Is A Beer Tax Fair?

No, I should have to suffer because my local politicians can’t balance a budget.
Yes, whatever it takes to get the books right and avoid cuts to services.
I think the Washington state beer tax is …
If you visited a friend in Aberdeen over the weekend, you might have noticed that his fridge was stuffed with even more cans of Bud than usual. That’s probably because he was trying to get out ahead of a new “sin” tax hitting Washington State on Tuesday that sent beer drinkers rushing out to save a bit of cash before popping a cold one gets a little more expensive.

With a hike of 28 cents a 6 pack that mainly targets major label beers, the taxes don’t apply to microbrews, in an attempt o help local businesses get a leg up, according to a recent CNN story. But the looming price bump, as well as a full-page ad from Budweiser warning of the tax hike, likely sent cost-conscious Washingtonians out on beer benders over the Memorial Day weekend.

And as if the beer tax wasn’t enough, candy, gum and bottled water are also getting slapped with new fees as of Tuesday, hit with a 6.5% sales tax that could change the way cash-strapped shoppers fill their carts. The end of the month will also bring a new 2 cents-per-can or bottle tax on soda. Some consumers are complaining that the sin taxes are just another example of politicians who can’t balance their own budgets taking it out on consumers.

Do you think sin taxes are fair?

• Semper Fi 2010/06/01 19:57:26
    Semper Fi
    +4
    .....as pathetically lame as our Queen the Governor, who pledged over and over not to raise our taxes, and who has grown the size of our state government some 35% since taking office some 6 years ago.

• pgcsny 2010/06/03 01:52:06
    pgcsny
    Beer here in NY is taxed, and they have that pesky deposit on cans and bottles....
  • Slayerfc 2010/06/02 16:43:01
  • Abacus 2010/06/02 15:27:11 (edited)
    Abacus
    Ya know, if it who else is going to foot the bill. Smokers have been footing the bill for a very long time. pack of cigs up to $5.00 in some places, yet the tobacco industry only sees about 75 cents of that. Who will pay that tax when smoking is banned completely? Certainly not those who sought the demise of the industry. Beer tax? Tell the politicians with sticky fingers to earn their money.

That is just another blow at putting small business out of business.
  • Merl 2010/06/02 15:26:24
    Merl
    Any state you look at they do not have a revenue problem they have a SPENDING problem. Until they learn to spend dollars wisely they can raise all the taxes in every category and it will not help.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2010/06/02 13:25:24
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    It's OK as long as they don't slap Champagne with new fees.
  • activ1 2010/06/02 13:00:26
    activ1
    +1
    Anybody who actually would go out and purchase Budweiser and drink that swill deserves whatever happens to them.
  • chaoskitty123 2010/06/02 06:53:33
    chaoskitty123
    ... reason to ask if these idiots remember the 18th Amendment and Al Capone because they're going to bring about more lawlessness by doing this so that a sin tax becomes reason to support bootlegging and organized crime. Why doesn't Washington state just legalize prostitution and tax the hell out of it... wouldn't that be a sin tax and maybe even get some of those kids off the street we're always hearing about selling their bodies there?

• wolf 2010/06/02 06:27:30
    wolf
    just more money out of my pocket and into pork barrel politics
  • Benji 2010/06/02 03:34:18 (edited)
    Benji
    Raise those sin taxes and legalize marijuana and tax that too!
  • Beccy 2010/06/02 03:32:35
    I think politicans say I don't do this so let's tax it. This has got to stop. It's like the British taxing tea. If they want to tax it should come out of everyone.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2010/06/02 03:30:04
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    A good alternative to a flat tax.
    +1
    NO TAX IS A FAIR TAX................ TAXING BEER IS EVEN WORSE THAN THAT
  • Peon of the Masses 2010/06/02 02:12:06
    Peon of the Masses
    not my worry, since I don't live there.

We are taxed unto poverty here, anyway. 11% sales tax.
  • udagawa 2010/06/02 02:00:36
  • hunter 44 2010/06/02 01:39:49
    hunter 44
    +1
    fair and exactly what alcohol consumers like to endorse.
  • Leantom, the Economic Ratio... 2010/06/02 01:37:20
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    Here are a few thoughts: Cut spending, throw out all the useless state workers, examine the efficiency of certain state bureaucracies (and, if found to be useless, end them), end state-run entitlement programs and prohibit state-subsidization of certain businesses.
  • A Carpenter 2010/06/02 01:32:29
    A Carpenter
    +1
    par for the course in a state ran by democrats.
  • kevracer 2010/06/02 00:21:53
    kevracer
    +1
    Tax beer at $5.00 a bottle for all I care
  • King Cenwulf 2010/06/02 00:21:37
    King Cenwulf
    +3
    Here in the UK we have (VAT) Value Added Tax on purchases at a rate rate of 17.5%. this will probably go up to 20% in the budget to be announced on 22 June. You people in the USA don't know how lucky you are. Try living here, we are taxed to the hilt to pay for welfare scroungers, illegal immigrants and the corrupt politicians of the EU. Only in the papers today, there are some people, and I mean a few hundred who are getting £90,000 a year in welfare payments, and over 700,000 who are getting £30,000. Now times that by $1.46 and you see what I mean. The "hand out" culture is costing the hard working Brit £200 billion a year.
  • A Carpe... King Ce... 2010/06/02 01:35:07
    A Carpenter
    you should create a blog post for that just to educate some of us Americans. and don't forget to tell us about the TV tax 8-) most people on this side o the big pond think I am Lying when I tell em about it.
  • King Ce... A Carpe... 2010/06/02 15:38:10
    King Cenwulf
    Yes, we pay about £142 a year to the government to get BBC. If, you don't and you are caught by one of the hundreds of detector vans roaming around you get to go to court and can be fined £1000.
  • A Carpe... King Ce... 2010/06/03 02:28:10
    A Carpenter
    please blog this man, we in america need to know the dangers of too much socialized "good for you" mentality.
  • Leantom... King Ce... 2010/06/02 01:38:47
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    +1
    Yeah, well we're not far behind you guys.
  • CarrieUAAG 2010/06/02 00:08:22
    CarrieUAAG
    wow....why is this a big deal?
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2010/06/01 23:39:16
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    What's "sin" to you might be a near "necessity" for me. I don't mind taxes but not the kind that penalize one person while rewardng another.
  • Adam 2010/06/01 22:47:48
    Adam
    +2
    Tax and make Marijuana legal while your at it.
  • NakedWombat 2010/06/01 22:09:46
    NakedWombat
    +1
    ...is a result of voting for a political parties known for destroying, not building.
  • Tina Hillstrom 2010/06/01 21:56:51
    Tina Hillstrom
    +1
    is just another Free Butt Plug we seem to bend over and take.Due to my loquaciousness, IF you know me well, know I should not even begin ; but to state the sacrosanct principals I live by: I care deeply about my family, friends, and those who profess to love me.
    Everyday I seek to treat others with Warmth, Compansion, Generosity, Caring and a tongue I reserve for emergencies and aware when some one I love needs to lay down.

I try my best to not get caught up with the random nothing that entertains the mentally handicapped, the average Jo or Sue and Al Gore supporters.
    The week of 4/19 magazine covers and headlines worth pondering: "In Touch": Charlie caught cheating "Enquirer" Elizabeth Edwards 6 months to live and Whitney back on crack "Examiner" Cher, 2 years to live "Cosmopolitan" The 7 best orgasm tricks in the world "Newsweek" America is Back! My question: From where, and to what? May God help this once great country. Here come the Constitutional Chicks.
    PS. Free ANAL EXAMS on the Hill No Not Beverly Hills... DC from The White House Medical Clinic run by Dr. Obama. and his Nurse Rahm Emanual. white house medical clinic run dr obama nurse rahm emanual
  • cruc1bl3 Tina Hi... 2010/06/01 22:35:42
    cruc1bl3
    +1
    Obviously you are well read. So what's the obsession with ass?
  • Jack 2010/06/01 21:50:15
    Jack
    +2
    another nail in the coffin of the land of the free.

"There are two types of people in the world; those that want to be left alone, and those that just won't leave them alone."
    -Ernest Hancock
  • MAMMY51♥POTL~PWCM~JLA♥ 2010/06/01 21:49:00
    MAMMY51♥POTL~PWCM~JLA♥
    Not unless they tax hard liquor and wine too
    washington beer tax tax liquor wine
  • hunter 44 MAMMY51... 2010/06/02 01:42:39
    hunter 44
    +1
    They have been for decades.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2010/06/01 21:34:45 (edited)
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +1
    Maybe the Idiot Liberal Politicians & Unions should not have chased off Boeing? They did not have these deficits before that happened!

I think since hard Alcohol is SOLD by the State ONLY in Washington that they owe the other retail business a break on such a tax to facilitate their revenues! Lol......oddly enough the State Liquer Stores ALSO sell wine & beer!

Another Bulls*** Tax!
  • Gary 2010/06/01 21:33:56
    Gary
    Drinking beer is a sin? By whose definition?
  • cruc1bl3 2010/06/01 21:29:27
    cruc1bl3
    +1
    "We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." --Ben

Governments should beware when they start to tax the spirits of the people. Lest they wake up one day and only the rich have wine, and only the powerful are drunk.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2010/06/01 21:20:32
    Artist~PWCM~
    +2
    ...ironic in that it is one of the most liberal states on the west coast and it gets hit first with the cost of the president they helped put in office.
    Tee hee...
    Hopefully obama and his crew will be gone before that tax makes it to the Red states.
  • r-w-wako 2010/06/01 21:07:13
    r-w-wako
    +3
    This is happening on a national level, also, despite 0bama's pledge to not raise taxes on the middle class and all his puffing about actually lowering taxes.

Taxes are not just income taxes. Wake up, people.
  • Dolly 2010/06/01 21:05:52
    Dolly
    +3
    I think if they tax cigarettes and alcohol high enough less people will die from the effects of them. I have seen what they both can do to the body and it isn't pretty!
  • hook 2010/06/01 20:10:16
    hook
    +3
    liberals don't drink beer,they drink them Shirley Temples and fuzzy navels,you know them Sissie drinks
  • Artemis 2010/06/01 20:01:47
    Artemis
    +3
    Ugh, I hope this doesn't spread to other states.

2014/10/23 19:14:07