If you were a soldier would you invade Israel if Obama ordered it?

Foxhound BN0 2012/05/30 15:28:36
Related Topics: Israel, Obama
Yes. Orders are orders, right or wrong.
No. What did Israel do to us?

• Libertys Martyr 2012/05/31 07:31:37
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    Libertys Martyr
    +7
    The president doesn't (I mean, isn't supposed to) declare war himself. According to the constitution only congress is allowed to declare war.

• Cat 2012/09/23 02:49:23
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    Cat
    No because God promised that He will curse Israel's enemies.
  • Michaelene 2012/06/04 13:20:06
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    Michaelene
    +2
    No way in hell would I follow Obama's order, he's a dangerous man.
    Vote Obama out!
  • PaulBot415 2012/06/03 23:29:56
    Yes. Orders are orders, right or wrong.
    PaulBot415
    +1
    Though I would do it under protest. And if possible, report any unlawful orders given after the order to invade. But I'm not in the military, and if Obama invades Israel, he truly is a Muslim Traitor Bastard. That is the stupidest F*cking thing I have ever heard in my life, I refuse to believe this is being considered.
  • Foxhoun... PaulBot415 2012/06/04 00:48:09
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    He just announced it after Israel refused to hand over their nuclear launch codes to us. If they don't capitulate we'll probably invade within the next three months. He's nuts.
  • PaulBot415 Foxhoun... 2012/06/05 23:16:42
    PaulBot415
    Unbelievable. We need to get this idiot out of office.
  • mightymouse49 2012/06/02 21:13:20
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    mightymouse49
    +1
    Sometimes we have to disobey orders.
  • A Woman's View~JLA 2012/06/01 22:11:15
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    A Woman's View~JLA
    +2
    Israel is our ally... Not our enemy in the ME! The US Military has even trained with the IDF...which means the fellas and gals have made friends with each other. The US Military even knows that Israeli Intelligence Agency is better at giving information to keep them safe than any other...including their own! I truly don't think that any military personel would follow those orders. Orders are not orders per se....ask anyone who remembers the Nuremberg trials. A soldier can be found guilty even if following an order...there is no excuse!

+
  • jeane 2012/06/01 19:32:48 (edited)
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    jeane
    +5
    I wouldn't invade the Vatican on Obama's orders either or shoot down my own law abiding citizens to keep him in power.
  • Mungu 2012/06/01 19:22:23
    Yes. Orders are orders, right or wrong.
    Mungu
    +1
    Most excellent question. Would have been better or also interesting if Obama was not in it. Make it an order of Congress. We see who the real American patriots are.

GO USA! YEAH!
    Americans
  • TommyB 2012/06/01 14:16:54
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    TommyB
    +3
    Military members are only required to obey legal orders. If a superior orders a subordinate to do something obviously illegal, then the subordinate should not comply. So your other option is not a correct statement. As to attacking Israel on a whim, I would not comply. If the government of Israel should change and they became a threat to the U.S., I would do as ordered. The President is CINC but he is not a god to be worshipped and obeyed without question.
  • middlesex1957 2012/06/01 04:18:08
    Yes. Orders are orders, right or wrong.
    middlesex1957
    Soldiers go where their President and/or Congress send them. No soldier has the responcibility or the power to decide what military actions are good or bad. When you join the military you agree to kill who you are told to kill, and to die if you are told to die. That's what being in the military is. Don't like it, don't join it. "You can not prepare for war and peace at the same time.", Albert Einstein.
  • A Woman... middles... 2012/06/01 22:14:23
    A Woman's View~JLA
    +1
    Check out the Nuremberg Trials...soldiers have the responsibility to think for themselves also...an illegal order is still illegal no matter who gives it and a soldier who follows an illegal order is still subject to laws and can be punished.

+
  • anaid 2012/05/31 23:45:34
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    anaid
    +1
    I don't remember Obama ever making the slightest hint of invading Israel. Where did that come from???
  • jeane anaid 2012/06/01 19:34:52
    jeane
    Probably remembering Hitler and Co. What if the SS had refused to murder Jews?
  • veteran 2012/05/31 23:37:25
    No. What did Israel do to us?
    veteran
    +4
    No, and as a veteran I don't say that lightly. But our standing orders also tell us that we have the duty to decline to follow any unlawful order. Crap has to stop somewhere in the chain of command, and I'm afraid in this case it would be with me and anyone under my leadership. The "I was just following orders!" line doesn't hold water, regardless of who gave the order. In my opinion, when a commander in chief has demonstrated an unfitness for duty, it is up to the next in line, in this case, the vice president, to relieve him of duty. It's the military way. I'd risk the time in Leavenworth for a clear conscience.....and I suspect I'd be in good company. That is, unless the Army's gone completely to hell in a handbasket since I've been gone.
  • middles... veteran 2012/06/01 04:19:34
    middlesex1957
    You assume that an order to attack Israel would be an unlawful one. The question didn't include that at all.
  • A Woman... middles... 2012/06/01 22:15:50
    A Woman's View~JLA
    They are an ally....not an enemy at this time! So...yes it would be unlawful.

+
  • A Woman... veteran 2012/06/01 22:17:11
    A Woman's View~JLA
    Nope...it hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket! The military doesn't like Obi and they definitely wouldn't follow that order!

+
  • clasact 2012/05/31 22:47:49
    Yes. Orders are orders, right or wrong.
    clasact
    it would be do as ordered or face a long term in federal prison ,you take and oath when you join and it includes takeing orders you dont agree with
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/01 14:26:44
    TommyB
    +2
    You take an oath to obey lawful orders. Sometimes you have to illustrate with an absurdity. For example, I would refuse an order to rape another person or, say, to torture a prisoner. To comply would be to share equally in the guilt.
  • clasact TommyB 2012/06/01 14:59:11
    clasact
    thats not what the oath is about and has nothing to do with the question.When you join the service you agree to the terms you dont like them dont join
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/01 15:49:45
    TommyB
    +3
    Sorry, but a member of the military is not required to follow an unlawful order. If the order is inherently unlawful the member becomes equally as guilty as the issuer of the order.
  • clasact TommyB 2012/06/01 16:09:44
    clasact
    apparently you have never been in the service and have no clue as to what your talking about
  • A Woman... clasact 2012/06/01 22:19:27
    A Woman's View~JLA
    +2
    Apparently you don't know what you are talking about! I suspect you have never served in the Military.
    TommyB is correct. It is not a blind following of orders! Check out the Nuremberg Trials!

+
  • TommyB A Woman... 2012/06/02 02:35:56
    TommyB
    +1
    Danke.
  • A Woman... TommyB 2012/06/03 09:07:41
    A Woman's View~JLA
    +1
    You're welcome!

+
  • clasact A Woman... 2012/06/02 12:46:27
    clasact
    spent 26 months in Nam Im a Ret 1st Lt in the USMC so yes I have spent time in and go ahead and try to not follow orders in combat and see what happens you will come back in a box
  • A Woman... clasact 2012/06/03 09:12:28 (edited)
    A Woman's View~JLA
    Sir...my husband also was in Nam ...he served in the US Military for over 19 years. He left the military with the rank of Colonel. He said the same darn thing as TommyB....one does not follow orders blindly! The Nuremberg Trials are a testament as to what can happen to a soldier who does so...."I was just following orders" doesn't cut it!

+(edited for spelling)
  • clasact A Woman... 2012/06/03 09:15:20
    clasact
    glad he had it better then I did, lady
  • A Woman... clasact 2012/06/03 09:22:37
    A Woman's View~JLA
    Yeah...it was a real flippin Picnic I'm sure!! Being left out on your own in the jungle as a "Problem Solver"....when you are 6'4", blond haired and blue eyed....yeah real easy to hide and stay unnoticed! It was such a picnic that he hardly will speak about what he went through to this very day!
    I think that perhaps most of your Nam experience came from watching too many movies on the subject! Just my opinion....

+
  • clasact A Woman... 2012/06/03 09:33:32
    clasact
    belive what you want but just maybe like so many others of us he wont talk about some of the things he had to do over there,even to you
  • A Woman... clasact 2012/06/05 08:08:15
    A Woman's View~JLA
    Yeah...he won't tell me cuz he says he'd have to kill me if he did. Most of what he did was on a need to know basis.

BTW....if you were being threatened with a 45 revolver in your face....did you say anything to your Base Commander or any Higher Up on the Chain of Command?

Did you spend time in Prison for the crime of following that order to burn down the village?

+
  • clasact A Woman... 2012/06/05 11:41:58
    clasact
    no I nor anyone else ever reported it.we didnt feel like pulling point the rest of our tour or getting fragged and no no one did time for it either or anything else we did like many others
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/02 02:35:20
    TommyB
    +2
    I was on active duty in the military for 25 years serving in both the enlisted and the commissioned ranks. Not only is it incumbent upon a member of the military to disobey an unlawful order, that person can be prosecuted under tlhe Uniform Code of Military Justice if they follow the order. The "I was only following orders" defense" has been fraught with danger since first used in 1799. Many have been convicted, and some executed, for following orders.
  • clasact TommyB 2012/06/02 12:48:55
    clasact
    Go news for you I saw many a soilder try not to follow orders in Nam and they didnt come home .I did alot of things over there that still haunt me today but I would rather have done them and be alive then to have come home in a box
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/02 13:34:24
    TommyB
    +1
    If you are "Haunted" by what you did or didn't do, that's on you. My comments still stand and you are wrong.
  • clasact TommyB 2012/06/02 15:42:19
    clasact
    like I said you were not there you have no clue what I did or what went down but I will tell you this there are many in country that will never be found and didnt die from the enemy
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/02 18:59:27 (edited)
    TommyB
    +1
    How could you possibly know where I was and where I was not during 25 years of military service? We all have war stories but we don't have to marinate in them.

By the way. Your profile indicates you were born in 1960. The war in Nam was over in 1975. Are you saying you enlisted and saw combat before you were fifteen? And, then you were commissioned! Something doesn't compute.
  • clasact TommyB 2012/06/02 21:15:58
    clasact
    yea someone else pointed that out but I never got around to changing it
    as for your first comment I guess some of us didnt have so good as you
  • TommyB clasact 2012/06/02 22:25:23
    TommyB
    +1
    You just torpedoed your credibility. Have a nice day, i won't be back to check this thread.

2014/09/19 20:02:52