Is Congress capable of addressing the problems of the modern world?

L.A. Times 2013/01/15 16:00:00
Revolutionary changes are coming at us at supersonic speed, bringing new challenges that are existential and global. Yet our political system seems incapable of adapting to, or even fully acknowledging, those changes. Instead, the system is constricted by ideas and attitudes better suited to the 19th century.

In the current issue of Vanity Fair, Todd Purdum equates the current era with the decades before and after 1500 during which the New World was discovered and explored, trade became a global enterprise, the Reformation broke the religious monopoly of the Roman Catholic Church, the feudal system gave way to nation states and movable type and the printing press created the first form of mass communication.

congress

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticke...

• danny 2013/01/28 20:09:55
    danny
    HOW TO BE SAVED AND START A NEW LIFE IN JESUS!

Dear reader, it’s by God’s mercy to exist to this time, Satan’s plan for us is to die in sin and doom forever in hell fire. Without genuine salvation, there is no way we can escape the judgment of God, so count it as a great privilege to have this opportunity, and so you need to make the best use of it for your salvation and new life in Jesus.

How can you have genuine salvation that will guarantee eternal life with Jesus and grant you the grace to overcome sin, Satan and self? Please follow the following steps:

No Excuse, but admit it.

If truly you need God’s mercy to pardon your sins and give you grace to overcome them, then you need to face it by yourself and acknowledge your sin. Don’t excuse sin because everybody is doing it - in your church (even your pastors, parents or partners), in your family, in your place of work, etc. Don’t says, “Does that means everybody doing it will go to hell fire?” Yes, everybody can go to hell and God will still be righteous. Jesus said instead of you to be thinking how many will be saved, YOU strife to be saved NOW. Don’t excuse sin because of its popularity, it’s in person - you, face it. And sin is sin, either small or great, there is no difference, you just be sincere and confess it.
    ...

No Excuse, but admit it.

Psalm 51:3

For I acknowledge my transgressions,

And my sin is always before me.

4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,

And done this evil in Your sight

Make a Genuine Confession

Do you wonder why you’ve made several confessions of your sins and yet you still have guilt of those sins, you still go back into such sins, and your salvation is not certain or you find yourself going back into your sins? It’s simple: you didn’t make genuine confession. Genuine confession is not just using the name of Jesus, not answering alter call and so on. Take the next 2 steps that lead you to genuine salvation in Jesus Christ:

First Repent before You confess.

There are many fake confessions, but if you sincerely want to make acceptable confession, you must first repent. No need for you to confess if there is no repentance in you. Repentance is thoughtful realization of your sins and determination to forsake them. If you confess without readiness to forsake the sins you confess, you are simply wasting your time, and the sins will soon get you down. To repent is not to be sorry for your sins, if you are sorry without readiness to forsake all, you will have a sorry case and that is not a genuine salvation. Humble yourself before God now and surrender all.

Proverbs 28:13 He who covers his sins will not prosper,

But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

Pray It All

Now all you need to do is to go before in prayer as you confess your sins and ask God to forgive you through His Son Jesus Christ. Tell Him you are sorry for how you have lived and all you have done, ask Him to cleanse you by the Blood of Jesus and give you a new heart and a new spirit. He will do it as He has promised in His Word saying, “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:8-9.

Now is the time for your salvation! Do not delay further, do it now, don’t allow Satan to distract or delay you, because another chance may not come. You can pray the prayer for the next 5 to 10 minutes.

Have you prayed the prayer for your salvation? Then let me pray with you:

“Lord Jesus, thank You for dying for our sins, thank You for coming to seek us and counting us worthy to be saved. You promised that if we come to You, You will not cast us away; that if we admit and confess our sins, no mater how many and how terrible, You will forgive and cleanse us. So I pray for this beloved, as s/he has repented, confessed and asked for Your forgiveness, save her/him and give her/him a new nature of Yours to live for You from today. Thank You Lord because You have answered, for we prayed in Jesus name. Amen.”

Now You Are saved!

Now, you are saved, you are born again with a new life by Jesus Christ. You need to start the new life guided by God’s Word. You have to disassociate and detach yourself from old lifestyle; old things that are not according to God’s Word and friendship that can pull you back to old life in sin. The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” You can’t continue in your old lifestyle anymore, you are now a genuine, heaven recognized child of God and your life must be guided by His Word. You need to be reading Bible every day and praying about your new life. You should be reading at least 2 chapters of Bible everyday and take time to pray for your spiritual growth and daily strength; you can start from Matthew chapter 1. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding before you read and pray after you finish reading. Pray for God’s grace and Spirit to live daily according to His word and to overcome every temptation on your way, and be watchful every time at every situation in your new life in Jesus!

As you have now started a new life in Christ Jesus, heaven is rejoicing over you as your name is written in the Book of Life. Look only unto Jesus, not any man or any pastor. There are many false teachings everywhere because we are in end time, so let the Bible be your supreme guide!
  • Scrappyang 2013/01/25 13:53:54
    Scrappyang
    But the majority need to get their heads out the sand and actually see where the problems lay.
  • Flash Gordon 2013/01/19 21:58:31
    Flash Gordon
    +1
    Yes! But does Congress have the backbone? Backbone
  • Wolf 2013/01/19 19:48:38
    Wolf
    +1
    The House can and has done so but the Senate has not operated in the last four years---
  • marty 2013/01/19 17:07:31
    marty
    +1
    They only know how to create laws that further hinder the people; having a government that actually serves the people goes against their ideals.
  • iamnothere 2013/01/17 22:08:30
    iamnothere
    +1
    they are only capable of putting their hands out to the highest bidder
  • mm61675 2013/01/17 21:41:30
    mm61675
    +3
    not til they get their head out of their asses
  • Apache 2013/01/17 21:01:59 (edited)
  • Charles White 2013/01/17 19:55:04
    Charles White
    Hell NO! ! ! It is not Congress that is living in the past, but it is just the Republicans living in the past. The Republican parties need new ideas, more diversity and have more compassion for the working poor and middle class American.
  • syl 2013/01/17 19:14:10
    syl
    +2
    They're too money driven-so they are corrupted by their campaign donors & big money.

So is the President. Great picture, by the way.
  • John Walker II 2013/01/17 19:03:14
    John Walker II
    Not as long as a partisan system exists that funnels people of their choosing into elected offices. No.
  • TerryAgee 2013/01/17 18:30:39
    TerryAgee
    +2
    Congress is the image of the people they represent. This means that Congress is corrupt because we are corrupt. First, we must be capable of addressing the problems here. Yay or nay?
  • Boudicea 2013/01/17 17:39:48
    Boudicea
    +2
    Congress isn't capable of addressing a Christmas CArd
  • Chris D 2013/01/17 16:27:40
    Chris D
    We need a new system because the one we have no longer works....maybe we should vote on that in congress :)
  • rcardon 2013/01/17 16:16:47
    rcardon
    As it currently operates, no, Congress is not able to effectively deal with the issues of a modern age. However, I think, if you maintained the same system, but put in a whole new group, and told them only the rules of how many people made up a "majority", dissolved the parties, and told them they had to stay in session until all the issues on the table were dealt with, specifically the government budget, but told them nothing else of how the older group did it, it might work better.
    I think we have too many people too entrenched in their way of doing things, they've forgotten the way it was meant to work.
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/01/17 16:05:33
  • JOMO 2013/01/17 15:05:31
    JOMO
    This is another one of those questions that can be viewed as a trick question... Here is why..., emotions are riding high here on America as a result of the failure of congress to do their job over the past four in a half years....

Well now less look at this situation from a different perspective..., congress have been very successful in their efforts to achieve their focused objective which is to do nothing to ensure Obama failure.... Which means.., when congress focus their efforts toward their objective they can in fact get something done... So yes congress is very capable of addressing the problems of the modern world...

Now I will admit there is room for an argument to the opposite because their efforts to try and destroy Obama just because he is a BLACK PRESIDENT has failed miserably... But even so they are united in their efforts... Just think how much better off America would be if we the people were getting what we are paying congress for to do...

Instead they are unified in their efforts to sit on their ass and do absolutely nothing except filibuster..Now how educated or intelligent do you have to be to do nothing.., there are literally hundred of thousands of people across America standing around doing nothing everyday that can do this job.

I have said it before and I will say it again... AMERICA...., WE ARE BEING PIMPED....!JOMO
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/01/17 16:07:38
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/01/17 16:52:11 (edited)
    JOMO
    +2
    I expected this kind of a response from members of the conservative here on SodaHead.., and although this is off topic it is an absolute fact that Boehner and his racist ass crew are doing that in the history of America no congress have never done to any other president....

Namely on the day of Obama first inauguration the republicans pledged to make him a one term president.... Even at the expense of the American people suffering due to none performance...They have called this man none American.., accused him of not having a birth certificate... Never in my life time have I ever witness an American president being accused of such.... Any way you want to slice it.., that is racist.., right here on SadaHead I have seen cut and paste art renditions of Obama as a monkey and an African with a bone through his nose.... Now if that is not racist then as a black man I do not know what is...

Bottom line.., it make me wonder about who you are and what you stand for.., I'm not calling you anything but only a racist could look at what is happing to Obama and not see it as racist...I'm jay saying...JOMO
  • John Wa... JOMO 2013/01/17 19:05:51
    John Walker II
    +1
    As long as people are more willing to draw battle lines then they are to work with others who don't share their opinion, congress will continue like it is.

Once we stop electing fanatics and party puppets to congress, maybe we'll get somewhere.
  • JOMO John Wa... 2013/01/18 01:53:22
    JOMO
    I agree with you John...and please understand it is not my intention to make or find excuses for Obama. And it in not my intention to point my finger at congress in hopes of finding fault...And anyone that knows me knows that I am the last person in the world to pull the race care...

In fact I happen to think My race is the most racist people in America...even so that dose no preclude those that are guilty of conducting the same behavior from being guilty.. And the old head in the republican congress is as guilty as guilty can get where being racist is concern where it pertains to Obama...

It is the American people that is suffering as a result of their behavior...JOMO
  • watusiw... JOMO 2013/01/18 01:15:19
    watusiwaldo
    +1
    They are a bunch of losers. The have no shame. I'm embarassed being on the same planet as these RWNJs.
  • JOMO watusiw... 2013/01/18 01:58:25
    JOMO
    +2
    Well it is the Republican party that is imploding on themselves as a result of their hatred and old school selfish behavior..And it is the American people that is paying the price....And for that I am sadden.., at some point even those that choose to insist on looking though hate filled glasses will find themselves face to face with a pleasant awakening that respect dose not have a color.., it simply is...JOMO
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/01/30 02:08:43
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/01/30 20:36:40
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/01/31 02:03:27
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    You give cretins like Bush and Obama WAY too much credit. THEY aren't keeping my ass safe from anything. They are the problem with this country, and none of their proposed "solutions" are going to make anything better. If you want to believe that, fine. I know better.
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/01/31 15:22:49
    JOMO
    Ok..., so less say for the sake of argument you are right about Bush and Obama.... You still have said nothing of your own proposal (s)..., that will sever the concerns of the United States.... You see Steve it is easy for arm chair quarterbacks to complain and criticise others......

I am absolutely certain that if you were to provide a doable workable proposal to those that matter it would be strongly considered..

You see there is one thing if nothing else you have revealed about yourself if nothing else.. And that is you only look at life through shaded glasses.., even if what you say about Bush and Obama were true there is still a valuable lessen to be gained if no more than how no to do something.....

Your denial that neither president has kept your ass safer is beyond sad, since 911 the biggest act of terror here in America has come at the hands of twisted mined American's right here at home....

At this point I now better understand the kind of person I have been trying to have a intelligent conversation with.... I am of the opinion this conversation will never sever a purpose other than to allow you the opportunity to try and justify your self serving opinion... So go on and get your last word in as to give you the feeling that you are right or you won what you seem to think is a debate.....JOMO
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/02/05 01:42:46
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    What makes you think I care about you, or your opinion? LOL
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/02/05 14:20:24 (edited)
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/02/05 23:44:06
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    You really are full of yourself, you know that? LOL
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/02/06 01:29:26
    JOMO
    Steve...., Thanks again for your so very intelligent observation.., it is no wonder America is in such a shamble with such a great mind as yours going to waste....Just give me the word and I will notify secret service as to this oversight.....Still SMH....JOMO
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/02/06 03:05:37
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Will you please go away? I didn't ask for your profile, nor do I want it. As I said before, if you choose to believe that the cretins who wander the halls of Congress and the White House are honestly interested in your well being then that is your prerogative. If you don't like my view on them then deal with it, because nothing you say is going to change my mind.
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/02/06 23:05:30
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/02/10 21:26:56
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/02/11 01:47:16
  • Steve ☮... JOMO 2013/02/11 04:27:40
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Wow, you really got me good there JOMO. I have no retort to counter your amazing comedic abilities. I'm humbled, really I am. You're just so much smarter than I am, I guess.

Now go keep on trusting those government "rulers" you so love and I'll keep relishing in the knowledge that you're one stupid and ignorant fool.

And don't bother blocking me, this will be my last reply to your idiocy. You can have the last word as that is what YOU relish. I'm finished with this pointless debate. Goodbye.
  • JOMO Steve ☮... 2013/02/11 14:13:05
    JOMO
    Well Steve I don't block handicap individual's which is why you are still here and I am still indulging you...So check and check mate....Goodby and have a food life....
  • J Brian 2013/01/17 14:49:09
    J Brian
    Our Congress doesnt seem capable of much at all. They are completely ut of touch with the American People and the World.
  • gregory.brown.5030 2013/01/17 09:46:26
    gregory.brown.5030
    I've always been a fan of the saying," Any man who seeks public office should be immediately barred from hold public office". You have to ask why anyone would spend several million dollars to gain an office that only pays $200,000. My thought is that they are more power hungry than smart. In addition, I would propose a mandatory retirement age of 60 years old for national elected officials and term restrictions. Maybe no more than three times in public office with the same office not held two times in succession. It would cut down on their ability to create an empire of corruption. The President would of course be allowed two terms in case we are war at the time.
  • watusiwaldo 2013/01/17 05:55:21
    watusiwaldo
    Their personal agendas supercede the problems of the modern world.

2014/07/28 10:38:09