Is Capitalism mentioned in the Constitution?

bob 2011/10/12 19:09:46
Related Topics: Constitution, Capitalism
The word "Capitalism" mentioned in the Constitution in .....
The word "Capitalism" is not mentioned in the Constitution
Capitalism is implied in the Constitution in ....
The constitution mentions "Free Enterprise" in ....
The constitution is for commerce only
I've heard many people who quote the constitution with out ever reading the constitution

• Tom 2011/10/12 19:11:53
    I've heard many people who quote the constitution with out ever reading the c...
    Tom
    +6
    Ignorance KILLS liberty - Know your Constitution, your Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Don't take someone's word for it, READ it.

• gbudavid 2011/10/18 20:58:14
    gbudavid
    +1
    For the reason "capitalism" is not in the U.S. Constitution is that no one at the time of the American founding had ever heard of any such thing. Private property, of course, they knew about, and there is quite a lot about that in the Constitution -- especially about protecting it from government predation. But capitalism? No, sorry. Doesn't ring any bells. How could it? The term was a later invention of socialists
    http://spectator.org/archives...
  • tornado 2011/10/18 17:45:22
    tornado
    +1
    Some corporations cherry pick the constitution and labor laws like they do the bible, take it all out of context, play monopoly and class warfare with their workforce and end up destroying their companies. Sometimes they confuse capitalism with socialism. They are two very different things.
    classwarfare
  • 81sp 2011/10/16 21:19:54
    81sp
    +1
    actually the word is not mentioned, but one can make a case that it is implied.
    however capitalism have different forms and meanings to different people.
  • Mikel_mad2002 2011/10/16 08:31:53
    Mikel_mad2002
    +1
    I remember doing a worksheet on the Constitution in the 7th grade. Don't remember seeing the word capitalism.
  • Bothergirl 2011/10/14 05:29:39
    Bothergirl
    +1
    It is part of the pursuit of happiness and Liberty.
    same thing
  • bob Andrew 2011/10/14 15:09:57
    bob
    nope
  • I've heard many people who quote the constitution with out ever reading the c...
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    This is almost universal with any important text, people claim to be an authority but when I look up a couple paragraphs or so of 'it', they turn out to ignoramuses. the word 'Capitalism' dates to 1877, almost a century after the Constitution was penned. It mentions 'pursuit of happiness' but that does not mean that the wealthy can freely scam the general public out of what little they have with impunity and often with the tacit (read: bought off) approval of the State. What you (the U$) think is Democracy, is actually a plutocratic oligarchy (an aristocracy [the best chosen among themselves] of the Über-rich) who have a "let them eat cake" attitude to anybody who actually needs to work for a living.
  • Michael... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2011/10/14 04:56:05
    Michael Hertel
    +1
    Pursuit of happiness is not in constitution but declaration of independance, too bad it is not in constitution it would allow a person to use any drug that they wanted if we had a stated right in the constitution to pursue happiness.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Michael... 2011/10/22 12:43:36
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    The drugs should be regulated in EXPONENTIAL (not Direct) proportion to the disruption they do to Orderly Society.
  • Michael... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2011/10/22 20:40:14
    Michael Hertel
    In the declaration of independance Jefferson put in that everyone had a God given right to pursue happiness, without that do you in effect have any freedom? Just because the government does not like the things which happen when you exercise your freedoms does not mean that you should not have them.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Michael... 2011/11/19 18:08:09
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    But if your particular FREEDOM (Vice?) has a well-documented record of deleterious effects on Orderly Society then THEY should/ought [to] be regulated in (better than direct) Proportion to thus Anticipated Disruption.
  • Spyderman739 2011/10/13 23:34:39
    Spyderman739
    +2
    As far as I'm aware, the Constitution does not state what form our economy should take, only the rights and responsibilities of citizens and how to protect them.
  • goblue1968 2011/10/13 23:23:10
    goblue1968
    +1
    I couldn't find the word "capitalism" anywhere in the Constitution the last time I read all of it, so the correct answer to this question is NO!

However, the Founders were interested in setting up a government which permitted the most individual freedom which had ever been granted to its citizens in the history of the world up to that time. That in turn allowed more individuals to devise more ways to create more wealth than had ever before been possible. And capitalism was (and still is) the most efficient way of generating wealth out of the ingenuity of man--government does not create any wealth, just determines how it wants it distributed for "the general Welfare" (and those words ARE actually mentioned in the Constitution)!
  • Armchair Commando 2011/10/13 22:14:45
    Armchair Commando
    +1
    I keep my Constitution right here on my desk. It doesn't mention capitalism but it is there to protect our freedoms, including the freedom to engage in commerce and make a profit with as little interference from the government as possible.
  • Average American by Cory Merry 2011/10/13 13:58:32
    Average American by Cory Merry
    +1
    Freedom suggests one would not be a slave nor mandated to stay poor. Capitalism is by far the most efficient means of building wealth in history. So while it is not mentioned the implication of freedom to pursue one's dreams would negate most other forms of economy.
  • bob Average... 2011/10/13 14:28:32
    bob
    true. althought the question still stands unanswered
  • Average... bob 2011/10/13 20:53:44
    Average American by Cory Merry
    I guess I did forget that point... NO it is not.
  • tea for... Average... 2011/10/13 14:45:23
    tea for you
    +1
    Capitalism is great way to achive money. What is needed to stop sociopaths that are attracted to Capitalism is to tether the beast to protect you and small business from abuse of the system.We have seen what happens to the average investor and small business person when the beast is let loose . Depressions, recessions , inflation, unemployment, sub-prime scams and the like
  • VT 2011/10/13 12:19:32
    VT
    +1
    Lies and greed. We have gone far away from the constitution
  • bob VT 2011/10/13 14:28:55
    bob
    yep
    It may be implied in some form or otehr but not directly stated.
  • bob Mike 2011/10/13 14:29:17 (edited)
    bob
    only if you imply it
  • WGN 2011/10/13 12:08:24
    WGN
    +3
    Capitalism is neither mentioned or implied in the Constitution as the economic system that the country should/would/could use. The Constitution only lays out the framework for a governmental system, and the gaurantees of the rights of the people.
  • bob WGN 2011/10/13 14:29:44
    bob
    yep
  • goblue1968 WGN 2011/10/13 23:28:26
    goblue1968
    +2
    Right On!!

I get so frustrated with all the folks who think they find things in the Constitution which aren't there (at least specifically stated). And then, they go to the court system to find some judge who will make it up so they can come back and say, "See, there it is"!
  • WGN goblue1968 2011/10/13 23:30:28
    WGN
    Nicely put!
  • flyings... WGN 2011/10/16 02:44:39
    flyingseaturtle BN
    Eloquently put.
  • Sadisticon 2011/10/13 12:01:09
    Sadisticon
  • Rudy 2011/10/13 07:07:56
    Rudy
    +1
    not that I know of
    +1
    Nope, and it is very evident that most people only know so little about the Constitution.
  • Doug 2011/10/13 06:57:36
    Doug
    +1
    Read it.
  • cybernestical 2011/10/13 05:03:08
    cybernestical
  • LauraLeeHall 2011/10/13 04:31:51
    LauraLeeHall
    +1
    The word Capitalism is not in the constitution. It also isn't implied. Mainly, I find that the constitution is more about the laws in general. Not how people are supposed to make money. It mentions how the government is supposed to get money but not individual people.
  • RobJohn LauraLe... 2011/10/13 07:24:40
    RobJohn
    How else would free people make a living in a free country? A free country requires free markets
  • D Robert Burroughs 2011/10/13 04:14:59
    D Robert Burroughs
    once again Bob you have shown a complete lack of understanding of both economics and the Constitution
  • bob D Rober... 2011/10/13 14:31:42
    bob
    ouch. I've read the constitution multible times and discussed it's meanings in the Boy Scouts. So are you going to answer the question?
  • juskro92 2011/10/13 04:07:53
    juskro92
    +1
    No, the word "capitalism" is not mentioned in the constitution. However, the constitution does not grant any parts of the government power to regulate how a business runs itself. It also does not grant the government power to own a company. So i guess it is implied, but at the same time, when the constitution was written, large companies did not exist in particular.
  • tea for... juskro92 2011/10/13 14:50:14
    tea for you
    Business isn't mentioned and isn't discussed on any of the founders documents. Business is at our pleasure and not given any power whatsoever . Business is regulated at the goverments discretion .The founders did this purposely after the great indian tea company scam. you remember the revolution
  • juskro92 tea for... 2011/10/13 18:50:42
    juskro92
    Yes. I 100% agree. Would you say that having our government own companies illegal? Also, would you say having our government tell businesses what to do illegal (not what they can't do, but what they have to do)

2014/10/31 08:38:38