Is Chuck Hagel a Good Pick as the Next Secretary of Defense?

ABC News U.S. 2013/01/07 12:20:37
Two weeks before his inauguration, and with more "fiscal cliffs" on the horizon, President Obama is embracing a showdown with Congress over his pick to lead the Pentagon in his second term. Obama nominates former Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel to be the next Secretary of Defense at a formal White House announcement Monday. The president will name counterterrorism advisor John Brennan as the new CIA director to replace David Petraeus, rounding out an overhaul of his national security team.

chuck hagel

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/president-obam...

• Nikola Tesla 2013/01/12 21:49:54 (edited)
    Nikola Tesla
    Israel is the greatest threat to world peace, bigger than North Korea and Iran. Micheal Scheuer former CIA intelligence officer warned us about sending our kids to wars for Israel. Shame on all the Christian-Zionist who are the enemy within and traders to Christ.
  • Nikola ... Nikola ... 2013/01/12 23:18:40
    Nikola Tesla
    +10
    One more important fact. Petraeus ended up on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s ‘destroy’ list after the general testified before Congress on March 16, 2010, that U.S. interests and Israeli interests are not identical; Israel is a strategic burden, not an asset, to the United States; and Israeli policies endanger the lives of our troops.
  • Wolf 2013/01/12 15:38:52
    Wolf
    Total Incompetence like Comrade Obama---
  • DavideShalome 2013/01/10 20:00:35
    DavideShalome
    He will weaken America and Iran will see our weakness
  • Frank 2013/01/10 19:17:19
    Frank
    Hagel in the past has been anti military, so why would you appoint him? Let me guess he is a republican so if anything goes wrong Obama can blame the Republicans.....
  • JCD aka... Frank 2013/01/11 08:47:42
    JCD aka "biz"
    He was twice awarded the Purple Hearts for wounds suffered in Vietnam. He is not an armchair hero.
  • Frank JCD aka... 2013/01/11 23:04:53
    Frank
    I know, but he has in the past been anti military is all I was saying. Personally I don't know the man other than his past remarks. He might make a great Secretary of Defense, or not......
  • LeroyRogers 2013/01/10 18:46:30
    LeroyRogers
    +1
    barry's puppet.
  • always in trouble 2013/01/10 17:19:39
    always in trouble
    According to Israel he isn't
  • JCD aka... always ... 2013/01/11 08:48:24
    JCD aka "biz"
    Does the far-right Israeli government run America? I don't think so.
  • always ... JCD aka... 2013/01/11 13:35:12 (edited)
    always in trouble
    If he goes against Israel? We are in trouble. Israel is the apple of God's eyes.
  • JCD aka... always ... 2013/01/12 10:10:19
    JCD aka "biz"
    Netanyahu is the "apple of God's eyes"???
  • always ... JCD aka... 2013/01/12 20:03:59 (edited)
    always in trouble
    If he hasn't received Jesus as His Messiah? He has until death. If he has not accepted then. He will wish he did.
  • Isabel Perez 2013/01/10 17:14:59
    Isabel Perez
    +1
    Here is a man who will use war as a last resort! He knows the absolute horrors going to war will cost us. I don't mean money wise. I'm tired of the cost of war to many brave young men and women are losing their lives! Surely we must value of brave military more then that! I remember in the 80's being to,d by our sergeants said, never again will are military will let another Vietnam happen again. we Were promised never to send our people without the everything need to be the most technical and overwhelming support for our troops! That Congess and the President will keep the faith to it's military and only use them as a last resort! I believe this man will keep that faith!
  • firelooker 2013/01/10 17:05:33
    firelooker
    +1
    He's another "The US is bad" person who supports our enemies & hates our allies.That's why Obama chose him, just like all his other picks. They are all Socialist/ Communist who want to destroy this country.
  • JCD aka... firelooker 2013/01/11 08:49:44
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    He is a "Communist" who was twice awarded the Purple Heart in Vietnam. Must be a typical "commie"! lol
  • firelooker JCD aka... 2013/01/11 17:05:59
    firelooker
    Just like John Carrie
  • JCD aka... firelooker 2013/01/12 10:09:19
    JCD aka "biz"
    "John Carrie" is a musician, right? I just googled the man's name.
  • firelooker JCD aka... 2013/01/14 18:13:19
    firelooker
    +1
    Okay wise ass, I screwed up the spelling of that traitors name. I meant John Kerry who should have been shot as a traitor to his country.
  • john Kills 2013/01/10 16:57:24
    john Kills
    +1
    screw chuck
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2013/01/10 10:39:06
    ivegotloveinmypants
    If he can do the job that he is being paid to do, then he is a good nomination.
  • Paul 2013/01/10 10:19:08
    Paul
    +1
    Sure he's just as bad of a choice as Obama was.....we're on a roll...
  • Mark 2013/01/10 06:13:43
    Mark
    +3
    Must conservatives bitch at every cabinet appointment? This guy is from the old republican school of foreign policy: H.W. Bush, Colin Powell, etc. You should like him. Besides, like WaPo said, "If Republicans want to choose cabinet positions, then win an election."
  • ivegotl... Mark 2013/01/10 10:41:21
    ivegotloveinmypants
    Republicans don't like him because they claim that he is anti-Israel. Apparently, he refused to enter the bi-partisan conference on the case of Israel, and claimed that he wasn't intimindated by the Jewish lobby. Commentary Magazine have been slagging him off for ages...

http://www.commentarymagazine...
  • firelooker ivegotl... 2013/01/10 17:07:03
    firelooker
    +1
    He also supports Iran.
  • ivegotl... firelooker 2013/01/14 14:19:23
    ivegotloveinmypants
    I do not support Iran because their leader made some anti-Semitic comments, but neither do I support Israel's wisdom in advocating a military raid on the Iranias, or the American's in following that. And liberal Jews would agree with me.
  • firelooker ivegotl... 2013/01/14 18:14:53
    firelooker
    What would you do if you were surrounded by your enemies, all who felt you had no right to exist?
  • ivegotl... firelooker 2013/01/15 14:18:51
    ivegotloveinmypants
    It sounds pathetic, but peace talks are the only way. I have never believed, adn will never believe that military action will work- it is rash, and leads to needless deaths on both sides. Non violent action gave success to civil rights activits, peace activists, anti-colonial activists, and eventually, I hope it will work here. Military action will only convince Israel's enemies that Israel should be 'wiped off the map'. A disgusting comment.
  • firelooker ivegotl... 2013/01/15 18:45:56
    firelooker
    Every time Israel has gone to the peace table & agreed to a peaceful solution her enemy's were always the first to violate the agreement. The Palestinian didn't even wait 3 days after the last talks b4 they started launching rockets into Israel. What was Israel supposed to do? sit there and take it w/o retaliating?
  • ivegotl... firelooker 2013/01/16 12:50:29
    ivegotloveinmypants
    You raise a valid point, that is difficult to counter. But I insist that two wrongs do not make a right. The atrocities that the Palestinians are committing should not be countered by atrocities from the Israeli's because they are making life very difficult for the Palestinians. That is morally wrong to me. Retaliation, while appearing to be the only viable option has only served to weaken relations, and increase hatred. On the plus side, the strongest army in the region is Israeli, so hopefully these attacks on Israel's right to exist- which I remind you, I believe in- should be spaced further and further apart.
  • firelooker ivegotl... 2013/01/16 18:16:47
    firelooker
    +1
    The arms dealers don't want to see peace between nations. It's bad for business.
  • always ... firelooker 2013/02/15 07:57:21
    always in trouble
    Don't worry about Israel's enemies, They won't always. be around. Jesus will sweep through the Heavens and will obliterate the enemies. Then the rest will beat the swords in to plow shares and spears in to pruning hooks. They will not learn war anymore.
  • Mountaineer 2013/01/10 02:56:08
    Mountaineer
    +2
    Thr real question here isn't if this guy is a good or bad choice, but rather why does Obama want this Republican as the Secretary of Defense.

There are 2 reasons for that.

#1 His views coinside with Obama's in that both of them want to weaken America and its standing in the world.

#2 Obama thinks that the Republicans in the Senate may approve him for the job because he is a Republican.
  • ivegotl... Mountai... 2013/01/10 10:42:02
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +2
    Obama wants to weaken America...how? Can you explain?
  • Kookiel... ivegotl... 2013/01/10 11:50:54
  • ivegotl... Kookiel... 2013/01/10 12:30:24
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +2
    As usual.
  • Isabel ... Mountai... 2013/01/10 17:18:29 (edited)
    Isabel Perez
    +1
    See jumping to a conclusion without any proof! What good will it do to weaken America! That accusation is both false and makes no sense. What human being wants his or her country to fail!
  • firelooker Isabel ... 2013/01/11 17:11:45
    firelooker
    Obama does! He wants to destroy Amewrica & rebuild it into a socialist/ communist nation w/ him & all the other good socialist/ communists in charge.
  • always ... firelooker 2013/01/12 20:09:34 (edited)
    always in trouble
    I disagree communist/socialist. islamic country. U.S of islam.
  • al firelooker 2013/01/13 06:03:34
    al
    Your statement is silly, Think about what your saying..a 2 term President of the United States has worked so hard to be elected so he can destroy the country he is in charge of! What would be the point? and how is he possibly gonna sneak by you?
    Don't be so scared and help Our country help itself!!

2014/04/17 10:03:37