In Miami the primary language is Spanish, more immigrants (legal and illegal) would rather not learn English. Should we make it a law that the countries language is English Only?

lady bear 2008/05/30 05:52:28
Yes, This is The United States of America, NOT South America
No. Spanish should be spoken here
Spanish Becoming the Primary Language in Miami
By Gisela Salomon, Associated Press
CNSNews.com
May 29, 2008

Miami (AP) - Melissa Green's mother spoke Spanish, but she never learned -- her father forbid it. Today, that's a frequent problem in this city where the English-speaking population is outnumbered.

The 49-year-old flower shop owner and Miami native said her inability to speak "espanol" makes it difficult to conduct business, seek help at stores and even ask directions. She finds it "frustrating."

"It makes it hard for some people to find a job because they don't speak Spanish, and I don't think that it is right," said Green, who sometimes calls a Spanish-speaking friend to
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNa...

• Elle (Always for McCain) 2008/05/30 06:01:25
    Elle (Always for McCain)
    +16
    Immigrants can choose to learn Eng. or not, their choice. However, as an Eng. speaker I should not have to learn another language in order to talk to them. I lived in Germany for 3 years, guess what I had to learn some German and I didn't expect everyone or the signs to be in Eng. Learn it if you want but don't force me to learn your language.

• mrorganic77 2008/07/03 19:58:43
    mrorganic77
    +1
    English was made the official language about 200 years ago. Now there are many trying to make it the official language again. I think that English should be the official language and that only english be used officially and that government should be required to use only English. But I don't think that is going to happen. But I think it should.
  • fernand... mrorgan... 2013/09/14 17:05:03
    fernando garcia
    +2
    Spanish has been the Official language in 1/2 EU during 300 years, and spanish heritage is important. Spanish from SPAIN ( Europe)
  • The Beaver 2008/06/09 23:20:54
    The Beaver
    +2
    It should be a required law that is enforced, immigrants need to speak English if they are gonna live here!
  • allisior The Beaver 2012/01/28 04:20:23
    allisior
    +3
    Just kick all of them out. They're no good anyway no matter if the learn English or not or whether they're illegal or legal. I want them out. These Ibero-Indians and all the other third world invaders are a bunch of ugly,violent immoral people living off of the back of Whites.
  • Kika 2008/06/06 22:43:32
    Kika
    As a Miamian and a cuban american I am embarrassed at how uninterested some people are to learn english. The way I look at is that if you go to any other country in the world, you need to learn the language of the country. Maybe not speak it perfectly, but definately be able to communicate. Down here it all depends where you go. In the vast majority of the middle class to upper class neighborhoods you are going to find that the majority of the residents are bilingual (with the exception of maybe grandma lol).
    I don't think it should be a law that english is the only language allowed, but I do think that immigrants need to learn english. I stress the importance of learning the language whenever I encounter an immigrant.
  • Not Einstein 2008/06/06 17:45:08
    Not Einstein
    +1
    All previous immigrants to this country have learned to use the English language, at least while out in society. Many of them continued to speak their native tongue at home and with other immigrants, but typically that only lasted through one, perhaps two, generations. The earliest immigrants to my state of Minnesota were mainly Norwegians, Germans and Swedes. As an American of Norwegian descent, the only person I ever heard speak Norwegian was my paternal grandmother’s second husband, who had emigrated to the US as a child. America is a melting pot of peoples from various cultures with differing languages. If we did not have one standard language, all would be chaos.

Here in Minnesota, where all immigrants are welcomed with open arms and even wider open state coffers, we have recently seen massive waves of immigrants, starting in the 1970s with the Hmong, a peasant people displaced from the Vietnam war, who were fleeing interment camps in Cambodia and elsewhere. The older generation had a difficult time learning English, but their children were both eager and encouraged to learn English. Many of them were classmates of my children in the 80s and early 90s and there was not an excessive amount of classroom time teaching these children English.

Then in the late 90s, an...

Then in the late 90s, an influx of Africans from Somalia escaped the genocide and persecution of their country for the US. By far the largest group of Somalis settled in Minnesota. But rather than peasants, the majority of emigrants were educated, professional people. Many already knew English and those who did not learned quickly. However, because the Somalis believe they are in the US temporarily, choosing to return to Somalia when the genocide ends, and because they are Muslim, they have done very little to assimilate into our western culture. They continue to speak their own language amongst themselves, but speak English when out in society at large.

The Mexican immigrants, illegal or not, have come to the land of opportunity, which their government has told them will take care of their every need. Many seem to have a skewed view of what the USA “owes” them. They wish to hang onto their culture (which is admirable) but do not wish to take part at all in US culture, except to clamor for their perceived “rights.” They have become adept at filing lawsuits, protesting and marching while carrying their Mexican flags rather than American flags, and demanding their “rights” even while they are here illegally. One of their “rights” is to speak only Spanish, and demand that all signs, newspapers and TV channels acquiesce to this “right” by providing not only the English language, but Spanish, too.

I really am not Einstein, but I say enough is enough! Either learn English, the language used in the USA in classrooms, boardrooms, stores, restaurants, etc., and learn the American culture, or go home.

PS: After purchasing a timeshare in Mexico with two other people, all three of us learned Spanish, to some degree, in order to speak with the people around us. It was really not necessary, as 99% of them knew English, but we felt that we should know something of our host country, even if we were only there two weeks of the year.
  • highdesertgemini 2008/06/06 07:06:37
    No. Spanish should be spoken here
    highdesertgemini
    No, I don't think it should be a law. English should be the primary language of each and every business operating in the United States. Anyone living in a country other than his or her own should be expected to communicate in the language of the host country. Translation from English to any other language should be an accomodation, not an expectation (and certainly not a law).
  • STRONG WOMAN 2008/06/04 17:01:53
    STRONG WOMAN
    +1
    Sorry i have a Spanish family but i think it is nesscary for them to speak our language!!!
  • ksyvicks 2008/06/04 04:49:50
  • lady bear ksyvicks 2008/06/05 04:05:27
    lady bear
    +1
    Did you mean to answer Yes speak english? Cause from your explanations it seems that you want English to be the National language.
  • ksyvicks lady bear 2008/06/05 17:19:35
  • PigsOnSoma 2008/06/03 22:56:56
    PigsOnSoma
    In all fairness you must teach both, but Spanish should be the second language.

If for no other reason, think of election time. How are US citizens, who speak no English, going to understand the issues presented to them? It might work on a local level, but by the time you get to the Senate campaigns you're going to understand squat. And having your district Congressman doing the translation for you simply doesn't wash.

And it's healthy to know more than one language.
  • lady bear PigsOnSoma 2008/06/04 01:53:24
    lady bear
    Yes but to become a citizen they have to know English. and last time I checked you have to be a citizen to vote. therefore they should know how to speak English in order to vote.
    It is good to know more than one language but this is America and if you want to live here and be a citizen then learn the language
  • PigsOnSoma lady bear 2008/06/04 15:06:05
    PigsOnSoma
    True, but there is an increasing number of people born in the US to immigrants, who by that very fact are US citizens, with the right to vote. I think this issue refers more to them than to their parents, since they are raised in Spanish speaking homes, and Spanish speaking communities.
  • mick 2008/06/02 20:39:41
    mick
    +2
    Last time I checked this still is the United States of America!

"Show some respect speak english or please learn how, there should be
    no special preferences for anyone.
  • ZEKE 2008/06/01 22:11:33 (edited)
    No. Spanish should be spoken here
    ZEKE
    +2
    Hit wrong key English not spanish....

My grand parents came from Italy they forbid my father and his brother to speak anything but English. Grandpa told them this is our home now we need to learn to be American. If you wan to speak Spanish in your home that is fine. But out in among the people please be courteous enough to speak English. My daughter just graduated from high school, they are taking money from the schools. They just cut the sports programs so we can have Spanish students taught in Spanish because it is to much for them to learn English. She also had Spanish born kids in her Spanish class hmmm.... you would think they would learn English!
  • meowomon 2008/06/01 20:27:18
    No. Spanish should be spoken here
    meowomon
    +2
    But I am a believer in heavily fining companies who hire undocumented workers because they'll work cheaper. It just encourages illegal immigration, lowers the standard of living in the US and encourages corporations to abuse people who are here illegally.
  • PigsOnSoma meowomon 2008/06/03 23:01:06
    PigsOnSoma
    But they need a bit more incentive than just a fine. Do you have any idea what it costs a company that tries to hire a foreign worker legally. It's outrageous having to pay for all the paperwork etc... And these yahoos are criminals.
  • meowomon PigsOnSoma 2008/06/06 16:05:32
    meowomon
    +1
    Yeh, but some low level manager will take the heat. Hit'em where it hurts and for business, that is in the pocketbook!
  • PigsOnSoma meowomon 2008/06/06 16:44:33
    PigsOnSoma
    +1
    Absolutely!
  • Duck 2008/06/01 03:26:08
    Duck
    +1
    If they want to prosper, then they need to learn the language of our commerce and that is English. So many different people from different cultures have come to the USA, and have adopted English so that they can thrive and prosper... I don't understand why the Latino culture especially thinks that they should be able to change our common language.
  • Deleted 2008/06/01 03:13:14
  • Amanda †In God We Trust† 2008/05/31 23:15:03
    No. Spanish should be spoken here
    Amanda †In God We Trust†
    +1
    This is the UNITED states of America. I think that instead all of the people here that speak English should learn spanish, if anything
  • Jerry (... Amanda ... 2008/05/31 23:18:19
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +2
    The people who don't speak English should probably learn though , don't ya think?
  • Amanda ... Jerry (... 2008/05/31 23:20:49
    Amanda †In God We Trust†
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be forced on anybody to learn a language.
  • Deleted Amanda ... 2008/06/01 03:11:11
  • Jerry (... Amanda ... 2008/06/02 02:14:16
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    Go to sleep , you have school in the morning.
  • lady bear Amanda ... 2008/06/02 04:32:54
    lady bear
    +1
    They come wanting all the tax payer payed benefits, they want to be part of this Country then they should learn the language. You are 16, you haven't had to live in the real world. You haven't been paying for the illegals and seeing your cities being overrun to where the Citizens of this country feel they are being pushed out because they don't speak a FOREIGN language well enough. It drives a divide in the country. Over these 200+ years that this country has been NO other immigrant group demanded the rights as to speaking only their language or getting benefits for nothing. If you want to live here then Learn the language and understand the culture. There are many many mixed cultures and each have their celebrations but they also have a respect and honor this country.
  • Pala Amanda ... 2008/06/03 03:22:34
    Pala
    The UNITED STATES of America are the 50 states that makes up the united states and its people who speak English.
  • Amanda ... Pala 2008/06/03 19:12:12
    Amanda †In God We Trust†
    yeah, but if people do not wish to learn the language, you shouldn't force them.
  • Pala Amanda ... 2008/06/03 21:30:46
    Pala
    We dont force them to come here and by coming here they need to learn the language. So they place themselves in the position of needing to learn the language. Almost all products we buy anyway accomodates those who speak other languages now, so this makes them lazy about learning English. We should stop making things so easy for them and make them learn the language by not accomodating the ones who dont know English. I believe if they are able to understand about our money, how much they get, and how much they spend then they should be able to learn the language.
  • STRONG ... Pala 2008/06/04 17:05:01
    STRONG WOMAN
    i agree because if we go to their county we would have to learn thier language!!!
  • No. Spanish should be spoken here
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    Just let nature take it's coarse. What difference does it make?
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/05/31 06:37:14
  • Amanda ... mk, Sma... 2008/06/02 02:08:11
    Amanda †In God We Trust†
    How would you like it if you moved, and you had some sort of problem with learning thier language, and you had to learn it?
  • mk, Sma... Amanda ... 2008/06/02 02:11:14
  • STRONG ... mk, Sma... 2008/06/04 17:05:33
  • Sheepdog 2008/05/31 05:37:19
    Sheepdog
    +1
    Many people, myself included, are surprised to learn that despite efforts over the years the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. No official language is mentioned or contemplated in the Constitution.
    It would save a lot of time, effort in printing and money because there are so many different languages we can’t keep up with them all. With 82% Americans speaking English a law making it the official language would make sense to me.
  • Beloved 2008/05/31 05:34:19
    No. Spanish should be spoken here
    Beloved
    The whole purpous of the US is to not have these silly resricting rules put on us. SO making an official languages would be stupid, besides i like hearing spanish and german and italian everyonce and a while. It makes life more interesting. I think though it's only curtious to learn to speak the language of the place you are living. If i were ever to travel somewhere i know i would learn the language so i could be understood and understand what i'm being told. it's inconsiderate to refuse to learn english if you are living in the US, it's kinda like a spit in the face. We're letting you live here, illegal or not and you think you're culture is so much better you wont learn about ours. So move back and live in that wonderful culture. Keep your identity and never lose touch with your hearatige but don't be rude to the country your living in.
  • tomfun 2008/05/31 05:19:11
    tomfun
    +2
    In america if you want to be an american you should learn to speek english. It is the language of our forfathers. it is not that difficult to learn enough to get by....

2014/07/28 11:25:06