If the Seals had failed .....

ProudProgressive 2012/05/05 18:03:22
This week America celebrated the one year anniversary of the death of the world's leading terrorist threat, Osama bin Laden. As everyone is aware, he was taken out by a brave team of SEALS working under a plan developed by the President in consultation with the nation's leading military experts. Since that day, the President has consistently and unfailingly given credit to the brave SEALS who carried out the mission, to the many support personnel who made it happen, to the military leaders who helped design the plan, to everyone that was involved. He was the man in charge, and he was the man who had to make the decision to go in, even when many on his own staff warned against it. He put considerations of his own Presidency aside in the interests of the nation, knowing that if the mission had failed it would pretty much have ended his chances of re-election.

But all we have heard from the Right Wing is that "Obama is an egotist" and "Obama is taking credit for other people's work" and "All Obama did was say 'yes'". There are even those who are trying to shift credit to George Bush, despite ample evidence that he spent seven years doing everything he could to prevent bin Laden's capture, from refusing to finish the job at Tora Bora to disbanding a CIA special ops unit in place since the Clinton Administration with the sole purpose of tracking down bin Laden. Some have even tried to claim that Bush's illegal and unconstitutional waterboarding program helped to bring bin Laden to justice, even though everyone up to Donald Rumsfeld himself have confirmed that no actionable intelligence on bin Laden was ever gathered through torture.

So the President had nothing to do with the successful mission to get bin Laden, according to the Right Wing. He was just a figurehead and deserves no credit.

What if the mission had failed?
What if, despite the best intentions and the most thorough planning possible, the Seals had failed to carry out the mission? What are the chances that this same Right wing that has spent a year claiming that President Obama had nothing to do with the mission would be saying "don't blame Obama for the mission's failure, he had nothing to do with it."

I think we all know the answer to that one. Not only would President Obama and President Obama alone have been blamed for the failure, but he would also be accused of murdering those brave Seals and of compromising national security. (There's already a ridiculous conspiracy theory floating around that the President secretly had the Seals killed so they couldn't talk LOL)

The President deserves all the credit he has gotten for his part in the successful mission. He has never wavered in his admiration for the Seals who carried it out and has always given credit to everyone involved.

But some are too blind to ever realize this.

Thank you, Mister President, for getting the job done. And thank you to the Seals and the others who you worked with to get it done.

• Mel Mar... Alleycat 2012/05/06 02:27:14
    Mel Martens
    +2
    You mean when the media showed him making a speech and then put up a lot of arrows to him being the mastermind and fully responsible? You need to see the distinct difference in what the media tells you and what PEOPLE tell you.
  • Alleycat Mel Mar... 2012/05/06 02:51:52
    Alleycat
    +2
    Do you even have a clue as to what you are saying?
  • Mel Mar... Alleycat 2012/05/06 03:28:19
    Mel Martens
    +3
    Yep. I don't watch the news...I study it. Hence knowing what is flourished and splashed around as though it's all fact and how much is what really happens.

Just to use a very interesting example. Ever watched the film 'The Invention of Lying'? If you haven't, go do so, it's quite an interesting watch. In any case you see in it a world of people who do not understand how to lie or even bend the truth to suit their needs. This means all advertising is literal...like the Coke advert. The man stands there with no flourishes, no bright colours, no slogans. He simply explains what coke is and says the company would really like people to drink it...and the can has an interesting design on it.
    So where's the thirst quencher? Where does it say Coke makes you cool? Sure, we know these things in our advertising are doing it purely to sell their product, but it's subliminal and feeds your desire to be entertained by the product and the illusion that consuming the product will make you feel better is propagated by the flashy advertising.

News and media do this exact same thing all the time. They can make a very serious and dull story of a man sitting on his porch with a shotgun to ward off trespassers into a story of "Madman with gun terrorises neighbourhood and threatens children's safety!...

News and media do this exact same thing all the time. They can make a very serious and dull story of a man sitting on his porch with a shotgun to ward off trespassers into a story of "Madman with gun terrorises neighbourhood and threatens children's safety! Police squads swarm the area and are trying to calm him down!"

Even if it's proven later he was no madman and he was in his legal right, along with the fact there was only one police car and a paranoid scaremongering neighbour called him out...it still made for a story that caught eyes of the public and that's usually all that people will remember; The headline...not the real story.
  • Alleycat Mel Mar... 2012/05/06 19:14:59
    Alleycat
    +1
    Like when the MSM crucified Zimmerman recently, yeah I see what you mean.

My comments are not about the media but about the political ad he ran and it's not just me that finds it disgusting check out these comments:

"Obama's Bin Laden ad a low blow"

"Arianna Huffington thinks is "despicable."

LA Times agrees:

"Huffington is sort of right -- the Obama ad is pretty despicable --"

"What makes the ad more than a little distasteful is its characterization of Romney's past statements, which are taken out of context to make it look as if he wouldn't have bothered pursuing the Al Qaeda mastermind."

http://www.latimes.com/news/o...
  • aneed2know Alleycat 2012/05/06 04:10:43
    aneed2know
    +1
    no he does not.
  • Alleycat aneed2know 2012/05/06 19:15:12
    Alleycat
    +1
    Yes he does...
  • aneed2know Alleycat 2012/05/06 04:10:48
    aneed2know
    +1
    once again the hatred of a idiot shows through. read my initial posting and tell me if that would have been you.
  • Alleycat aneed2know 2012/05/06 19:21:15 (edited)
    Alleycat
    +1
    Casting dispersions does little to advance you argument and quite frankly makes you look like a fool. I really don't need to read any of your replies for they originate from a man so consumed by emotion that rational thought is impossible, a waste of time...

He made it grotesquely political when he ran this ad and it's not just me that finds it disgusting check out these comments:

"Obama's Bin Laden ad a low blow"

LA Times agrees:

http://www.latimes.com/news/o...
  • aneed2know Alleycat 2012/05/06 04:10:16
    aneed2know
    +1
  • Alleycat aneed2know 2012/05/06 19:21:27 (edited)
    Alleycat
    +1

"Obama's Bin Laden ad a low blow"

LA Times agrees:

http://www.latimes.com/news/o...
  • ProudPr... Alleycat 2012/05/06 13:17:50
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    Grabbed the flag?

"Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who've worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day.

Finally, let me say to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that we have never forgotten your loss, nor wavered in our commitment to see that we do whatever it takes to prevent another attack on our shores.

And tonight, let us think back to the sense of unity that prevailed on 9/11. I know that it has, at times, frayed. Yet today's achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people.

The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it's the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place."
  • Mel Mar... ProudPr... 2012/05/06 16:19:55
    Mel Martens
    It's because he was the spokesperson and the one with final say. People think that because he stood on a podium and said stuff that he's obviously taking ALL the credit.

Ye know, like I said in my previous answer to Allycat, the media did this exact same thing to Desmond Tutu in South Africa during Apartheid. The would show footage of him waving his arms about animatedly, looking angry and focussed as he spoke but you couldn't hear a word, only the reporter talking about the rally or whatever, and then suddenly the sound comes back and you hear "...there's going to be a bloodbath." Thus demonising him and turning him into a menace in the public's eyes. Yet the entire speech was about how oppression can only go so far before the weak have nothing more to lose.

Cherry picking moments and putting certain bits of words up in headlines means people focus only on THAT and not the other 10 minutes of speaking >_<
  • Alleycat ProudPr... 2012/05/06 19:23:42
    Alleycat
    +1
    Yes he grabbed the flag and ran to the head of the parade, are you in a media blackout?

"Obama's Bin Laden ad a low blow"

LA Times agrees:

http://www.latimes.com/news/o...

I have many more I can post if you are interested...
  • Charge 2012/05/06 01:04:32 (edited)
    Charge
    +4
    All Obama and Clinton cared about is their political liability, don't believe me, see what the seals say:

• A Lionh... Charge 2012/05/06 02:15:34
    A Lionheart
    +4
    The seals didn't say that. Veterans for a strong America did, and I'll tell you what sparky. I'm a Veteran for a Strong America and that group DOES NOT represent ME. THEY DO NOT speak for ALL Veterans or for the Navy Seals for that matter. Typical RWNJ spin and LIES.
  • Charge A Lionh... 2012/05/06 03:20:35
    Charge
    +4
    You, my slippery Progressive Radical friend are the liar..... and definitely a FarLWNJ....
    Obama is a failure, and You fail along with Your disgraceful leader.
    You may be a veteran, but You didn't say of what?
    The Navy Seals do indeed resent this POTUS......
    The SEALs spoke out to MailOnline after the Obama campaign released an ad entitled ‘One Chance’.
    Ryan Zinke, a former Commander in the US Navy who spent 23 years as a SEAL and led a SEAL Team 6 assault unit, said: ‘The decision was a no brainer. I applaud him for making it but I would not overly pat myself on the back for making the right call.
    ‘I think every president would have done the same. He is justified in saying it was his decision but the preparation, the sacrifice - it was a broader team effort.’
    He was being kind......
    Mr Obama has faced criticism even from allies about his decision to make a campaign ad about the bin Laden raid. Arianna Huffington, an outspoken liberal who runs the left-leaning Huffington Post website, roundly condemned it.
    She told CBS: ‘We should celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It's one thing to have an NBC special from the Situation Room... all that to me is perfectly legitimate, but to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.’
    A serving SEAL Team ...

He was being kind......
    A serving SEAL Team member said: ‘Obama wasn’t in the field, at risk, carrying a gun. As president, at every turn he should be thanking the guys who put their lives on the line to do this. He does so in his official speeches because he speechwriters are smart.
    ‘But the more he tries to take the credit for it, the more the ground operators are saying, “Come on, man!” It really didn’t matter who was president. At the end of the day, they were going to go.’
    Chris Kyle, a former SEAL sniper with 160 confirmed and another 95 unconfirmed kills to his credit, said: ‘The operation itself was great and the nation felt immense pride. It was great that we did it.
    ‘But bin Laden was just a figurehead. The war on terror continues. Taking him out didn’t really change anything as far as the war on terror is concerned and using it as a political attack is a cheap shot.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...
  • aneed2know Charge 2012/05/06 04:11:17
    aneed2know
    +1
  • Defend ... aneed2know 2012/05/06 04:23:29
    Defend Western Civlization
    +3
    i see more repeating of Obnama KLAN talking points
  • Charge aneed2know 2012/05/06 15:38:42
    Charge
    +1
    I'm surprised at You, You usually are a little more reasonable. Instead of addressing the question and giving Your honest feeling You try the worn out Progressive Liberal dodge of changing the subject and deflecting the despicable behavior of Your chosen leader. You can try to make excuses for Obama all You want but I would feel this way about the POTUS regardless of party if he acted like Obama.
  • Defend ... A Lionh... 2012/05/06 04:22:51
    Defend Western Civlization
    +3
    what right wing are you ranting about?
    obama backs gun control and is funding muslim terrorist right now
  • Nanjing03 Charge 2012/05/06 03:05:51
    Nanjing03
    +5
    @charge, excellent video. It is making the circuit and seen by an entire nation contemptuous of this rogue administration that denounced the existence of a "Global War on Terror" in a single breath -- while quickly and simultaneously placing an "I got Osama bin Laden" streamer on their administration flag. Even Arianna Huffington was disgusted in the president’s smug and pious glory grab knowing that the true warriors in this fight are the thousands of intel operatives, special ops planners, inter-service elements throughout DOD and State, and the Navy SEALS and their support elements who were all honing their moves for this one final moment over a period of many years that go back to the days immediately after 9/11.

Oh well, I remember a Marine gunny sergeant telling me when I was in western Iraq, “There’s always gonna be some ballsy bastard somewhere, who was nowhere at no time sayin’ he did this and done that.” Well, here he is …

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame Opie. It’ll be there waiting for you on your day of judgment in the voting booth in November.
  • Charge Nanjing03 2012/05/06 03:23:23
    Charge
    +3
    Well said.
  • Captain... Nanjing03 2012/05/06 06:22:23
    Captain-Morgan
    +3
    Semper fi Brother...
  • aneed2know Charge 2012/05/06 04:10:59
    aneed2know
    +1
  • Charge aneed2know 2012/05/06 15:40:09
    Charge
    +2
    See answer above.
    obama zero
  • Nanjing03 2012/05/06 00:44:10
    Nanjing03
    +5
    templer003, well said. Any president would have given the go-ahead -- or, as in this case, stayed out of the way. With that said, it is rather sad that the president decided to use an operation that was already in the works from the early days of the Bush administration and try to turn it around to aid him in his weak and desperate re-election campaign. The real credit goes to the original planners, the overseas intel operatives -- both Americans and foreign nationals, the broad net of State and Defense Department support from within the CIA and the DOD who transend the political appointees who are their bosses, and of course the Navy SEALs and their support components from all branches of the armed forces -- military and civilian -- throughout Central Command and the various other commands around the world. This was an American effort with Coalition support over a broad geographical area -- that spanned a decade in duration.

Maybe now David Axelrod will pick up on what I just wrote -- and try to save his president's butt.
  • The Ele... Nanjing03 2012/05/06 02:36:32
  • Defend ... The Ele... 2012/05/06 04:25:04
    Defend Western Civlization
    +3
    no that was Jimmy Jihad Carters who let Americans be taken hostage by a group of RAPIST Jew Killing Muslim terrorist
    And now obama is Appeasing Irans Nazi leader who was apart of the taking Americans hostage
  • themadhare ~IJM 2012/05/06 00:44:00 (edited)
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    "What if" history is a fine classroom exercise for young minds.
  • dubbie 2012/05/06 00:39:52 (edited)
    dubbie
    +2
    That wasn`t a worried look on his face ,well maybe for his re-election chances, But is was more like a look when he didn`t get a chance to play the whole 18 ,Or maybe the disguise was a little to tight to cover up the golf shirt . Pretty disgusting Really
  • kitkat42 2012/05/06 00:24:08
    kitkat42
    +4
    You know, no matter what this President does - good, bad, indifferent - it will always be this sentiment from the right................
    h8r s gonna hate
  • A Lionh... kitkat42 2012/05/06 02:16:15
    A Lionheart
    +2
    Exactly.
  • AL kitkat42 2012/05/06 02:21:42
    AL
    +2
    Obamas gonna blame!
  • Georgia50 2012/05/06 00:22:52
    Georgia50
    +3
    Great win for Obama, and amazing Swiss timepiece accuracy by the Seals.

RIP, victims of September 11. We got the bastard for you.
  • Nanjing03 Georgia50 2012/05/06 03:31:41
    Nanjing03
    Amazing Swiss timepiece ... WHAT ??!!

WHO ... got the bastard for us ??!!

Wow, That's what I thought you said.
  • templer003 2012/05/06 00:17:27
    templer003
    +4
    An active member of the SEAL Team is franker in his criticism, telling the Mail:

Obama wasn’t in the field, at risk, carrying a gun. As president, at every turn he should be thanking the guys who put their lives on the line to do this. He does so in his official speeches because his speechwriters are smart.

But the more he tries to take the credit for it, the more the ground operators are saying, ‘Come on, man!’ It really didn’t matter who was president. At the end of the day, they were going to go.

Another former SEAL, Chris Kyle, notes:

The operation itself was great and the nation felt immense pride. It was great that we did it.

But bin Laden was just a figurehead. The war on terror continues. Taking him out didn’t really change anything as far as the war on terror is concerned and using it as a political attack is a cheap shot.

In years to come there is going to be information that will come out that Obama was not the man who made the call. He can say he did and the people who really know what happened are inside the Pentagon, are in the military and the military isn’t allowed to speak out against the commander-in-chief so his secret is safe.

Kyle adds, “He’s trying to say that Romney wouldn’t have made the same call? Anyone who is patriotic to t...

Another former SEAL, Chris Kyle, notes:

Kyle adds, “He’s trying to say that Romney wouldn’t have made the same call? Anyone who is patriotic to this country would have made that exact call, Democrat or Republican. Obama is taking more credit than he is due but it’s going to get him some pretty good mileage.”

Ultimately, the 2012 election is far more likely to turn on the economy than it is on foreign policy. But as for the take-down of bin Laden, I believe that Obama’s recent bout of braggadocio will diminish his role in that operation the eyes of many Americans. This American wrote on May 2, 2011:
  • A Lionh... templer003 2012/05/06 02:17:36
    A Lionheart
    +2
    Sources for your quotes?
  • Nanjing03 A Lionh... 2012/05/06 03:20:24 (edited)
    Nanjing03
    +1
    Ummm, well, let's see. T-h-e D-a-i-l-y M-a-i-l ? Templer003 told you that in the first sentence. He could write it in orange crayon for you if you like ...
  • templer003 A Lionh... 2012/05/06 04:38:21
    templer003
    1.http://forum.palmettofootba...
    2.http://www.theblaze.com/sto...
    3.http://stargazer12.wordpres...
    4.http://www.breitbart.com/Bi...

Is 4 links enough or do you need more ???
  • ProudPr... templer003 2012/05/06 13:20:21
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    LOL considering that the two links that work go to Glenn Beck and Andrew Breitbart, no, it's not enough.

2014/10/31 07:48:33