If you had $200,000 now, where would you invest it?

The Govenor 2010/08/22 03:49:51

• Fef 2010/08/22 05:02:11
    Here
    Fef
    +2
    I felt the same way and asked the same question about a week ago, but $100k. See the answers if it helps you: $100,000 Prize: What would you invest in?

I think Real Estate Trusts. Let them do the work and pay dividends.

• magmaman 2010/08/22 20:10:00
    Here
    magmaman
    More Real Estate
  • theiceman 2010/08/22 16:52:20
    Here
    theiceman
    +1
    in New Zealand without a doubt!! .42 exchange rate at present and business friendly country
  • The Gov... theiceman 2010/08/22 16:55:56
  • theiceman The Gov... 2010/08/22 18:22:31
    theiceman
    looser than it was, but, yes, controlled. Also ALL documents in English!! how refreshing
  • The Gov... theiceman 2010/08/22 18:28:02
  • Beer30 2010/08/22 14:40:38 (edited)
    Here
    Beer30
    +1
    My associates and I are having this very same discussion ~~ where to invest our portfolio?

The WSJ printed an article the other day mentioning that George Soros had dumped many of his stocks and equity shares, and had moved much more strongly into gold and precious metals.
    He probably agrees with you and me, Govenor, that Obama's redistributionism, continued deficit spending and consummate govt waste will send the dollar crashing into worthless oblivion. Likewise the DJIA.

It was a propitious accident, but I got out of the stock market several years ago, back in those heady days when the Dow was upwards of 13k
    No way, today! I don't even bother to return my broker's phonecalls.

Our corporation invests and manages real estate properties. Here in the Houston market, prices are solid and not over-inflated. It has its share of foreclosures, auction sales and fixer-uppers which could offer some opportunities for us ~~ icing on the financial cake!

But hold on ,,,, Fiscal Year 2011 promises to drastically jack up Cap Gains, payroll taxes, HC premiums and change the rules for depreciation and other accounting features..
    Materials and labor costs ( already climbing ) will soar even higher. Raising our rents in this moribund economy is not an option.
    Even worse, if the gubmi...&

Even worse, if the gubmint implements ANY part of Cap & Trade, it will destroy commercial and residential property investment. Utility rates ( to quote our beloved Prez,,, ) "will necessarily skyrocket." Retrofitting older buildings to bring them up to current 'Green' standards is an expensive nightmare. Higher taxes, more regs, greater govt control, increased employee layoffs,
    ,,,,, and many more of us could soon be out of a job.
  • The Gov... Beer30 2010/08/22 14:51:57
  • Beer30 The Gov... 2010/08/22 16:03:55
    Beer30
    +1
    ROFL!
    Yew wanna do WHAT with Momma's money????
    Australian coal mine companies?,,, Chinese power plants?,,,,Russian gold-diggers?,,,,
    Yup. Sure sounds like a biiiig load of Canadian fertilizer to ME.

How old is Mom? If she were sixteen or so, and had a net worth of a billion or two, you might want to take an outside chance she'd EVER see a return on anything so esoteric. Or if not, she'd have an entire lifetime to pick up the slack for her almost-inevitable losses.

Assuming she's well beyond her younger, more tender years, your strategery is to be MUCH more conservative. Please.
    Stick with what you know, and what you're comfortable with.

No investment is safe, but some are more secure than others.

Blue chips? Money Markets? They're not for me, but they might be a reasonably 'safe' bet for your mother, short term.
    Gold soared over $900oz back in 1980, only to collapse shortly thereafter..
    Oil was $147bbl in July 2008. It dropped to the low thirties inside of six months.

I like you idea of getting a fixer-upper. You'd have the option of renting it out for income, or flipping it for a quickie profit. ( In THIS market, well, 'Maybe',,,)
    You're in the remod bizness, and you know the ropes. You know what to look out for.
    You'd recognize all the pitfalls, and the cos...

ROFL!

You'd recognize all the pitfalls, and the cost/benefit analysis of whatever improvements you make.

Besides, you said you weren't working anyhow. What's to lose? If your crew is laid off, it puts them back to work, on YOUR place. Win/Win.
    Referrals are vital in the home improvement industry. Pass out business cards. Advertise. Hang a big sign in the yard, letting all the neighbors know that "Govenor Remodeling Specialties, Inc" is doing all this quality work, and you'd be MORE than happy to offer bids on their projects, too.
    Even if it's just an interior paint job, or fixing a roof, or hanging gutters, one jobsite always leads to another.,
  • ActionJackson 2010/08/22 13:01:23
    IDK?
    ActionJackson
    +1
    I would invest in more than one place. If I invested it here I would pay attention to the new laws, ordinances, and regulations coming down the pike. If Colorado planned to force motorcyclists to wear helmets I would open a helmet shop in Denver.

I would also pay attention to the "big boys" and where they're investing their money. Like Steve Wynn moving his headquarters from Las Vegas to Macau where he says the economy is far more sound than our own.
  • The Gov... ActionJ... 2010/08/22 13:24:14
    Here
    Pay off my bills.
  • santa6642 2010/08/22 06:59:10
    Here
    santa6642
    In my pocket
  • Heather ~Warrior Princess~ 2010/08/22 05:46:19
    Here
    Heather ~Warrior Princess~
    My mattress fund.
  • ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ 2010/08/22 05:05:10
    Here
    ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™
    a house! :D
  • The Gov... ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ 2010/08/22 05:10:53
  • ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ The Gov... 2010/08/22 05:12:59
    ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™
    oh u meant for u? oh well then maybe new furniture or a new car or save it and let it grow :)
  • The Gov... ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ 2010/08/22 05:17:52
  • ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ The Gov... 2010/08/22 05:18:43
    ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™
    +1
    haha its ok...i say save ur money thou :)
  • The Gov... ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ 2010/08/22 05:25:39
  • ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ The Gov... 2010/08/22 05:27:39
    ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™
    hmm...idk if tht cud happen any time soon, but if it doesnt and u blow all ur money and sumthin bad happens tht u cuda really used tht money for. u wud b s.o.l
  • The Gov... ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ 2010/08/22 05:30:46
  • ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™ The Gov... 2010/08/22 05:34:54
    ϟcαℓℓιε♥ϟ™
    haha ikno tht prob didnt make much sense but it did to me... :/
  • Fef 2010/08/22 05:02:11
    Here
    Fef
    +2

• The Gov... Fef 2010/08/22 05:05:41
  • Beer30 Fef 2010/08/22 15:13:38
    Beer30
    +1
    REIT's are getting clobbered because the housing market is in a freefall. Overall, down 30% from its 2006 peak, and projected at least another 5% by next year. Just look at the stats for your own California ~~ infinitely worse!
    The only upside is that the banks, mtge co's, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are getting their asses covered by BILLIONS of govt ( taxpayer ) support.

This creates its own problems. Taxpayer-funded bailout support ( that's YOU and ME, bunkie,,, ) is a massive drain on the economy, which depresses home, apt. and commercial prices even lower, exacerbating the issue.
    Secondly, artificially propping up the market to a higher level is nothing more than Price Controls. You remember well from your Econ101 text that in the long run, Price Control never, ever works, because it cannot be sustained indefinitely.
    The market eventually crashes, prices seek their own adjusted level, and it damages the marketplace far more than it would in a free-floating Supply/Demand curve.

Screw the RE market ~~ cash in on those govt BigBux and buy some shares in Wells Fargo, MorganChase, and BofA.
  • Ken 2010/08/22 04:38:25 (edited)
    Here
    +2
    Land/property.
  • The Gov... Ken 2010/08/22 05:05:55
  • ☆Hitler was a community org... 2010/08/22 04:28:36
    Here
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +2
    property
  • The Gov... ☆Hitler... 2010/08/22 05:06:04
  • superman (ABFFL) 2010/08/22 04:23:14
    Here
    superman (ABFFL)
    +1
    i would donate it to the childrens hospital in my home town....i do fine without it now so i would do fine giving it away...plus them kids are our future...
  • The Gov... superma... 2010/08/22 05:07:38
  • superma... The Gov... 2010/08/22 05:12:08
    superman (ABFFL)
    +1
    then in that case i would do whatever i could to make my moms dreams come true, and make sure that she was comfortable when she passed....
  • The Gov... superma... 2010/08/22 05:24:29
  • Jimbob 2010/08/22 04:20:40
    Here
    Jimbob
    +1
    Maybe into checking, it's paying more interest than our money market right now. Maybe a Swiss bank account...make me feel like a big shot ;-)
  • KSJR362 - Not what you think 2010/08/22 04:10:19
    Here
    KSJR362 - Not what you think
    +2
    To keep the democrats paws off it-- my mattress.

democrats paws mattress
  • Fef KSJR362... 2010/08/22 05:02:34
    Fef
    +2
    Invest in Republicans - Donate to the GOP! ;)
  • The Gov... Fef 2010/08/22 05:09:27
  • The Gov... KSJR362... 2010/08/22 05:08:42

2014/12/21 09:19:47