If you know that someone is suffering and it is within your power to help them, don't you have a moral obligation to do so?

Related Topics: Moral, Album

SLIDESHOW: .

1 of 1

.

.
  1. .

.

.

Nope
I think...

• Luca 2011/10/17 03:53:14
    I think...
    Luca
    I think the question is improperly framed and raises way too many issues to address here.

1. Morality is never an obligation...once it becomes an "obligation", it is then a Law. There is no virtue in obeying a Law, hence, law-abiding citizens are not necessarily "moral" citizens.

2. We were all born with the "rules"...save for a rainy day, etc etc...we KNEW the score...and so it boils down to this famous line: “I swear-by my life and my love of it-that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." Morality is when we CHOOSE to offer another our help. Life is tough, i do not ask anyone to care from me or my family. If we each take care of our OWN, that is the more MORAL thing to do, so we do not have to infringe upon others. Once my house is in order, I am in a better position to take care of another's.

3. There may be mitigating circumstances in which the Governments, either local or federal, SHOULD intervene and fulfill THEIR obligation to an individual. They have no right to impose this upon everyone. Those that applaud the Health Care Bill have not read the Health CAre Bill, so really have no clue what it is they are cheering. Whether you are Liberal or Conservative...you are SCREWED. You will HATE it. I have read i...

3. There may be mitigating circumstances in which the Governments, either local or federal, SHOULD intervene and fulfill THEIR obligation to an individual. They have no right to impose this upon everyone. Those that applaud the Health Care Bill have not read the Health CAre Bill, so really have no clue what it is they are cheering. Whether you are Liberal or Conservative...you are SCREWED. You will HATE it. I have read it. But for conversations sake, lets take one most basic and minor aspect of it.,.,.the "one-size-fits-all" nature of the Bill. You may be a healthy 25 year old male that now chooses to have only major medical insurance for about $90/mo. Now you will have to have full coverage, including maternity, and your cost will be about $400/month. Just wait until the young Liberals figure this one out!!! Just wait until these cheering young liberals find out they can/will be audited to insure compliance, and non-compliance will evoke heavy fines and penalities. They will love it!

4. We had in this country an Insurance company problem, not a health care problem. There will always be those that fall between the cracks...and the number of deaths in countries with Socialized Medicine is appalling, most them as a consequence of wait times. There is NO singular answer to anything, except that which we can do for ourselves. 50% of contribute much in the way of taxes...that IS our moral contribution if you will. If the government mismanages it, disappropriates it...blame them! If it were not for the bureaucracy, this man could possible have been treated. Medicare and Medicaide are there to help those in need. Let IT do its job.
  • EmrysRoberts 2011/09/29 15:42:44
    Nope
    EmrysRoberts
    you always have a choice and such a decision can be good or bad from different points of view,from a moral point of view it would be the right choice but not an obligation,
  • moonlight 2011/09/23 12:38:17
    moonlight
    I'll do it not Because I have to or because I need to to fell good about myself... I'll do it because I can..
  • Lady Yui 2011/09/20 21:33:41
    Nope
    Lady Yui
    If you see someone having their property stolen from them at gunpoint, do you also have a moral obligation to stop it? No matter how sick you are, or how much you are suffering, that does not entitle you to someone else's property against that person's will. Using the government to steal the property of other people to pay for your problems is just as much an immoral act as a person with means refusing to help you. Just because you think it's immoral for someone with the means to help to not do so doesn't give you the right to legislate morality down their throat. They're not doing it willingly, so it's still not moral, and you're now a thief and just as immoral as they are.
  • Matt M 2011/09/18 19:13:16
    I think...
    Matt  M
    To your credit DD, you have given the answers as yes/no/i think.

The reality is that fundamentally the answer is "yes". But that's not the way life works, because it's all about choices. If I see someone stepping in front of a bus, I would pull them back. If I needed to liquidate my assets to put my neighbor's kid into rehab, I would not.

It's a very artful video. Move on has created a simplistic persuasive moral dilemma and personalized it. It's effectively done.

But the collective reality is not that simple. The choices are not "do you care or not." The choices are what makes good policy sense. It has to be answered very disppasionately.

Is the lady in the video broke, I wonder? Or was she just thinking I should have saved her brother?
  • Jackie 2011/09/18 12:22:27
    Jackie
    You have to at least make an attempt. If you do nothing, you live with the weight of it on your shoulders.
  • atomikmom 2011/09/18 08:27:00
    atomikmom
    As a retired US Navy Nurse, it would be my duty
  • Tim 2011/09/18 03:15:50
    Tim
    Moral AND social!
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2011/09/17 18:38:11
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    I feel that it is. At least for me it is. I help for selfish reasons. I don't want to feel bad about myself, I want to feel good about myself. It's secondarily nice to know that I made someone else feel good. Just being honest.
  • Lady Whitewolf 2011/09/17 16:04:50 (edited)
    Rule #13 From The Warrior Code....

"No kit in distress OR danger is to be ignored, even if it might be from another Clan...."
  • mewycg 2011/09/17 08:17:37
    I think...
    mewycg
    +1
    Too bad that it's not possible to enforce moral obligation...But it's not unfortunately and never has been since the history of the world. I wasn't surprised when I saw this whooping-gleeful audience incident in the news a few days ago. I was disgusted by the audience reaction though. This is why you'll never see me promising my allegience to any political party.
  • nothingUnreal 2011/09/17 07:37:19
    nothingUnreal
    Yes, with the caveat that it isn't always so clear which path leads to less suffering. And remember, you can eliminate all suffering via extinction of the species. So it isn't quite that simple. But yes, the definition of morality is acting to reduce suffering instead of increase it.
  • TheMadChameleon 2011/09/17 06:55:28
    TheMadChameleon
    I believe so.
  • Jamacc 2011/09/17 06:39:48
    Jamacc
    I did find it disturbing that audience members yell "yeah" that someone should be allowed to die. I realize we are a country of "I have" and to hell with those who do not. but the overall problems within a community will eventually catch up with all of us. The definition of community is ;. A group of people living together in one place, esp. one practicing common ownership. There will come a time when we cannot shield ourselves from the problems found within our communities no matter how hard we try, especially if things get progressively worse. If we are allowed to let certain groups in our society to just fall by the wayside, who will be the next group? The middle class is not expanding, it is becoming smaller.
  • Lady Wh... Jamacc 2011/09/17 16:06:14
    +1
    "The middle class is not expanding, it is becoming smaller."

YA THINK?? **snark alert**
  • Jamacc Lady Wh... 2011/09/17 17:26:26
    Jamacc
    +1
    It may of been opinionated but I do not think it warrants a "snark Alert" LOL
    I think...
    In the past America has been able to use palitive medications which helped and often brought the polder people back to health. noew the marxist s ruling our nation wabdr to poisin and execute the sick individual . i've watched too many death camp film before any censoring. n
    I can onlt think of the those people and the "Capa" and some of the gestapo torturing a jewish woman until one finally uses the 9 milimenter weapon on her head.
  • libhater67 2011/09/17 05:25:07
  • Lucy 2011/09/17 04:41:53
    I think...
    Lucy
    I would hope we all would help, but to say it is an obligation i think is wrong. You cannot dictate how people should act in an emergency or even as far as family members. To neglect a child or someone helpless would be a crime. Also, if you are going down this road, you could open a can of worms.
  • Roblem BN-0 2011/09/17 04:13:47
    I think...
    Roblem BN-0
    No way... to hell with everybody else as long as I have mine... and my bank account keeps growing!!!!

(SI)

Seriously, I believe it is our moral obligation to help others even when they aren't suffering.
  • Alley Cat 2011/09/17 03:53:33
    Alley Cat
    A colleague once pleaded poverty. Quietly I investigated by also visiting them only to see no food, no beds, no blankets etc. I was so sick at my own unthankfulness. Over a period of time, my partner and I took food, clothes, our beds, furniture etc, bought pre- paid electricity, contributed to gas etc. After about two years they disappeared and were charged for defrauding the company with R25 000. I later learned that the NIA was looking for them for opening accounts and then disappearing etc. all over the country.Where does ones obligation, concern, love etc go to ? Out the door my dear! Who do you trust. What fools we were! I settle for our good intent.
  • Moonbeams 2011/09/17 03:40:39 (edited)
    Moonbeams
    *can't see the video.

So, If we're talking in terms of personal relationships with people I am close to, Absolutely. I wouldn't sit back and watch their demise, without at least trying.
    Nope
    If indeed there is a god yes you have a moral obligation!
  • Wahvlvke 2011/09/17 03:16:10
    I think...
    Wahvlvke
    it depends on what your self interest is in the matter.
  • Angel 2011/09/17 02:27:12
    I think...
    Angel
    +1
    I think I have the compassion to do so
  • Angel Angel 2011/09/17 02:28:38
    Angel
    I see you are using a GOP card it's not a federal govt responsibility
  • redhorse29 2011/09/17 01:54:38
    Nope
    redhorse29
    You need to better phrase the question. What am I expected to do? Issue: A convicted criminal of attempted murder has cancer; and the victim has cancer. Ho do you save? We have homeless and poor in this country; there are homeless, poor and hungry in Africa. Do we focus on helping our people or are we obligate to bankrupt ourselves trying to save those in Africa? What you want to do?
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/09/17 01:21:56
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    +1
    I live and work in an impoverished neighborhood. I see suffering on a daily basis. When I can help, I do. If I can't and know someone or an organization that can, I help the person suffering make those connections. It's a moral imperative.
  • Willl 2011/09/17 01:16:12
    Nope
    Willl
    +3
    What does "moral obligation" mean?
    What does "within your power" mean?
    Again, a question greatly generalizing a complex matter supported by one in a million incident to induce emotional push for socialistic outcomes.
    My "moral obligation" #1 is to help myself so I do not become a burden (aka depend on "moral obligations) on others.
    My "moral obligation" #2 is never to judge the morality of others for not helping me or others since see #1.
    As far as the story in the video goes, heartbreaking but this is what I took out from the story.
    The brother of Ms. Grigsby died in December of 2010 at age of 63. He had been out of work since he was 55 or 2002 trying hard to find work in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, unsuccessfully.
    Two things that I remember about this period are that the value of properties went up few percentage points on a monthly bases, if his brother own any property at that time and the most important part is that Classified Section of newspapers was bigger than all the other sections combined and at least 60% of Classified Section was taken by Help Wanted columns.
    That is what I remember. That might not had been the case in rural areas but in majority of urban areas that was the case. Yet someone who was laid off in 2002 couldn't find a job for eight years, while ...
    What does "moral obligation" mean?
    What does "within your power" mean?
    That is what I remember. That might not had been the case in rural areas but in majority of urban areas that was the case. Yet someone who was laid off in 2002 couldn't find a job for eight years, while first four out of the eight years had been nothing but job plentiful years.
    No, no-one has a moral obligation to help those who suffer, one might have a moral urge to help others but not obligation.
  • bettyboop 2011/09/17 01:13:22
    I think...
    bettyboop
    awwwwwwwwwww.................... end is the end.................or is it...............who knows, really?
  • Fannie 2011/09/17 01:03:31
    Fannie
    But not everybody thinks the way I do.........
  • JustTheFacts 2011/09/17 00:39:29
    JustTheFacts
    +2
    Absolutely! But "you" is not "government".
  • Hawkeye 2011/09/17 00:21:49
    I think...
    Hawkeye
    +1
    This is an incomplete question if the author is trying to justify "Big Government"..

IF you're going to try to make some connection between the moral obligations of the individual and those of the Government,,

Well then,, The question SHOULD be,

'' Do you have a moral obligation to help if that help bankrupts you and places your family,, your home,, your business and every other aspect of your life in financial Jeopardy??"..

There is no morality when speaking of the Government.. Morality is a basis for RELIGION..

Governments should be about the spreading of PROSPERITY,, NOT misery...

As an individual who has donated to charities all my working life which spans almost 50 years,, I believe in morality and act accordingly..
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2011/09/17 00:01:40
    I think...
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    Yes, only If one is unable to help themselves.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/16 23:19:45
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    But this has NOTHING to do with government. This is a choice of the individual to help or not help the person in need. If you want "Steve" to get all the help he needs then press Government to give us back the tax deduction for charitable contributions. Without the cap. I believe the reason for the restrictions on charities stems from the fact that most are religious in affiliation and motivation.
  • Theresa 2011/09/16 22:49:16
    Theresa
    Yes medically, situations like the one that woman described are all too common..and I might add without causing a catastrophic debt..
  • Pat 2011/09/16 22:38:28 (edited)
    I think...
    +1
    Liberals think a "moral" obligation should be a "legal" obligation.

They're not the same thing.

I'm suffering from the work I must do for the benefit of others. Do I get to define "suffering"?

If it's in my power to end suffering, what if my action causes me to regress to a state of suffering?

Obama thinks he should spread the suffering around? Should our suffering be equal?

Government screws up just about everything it touches.
  • Bowman 2011/09/16 22:33:00
    Bowman
    +3
    As long as I choose who I get to help. Just cause there is suffering out there doesn't mean I give more money to the gov't.
  • WhereIs... Bowman 2011/09/16 22:37:28
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Exactly, I only give to charities I think will do a good job like Salvation Army, Purple Heart, local homeless shelters, but I don't want to give $ to the government because anything they manage is managed badly. If the government were a charity, I would not give them one red cent.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/16 22:24:54
    I think...
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    It depends, sometimes you can help by giving them money, but other times it is better to let them learn from their mistakes. I never give money to homeless people on the street since I don't know what they will buy with it, but I give it to shelters instead.

2014/10/24 11:17:39