Is Ann Coulter right about Newt?

tncdel 2012/01/26 13:08:39
Here's what she says:

To talk with Gingrich supporters is to enter a world where words have no meaning. They denounce Mitt Romney as a candidate being pushed on them by "the Establishment" -- with "the Establishment" defined as anyone who supports Romney or doesn't support Newt.

Gingrich may have spent his entire life in Washington and be so much of an insider that, as Jon Stewart says, "when Washington gets its prostate checked, it tickles [Newt]," but he is deemed the rebellious outsider challenging "the Establishment" -- because, again, "the Establishment" is anyone who opposes Newt.

This is the sort of circular reasoning one normally associates with Democrats, people whom small-town pharmacists refer to as "drug seekers" and Ron Paul supporters.

Newtons claim Romney is a "moderate," and Gingrich the true conservative -- a feat that can be accomplished only by refusing to believe anything Romney says ... and also refusing to believe anything Gingrich says.

-- Romney's one great "flip-flop" is on abortion. (I thought the reason we argued with people about abortion was to try to get them to "flip-flop" on this issue. Sometimes it works!)

Nearly two decades ago, when Romney was trying to defeat champion desecrator of life Sen. Teddy Kennedy, he sought to remove abortion as a campaign issue by declaring that he, too, supported Roe v. Wade.

(Nonetheless, Kennedy ran a campaign commercial against him featuring a Mormon woman complaining that Romney, as a Mormon elder, had pressured her not to have an abortion, but to give the child up for adoption. Are you getting the idea that Massachusetts is different from the rest of America, readers?)

Romney changed his mind on abortion -- not when it was politically advantageous, but when it mattered. As governor of liberal, pro-choice Massachusetts, he vetoed an embryonic stem cell bill and "worked closely" with Massachusetts Citizens for Life. The president of MCL recently issued a statement saying that, "since being elected governor, Mitt Romney has had a consistent commitment to the culture of life."

He didn't defend his changed position by saying he was a "historian," or denounce people who raised the switch as "fundamentally" dishonest asking "absurd" questions, or go back and forth and back and forth. He just said he changed his mind.

Meanwhile, Gingrich, who has run for office only in a small, majority Republican, undoubtedly pro-life congressional district, lobbied President Bush to support embryonic stem cell research.

-- Romney is now the only remaining candidate for president who opposes amnesty for illegals. (Ever since President Bush's amnesty plan cratered on the shoals of public opposition, no Republican will ever use the word "amnesty," despite wanting to keep illegals here -- just as Democrats refuse to say "abortion," while supporting every manner of destroying human life.)

Romney supports E-Verify and a fence on the border. As governor he promoted English immersion programs for immigrants, signed an agreement with the federal government allowing state troopers to enforce federal immigration laws, and opposed efforts to give illegal immigrants in-state tuition or driver's licenses.

At the same time, Romney says he'd like to staple a green card to the diploma of every immigrant here on a student visa who gets a higher degree in math or science.

Gingrich supports importing a slave labor force from Mexico under a "guest worker" program and wants to create government "citizen review boards" to grant amnesty on a case-by-case basis (i.e. all at once) to illegal aliens.

-- Romney supports entitlement reform along the lines of the Paul Ryan plan, as he has said plainly, but without histrionics, in the debates.

Just last year, Gingrich went on "Meet the Press" and called Ryan's plan -- supported by nearly every House Republican -- "right-wing social engineering."

He apologized for those remarks, then took back his apology, still later doubled down, calling the Ryan plan "suicide," and now -- currently, but it could change any minute -- Gingrich supports Ryan's entitlement reform efforts.

For the latest updates on Newt's position on the Ryan plan, go to http//twitter.com/#whatcheapshotgrandstandymovewillworknow?

-- As for crony capitalism, Romney made all his money in the private sector by his own diligence and talent -- even giving away all the money he inherited from his parents. He's never lived in Washington or traded on access to government officials.

Meanwhile, without the federal government, Gingrich would be penniless. He has been in Washington since the '70s, first as a congressman, then becoming a rich man on the basis of having been a congressman.

Most egregiously, he took $1.6 million to shill for Freddie Mac, one of the two institutions directly responsible for the housing crash that caused the financial collapse. (Or one of three, if you consider Barney Frank an institution.)

If the tea party stands for anything, it stands in absolute opposition to government insiders shoring up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac at the very time those institutions were blowing up the economy.

-- Romney could not be more forceful in saying he will issue a 50-state waiver to Obamacare his first day in office and then seek its formal repeal. Whether you like a state-wide insurance mandate or not, it's a world of difference when the federal government does it. Conservatives, having read the Constitution, ought to understand this.

It was on account of the difference between state and federal powers that the Supreme Court overturned the federal Violence Against Women Act. The court was not endorsing rape, but reminding us that states make laws about rape, not Congress.

To act as if Obamacare is the same thing as "Romneycare" is just a word game, on the order of acting like a "gun" has the same properties as a "gunny sack," or "fire" is the same thing as a "firefly."

Romney supported the idea of other states doing something along the lines of his health care bill, but always opposed insurance mandates from the federal government (just as I oppose the federal government issuing general laws about rape, but support state laws against rape.)

For those of you who still think Romneycare is the worst possible sin a Republican candidate could commit -- even worse than taking money from Freddie Mac as it destroyed the economy -- that doesn't help Gingrich: He supported Romneycare.

(While we're on the subject, the nation's leading conservative think tank, The Heritage Foundation, helped draft Romneycare. Indeed, Bob Moffit, Heritage's senior fellow on health care issues, can be seen in the picture of the bill-signing ceremony, standing proudly behind Romney.)

But Gingrich did more than support Romneycare. As former senator Rick Santorum has pointed out, Gingrich supported a FEDERAL individual mandate to purchase health insurance from 1993 until five minutes ago -- i.e., at least until a "Meet the Press" appearance just last May.

Asked by Maria Bartiromo in the CNBC debate last November to explain what he would do to fix health care, Newt attacked the question as "absurd" and said he would need a "several-hour period" to answer it.

In a world where words have meaning, Mitt Romney is not the "moderate" in this race. He is the most conservative candidate still standing, with the possible exception of Rick Santorum, who is bad on illegal immigration. (Santorum voted in the Senate against even the voluntary use of E-Verify by employers, which means he doesn't want to do anything about illegal immigration at all.)

Romney is "moderate" only in demeanor -- which is just another word game. His positions are more conservative than Gingrich's, but he doesn't scare people like Gingrich does. Ronald Reagan and Jesse Helms were moderate in demeanor, too. No one would call them political moderates.

Romney is the most electable candidate not only because it will be nearly impossible for the media to demonize this self-made Mormon square, devoted to his wife and church, but precisely because he is the most conservative candidate.

Conservatism is an electable quality. Hotheaded arrogance is neither conservative nor attractive to voters.

See article here:

http://townhall.com/columnists/anncoulter/2012/01/25/reelect_...

• Red Branch 2012/01/31 05:13:34
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Red Branch
    I meant to click NO.
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/01/27 08:40:01
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +2
    Gingrich is a smug egomaniac, and pointy headed academic just like Obama, the only difference is Newt is much smarter, and likes his big government conservative (however the hell that is suppose to work).

To be honest, I do not much care who wins the GOP nomination, Paul, Santorum, Gingrich, or Romney, just so they can defeat Obama in the general election, that is all I care about. I am not particularly enamored with any of the current field in such a way that I would denounce any of them viciously as has been happening here on SodaHead, to boost my candidate up. The way I see it, President Obama HAS TO GO, and any of the GOP candidates would be way better than what we have in there now. WAY BETTER.

That said, Newt would give Barak three hellified debates like we have never seen before, but in my estimation, Romney has the best chance of beating Obama in the general election. However, if the economy takes a downturn this summer, then it does not matter if a ham sandwich is the Republican nominee because whoever is running against President Obama will defeat him handily.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/28 02:51:29
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Please spare us the spin. Gingrich is nothing like Obama. Romney is closer to Obama if anything. Can you say Romneycare?
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/28 04:35:11
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    No spin, just honest analysis. I do not have a particular favorite, so I can do that. Romney is not perfect and neither is Gingrich, but all I care about is whoever the nominee is beating Obama.

As far as being a president, Romney and Gingrich would be very much alike. To argue that a Gingrich presidency and a Romney presidency would be exceptionally different is exceptionally delusional.

Romney is nothing like Obama. None of of the GOP candidates are anything like Obama. Hell, there are plenty of Democrats that are nothing like Obama. Obama is the most liberal president we have ever had, and is the president we know the least about.

Romneycare is not something I would want in my state, that is for sure, and I certainly do not want Obamacare, but Romneycare making Romney a little Obama, that is spin as Romney does not favor Obamacare one iota. Your charge also looks past the fact that Massachusetts is like another planet compared to the rest of the country, and many things that play there do not play in the rest of the country. Would Ted Kennedy have been your state's Senator for decades? I think not.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/28 05:05:49
    Bob DiN
    +1
    They do have similar stances, but Romneycare sets them miles apart. I'm not from MA for a while now. I'm in NY which is just as loony as MA, maybe worse.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/28 05:21:26
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    Romneycare, much like Reagan's amnesty, shows why Obamacare is such a bad idea, just like Reagan's amnesty shows why amnesty is such a bad idea. What Gingrich or Romney will do about Obamacare is revoke it, no difference.

I am not about to tell you to like Romney, nor will I defend Romneycare. And you can vigorously support whoever you want in the primary. Certainly being from Massachusetts and New York you have seen your share of looney political stuff, which has made you a wiser person. All I am saying is, whoever runs against Obama is who we need to support. Obama is the threat, the GOP candidates are not. So, aside from my analysis, I am saving by strength for the general election, to be behind whoever the nominee is, be it Gingrich or Romney.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/28 07:38:50
    Bob DiN
    +1
    They both say they would repeal Obamacare. The problem is I don't believe Romney.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/28 17:08:00
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    And if that is the case, then there is no way you can vote for Romney in the primaries.

I am just not sure how Romney would get away with keeping any part of Obamacare. That is a great deal what this election is going to be about; repealing everything Obama.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/28 17:52:30
    Bob DiN
    +1
    I'm not. Newt will get my vote.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/30 04:28:35
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    And that is it should be Bob, this is the primary election, and you should vote for exactly who you want. No ifs, and, or buts, or holding your nose.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/30 09:13:08
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Newt is the only one I don't have to hold my nose. Santorum isn't that bad either but I do have a few reservations. Romney is a RINO with much more baggage than any of them. Some of which have not been made public yet. I don't think I could vote for him in any circumstances, including a general election. Ron Paul is to much a weirdo even if he does have a few good budget ideas. I could never ever vote for him.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/30 19:54:22
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    I think your analysis is exactly the same as a great many of the voters in this primary. Romney's inability to get above that 25% mark for so long does show the majority are at least tentative about him as the nominee for sure. I think that he was not able to make any gains above that 25% for so long actually means a great number of people are actually more than just tentative, they are absolutely in your boat.

Like I said, I do not care, and I know that seems cavalier, but my whole focus is to beat Obama at the polls in November. I try to stay out of the primary debate because you can see where that got me with you real quick. LOL And I am actually interested in the same things you are for this country.

Whatever the outcome is of the primary, I would ask you to please think hard about voting for someone who can beat Obama in the general election, be it Newt, Rick, or Mitt, the implications are very serious if Obama gets another four years.

However you vote, know that I support it, and respect your opinion.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/31 00:47:41
    Bob DiN
    +1
    I despise Obama, he's the worst President in US history, and corrupt to boot. Mitt has little of beating Obama regardless of what the talking heads say. Just yesterday the NY Post had an article how Mitt did away with Kosher Food in MA nursing homes. That would go over big with the Jewish vote. Wait until the bias MSM finds out he was arrested and had it squashed because his father George was Governor. If Mitt gets the nomination Obama in essence will be running unopposed.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/31 04:47:16
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    I agree with you on Obama 100%.

I am sure the MSM will be running those stories, and the time Mitt picked his nose in kindergarten too. While Obama continues to get the free pass.

I pray that whoever runs against Obama beats him.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/31 17:22:46
    Bob DiN
    +1
    They don't call them the Bias MSM for nothing. They have become the PR Division of the DNC. I think Newt is the only one with a chance to win. He isn't afraid to expose the Bias MSM for sure.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/31 19:00:10
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    It has been pretty great anytime Newt called the MSM on the carpet at the debates. Reminds me of the old movies where the priest calls the wise guy kid out, and the kid says "but Father", and the priest says "don't but father me, you know what you did."
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/02/01 01:34:11
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Yup, you got it.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/02/01 02:26:38
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    ;-)
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/02/01 03:44:30
  • tncdel Bob DiN 2012/02/11 14:08:03
    tncdel
    Romney is the only Republican currently running for president who can beat Obama.
  • Bob DiN tncdel 2012/02/11 21:55:41
    Bob DiN
    Romney will beat himself. He's a loser.
  • tncdel Bob DiN 2012/02/11 14:06:54
    tncdel
    Yet you'd choose to believe a man who dishonored his marriage vows over Romney? That makes no sense. Romney has proven himself far more a man of integrity than Gingrich.
  • tncdel Brian T... 2012/02/11 14:04:53
    tncdel
    +1
    He doesn't understand the major differences between Romneycare and Obamacare. He was caught in the anti-romney Lib trap using similarity of word sound, that's all.
    Please see:
    http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/3-...
  • Brian T... tncdel 2012/02/11 20:30:29
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    You mean Newt? I think he does understand the differences very well. Newt's mouth on the other hand just runs, it is like a stream of consciousness thing, but since the man is such a wonk he can talk about any topic off the cuff for a very long time. That can be good, and bad.

Remember him commenting on the budget drafted by Rep. Paul Ryan, saying, "I don't think right wing social engineering is any more desirable than left wing social engineering..."? That is Newt, he talks and talks, but in the end his position would be closer to Rep. Ryan that his words would lead you to believe.

The policy differences between Romney, Newt, and Santorum are tiny, with the one big difference being Romney has come out very strongly against amnesty, whereas Newt wants to work on some middle ground thing.

Just remember who the guy is we want out of office in November, and any of the possible replacements, including Ron Paul, would be way, way, way better.
  • tncdel Bob DiN 2012/02/11 14:03:02
    tncdel
    Apparently you can: say it, that is. But don't know diddly about the fact that their similarity of word-sound bears little similarity to what it actually is. See:
    http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/3-...
    YES [explain why you think so].
    +1
    Ann Coulter is almost always right!
  • davidh BN-0 2012/01/26 21:15:56
    NO [explain why you think not].
    davidh BN-0
    +1
    Because she is Ann Coulter. Nothing right comes from her mouth. If she is right about something, she needs to write it down and have someone else read it and make it their words. Just saying.

“Jews need to be perfected”

"Our testament is a continuation of your testament. We do think Jews go to Heaven, but we consider ourselves perfected Jews. This should not be offensive at all!"

"Our blacks are so much better than their blacks. To become a black Republican, you don't just roll into it. You're not going with the flow...and that's why we have very impressive blacks in the Republican party"
  • Classical Liberal 2012/01/26 20:54:27
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    I think she forgot about Paul at the end there, who makes Romney's positions on *most* things look moderate, but her analysis of Romney v Gingrich is accurate.
  • tncdel Classic... 2012/02/11 14:09:24
    tncdel
    Not on DOMESTIC national defense. Ron Paul has a RINO streak in him a mile wide when it comes to Islamic encroachment and illegal aliens.
  • Classic... tncdel 2012/02/11 19:50:09
    Classical Liberal
    Yes, I know, he holds the position that illegals come here to improve their lives and shouldn't be treated as criminals.
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/01/26 20:48:11
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Stan Kapusta
    +2
    She is correct. I still have my view that he is old Republican. Well connected. Not for the majority of American interests. Just me.
  • Harry 2012/01/26 19:34:29
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Harry
    +2
    Ann is absolutely correct. Newt is a conservative only ON OCCASIONS - when he isn't making outrageous quixotic policy statements that he is later forced to renounce. Gingrich cannot win; he has a worse favorability rating than Obama, Harry Reid, or even the generally despised Nancy Pelosi. And Gingrich has no character as his multiple affairs demonstrate. What he is, is extremely glib. This man with the facile tongue has the ability to tailor his speech for any audience, often resulting in his taking contradictory positions simultaneously.
  • Bob DiN 2012/01/26 16:52:37 (edited)
    NO [explain why you think not].
    Bob DiN
    Ann Coulter is a book writer looking to sell her books. In 2008 she bashed John McCain for being too moderate. Now this year she's in love with Mitt Romney who is much more liberal than McCain. Even McCain never approved socialized medicine Anyone from MA who is not liberal( A rare find in MA) knows how how bad and costly Romneycare is. The program has been in red ink from it's inception in spite of continual tax increases. Gingrich is certainly the more conservative o the two. Coulter is playing to the GOP establishments pick of Mitt Romney. Does Coulter know how liberal Mitt is? Of course she does but for her to tell what she really knows wouldn't sell her books.
  • Rick4Ron - Paul☮2012 2012/01/26 16:34:25
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Rick4Ron - Paul☮2012
    +1
    Those who remember Newt, know why he has no support from those who worked with him. And anyone who examines Mitt, knows he goes in and out with the tide. Both are libcons, and will use the presidency, to feather their own bed.

Only one man, is an honest statesman, who can be trusted with the keys to the White House... Ron Paul!

It's about the message, and the cause for liberty.
  • tncdel Rick4Ro... 2012/02/11 14:11:26
    tncdel
    Paul would be fine as Secretary of the Treasury, with power to orchestrate Romney's government spending policy. But no one as lousy as Paul is on DOMESTIC national defense belongs in the White House.
  • Mr Wayne 2012/01/26 15:59:44
    NO [explain why you think not].
    Mr Wayne
    +1
    Who knows? She was screaming so much, I just changed the channel.
    As O'Reilly told her, "You don't like him. We get it."
  • tncdel Mr Wayne 2012/01/26 16:11:57
    tncdel
    +2
    If you're not a fan of illegal aliens, then Romney is the best choice by far. Please see:
  • Brian T... tncdel 2012/01/27 08:43:33
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    Romney is the only one who has had the balls to lay it out on the illegal immigration issue. I have to admit, I was stunned, but if that is what he said he will do, that is exactly what he will do.
  • Bob DiN Brian T... 2012/01/27 20:25:36
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Romney doesn't haven't a clue on immigration. I don't even believe him, I just think he's playing to the crowd. Newt is right what do you do with 12 million illegals? They should be punished severely period. I wish they would be deported instantly and never allowed to return. However Newt is right that's not practical and not going to happen.
  • Brian T... Bob DiN 2012/01/27 20:40:56
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    I think Mitt is making a campaign promise on that one. He is very nebulous on many things right now, and that is so he can save it for the general election. But I think he is serious about what he is saying.

Practical is adhering to the rule of law that we have on the books. That is the problem with Washington D.C. in that they will not let the current laws on the books to remedy a situation, they always want to make something new up. It is time to get back to enforcing the laws we have, as opposed to making new ones.

I disagree, it could happen, and it is practical. The people who rely on illegal immigrant slave labor are no better than the plantation owners who relied on actual slave labor. Certainly there is an upside for the illegals in the senario, but it also goes against the very basis of protections that are afforded to laborers by the country and the states. If we have to capitulate on this issue, then we are in trouble as a country.

2014/10/23 08:11:52