you help Americans... something you seem unwilling to do.

you would rather that they starve themselves skinny so you can feel better about what little help you can bring yourself to meter out.

corporations are NOT, I repeat, NOT looking out for Americans. They exist for one reason and one reason only... to make profit.

to expect more from them puts you squarely in the daddy complex category of needy type personality disorders.

most Authoritarians suffer from this.
  • Someone Else 2011/10/22 01:20:00
    I ride the fence on this question......
    Someone Else
    +3
    What will they do when all their money is worthless as toilet paper. Wipe their hiney's?
    Guns, Ammo and Marijuana the new currency for a new millennium.
  • Glfer65 2011/10/22 00:27:48
    Glfer65
    +1
    Given the situation at hand I can say why is it so hard for the Cons to understand the meaning a giving another person a fair shake? Business' have been cutting and cutting back on people and wages.

While there are many reasons for this telling us to make do with what you got is not going to cut it. There are millions of workers who bust their ass day after day for measly pay thanks to their companies telling them either take a pay cut or take a hike!

Give the companies incentives to boost their staff or give them pay raises that reflect the COLA increases in other products. Wages have been stalled while products we buy have gone through the roof and they tell us to deal with it?

Some people are not able to work two three jobs to make ends meet and quite frankly we as a nation are to heavy handed on making them work so much they are literally unhappy.

Unhappy workers are the worst producers while happy workers can double our production without even thinking. Add the fact that workers getting more money in their paycheck actually makes them spend more causing a very good economic uptick.

So squeezing every bloody drop of a person to do their job is very unproductive all around.
  • KoolGuyL 2011/10/22 00:10:00
    KoolGuyL
  • Joanne 2011/10/22 00:07:45
    I ride the fence on this question......
    Joanne
    +1
    Can't say for sure, but if the gap gets any wider, I'm gonna fall in head first. Ha ha. (The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.)
  • RJeffreySavlov 2011/10/21 23:48:30
    RJeffreySavlov
    +1
    Fiscal Conservatism is the belief that the federal government has powers limited by the constitution as it was written. The government has become a behemoth and is chewing up way too much of our financial resources. It has overstepped its responsibilities, has interferred in State rights and regulated all of us into the poor house. We must not feal conservative values or liberal desires to help those unable or no longer able to help themselves. We Must Fear progressivism which is on a treck to destroy all that has made our country great and replace it with a system by which we would all be dependent on the government. This is a socialism which destroyed Germany in the 1930's & 1940's. Beware Those bearing Gifts.....
  • Matt 2011/10/21 23:25:35
    Matt
    +1
    No ! Widening the gap is the goal of Republicans and Democrats. Conservatives have very little representation in our government. Liberals have almost none.
  • TheMadChameleon 2011/10/21 23:05:23
    I ride the fence on this question......
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    I don't think it is intended to be. Any system, if abused or improperly implemented, can widen the wealth gap.

2014/08/01 18:08:56