Is America heading towards Euro-style Socialism??!!

BlueRepublican 2012/06/25 19:04:02
YES
NO
I welcome all political views and affiliations to join in the discussion. I wanna know what you think? Is America heading towards Euro-style Socialism?
obama bucks
What will happen to capitalism? If we start adopting those norms here, will the U.S. end up in a similar financial crisis? Everyone likes goodies, but can we afford them?
obama laugh
I want you to vote right now, comment, reply, share with everyone who loves America, and don't forget to RAVE ALL DAY!!!!
romney frowngop elephant
C'mon America, let me hear ya'
herman cain ear9-9-9 KEEP TAX REFORM ALIVE!!!!!!

• chas 2012/06/29 22:21:39
    YES
    chas
    sad state of affairs-today. The fight has just begun. Refuse to be taxed for these new-programs. Passive resistance
  • Sherlock Dog BL - a Gazillion 2012/06/29 12:58:06
  • JoeBob Scruggs 2012/06/28 22:17:03
    YES
    JoeBob Scruggs
    Now that the Justice Roberts and Supreme Court is makin everyone get RomneyCare JoeBob and Lurlene might have to self deport to Canada.
  • burningsnowman 2012/06/28 10:24:01
    NO
    burningsnowman
    This implies all of Europe is "socialist" or to the left of the US, which is totally not true. There are a lot of eastern european countries with lower/flatter taxes that are arguably more socially conservative than the US.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/06/27 21:05:09
    YES
    ruthannhausman
    Basically that's where this president has got us aimed. Will he succeed/? I hope not. But the question was if we're headed there. Actually, that's the basic plan, from what I can tell, except that a few folks aren't telling the entire truth of the plan. Whoops. Way I see it thus far, we're headed for the nanny state and will take a fork in the road that pretty much will eliminate the middle class in America, leaving us with the Haves and the Have Nots, literally.

And you idiot progressive democrats who think you have all the answers and are doing everything so right and we conservatives are so wrong? I figure you'll wake up just about an hour past too late. Good lord, people, lay out the story like a calendar, for Pete's sake. Just jot down historical notes for the past, say, ten years. History -- provided you learned anything about it in school -- has already shown you what's happening, you just don't want to listen and learn.

I, for one, have this little devil inside me that wants to watch it happen and then run around saying, "I told you so" and watching you get precisely what you deserve. However, my country, America, does not deserve it, so I am going to do my best to rally people around to the proper course of action and vote this gang of country wreckers out of office in November!
  • ghosiejackson 2012/06/27 11:05:06
    NO
    ghosiejackson
    not really fits...
  • DoxieDad 2012/06/27 01:58:17
    DoxieDad
    If I am to believe my mother who is wise in the ways of the world. She used to say during the height of the cold war that she found it funny that one day the Socialists would turn into capitalists and that the Capitalists would eventually turn into socialists.
    Human beings are creatures of habit and like children we want to be taken care of by our mothers and government. Maybe she was right after all!
  • HenriLewkowiczhenri 2012/06/27 00:40:29
    NO
    HenriLewkowiczhenri
    in any case ,socialism would be much better then a theocratic fascism that the religious right in the U S wants ........back to the middle ages ......is that your choice ...........
  • Beccy 2012/06/27 00:16:11
    NO
    I would only wish. It is not the fact that Europe is socialist it is the fact that they now have a central bank that prints funny money just like the FED does. We are turning facist.
  • Frank 2012/06/26 22:51:39
    Frank
    We are if we elect Obama for another term......
  • HenriLe... Frank 2012/06/27 00:41:37
    HenriLewkowiczhenri
    is FASCISM BETTER ...........
  • Marie-Jacqueline 2012/06/26 21:00:52
    Marie-Jacqueline
    First you have to explain me what you mean by Euro-style Socialism?

Like more US-SH's do, you are representing Europe as being a country or state.
    That is the first misconception.
    Cultural, political, governmental, judicial system, educational system etc. there are many differences; not even mentioning the scala of languages

The second one is that you will find throughout Europe different styles of government.
    A totally based on socialism state is not to be found in Europe.

What do you consider socialistic?
    It is often used by US-SH's to be seen as evil, but the way they use, the context in wich they are using it, is is prove that the have a very limited AND almost absent AND very negative understanding of it.
  • BlueRep... Marie-J... 2012/06/26 21:19:28
    BlueRepublican
    Mademoisselle Marie, please see France. :-)
  • Marie-J... BlueRep... 2012/06/26 22:11:08
    Marie-Jacqueline
    Don't you see how illogical your conclusion is?

France has chosen a President who is a member of the Socialistic Party.
    That fact doens't make France a socialistic country.

Lets apply your conclusion to the Netherlands.
    We have had Prime Ministers that were a member of the KVP (translated that would be something like The Catholic Peoples Party).
    If I apply your way of thinking it would turned The Netherlands suddenly completely Catholic.
    Or Prime Ministers that were member of the CDA (Christian Democratic Appeal)
    So that would make the country suddenly completely Christian.
    We had Prime Ministers who were member of the ARP (Anti Revolutionary Party).
    A confessional Protestant Party.
    Turning the whole country protestant!

Really!

It is Mademoiselle! It is one S.
    My name is Marie-Jacqueline, it is my real name I use here.
    No need of a fantasy name!
  • BlueRep... Marie-J... 2012/06/26 22:32:30
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    Sorry 'bout the misspelling ther MJ. I was not referring to the newly elected president but to the laws in France for the employers and the taxes paid by the employees. I am sure that govts and laws vary between countries but in America, when we think of Socialism, the French come to mind.
    Merci
  • morning40oz~mad as hell 2012/06/26 20:12:52
    YES
    morning40oz~mad as hell
    +1
    Only for nearly a century...or did we just think that FDR's programs were something else?
  • Billyk75 2012/06/26 20:06:12
    Billyk75
    Heading or already have?
  • Nate Hubert 2012/06/26 17:46:09
    NO
    Nate Hubert
    Don't be ridiculous...
    YES
    If our disgraceful President has his way.
  • Roger 2012/06/26 16:38:16
    Roger
    Russian style marxism
  • Old Soldier 2012/06/26 14:32:34
    NO
    Old Soldier
    No, not yet, America is headed for a war. If the socialist side wins, then America may become a Euro-style Socialism, for all who love freedom will be dead.

I will bow the Leg to God, for that is right and just, but with men, I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees before them. ~ Old Soldier
  • 'Zedd 2012/06/26 14:09:39
  • Mtnsmith 2012/06/26 14:07:30
    Mtnsmith
    +2
    Rather than standard-grade socialism (government ownership of the means of production) we have moved toward a more dangerous version: private profit with public risk.

For example, banks and car companies have the freedom to make bad decisions which should, under capitalism, cause them to fail. Under our current system, the government bails them out with public money. So they have no incentive to make better decisions next time.
  • ordman 2012/06/26 13:07:05
    NO
    ordman
    No more like Chinese style Maoism.
  • HOMBRE 2012/06/26 12:59:11
    YES
    HOMBRE
    Obama and his communist progressive tried awful hard to push us in that direction.Obama think a government like Spain the way to rule. The unemployment is excepted over there. You have the government providing everything. Problem when they run out of money always looking for a bail out.With a clown in office we have now they will get a bail out.Obama will just borrow money from China or just print up money to cover the bail out
  • Flowers 2012/06/26 12:57:25
    YES
    Flowers
    +3
    I think we are fooling ourselves into thinking we aren't already there. http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/...
    According to CNN, nearly HALF THE COUNTRY receives some sort of government aid. 1/3 of the country is on some sort of welfare assistance (medicaid, food stamps, WIC, housing assistance, etc) and the more dependent we become, the more controlling they can get. Hell, we aren't even allowed to plant gardens on our own property anymore! (lady in OK actually lost her whole garden when officials came in and DESTROYED it)
    YES
    +2
    It won't work here - we have more freeloaders in the systems than they have in populations.
  • All American 2012/06/26 10:59:52
    YES
    All American
    +1
    That's where the left wants to take us. They talk about their social this and social that, healthcare, for example. We'll take this country back come November.
  • Justagirl 2012/06/26 07:49:01
    YES
    Justagirl
    +2
    your soaking in it People! your soaking in it
  • redhorse29 2012/06/26 07:24:47
    YES
    redhorse29
    +4
    Yep. Don't forget with the socialism comes the taxes.
  • Simmysimfreak 2012/06/26 07:11:02
    NO
    Simmysimfreak
    +1
    America wishes... xD no offense to all americans who are against it, but as a Dutch National. i think some socialism mixed in with some Capitalism is a wonderfull mix
  • Mtnsmith Simmysi... 2012/06/26 13:37:41
    Mtnsmith
    +2
    Unless you're Greece... or Spain... or Ireland.... or any of the countries who've tried it and now are finding out it doesn't work.
  • BlueRep... Mtnsmith 2012/06/26 14:33:49
    BlueRepublican
    +1
    Portugal too.
  • Marie-J... Mtnsmith 2012/06/26 21:03:49
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    How is capatalism working for the US now?
  • Mtnsmith Marie-J... 2012/06/27 02:56:24
    Mtnsmith
    +1
    It's not. Using public money to bail out banks that should be allowed to fail because of their poor policy decisions is not capitalism. Bailing out auto companies (actually, bailing out the UAW pension funds, because that's who got the lion's share of the money) is not capitalism. But just because capitalism isn't being allowed to work properly doesn't mean that replacing it with a "guaranteed to fail" system like socialism is any improvement.
  • Marie-J... Mtnsmith 2012/06/27 18:32:08
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    It would be nice if US-SH's would do some research on socialism, communism etc, whatever.
    It is clear that most of you have no idea what it is all about.

Why?
    If I see comments on President Obama for instance, calling him a socialistic, communist, marxist.
    It is just plain silly and it shows the lack of knowledge about those systems.
    If US-SH's would really understand those systems they would never use them together to show their the political conviction of somebody.

My opinion is that many Americans are brought up with the believe:
    Those systems bad; our system good (even proclaiming the best).
    Much more is not being thought in school, media. The message with some variations stays the same.
    On that point a lot of Americans haven't learned to study those systems, your own and what the pro's and contra of all of them are.

And after studying this you come to the conclusion you like capatalism best, at least it will be a well founded opinion and not a result of a lot of misconceptions about those considered "bad" ones.
  • Mtnsmith Marie-J... 2012/06/27 20:14:20
    Mtnsmith
    +1
    Agreed that most people have no idea what any of the political system "isms" really are.

But most Americans do know that none of them save capitalism have worked in the past. Some of them (Marxism, Fascism, and Communism) have (and continue to, in places like North Korea) brought about an immense level of human suffering. Therefore dredging them up again is probably not the best answer.
    Capitalism has brought the greatest prosperity the world has ever known, far beyond what anyone in earlier eras could have dreamed of. As a wise person once said, capitalism is the worst system out there, except for all the others.
  • Marie-J... Mtnsmith 2012/06/27 20:52:31
    Marie-Jacqueline
    +1
    Yes, that is true, but what about the negative side of capitalism?
    Like every system there is a negative one.
    The negative side might not always plain to see, but it is still there.
    It is still couses human suffering

Social inequality and unfair distribution of wealth and power.
    A tendency toward market monopoly.
    A tendency towards imperialism.
    Various forms of economic and cultural exploitation.
    Repression of workers and trade unionists.
    Economic inequality; unemployment; and economic instability.
    Another effect is profit comes first, followed using all of our natural resources, the distruction of natural habitat.

Several religions are speaking against it, did you know that
  • Mtnsmith Marie-J... 2012/06/27 21:00:05
    Mtnsmith
    As I said, capitalism is the worst system in the world, except for all the others.

Human nature is flawed, and the political, economic, and social structures developed by humans will also, always be flawed. Capitalism takes this truth into account by making it to each person's advantage to work hard and innovate because that's what gets them more goodies.

Ya gotta work with what ya got, and on this earth it is, unfortunately, human nature.
  • Simmysi... Mtnsmith 2012/07/02 16:56:13
    Simmysimfreak
    Capitalism only brings great prosperity for some. there is a saying about capitalism, it goes for every dollar made someplace there is a dollar lost someplace else... you can read into that however ud like

2014/07/29 08:46:11