Indiana law that lets civilians shoot cops in self-defense: good law or bad?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2012/06/12 17:21:06
Last year, the Indiana Supreme Court said that an ordinary Hoosier had "no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers." Several Indiana legislators asked the Court to do that decision over. (Barnes v. Indiana, cause #82002-0808-CM-759.) The court would not re-hear the case. So the legislators ginned up this new law.

All right. What does that new law say, that the old law didn't? Less than you might imagine. The law already gave Hoosiers the right to defend their "castles" (defines as their homes, the land around them, and their cars while they were in them), and indeed to defend their personal space anywhere, with no duty to retreat. The new Indiana law now lets them defend themselves against officers of the law and other "public servants" who behave improperly, exceed their lawful authority, or do that which does not exactly fall under their sworn duty.

From the way a lot of law officers are reacting to it, you'd think the Indiana legislature had declared open season on them! For instance, Sergeant Joe Hubbard of the police in Jeffersonville, IN, says,

If I pull over a car and I walk up to it and the guy
shoots me, he’s going to say, “Well, he was trying to illegally enter my
property.” Somebody is going get away with killing a cop because of
this law.

No, Sergeant Hubbard. If you read the law more carefully, you’ll note that before that driver can shoot you, he must reasonably believe that you are doing more than giving him a speeding ticket.

And there's something else you have to consider: cops have often "gone rogue" on traffic stops. Watch this video below. That could be you someday. The new Indiana law will check that.

For more details, you can follow the link to the actual Indiana law, or the link below to the article. Now ask yourself: is this new Indiana law a good law, or a bad law?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2012/06/12...

• ordman 2012/06/12 17:54:05
    Good law. The old law put cops above the law. The new law reminds them that t...
    ordman
    +11
    6 Maryland State Troopers Club and Taser to Death a Diabetic Architect; 46 Others Watch.
    Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers...  and some people are actually wondering why?

• momma-o... Grandpa 2012/06/13 12:36:04
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    Very,thank you.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/06/12 20:12:51
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +4
    Here's my personal opinion:

I do NOT think that any agency, government or private, should have more rights/authority than the average American citizen. I'm not pro/anti gun, but I do know that if cops are allowed to have guns, we can never, in good conscience, ban guns for the rest of the population. The police should not have more rights than you and I. Just my thoughts on the manner.
  • Pug For Huck 2012/06/12 20:09:08
    Pug For Huck
    +3
    In all It's a good law, as long as those that try to justify killing a cop in commission of a crime get double time or death.

The cops who do their job properly should have nothing to be concerned with. The cops on power trips do.
  • Gregaj7 2012/06/12 20:05:24
    +3
    I saw this several days ago, and fully support it.
  • sbtbill 2012/06/12 19:59:55
    sbtbill
    +3
    The way things are going I'd have to say, good law.
  • Contarded Guru Chickenhawk 2012/06/12 19:48:03
  • brunyon 2012/06/12 19:47:21
    brunyon
    +3
    I love this state.
  • Jacob M... brunyon 2012/06/13 13:26:33
    Jacob Mahurien
    I sense sarcasm, is there sarcasm?
  • brunyon Jacob M... 2012/06/13 14:17:45
  • Jacob M... brunyon 2012/06/13 14:47:19
    Jacob Mahurien
    I misread it as, 'the' state. And I have to agree with you about California.
  • brunyon Jacob M... 2012/06/13 16:44:25
    brunyon
    In California's defense I have only been to the southern half, I am sure the north is much better
  • Confederate 2012/06/12 19:45:31
    Confederate
    +1
    anyone notice in the most democrat liberal state they perfure only the police havin g means of self defence.Oh also the states with the bigger debts They are the ones draging the nation down by the bills they cannot pay an d they debts they wont pay off.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2012/06/12 19:35:22
    themadhare ~IJM
    +3
    we should have a law like that here.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2012/06/12 19:17:30
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +4
    It's not only rogue cops, but it could be the brown shirt squad next. I just hope nobody abuses it and gets stupid or that will be gone.
  • momma-o... Peewee ... 2012/06/12 20:20:08
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +2
    I think it was BECAUSE of the brown shirts that this had to be put in place.
  • john Kills Peewee ... 2012/06/12 20:57:01
    john Kills
    +2
    The police and homeland security have been getting military training, including room clearing. These tactics have been finely honed after ten years of afghanistan and iraq and now our police have that training to use on us. Remember obarry saying in 2007 and 2008 that America needs a civilian military force? The police ARE the brown shirts you speak of. Beware, the brown shirt are coming with UN troops to impose martial law. Everything has been jockeyed into place in preparation for it.
  • Peewee ... john Kills 2012/06/13 01:43:31
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +2
    Wake Up America!!
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/06/12 19:15:54
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +4
    I am not sure about the law but the guy should have interrupted the officer and let him know that he had a weapon. I do have to say the officer did over react. I have seen the police destroy property and go into the wrong house and even not checkout information from snitches before they breakdown a door and go into a house. There was even a guy was shot as he was sitting at his table cleaning his gun when they broke in and they shot him several times.
    I do not know if W. Va. has changed it law or not, but even the police have to get your permission to enter into you back yard when chasing a suspect. If you ask some one to leave your property and they refuse you are within the state law to shot them on the spot. They use to fine you one dollar. This was to protect you from any other liability.
    +4
    nuff said
  • American☆Atheist 2012/06/12 19:03:08
    American☆Atheist
  • Sheila America... 2012/06/12 19:19:44
    Sheila
    +1
    Link is 404d.
  • America... Sheila 2012/06/13 16:02:06
    American☆Atheist
    So, I was just pointing out the link is crap
  • Sheila America... 2012/06/13 17:40:07
    Sheila
    +1
    Well since you did not say that I actually thought you might have some additional info. You didn't. But hey, thanks for the "so". My kids are at their Dad's house and I haven't heard that all week...
  • 4570GOVT 2012/06/12 18:52:40
    4570GOVT
    +6
    GOOD LAW ! .............. and i have family in Law Enforcement .
  • Walt 2012/06/12 18:47:49 (edited)
    Walt
    +6
    Everyone has the right to self defense, regardless of who they are defending themselves from.

What I gather from the video is that these particular authoritarian cops are idiots.
  • Charles E 2012/06/12 18:34:43
    Charles E
    +8
    If it is in self defense a civilian may not even know he is shooting a cop.
  • rightside 2012/06/12 18:23:01
    rightside
    +10
    Here in Spokane Wa, we had a cop kill a man for pulling a gun on him on the man's property.
    Seems this neighborhood had plenty of break ins and the police were unable to do anything.
    A man went out at night with a gun to question an unmarked car on his property. The cop shot and killed him.
    They cop got off scott free. I find this very suspicious .
  • Charles E rightside 2012/06/12 18:38:31
    Charles E
    +5
    Perfect example of why the Indiana law is not only justified but needed in other states.

However the homeowner might have called 911 first.
  • rightside Charles E 2012/06/12 18:44:08
    rightside
    +5
    He was kind of an "old goat" type of man and considered himself capable of taking care of himself.
    Plus the fact that the cops hadn't done much to stop the crime in their neighborhood.
  • Sheila 2012/06/12 18:19:17 (edited)
    Sheila
    +6
    That video is amazing isn't it? I have seen it before and it never fails to shock people.

Cops are NOT above the law. Now they need to pass a YOU CAN record the police as long as you are not in their way. That is another one that is amazing to me. That in most states it is illegal to film a cop at work even though as long as I am not breaking a law I am his boss and he is accountable to me not the other way around.
  • Cognito22 Sheila 2012/06/12 18:32:49
    Cognito22
    +5
    Love ya, Sheila.
    You always contribute something thought provoking and worthwhile.
    Don't think it's not noticed.
  • Cognito22 Cognito22 2012/06/12 18:44:45
    Cognito22
    +1
    You most especially, Tem.
    I just ride on your coattails.
  • Sheila Cognito22 2012/06/12 19:17:53
    Sheila
    +1
    Thank you!! I REALLY appreciate that!!
  • Cognito22 Sheila 2012/06/12 19:30:53
    Cognito22
    +2
    My pleasure.

1 Thessalonians 5:11
  • momma-o... Sheila 2012/06/12 20:27:54
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    Oh I like this guy, he's right.
  • Theresa 2012/06/12 18:06:47
    Theresa
    +10
    I doubt anyone will shoot a cop lawfully fulfilling their duties. It is the ones who try to go above the law which this law is aimed.
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2012/06/12 18:04:35
    Artist~PWCM~
    +7
    We could use a law like that here. The cops are bullies at best...downright dangerous the rest of the time.
  • ordman 2012/06/12 17:54:05
    ordman
    +11
  • Sheila ordman 2012/06/12 18:22:01
    Sheila
    +6
    http://teapartyeconomist.com/...

In case anyone else says why no link!
  • toni Sheila 2012/06/12 20:43:31
    toni
    Try this link. Make sure after reading what the blogger says that you also read the comment by leland35. It is the second comment.

http://advanceindiana.blogspo...

2014/10/21 13:39:58