If the US is a Christian nation, why are the Jesus followers so against helping the poor?

SparkleyPie 2009/04/14 19:36:34
Let's completely ignore the constitution (I mean, it's just a stupid piece of paper, right?). Let's ignore all of the amendments to the constitution. Let's also ignore the fact that the bible doesn't mention any sort of elections, or make allowances for free speech. Completely forget that the bible promotes slavery and inequality for women.

Ignore all of that and pretend with me for a moment that the US is a Christian nation.

Jesus based Christian beliefs are supposed to promote the general welfare of the people. You know... help the poor, the sick, and the needy.

It seems to me that if we are a Christian nation, things like universal health care would already be in place.

Jesus said, you guys!

• SpyderX 2009/04/14 20:01:10
    I'm a Christian who doesn't like any of these options. I promise to explain m...
    SpyderX
    +26
    God does indeed want us to care for those less fortunate than ourselves. Unfortunately, most so-called Christians are actually self-serving, self-righteous, hypocrites who use Christianity (or religion, in general) to further their own personal agendas with very little regard for those around them. Sad, but true, I'm afraid.... But please don't let the fake ones cause you to become hateful toward those of us who actually try to do God's work the way he intended for us to do it. After all, Bush ruined our economy and created a senseless war which caused many fine Ameicans to lose their lives, but that doesn't mean we should hate the presidency, does it? Of course not! The fact is, any sufficiently large group of people is going to contain members who are simply using the group's power or ideology for their own personal gain. That's just human nature, and it will never stop. Do you think true Muslims want to kill everyone who doesn't believe in their God? Of course not. It isn't fair to judge someone for another's actions....

• Sparkle... Shayes ™ 2009/04/16 02:57:18
    SparkleyPie
    Your studies are loaded and full of shit... just like your Christians.
  • Shayes ™ Sparkle... 2009/04/16 03:01:30
    Shayes ™
    +1
    Actually the loaded ones are those scientists who told us pluto was a planet or that the brontosaurus was a dinosaur. Now they're telling us there is no God. loaded scientists told pluto planet brontosaurus dinosaur telling god
  • Anymouse524 2009/04/15 22:16:38
    Sorry. I can't pretend with you. The US is *not* a Christian nation.
    Anymouse524
    +2
    The fact that so many "Christians" are against helping the poor is utter proof that they are not what they claim to be and they do not follow who they say they follow - unless, of course, there's a picture of Jesus on their wallet!!!
  • p31woman 2009/04/15 21:44:10
    p31woman
    +1
    Taking care of the poor, sick and needy is actually supposed to be every one's responsibility, it's called compassion which I think as a nation we have grown somewhat cold. I give to several organization to help provide for someone who has a need. The more I give the more I am able to give and I find it fulfilling to help someone else.
    Unfortunately, our their are people who have become selfish, mean and hateful, not realizing their hatefulness blinds them to the truth.
    It's been said when you point a finger at someone else there are three other fingers pointing in your direction. So stop expecting charity to be someone else responsibility. You may be the weakest link.
  • Bitwise Operator 2009/04/15 20:45:07
    Bitwise Operator
    +2
    True charity is the giving of the fruits of your OWN labor - not someone else's. I give to "the poor" to the tune of about 12% of my income and I live with an older vehicle and smaller house so that I can do so.

Those who would tax me so that they can take my money and give it to whom THEY decide are stealing from me and denying me the right to give to whom I choose. These same people often give politicians the ability to skim a hefty amount off the top and even use the money for political gain - which they do - leaving less money for the needy.

Government's job is the enforcement of the rule of law - not charity.
  • Sparkle... Bitwise... 2009/04/16 02:58:58
    SparkleyPie
    If this is a Christian nation, the Christian nation should be doing its duty to help the poor and needy.

The religious right likes to pretend to care about the poor, but they take a big dump on them every time one of these wingnuts enters the voting booth.

Corporate welfare is okay with these 'people', but helping the poor with tax money... Oh hell no.

Hypocrites.
  • Bitwise... Sparkle... 2009/04/16 05:06:04 (edited)
    Bitwise Operator
    +1
    What happened to the separation of church and state I hear everyone preaching about - can't have it both ways you know. Secular government should not be in the business of giving away other peoples money. In case you haven't figured it out you're upset because government isn't giving away someone else's money fast enough, or to the the "right" people.

Individuals on the religious right tend to give a lot of money to the needy - more than the national average just as Americans give more to the needy than most other nations.

No, Corporate welfare is not ok. If you lsitened in school you would have learned that welfare of any type is NOT the job of the federal government.

Try donating your own time and money to match what others are doing instead of trashing hard working people because they resent your government sanctioned attempts to play robin hood with the fruits of their labor.
  • SpyderX Sparkle... 2009/04/18 02:47:08
    SpyderX
    Hey, let's say for the sake of arguement that this isn't a Christian nation and the Christians aren't doing shit. That leaves us with the question: what are you non-
    Christians doing to help the poor and needy? Huh? What's that? You don't give to charity, or help those less fortunate than yourself? Say, for some reason that doesn't suprise me one little bit! You know what? When you start giving a substantial amount of your time and resources to help others (as I do), then, and only then, do you have the right to question my motives or beliefs. Otherwise, you're nothing more than another big-mouthed hypocrite condemning someone else for not doing the exact same thing that you're not doing.... And if you think the government is doing such a great job helping people, then give them your tax money. As for me, I'll help who I want to help with my money, and the government (and you, as well) can kiss my sweet Native American ass!!!
  • Mamie 2009/04/15 20:18:03
    Mamie
    +2
    What the hell was so 'Christian' about slaughtering the natives who were here when we came?
  • kAREN SHORT 2009/04/15 19:15:21
    kAREN SHORT
    +3
    We used to be a christian nation. but now we are led by a muslim. Yes, he is a muslim. A lying muslim at that. Only God will help us get through this Obama fiasco.
  • Mamie kAREN S... 2009/04/15 20:19:15
    Mamie
    If you're so sure of that, maybe you should ask Allah to help you also.
  • Sparkle... kAREN S... 2009/04/16 02:59:25
    SparkleyPie
    No we didn't. No it's not.

You're insane. Seek help.
  • skullz 2009/04/15 18:41:48
    skullz
    +3
    Really you had too many options.

I hve no problem helping those who help themselves. The issue is people are grouping the Poor and the downright Lazy into the same group. If you flip burgers at 2 restaurants and do all you can to care for your family you deserve help. If all you do is sit on your azz and eat cereal then no soup for you.
  • Chuck 2009/04/15 18:25:10
    Chuck
    +1
    It is called seperation of church and state, simple as that, christians do not hold the majority in politics.

The reason I do not support universal healthcare, because healthcare is a big industry that deserves to stay in the private sector, why let the growing government get a hold of yet another industry.

The reason I don't believe in higher taxes is because the money is going to go to pet projects of the majority.

I don't care for that first paragraph, most of it isn't true and the rest of it isn't even touched on by the bible, the bible is a collection of religious documents written by *man* with all his *own* prejuduces and opinions, and it isn't a political manefesto anyways.
  • American BadAss-- 2009/04/15 18:04:59
    American BadAss--
    +2
    Just like an atheist to require that you answer the question their way. You must be a democrat as well, because they make similar demands. I'm not much of a christian really, because when I hear a God-hater like you twist everything their way it makes me want to beat the living shit out of them! So much for turning the other cheek! You're an idiot and obviously know less about the bible than I do! Ignorant Demonicrat Atheist!!
  • petean05 2009/04/15 17:54:38
    petean05
    +1
    The United States is not a "Christian Nation", and Universal healthcare would be great if we could work out a system free from loopholes.
  • Decided to Leave SH 2009/04/15 16:18:14
    Jesus wouldn't want us to have universal health care.
    Decided to Leave SH
    +3
    I really don't know whether or not Jesus would want us to have "universal healthcare" in the same sense that an atheist such as yourself would.....but I do know that He would not want us to have atheists who love to see Him constantly ridiculed... which is the whole reason for your question in the first place.

Might as well face it...Jesus gets His way in the end...whether you and I like it or not.....or believe in Him or not...."every knee shall bow and every tongue confess"..But....have it your way while it lasts because you and I both know that it won't.
  • Sparkle... Decided... 2009/04/15 16:25:08
    SparkleyPie
    +2
    What exactly does such an atheist as myself support? Please enlighten me.
  • Decided... Sparkle... 2009/04/15 16:34:23
    Decided to Leave SH
    You tell me, or be more specific with your question.

I don't know exactly what you are talking about....but what else is new?
  • Sparkle... Decided... 2009/04/15 16:43:19
    SparkleyPie
    +2
    My point is this:

If this is a Christian nation, it's all or nothing. If we're a Christian nation, then our government is Christian as well. We should be behaving like a Christian nation.

If we're not, then people spreading lies about us being a Christian nations need to quit yapping about it.

I personally don't support universal health care. I think if you can afford it, you should pay for it yourself. If you can't afford it, however, it should be provided to you.

I mean... so many Americans like to claim this is the greatest country in the world. It's about time we started acting like it.

As for as your stupid, "what else is new?" comment. It's news to me that you are even on this site. We've never interacted before now, so your cute little comment doesn't make any sense.
  • Decided... Sparkle... 2009/04/15 17:04:44 (edited)
    Decided to Leave SH
    +1
    I really don't care what you think of my comments, but your statement...

"I personally don't support universal health care. I think if you can afford it, you should pay for it yourself. If you can't afford it, however, it should be provided to you"....

leaves the question to be asked.....

"Who or what decides whether or not someone can afford their own healthcare?...What are the conditions that must be met?...The honor system?

I believe that if someone can't afford food, for instance, then it should be provided for them.....However, if someone who who has been overweight for most of their adult life.. does not work according to his potential... yet is telling me on their cell phone while they are watching American Idol on their new plasma, big screen TV that they are hungry and cannot afford to eat......should I believe them?...and would I actually be helping them if I fed them, regardless?
  • America... Sparkle... 2009/04/15 18:06:49
    American BadAss--
    +1
    It's obvious that you don't know that either. You just want to ridicule christians.
  • Sparkle... America... 2009/04/16 03:00:55
    SparkleyPie
    I've yet to come across a "Christian" who can legitimately answer my question.

You all just keep calling "meanie". Your wittle Christian feelings get hurt, but you can't answer the question.

Know why? Because Christianity, specifically those of you from the political right side of things, is full of hypocrisy. You people are just selfish.
  • America... Sparkle... 2009/04/16 03:34:00
    American BadAss--
    Maybe you didn't read my previous answer, atheist, so here it is again for you!

Answered I'm a Christian who doesn't like any of these options. I promise to explain myself clearly without the use of any bible quotes or caps lock.

"Just like an atheist to require that you answer the question their way. You must be a democrat as well, because they make similar demands. I'm not much of a christian really, because when I hear a God-hater like you twist everything their way it makes me want to beat the living shit out of them! So much for turning the other cheek! You're an idiot and obviously know less about the bible than I do! Ignorant Demonicrat Atheist!!"
  • In memory of my wife,Sister... 2009/04/15 16:14:28
    In memory of my wife,Sister in Christ, Has Passed away!
    +2
    True Christians view the least and the Poor ones
    with love and compassion.
    Helping the poor is not merely an obligation,
    but a privilege that brings them Joy.
    True Christians feed the poor with love.
    God cares deeply for the poor.
    And He commands all true believers to care for them,too. So, if we are godly, we must have compassion for the poor. Compassion that does not reach into our checkbooks or onto our"to do" list is philosophical compassion.
    Being obedient to our Father Words is being obedient
    to his will. The ways of right living, Christians, Glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine.
    True Christians are followers of Jesus, and when he was on earth, he felt pity for people who were suffering
    and he wanted to help them.
    I am a healthy, whole, and wise expression of the Christ Spirit within me. Doing my part in fulfilling the truth of Jesus' words, I am contributing to the Christ consciousness that is growing throughout the world.
    I believe that through Christ in me, I express purity of mind, body, and spirit.
    I believe that whatever overcoming is mine to complete,
    I shall complete it. With each affirmation, I have a greater understanding of who I am.
    The true me is emerging more completely each day.
    I love all of God Children, But, God loves them more.
    God Bless.
  • Helo Chick 2009/04/15 16:08:01
    Helo Chick
    +3
    Universal healthcare has nothing to do with God or Jesus. Yes, we are to apply the gold rule to our lives, live good lives, free from sin, but, "Democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those who will not" Thomas Jefferson. Healthcare is something put together by us, if we have problems with it, guess who's fault it is.

No one wants higher taxes, Americans(for the most part) are greedy, When I see a homeless person asking for money, I go to Burger King or Mcd's and buy them food. I've seen quite a few homeless and less fortunate people in the liquor stores. I've even bought dog food for a guy who had a dog with him! The problem is, there are too many dishonest people out there, that would take advantage of someone honest in a heart beat.
  • Sparkle... Helo Chick 2009/04/15 16:12:42
    SparkleyPie
    If this is a Christian nation, then it certainly does have everything to do with god and Jesus.

You people can't have it both ways. Either it's a Christian nation, and we need to behave like it. Or, it's not and all of the people spreading lies about it being Christian need to STFU.
  • Helo Chick Sparkle... 2009/04/15 16:53:26
    Helo Chick
    +1
    I never said it was a Christian Nation, so stop stereotyping. We were based on Christian principles, and we may have been a Christian Nation many years ago, but there are too many beliefs and religions to call it Christian now.

Why are you so angry about this? Our healthcare proffessionals are from every walk of life, how can you rationalize calling a Muslim, or a Budahist doctor a Christian? The two don't match up. You can't stereotype billions of people, too many factors.

Guess what U.S. did to 'tortured beauty'

Auxiliadora Martinez, a Nicaraguan political refugee, has been granted asylum in the United States and is no longer fearing for her life after hundreds of phone calls and letters, numerous prayers and countless marriage proposals in response to WND's exclusive story just last week. Well, that was mighty nice of us huh? prayers countless marriage proposals response wnds exclusive story week huh
  • Sparkle... Helo Chick 2009/04/16 03:01:36
    SparkleyPie
    Then you didn't read the question very carefully and you just came in here running off at the mouth.

Nice choice.
  • Helo Chick Sparkle... 2009/04/16 16:41:51 (edited)
    Helo Chick
    And the only reason you started this conversation was to run your mouth. reason conversation run mouth
    I wasn't mean to you in any way why are you being such a trick? Every person that you've responded to you've been rude and nasty too. I answered the question in my first and second post, you just didn't like my answer, that's ok, God still loves you, and I forgive you. person responded rude nasty answered post answer god loves forgive
  • Rosalie 2009/04/15 15:59:33
    Rosalie
    +5
    I know our country was founded by men who beleaved in god , now our own government has turned against us.
    I personally feed the homeless and send them on parttime jobs.Thats all I can do. I am a christian.
  • John 2009/04/15 15:59:20
    John
    +4
    I believe in helping people that want to be helped. The current welfare system in this country is doing more harm than good. Don't give them money, give then a job.

I don't want the federal government to screw up the medical care in this country. Everytime the federal government gets envolved, the cost increases and the effeciency decreased.
  • Sparkle... John 2009/04/15 16:04:28
    SparkleyPie
    +1
    So then you agree with me that this is not a Christian nation?
  • John Sparkle... 2009/04/23 17:57:26
    John
    It was once a Christian nation and need to return to being a Christian nation.
  • Sparkle... John 2009/04/23 18:03:53
    SparkleyPie
    It never was a Christian nation. If theocracy is what you're after, perhaps I can interest you in some real estate in the middle east.
  • John Sparkle... 2009/04/30 15:02:58
    John
    Read the founding documents. You will see that this country was founded on Christian principles as as Christian nation.
  • Moose 2009/04/15 15:44:01
    I don't care that greed goes against what Jesus taught. I don't want to pay h...
    Moose
    +2
    ^ This answer is what it all boils down to.

Christians themselves falling for one of their primary sins (greed), and probably using it to fuel another primary sin, gluttony.
  • macnamera killjoy 2009/04/15 15:41:33
    The majority of our citizens are Christian. They can just pray for their medi...
    macnamera killjoy
    +3
    If faith is enough to trust your "soul" to why not illness?
  • turtledove123 2009/04/15 15:22:55
    turtledove123
    +1
    While most people when polled, claim to believe, and many people rant on and on about how Christian they are, the fact is, being a Christian has nothing to do with politics when it comes to helping those less fortunate. The minute someone needs help, they are a whiner or a lazy bum. Some so-called Christians only want to help whomever they decide to help. If the government decides to give health care to unfortunate children, those same Christians are whining about it. They cant give anything to anyone. The government is taking their hard earned tax dollars to give to some creepy kids! Let 'em all die in the streets. Let someone else take care of them. That's the problem with trying to state that this is supposed to be such a Christian country. It's not, and religion doesnt belong in politics until it suits their purposes. I am a Christian, and I dont care about helping those less fortunate than myself. I dont believe in a system of welfare that separates and denegrates either. I dont believe the current system works to help. I think it works to create a welfare mentality, and that needs to be changed. To withold help from those who need it? That is wrong, and when I see supposed Christians being mean spirited and selfish, you have to wonder what God are they serving, as I dont know that God.
  • SuperCee 2009/04/15 15:16:34
    SuperCee
    +1
    First, I am not a Christian but I believe my bible and I believe in Christ. Secondly, regardless of what is in the bible, we are all bound to the laws of this land. Our nation simply doesn't care about the poor. If the US cared about the poor, there wouldn't be any homeless on the streets or people going hungry. It is up to you as an individual to do your part to help the poor. Most people are too self-righteous to care about people with less than themselves. If our own government doesn't care, why would people care?

2014/09/17 23:38:10