Is being a parent outside of traditional marriage child abuse?

Tea in the Harbor 2012/03/25 17:49:07
Yes it's abuse, if you aren't identicle to me you have no rights!
The GOP war on women amounts to sunset falling on freedom
I'm not going to commit because I'm ashamed of what I think.
That's what a new law introduced by a Wisconsin State Senator says, that anything outside of the traditional Christian family model is child abuse. All the science and related studies of course say he's wrong, and he offers no evidence of being right, but he still thinks we all need to accept his proposal as factual. Nobody needs to be questioning him.

Even the Senator knows his idea is too whacked out to be acceptable to the public, using the term "politically incorrect" rather than the more accurate term of morally reprehensible, but that didn't stop him from giving it a try.

Since the vast majority of single parents are women, the proposal fits nicely into the GOP's nationwide push to target them for special regulation in dozens of ways, this time as a source of child abuse, even though no evidence of it exists in decades of study.

If we were to accept the Senator's argument, it would make a good basis for an eventual argument that outlawing single, gay, or unmarried parenting in order to reduce child abuse should be considered. That would leave the traditional Christian family as the only form acceptable for procreation, and maybe the hope is that since the rest could no longer have children their ideals would die off in a generation or two.

Wisconsin Lawmaker Introduces Law To Classify Single Parenthood As Child Abuse

2012_03_07_glenn_grothman.jpg
Photo via Grothman's website.
Wisconsin state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend) has introduced a bill demonizing single parents by classifying them as child abusers.

Senate Bill 507 specifically requires "the Child Abuse and Neglect
Prevention Board to emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a contributing
factor to child abuse and neglect."

A third of Wisconsin parents are single parents,
but this law affects even more than that. The way the law refers to
"nonmarital parenthood" also makes this applicable to non-married
couples, including same-sex couples. S.B. 507 reads:

Section 1. 48.982 (2) (g) 2. of the statutes is amended to
read: 48.982 (2) (g) 2. Promote statewide educational and public
awareness campaigns and materials for the purpose of developing public
awareness of the problems of child abuse and neglect. In promoting
those campaigns and materials, the board shall emphasize nonmarital
parenthood as a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.

Section 2. 48.982 (2) (g) 4. of the statutes is amended to read:
48.982 (2) (g) 4. Disseminate information about the problems of and
methods of preventing child abuse and neglect to the public and to
organizations concerned with those problems. In disseminating that
information, the board shall emphasize nonmarital parenthood as a
contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.

Read More: http://chicagoist.com/2012/03/07/wi_grothman_paren...

• Bastion 2468 2012/03/25 20:36:04
    Bastion
    +5
    But I'm thinkin' the same thing.

I really don't see the generation that went through the 60's and 70's lying down for this kind of fascist oppression - and the new media may spread fear, misinformation and hate but it also spreads facts and reason to a young generation that won't go back.
  • Lady Wh... Bastion 2012/03/26 09:55:38
    +2
    well said!
  • Lady Wh... Bastion 2012/03/26 09:55:01
    +3
    "ALL reproduction and sexuality is PRIVATE..."

The GOP doesn't think so.... and we WOMEN will pay for it....
  • Lulu's Mom 2012/03/25 18:29:42
    Lulu's Mom
    +9
    This is just too stupid. Oh wait aren't we talking about the GOP? Never mind.
  • Gยเtคг ... Lulu's Mom 2012/03/25 20:10:13
  • 2468 Lulu's Mom 2012/03/25 20:20:17
    2468
    +5
    acceptable stupid

An elephant is down....
  • Lulu's Mom 2468 2012/03/25 20:25:21
  • Leah 2012/03/25 18:20:26
    Leah
    +12
    There is nothing wrong with being a single parent. And many people are not single parents by choice.
  • melly~t... Leah 2012/03/26 14:09:53
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +2
    Single parents work harder than anybody.
  • ed 2012/03/25 18:19:08
    ed
    +8
    They can't be that stupid to keep going after women.Don't they realize this is going to cost them.
  • Tea in ... ed 2012/03/25 18:55:00
    Tea in the Harbor
    +9
    To be honest, I think they believe that Citizen's United gives them so much of an advantage that they can't be beaten.

It doesn't matter how angry they make people because they think they'll have as much control over the general election as they do over their primaries. Look what they've done there, if there's one thing GOP voters made pretty clear, it's that they want someone other than Mitt Romney on the ticket. Did it matter?

Nope.
  • ed Tea in ... 2012/03/25 20:28:33
    ed
    +4
    I agree but I don't see romney winning the nomination and even if he does he will lose as bad as I hate to say it.
  • Tea in ... ed 2012/03/25 20:38:16
    Tea in the Harbor
    +5
    I don't see anyone else winning it, and I think the other choices would do even worse in the general election.

Time will tell.
  • Gยเtคг ... ed 2012/03/25 20:09:08
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +8
    I think it may already have cost them. Do they realize how pissed off women really are right now. If i were to piss of a group of voters inthis country, it sure wouldn't be them
  • Nestofa... Gยเtคг ... 2012/03/27 05:24:24
    Nestofasssps
    +2
    I dont know how anyone can say that its Obama that is making America so divided. This isthe religious rights doing....and has been for two years, This goes beyond race, gender, religion, this is attempted control by one religion, without basis in the constitution and international law
  • Gยเtคг ... Nestofa... 2012/03/27 15:01:58
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    i agree. i however think it goes back to the Bush jr. years though, i think adding the tea party movement to the republican party just made things worse.
  • Nestofa... Gยเtคг ... 2012/03/27 19:35:45
    Nestofasssps
    +1
    It seems freedom and small government is a fairytale when it comes to controlling what OTHER people can do:)
  • Gยเtคг ... Nestofa... 2012/03/27 19:51:39
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    i agree. Thats why i see the right rufuses to see commoon ground, which is the reason they are losing support. We really need a party to help guide us back to the middle of the political spectrum.
  • Nestofa... Gยเtคг ... 2012/03/27 19:55:32
    Nestofasssps
    +2
    unfortunately that would entail thinking republicans, and right now I think most of the smart ones are to embarrassed to speak up..Let this bunch burn out before they can do any damage and rebuild from the wreckage.of religious radicals and racists
  • Gยเtคг ... Nestofa... 2012/03/27 19:56:33 (edited)
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    you are so wise :) great minds think alike
  • Rich 2012/03/25 18:11:40
    Rich
    +10
    The GOP continues to feed us the most ignorant garbage.
  • reaper 2012/03/25 18:11:31
    reaper
    +9
    and they say we are the ones pushing on to other people?
  • The GOP war on women amounts to sunset falling on freedom
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +9
    So when republicans claim they are for the constitution, what part of this is in the constitution? Lets get these jackass's removed and send their supporters to what is left of IRAQ, since thats where all of their oil is at
  • Lady Wh... Gยเtคг ... 2012/03/26 09:56:56
    +4
    hear ya!
  • Jay 2012/03/25 18:07:32
    Jay
    +9
    Am I the only one who things that American laws are sometimes outragious when they are trying to proclaim freedom. Wtf if a women is not married to the father of her child doesnt mean she is hurting the child. So lang as she raises the child right the gov and GOP can not say sh*t.
  • luvguins 2012/03/25 18:06:55
    luvguins
    +10
    More evidence that Republicans are certifiably insane. Oops, there goes his single unmarried parent votes by one third.
  • melly~thwarting Satan since... 2012/03/25 18:02:47 (edited)
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +12
    I'm shock proof at this point.

Sure, let's throw single mothers in jail. That will solve everything.
  • Sissy melly~t... 2012/03/26 10:54:09
    Sissy
    +2
    That's a great adjective to use right now mel...."shock proof". That pretty much says it all.
  • Tea in ... melly~t... 2012/03/26 13:23:00
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    Shock proof? How about a state senator who tells women they need to stay in abusive relationships, that they should "remember why they are there."

I don't mean to test your theory, but it's hard not to be shocked when you see things like this.
  • melly~t... Tea in ... 2012/03/26 14:06:27
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    I know...I read all about that. I'm numb at this point. I guess it's a coping mechanism. Who knew that because we elected a black President, that they would go after women? Who knew that in my 40's, I would be reduced to a second class citizen in the eyes of the GOP?
  • Tea in ... melly~t... 2012/03/26 15:43:08
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    I always thought our country would lead the way to freedom and fairness, it turns out almost half of us really suck.
  • Tea in ... melly~t... 2012/03/26 13:37:04
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    Sorry, the link is to a poll about another group the GOP wants control over. There's on here somewhere about that case but I can't find it right now.

I can find the statement the guy made however.

They can’t force absent fathers to start acting like responsible family men, and they can’t force single mothers to meet new (trustworthy, responsible, loving) men who will instantly marry them and help raise the kids. Perhaps what they’re trying to accomplish is to discourage unhappily married parents from breaking up, especially if the mother is thinking about leaving her husband because he abuses her:

“If they can refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help,” said Representative Don Pridemore.

Translation: “If your husband is beating you, it’s because you’ve forgotten about why you fell in love with him.”
  • melly~t... Tea in ... 2012/03/26 14:08:19
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +1
    Exactly. I've been reading the memoirs of Carolyn Jessop, who fled the FLDS. It's like "keeping sweet". And anything that is wrong in your life or marriage is automatically the woman's fault. We just aren't trying hard enough.
  • SassySalsera 2012/03/25 18:02:18
    SassySalsera
    +10
    Disgusting!
  • Sissy 2012/03/25 18:02:03
    Sissy
    +10
    Afterall that has happened in the State of Wis beginning with the election of Scott Walker and the steady assault on its people, why should we be surprised? In the end,

We will remember in November.
    +11
    Well that just cinched a Democrat landslide in Wisconsin in November. Every sinlge mother and sinlge father will vote to remove this state senator and vote for Obama as well. Good night Republican Party in Wisconsin.
  • Kirino 2012/03/25 17:59:52

2014/09/18 11:47:18