In Wake of Newtown Shooting, School Safety Procedures Are Under Review Nationwide: Do Teachers Need More Emergency Training?

Following the Newtown, Connecticut massacre, schools may have to adopt the motto "expect the unexpected," when it comes to emergency situations. No one could have ever expected a young adult male to open fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 26 people in total--let alone 20 children. Now a community and an entire country is seeking answers.

There were teachers who were able to hide their students and save lives in the process. Others, like the Sandy Hook principal, did their best to stop now-deceased gunman Adam Lanza, 20, but she lost her life in the process. The Sandy Hook staff members, the ones who lived and the ones who were tragically killed, seem to have done what they could to protect students themselves.

The Newtown tragedy does put current American schools' safety procedures into question, as to whether they should be revised and innovated. Everyone begs that something like the Newtown tragedy or remotely like it never occurs again, but recent history says schools and teachers specifically, should expect the unexpected. Whether it means taking more action during school lockdowns or some other type of rule change/suggestions, safety of students and faculty will now be judged in a different light through the country.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-safety-experts-dis...

• admiralmeep 2013/03/06 02:41:04 (edited)
    admiralmeep
    +2
    It would make sense to me cause I can defend myself. If I was a teacher I would carry a pocket knife and some handcuffs. I would also keep the kids in a dark corner. Another thing is bug the door for saftey. I would also do a few other techy things.
  • Ally 2012/12/29 05:56:26
    Ally
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2012/12/29 01:01:17
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Not all teachers but a handful. While some teachers have never touched a weapon of any type in their lifetimes, others have fired and possibly even reloaded thousands of rounds.
  • Grammar Freak 2012/12/25 19:27:30
  • Whodini 2012/12/21 19:28:45
    Whodini
    +1
    But I don't think arming teachers is the right approach. Get trained professionals for that.
    We don't expect police officers, security guards and soldiers to be ready to teach math.
  • Willy 2012/12/20 20:43:37
    Willy
    +2
    Teachers need to be trained and armed. We have hundreds of schools with armed security and these schools have no trouble. Shooters always pick gun free zones to do their shooting.
    gun free zone
  • Resp 2012/12/20 19:26:06
    Resp
    +2
    Schools need armed guards.
  • frank 2012/12/20 19:19:18
    frank
    +2
    They should have the choice to decide if they need more training or if they want to be able to carry a concealed weapon.
  • kmay 2012/12/20 18:53:35
    kmay
    +2
    With the option to carry!
  • WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB 2012/12/20 18:31:09
    WannaBeRSC the Contrarian SOB
    No, it appears they need more weapons training. Sure cure for a nutcase in your school is a loving double tap to the head.
  • Glfer65 2012/12/20 18:20:29
    Glfer65
    +1
    I feel as a country we have neglected our school system overall. Education is the top of the list on everyones budgets to cut and it shows.From lack of proper training of our teachers to the poor result on the test scores all over the nation.
    So yes we need to have our teachers involved with more training in situations such as this and hopefully be able to do more and prevent loss of lives. In the end of all this money still is the problem until we as a country do something about it.
  • Oaces_b... Glfer65 2012/12/20 19:29:16
  • Glfer65 Oaces_b... 2012/12/20 22:39:39
    Glfer65
    Oh I am sure you are colorful alright
  • Oaces_b... Glfer65 2012/12/20 22:41:27
  • Don Wenk 2012/12/20 18:19:21
    Don Wenk
    +1
    This training must include weapons training. Then the children will be protected.
  • FanOreilly 2012/12/20 18:11:45
    FanOreilly
    +1
    Schools need to have the option to arm.
  • S123 FanOreilly 2013/02/18 03:20:01
    S123
    What about emegency training that includes shooting a gun?
  • FanOreilly S123 2013/02/18 03:30:03
    FanOreilly
    Schools, and parents decide.
  • Mog of War 2012/12/20 18:05:03
    Mog of War
    +1
    And schools need armed guards and metal detectors.
  • Glfer65 Mog of War 2012/12/20 18:21:46
    Glfer65
    +1
    Some schools already have them......look at the major cities in the poverty areas and you will see schools with them
  • Mog of War Glfer65 2012/12/20 18:38:26
    Mog of War
    +1
    Yes, and with all the other problems they have, mass shootings is not one of them.
  • Glfer65 Mog of War 2012/12/20 18:46:04
    Glfer65
    +3
    Wish we could predict someone who will go in should everyone they can before taking their own lives but we really can't. This person could have just walked in and killed one person for all we know.
    We will never have the answer truly as he is dead by his own hand. We can only speculate what was on his mind at the time. Truth is even if we have all that you said in every school people forget it cost money and our government has been very stingy about spending more on education.
    Raising taxes does not guarantee the money will go directly to that as school administrations have a tendency to take from that for other uses. In CA Reagan cut the budget for mental aid and a bunch of them were released here.
    The same has been done across the country so think if we had been able to keep the programs on this we might not have the killings.
  • Mog of War Glfer65 2012/12/20 19:21:27
    Mog of War
    +1
    The solution can never start with the funding. Action has to be planned, and funding has to be allocated to the action afterwards. Making our schools defensible could be shoe-horned into a defense bill, and that might succeed in getting buttloads more funding for our schools, as a byproduct, since the government sure does love defense spending.
  • Glfer65 Mog of War 2012/12/20 22:41:22
    Glfer65
    +1
    So then we have to wait and see. By then we may have more shootings in between. Usual that the politicians will run this up the flag pole to better their own agenda
  • Mog of War Glfer65 2012/12/22 15:17:30
    Mog of War
    +1
    And fixing the problem with any degree of efficacy does take an arrow out of their quiver.
  • FlyGalsMom Mog of War 2012/12/21 18:39:06
    FlyGalsMom
    In the case of Lanza ~ I don't think a metal detector would have helped~nor in the AZ shooting of the congresswoman~
  • Mog of War FlyGalsMom 2012/12/22 16:29:39
    Mog of War
    Why, did he use a gun made entirely out of ceramics and plastics?

And in the case of the Arizona Shooting, the manner in which the massacre took place, might have actually yielded higher body counts if he had chosen to use a knife instead. Guns are unwieldy at point-blank range, and he was ultimately detained on reload. As it is, inside the crowd he got detained rather quickly, had the shots been fired from outside the crowd, some members of the crowd who were armed would have had a clear shot to take him down.
  • FlyGalsMom Mog of War 2013/01/04 07:43:54
    FlyGalsMom
    No He did not use a gun of ceramics nor plastics ~ Lanza Shot out a window and entered that way~ no metal detector would have helped~ In the case of the Congresswoman Gifford there was no metal detector as they were standing outside of a building doing their press photos with their constituants that came to see them~
    As for the rest of your post TO ME~~ I don't see where I said all that you replied to ME~~reading comprehension~~ It's a beautiful thing LOL~
  • KelciLynDiNatale 2012/12/20 02:12:28
    KelciLynDiNatale
    +1
    It's hard to prepare for those kinds of situations because a lot of people are thinking 'It'll never happen to me" When in reality it can happen to anyone. So yes I do believe more safety procedures should be taken.
  • Bill 2012/12/20 00:49:33 (edited)
    Bill
    +3
    They need a Deutscher SturmGewehr.oder Sturm Gewehr
    (German assault rifle.or Storm rifle)
    Here is a picture of my first grade teacher. He kept us safe.
    SturmGewehrBearingFirstGradeTeacher
  • gstrahan 2012/12/19 21:32:25
    gstrahan
    +2
    This kind of training
    teachers with firearms
  • llamalife44 2012/12/19 20:10:31
    llamalife44
    +3
    yes...with weapons
  • Bouts2getitpoppinz 2012/12/19 19:46:40
    Bouts2getitpoppinz
    +2
    As far as teachers need the right to be armed I strongly disagree. I went to a rough school
    where the majority of students didnt have to much. The teachers knew it and abused talked down to and demeened us and sometimes threw books at us because they knew "some" of us had parents who wouldnt care enough to put a stop to it

. I remember one of my teachers hit a girl in the face with a textbook so she got up slapped him in the face and they began fighting in the class. The person who committed that shooting was a "PERSON" teachers are "PEOPLE" Teachers have done horrible unimaginable things to there students and some think they should have guns?

I think its a matter of school security ill never forget back when i was 10 years old i walked to and from school i didn't take the bus. So one day it was lunch time I realized i left my project at home got up walked passed numerous school security guards teachers and the principle walked out the front door walked all the way home got my project and walked back without being asked so much as a single question 1 time nobody even knew i had ever left. Thats part of the reason things like this happen Big burly convicts have very heavy protection in prison but innocent little schoolkids who cant fend for themselves have......? Maybe one ...

I think its a matter of school security ill never forget back when i was 10 years old i walked to and from school i didn't take the bus. So one day it was lunch time I realized i left my project at home got up walked passed numerous school security guards teachers and the principle walked out the front door walked all the way home got my project and walked back without being asked so much as a single question 1 time nobody even knew i had ever left. Thats part of the reason things like this happen Big burly convicts have very heavy protection in prison but innocent little schoolkids who cant fend for themselves have......? Maybe one fat lazy school security guard who doesn't even really watch the kids. 9/11 made us tighten airport security school security should be next.

I have heard of many police officers sitting in a parking lot all day doing nothing but getting paid while being on "patrol" Well im not blaming the officer that's what he was instructed to do but wouldn't a better use be to have some officers in the school 1-2 to make sure the kids are ok for the day? that would be one thing that could help i know when i was a kid i always felt safe when the police were around and they always let me pet there horses when they were riding them lol.
  • Bill Bouts2g... 2012/12/20 00:51:03
    Bill
    +1
    They're not talking about arming ANY teacher at the front door.
  • Mog of War Bouts2g... 2012/12/20 18:41:47
    Mog of War
    That's why I don't feel the armed agent needs to be a teacher, or anyone with the authority to punish a student. Teachers and faculty already hold coercive power over students, and whoever is armed to defend them also gains a separate coercive power that ought to be kept in the hands of a separate entity.
  • Bill Mog of War 2012/12/20 19:01:41
    Bill
    You show symptoms of paranoia or at least excessive anxiety or you're just plain conspiratorial.
    Johnny, stop talking or I will use this gun to kill you.
    Johnny, sit up or I will use this gun to kill you.
    Johnny, go to your seat or I will use this gun to kill you.
    Johnny, come in now or I will use this gun to kill you.
    The list goes on and on.
  • Mog of War Bill 2012/12/20 19:42:14
    Mog of War
    So I'm paranoid for pointing out the obvious reality of a situation? Teacher's and faculty have coercive power over students, and they must have these powers in order to do their jobs effectively. The proper exercise of said powers is one of the important characteristics of a properly ran facility. The abuse or negligence of said powers is one primary characteristics of a poorly ran facility.

Additionally separation of powers is one of the primary tenets of the Federalist ideology, which is cornerstone to the foundations of our democracy. The theory behind separation of powers is simple, put different powers in the hands of different people, and that minimizes conflicts of interests. Simply put, a teacher's responsibilities are not the same as a principals, are not the same as a security guards. Applied in a broader sense we get the division of our government into three branches, and it even is at play in our houses of Congress having multiple committees, and the executive branch being administered with separate agencies, The Department of Education being one such agency.

So when I say that every teacher in this country is a federal bureaucrat, that isn't a paranoid, fear driven statement. It's a plain statement of fact, motivated simply by pragmatic observation, not charged...

So when I say that every teacher in this country is a federal bureaucrat, that isn't a paranoid, fear driven statement. It's a plain statement of fact, motivated simply by pragmatic observation, not charged with any real emotion at all. I used to get a rather ironic laugh out of it, but really there's no irony to it either. It's a direct and logical result of applied Federalism, that every public school is a government facility, every public educator is a federal bureaucrat, hell every student is come to think of it. It's not paranoia, or the result of any conspiracy. It just is what it is.

Maybe you're just pojecting YOUR ANXIETY on the implications of it. Or maybe you just need to dispel this mystique people seem to have about the government.
  • Bill Mog of War 2012/12/20 20:45:34
    Bill
    Hmm. Well written but wrong.
    There is a distinct difference between authoritative coercion (being in charge and obeyed) and coercive threats that a student feels because a teacher, with qualifications, carries or has access to a weapon. This weapon should not be on display, i.e. visibly on a belt or strapped to a leg. Students may or may not know about its presence (preferably not) but should and would not feel intimidated by it.

You don't have to get all Jeffersonian on me and reissue the "Federalist Papers" and explain the separation of powers. We don't have to compartmentalize this issue that much. In the absence of one or more armed, plain clothes security guards, some teachers, who could assume such responsibility, be able to carry or have available a weapon. It's not something I would wish for, but economics and feasibility kick in.

I'm under no illusion about "the government". But, power resides with the people and sometimes the people have to take meaningful action.
  • Mog of War Bill 2012/12/20 19:49:43
    Mog of War
    More on topic, the reality is, teachers who abuse their power are the minority, but they are present, and they will seek the places they feel they are most likely to get away with what they do. Every system has abusers. A security guard could become abusive of his powers; however, the security guard does not have the same level of access to a student that a teacher, coach, principal, or counselor does. And here with the shear length of this list of roles I have already implicitly elucidated that it would be prudent and consistent to make security guard a separate role.
  • juneathomas 2012/12/19 19:01:02

2014/12/21 17:59:37