In Honor of Astroboy, Did You Know?

Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET 2012/09/13 16:53:10
I Knew
I Didn't Know
Did You Know An Estimated 16 Million of the US Citizens Living In Poverty Are Children?

Definitions

The federal poverty guidelines are issued annually by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The demographic findings on this page were calculated using a more complex version of the federal poverty measure—the thresholds issued by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more information about federal poverty measures, see The 2010 HHS Poverty Guidelines.

Child
A child is defined as an individual under the age of 18. Children living independently, living with a spouse, living in group quarters, and children ages 14 and under living with only unrelated adults are excluded from these data.
Low Income
Families and children are defined as low-income if the family income is less than twice the federal poverty threshold (see Poor).
Parent
Among children who do not live with at least one parent, parental characteristics are those of the householder and/or the householder's spouse.
Poor
Families and children are defined as poor if family income is below the federal poverty threshold. The federal poverty level for a family of four with two children was $22,350 in 2011, $22,050 in 2010, and $22,050 in 2009.

http://www.everychildmatters.org/storage/documents/pdf/report...

http://www.npc.umich.edu/poverty/

http://www.nccp.org/media/releases/release_34.html

http://nccp.org/profiles/TX_profile_7.html

nbsp httpwww nccp orgmediareleasesrelease34 html nbsp httpnccp orgprofilestxprofile7 html nbsp
nbsp httpwww nccp orgmediareleasesrelease34 html nbsp httpnccp orgprofilestxprofile7 html nbsp 27% (606,604) of children, under age 6, live in poor families.

nbsp nbsp 27 606604 children age 6 live poor families 22% (954,832) of children, age 6 or older, live in poor families.

nbsp 22 954832 children age 6 older live poor families

nbsp 22 954832 children age 6 older live poor families 23% (1,293,438) of children in urban areas live in poor families.

families nbsp 23 1293438 children urban areas live poor families 28% (173,533) of children in rural areas live in poor families.

In Honor of Astro Boy; this was something he cared deeply about, as do I.

astro boy

• Xerxes 2012/09/13 16:54:48
    I Knew
    Xerxes
    +10
    Reason I think we need to care of our children first and put the rest of the world on the back burner

• Latti I... Melizmatic 2012/09/14 02:18:54
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Ditto; he must not have read.

did not read gif
  • Melizmatic Latti I... 2012/09/14 02:25:12
    Melizmatic
    +3
    Apparently.

Some are so quick to spread the toxicity and vitriol...
  • konalimu 2012/09/14 00:52:33
    I Knew
    konalimu
    +1
    15 million more Americans on food stamps, nearly 300,000.00 on disability in Apri alone,
    nearly 50% is not paying any fed liabilities, the near same 49% are on some form of fed assistance programs.

We are almost Greece, we can't survive another 4 years of these madness!!!
  • shane 2012/09/14 00:43:57
    I Knew
    shane
    +2
    I didnt know the numbers but i have seen it with my own eyes.

I thought something tragic had happened to Astro-Boy when i read the title.
    I dont actually know him but we have exchanged comments in the past so i was troubled.
    Mean.
  • Latti I... shane 2012/09/14 01:11:57
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    He is doing well.
  • Mrs. V 2012/09/14 00:36:21
    I Knew
    Mrs. V
    +1
    What happened to Astroboy?
  • Latti I... Mrs. V 2012/09/14 01:12:26
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +3
    He is doing well; just decided to leave the site a while back.
  • Mrs. V Latti I... 2012/09/14 01:45:20
    Mrs. V
    +1
    Oh, okay, thanks for answering me.
  • Robinhood 2012/09/13 22:19:53
    I Didn't Know
    Robinhood
    +1
    astro boy!
  • Melizmatic Robinhood 2012/09/13 23:22:23
    Melizmatic
    +5
    He is missed.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/09/13 20:43:32
    I Knew
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +5
    One in five American children will go to bed hungry tonight. 1 in 5. How can there be anything more important than that? Please, don't judge them by the experiences in their lives....it's not their fault. They're kids. And there is no GOOD reason why anyone isn't doing SOMETHING to help these kids.

note: Damn, do I miss you Astro.....
  • Melizmatic bags th... 2012/09/14 02:23:33
  • redhorse29 2012/09/13 20:35:42
    I Knew
    redhorse29
    +4
    Thank obama when he sends more billions to the muslims nations that harbor, protect and encourage anti American hate. Thank obama and the liberal progressive elitist that pay themselves ever increasing salaries and benefits. Thank the media and intellectuals for siding with the liberal progressive movement. Thank big government for failing the citizens.
  • MR. 2012/09/13 20:14:30
    I Knew
    MR.
    +3
    *(ROMNEY/RYAN 2012') -"Until there's a CHANGE there's no HOPE for the children!"- *(BELIEVE IT!!)
  • LittleMistersMom 2012/09/13 19:23:19
    I Didn't Know
    LittleMistersMom
    +3
    That breaks my heart. I think it's sad when people can't afford the proper birth control and bring more and more children into this world already living in poverty, but the truth is, there are so many families right now that were doing well, and then due to the economy, were thrown into poverty level for reasons beyond their control.
    Also: I miss AB
  • Melizmatic LittleM... 2012/09/14 02:23:43
  • elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard 2012/09/13 19:06:10
    I Didn't Know
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +4
    I didn't know the numbers. poverty USA kids
  • Lanikai elptrek... 2012/09/13 21:59:36
    +2
    Well, harsh as it is, poverty has been around since Adam and Eve, and poor people have access to the same free clinics and free birth control. SO, if you are poor don't have babies, if you have babies and become poor-go get some welfare. They give housing, food, electric, etc to illegals and citizens alike.

Help is already available, and NO, Ryans budget doesn't kill it, it DOES offer a traiing program to get OUT of it if you have the initiative to.
  • elptrek... Lanikai 2012/09/14 07:51:10
    elptrek P.H.A.E.T.'s wizard
    +2
    There wasn't capitalism, during Adam and Eve's time, so how can there be poverty? Copy and paste here.
    (Source: Kaiser Family Foundation, CBO)

Who would that impact? First, by overturning the ACA, the Ryan plan would prevent 11 million people from gaining Medicaid coverage by 2022, according to the Congressional Budget Office’s latest estimates.
    That’s why the CBO believes that $750 billion in Medicaid cuts under the Ryan plan would “probably require states to reduce payments to providers, curtail eligibility for Medicaid, provide less extensive coverage to beneficiaries, or pay more themselves than would be the case under current law.”
    If states maintained their current level of spending for each Medicaid patient, 19 million more people would have to be cut from the program in 2021 because of Ryan’s block-grant reform, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. If states managed to curb health-care spending growth in Medicaid, 14 million beneficiaries would still lose Medicaid coverage under the Ryan plan. And that’s on top of the 11 million Americans who would lose Medicaid coverage because the Ryan plan would repeal Obamacare. So all in all, Ryan’s cuts could mean as many as 30 million Medcaid beneficiaries lose their coverage.
  • Veritas 2012/09/13 18:41:36
    I Knew
    Veritas
    +2
    I was an emancipated minor, so I clearly know what it is like to be on the streets. Especially in a mean city like NY.

My question is why is this in honor of Astroboy?
  • Latti I... Veritas 2012/09/13 18:53:12 (edited)
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +4
    He came up with "Did You Know?", which are a series of questions asking others if they know of certain issues around the world and within our country.
  • Veritas Latti I... 2012/09/14 20:32:30
    Veritas
    +1
    Oh yes! Thanks for refreshing my memory. :o)
  • WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA 2012/09/13 18:41:18
    I Knew
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    +3
    On Friday’s NBC Today, correspondent Tom Costello described how “Nearly one in six Americans is living in poverty. 16 million are children. That’s 3 million more than three years ago.” However, nowhere in his report on the growing problem did he mention the Obama administration‘s failed economic policies as a cause.
    Sorry Tommy Coburn: Obama & the Banking Cartel Already Cut Education Welfare Assistance By $100 Billion, Already Cut Food Stamps Welfare By $2.2 Billion, & Health Care Welfare By +$6.6 Billion.
    Instead, Costello lamented over possible cuts to government welfare programs: “It was 50 years ago that Sergeant Shriver led President Johnson’s war on poverty. Today his son, Mark, runs Save the Children in the U.S….[and] fears that programs like Head Start, which serve poor children, might face cuts in the next round of congressional budget cuts, just as more and more families find themselves struggling to put food on the table.”
    While Costello fretted over “congressional budget cuts,” a not-so-veiled reference to Republicans, on Thursday’s Nightly News, anchor Brian Williams focused on how “A lot of African-Americans in this country are getting flat out crushed in this economy,” while the “DC debate is often admittedly about tax cuts for the wealthy.”

And remember:

Obama ...&&

And remember:

Obama Cuts Welfare, While His Economic Advisory Board Chairman Increases American Poverty: Jeff Immelt, CEO Of General Electric & Owner Of NBC Urges More Welfare Debt For America ~ While Receiving $Billions In Taxpayer Bailout Money From Obama & Then Moves American Jobs Out To Other Countries, While Obama Nullifies Tax Obligations For G.E.
    Posted by Volubrjotr on September 16, 2011
  • Lanikai WF - Ru... 2012/09/13 22:00:40 (edited)
    +2
    But poverty has been around since the dawn of time, and it is not a resonsibility of the fed to "fix" it. It is an INDIVIDUAL responsibility to fix it.

But Obama has made it worse, harder and cut some vital services ALL the while blaming others.
  • WF - Ru... Lanikai 2012/09/14 13:09:11
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    Amen
  • Dwight PWCM 2012/09/13 18:11:05
    I Knew
    Dwight PWCM
    +4
    I grew up on the edge of poverty, and worked my butt off to avoid it.

Having parents that worked to better our lives helped a lot, too.
  • susan BN-0 2012/09/13 18:00:33
    I Knew
    susan BN-0
    +2
    It's so sad,I grew up poor,I know how hard It can be.
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/09/13 17:46:34
    I Didn't Know
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +7
    Puts things in perspective for me. We tend to focus on so many pointless things on this site and in the real world that we forget to help out our fellow man. No child should EVER go hungry.
  • Lanikai Caedus0... 2012/09/13 22:02:47
    +1
    Then convince the FED to stop shipping surplus food overseas and go back to surplus distributions here. Used to, people in need went to food distribution places and got food. Now they get food stamps that the parents sell for half the cash value to buy other things with.

PARENTS need to step up and STOP being greedy little, self absorbed pissers.
  • Caedus0... Lanikai 2012/09/13 22:19:18
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +6
    Do I look like your damn messenger boy? And this so not the thread for your political rhetoric..... keep it moving!!!!
  • Melizmatic Caedus0... 2012/09/13 22:23:31
  • Tarheel Caedus0... 2012/09/14 03:13:02
    Tarheel
    +2
    Thank you!
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/09/13 17:27:53
  • Melizmatic mk, Sma... 2012/09/13 17:30:06
    Melizmatic
    +6
    Astro?

He is.
  • mk, Sma... Melizmatic 2012/09/13 17:30:55
  • Melizmatic mk, Sma... 2012/09/13 17:35:04
    Melizmatic
    +6
    No, the real human being behind the persona is alive and well.

The internet personality, for all intents and purposes on this website, is dead.

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
  • mk, Sma... Melizmatic 2012/09/13 17:36:44
  • Melizmatic mk, Sma... 2012/09/13 17:37:20
    Melizmatic
    +5
    Funny how many people took that post literally...
  • mk, Sma... Melizmatic 2012/09/13 17:39:38
  • Melizmatic mk, Sma... 2012/09/13 17:43:29
    Melizmatic
    +5
    This is true; in the 2 years that I've been here, two members that I really liked passed away, and several more that I didnt know well did also.

You just never know.

2014/09/30 15:52:40