Is an airport body scanner taking away a liberty?

phil_w 2010/11/17 08:08:05
Related Topics: Election, Police, Wage, Airport

In a few of the questions raised regarding body scanners at airports there seems to be a wide mix of reasons why people feel they do, or do not want to use them.

One quote that comes up a lot is:-

"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

The body scanner does not restrict your travel, does not restrict your ability to earn a wage, does not allow internment, does not change the democratic election process, does not give police 'matial powers' amongst others. I do not understand what liberty it is taking away.

I guess the final part of this question is related to the ownership of the airlines. They are companies, and like all companies, you accept their terms and conditions to use their services. So is it wrong just to ensure the safety of yourself and potentially thousands of others and of course the safety of the crew, after all, they are company employees and the company has a duty of care to protect it's employees. The same goes for TSA, they have also a duty of care to protect lives too.

• NoName 2010/11/19 03:32:39
    Yes, it is taking away my liberty
    NoName
    "The body scanner does not restrict your travel, does not restrict your ability to earn a wage, does not allow internment, does not change the democratic election process, does not give police 'matial powers' amongst others. I do not understand what liberty it is taking away."

Actually, you are being restricted in travel - aviation is the fastest way to travel across large land masses QUICKLY, and ESPECIALLY the only way to travel quickly across OCEANS.

Perhaps you should read the constitution, amendment 4 regarding unreasonable searches/seizures - especially since this is NON-LAE ENFORCEMENT doing strip searches which the cop downwind from the checkpoint isn't allowed to do [regardless of digital vs physical]

"I guess the final part of this question is related to the ownership of the airlines."

Actually, this is irrelevant.

"They are companies, and like all companies, you accept their terms and conditions to use their services."

Irrelevant, the airline's contract of carriage has nothing to do with airport security, which is government run.

"So is it wrong just to ensure the safety of yourself and potentially thousands of others and of course the safety of the crew, after all, they are company employees and the company has a duty of care to protect it's employees."

Red...

Actually, this is irrelevant.

Red Herring: This isn't about having screening, or not having screening, but about a TYPE of screening - an invasive one that simply does NOT work.

I wonder why people miss the basic facts [travel being essential for some, many, the difference between a government agency running security vs an airline and their CoC, the difference between opposing all security vs opposing a TYPE / METHOD], is Google really that hard to use?
  • Bozette 2010/11/17 11:00:15
    Yes, it is taking away my liberty
    Bozette
    Liberty is the concept of ideological and political philosophy that identifies the condition to which an individual has the right to behave according to one's own personal responsibility and free will. The conception of liberty is impacted by ideals concerning the social contract as well as arguments that are concerned with the state of nature.
    Individualist and classical liberal conceptions of liberty relate to the freedom of the individual from outside compulsion or coercion and this is defined as negative liberty.
    -from Wikipedia

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures. The amendment specifically also requires search and arrest warrants be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause.
  • Conservative in California 2010/11/17 09:03:53
    Yes, it is taking away my liberty
    Conservative in California
    4th Amendment. We're not criminals. We're Americans.
  • phil_w 2010/11/17 08:18:44
    No, it is NOT taking away my liberty
    phil_w
    Well, as I wrote the question, you know my opinions, but I had to vote!

2014/10/24 08:34:13