IRS: Agents Won't Be Enforcers of Obamacare Mandate.

zbacku 2012/09/12 14:56:25
Care To Comment?
What Do You Think?
Call The EMS, I Think I Just Split My Spleen.
It Will Be Obama's New 'Brown Shirts' That Will Reach Out To Grab Us.

"IRS revenue agents will not be involved. There will not be audits," IRS Deputy Commissioner Steven Miller told a subcommittee of the tax-writing Ways and Means Committee in the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

The law, passed in 2010 and upheld by theSupreme Court, will charge individuals a fee, or tax, if they fail to buy insurance starting in 2014.

The Internal Revenue Service on Tuesday assured congressional lawmakers that agents would play no role in enforcing the controversial requirement that Americans buy insurance under President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.

Opponents of the healthcare measure have focused on that requirement, with some Republicans saying they worry the IRS, the agency responsible for tax collection and tax law enforcement, will harass people who fail to buy insurance.

"In most cases, taxpayers will file their tax returns reporting their health insurance coverage, and-or making a payment, and there will be no need for further interactions with the IRS," Miller said.

Under the law, Americans who lack health insurance will have to pay an annual fee to the IRS of $95, or 1 percent of taxable household income, starting in 2014.

By 2016, that will rise to $695 per person, with a cap that equals the greater of $2,085 per family or 2.5 percent of household income.

About 1 percent of the population will be charged for not buying insurance, government watchdogs have estimated.

Republicans questioned Miller about how many new agents would be needed to apply the law, and whether the agency would be able to keep up its core mission of tax collection.

At the hearing, the latest in a series on the healthcare law, staff for Rep. Charles Boustany, the Republican who heads the subcommittee, handed out a paper blasting the law as an "explosion of regulatory burdens."

The law contains a number of new tax provisions, from the so-called individual mandate to tax credits for small businesses and levies on the wealthy to help pay for coverage.

Read More: http://www.cnbc.com/id/48990224

• D D 2012/10/04 18:32:04
    What Do You Think?
    D D
    They will be the enforcers! It is a tax for f*ck sake!!
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/09/12 15:27:22
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    Yeah, right!
    I have a friend retired from the IRS and to this day he will not talk about some of the things he had to do for them...a very sad and disturbed man.
  • Schläue~© 2012/09/12 15:12:24
    Schläue~©
    +2
    "About 1 percent of the population will be charged for not buying insurance, government watchdogs have estimated."

Oh really? They estimate that only 1% of people will just pay the fine then seek insurance after they get sick? More like 90% of those who will lose coverage from their employers until the fine exceeds the yearly premiums.
  • zbacku Schläue~© 2012/09/12 15:31:46
    zbacku
    +1
    I can't wait until the first Union loses it's company paid insurance. Who do you think they will blame? Surely not their 'messiah'.
  • Schläue~© zbacku 2012/09/12 15:37:26 (edited)
    Schläue~©
    That's the reason 1.400 waivers were issued by HHS after the unions backed 0bozoTax.

The system would have collapsed long before they were required to participate but will be repealed and replaced anyway.

2014/10/22 13:55:41