If prices now were the same as in 1956: The average house $6000. A new car $2500. Gas $.27 a gal. $.50 to see a movie. And typical in-state college tuition $300 per semester. Should we have stayed on the gold standard so prices would still be the same?

tncdel 2011/08/07 13:08:56

• Tom 2011/08/13 00:21:51
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Tom
    those prices seem pretty good to me
  • Chukroast 2011/08/08 07:17:46
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Chukroast
    Gold has an intrinsic value and our government can't simply print more of it without backing like they do our dollars.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2011/08/08 00:28:05
    NO [tell us why not].
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    We should have stayed on the gold standard but prices would increase any way. Our economy would be much healthier if we'd just live within our means and not spend money we don't have.
  • Sandy 2011/08/07 22:42:30
    NO [tell us why not].
    Sandy
    My dad bought a new Chevrolet in 1955 for $300 brand new. We took a vacation to California from Utah, up through Idaho, over through Oregon, and down through Northern California... down the coast ..over to New Mexico and up through Arizona, back to Utah. We never paid more than 13 cents a gallon at any stop along the way... so where did you get these numbers?

In 1969 I bought a ford brand new... for $2500. So what gives with the weirdy info?
  • Boon Doggie 2011/08/07 20:11:52
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Boon Doggie
    +2
    I don't know if prices would stay the same, but our dollar would, more than likely, be the strongest currency in the world as it would be backed by something of value: gold, platinum, silver, etc.
  • Racefish 2011/08/07 19:02:30
    NO [tell us why not].
    Racefish
    +1
    $6000? Sorry, but this is way off. My parents bought theirs in 1952, new construction, 1300 sq. ft. for $13,500.00. Your $6000 house would only be $47,583 now.
    In 1956, gas was about $.27 per gallon. Today, that would be $2.14. What a bargain huh? Think of how much that $3.75 goes for taxes.
    Gold was held at $35.00. Today, that would be $277.00. Why? There is only one reason gold is over $1500.00. Can you say "Overspending by government"?
    Every time I hear these wags talking about keeping spending under control, I just say to myself, "it will never happen as long as the government has no constraint."
    Spending will never be controlled until we have a balanced budget amendment and term limits.
  • kent 2011/08/07 17:56:04
    NO [tell us why not].
    kent
    Given that the United States was still on the gold standard during the years from 1950 to 1971, I wonder why the prices would be the same as they were in 1950. Are price inflation and wage increases of the 50's and 60's while still on the gold standard, simply a figment of imagination?
  • Icedragon1969 2011/08/07 17:17:01
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Icedragon1969
    +1
    Or at least some form of commodity backed currency. Gold might not be the best choice, but there should be something besides the trust in our government. Yeah, where's that gotten us?
  • ❦♚Miranda♚❧ 2011/08/07 17:05:59
    YES [explain why you think so].
    ❦♚Miranda♚❧
    I would love that. People these days are way too greedy for money.
  • Tooshy 2011/08/07 16:39:14
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Tooshy
    If state college were only 300 per semester...I wouldn't have to payback so many School Loans!!
  • Stan Kapusta 2011/08/07 16:11:10
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Stan Kapusta
    The greedy wouldn't of had a chance to screw over middle America and manipulate their wealth like they do now. Hows your 401k doin?
  • The Riv... Stan Ka... 2011/08/07 16:35:14
    The River Rat
    +1
    Just wondering, who are the greedy to you? Anyone that is doing better than you have done?
  • Stan Ka... The Riv... 2011/08/07 18:42:17
    Stan Kapusta
    naw the guys who charge 50 bucks for a video game that cost 10 bucks to make,.dumping the toxic waste from Malasia in the ocean. Nike who had kids working 12 hours a day paying them about 3 bucks our money and selling them here for 80. The insurance companied who charge doctors alot for malpractice insurance then the patient changes the insurance company back leaving some people who need help out of the loop. That's greedy.
  • MadAsHEck Stan Ka... 2011/08/07 22:27:32 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    So do you consider how many folks that Video game needed to get developed, and the equipment etc to get it to market etc.

Blaming us for Toxic Wast from Malaysia?? Go figure.

Nike Goes where they get the most worker for their dollar, as would you if you were in business. And In many countries the 60 Hour week is the norm. Other countries are not as spoiled as we are.

Mal Practice insurance is definately high for doctors. Mainly because of Frivilous lawsuits that the Companies must settle as it is cheaper to settle than go through a trial except in the largest cases.

My wife's heart doctor was sued for $35,000 because the patient ended up with a small scar on the inside of her crotch after Angioplasty ( as did my wife). She claimed that it showed when she wore her bathing suit, and caused her great mental stress because she swam at a public pool 2-3 times a week. They settled out of Court.

And every time someone tries to get Tort Reform in the Malpractice industry, and it has been tried in congress numerous times. It is shot down as Lawyers Lobby's make a fortune from it. Tort reform would save everyone money. Doctors, Malpractice Companies, and that would trickle down to patient costs as well.

Making a profit, is not Greed. One goes into business to make a profit. ...

Making a profit, is not Greed. One goes into business to make a profit. And one expects to make a bigger profit by conducting business properly, and working hard.

Greed is actually what you indicate you feel. Those that get educated, work hard, and then make big money from it should be willing to give it to those that are less fortunate. It's called Socialism.

Rhetorical Question for you.

Lets suppose that you have $10,000 in the Bank, and the the bank passes a new rule that anybody that has $10,000 or more in the bank will have their money divided equally among those with less thatn $10,000 in the bank. Would you feel that to be right?

Thats what Socialism is "Redistribution of wealth". Take from those that have, and give it to those that have not. And soon the Haves wise up, and join the ranks of the have nots, till there are no haves left and the system crashes.
  • Stan Ka... MadAsHEck 2011/08/08 00:09:10
    Stan Kapusta
    For the few examples you have provided. The insurance industry in hoping people feel sorry for them I do not and never will. Just think how much is taken in and how many actually pay out. Your miniscule amount is nothing. Please keep your long winded post to a minimum please. As far as the Video people they are dumping heavy metals in the ocean. I don't care if it takes 200 years to develop
    Do you want a Chrome fish sandwich.? What about Nike if your going to make an ass out of yourself publicly at least research all I said. I'm not trying to be a hero. Just providing some of the greediest bastards I thought of at the top of my head without involving Obuma and the congressional crooks.
  • MadAsHEck Stan Ka... 2011/08/08 00:25:04 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +1
    Get used to it. The Far East is eating out lunch. They discounted Global Warming, and could care less. And you cannot control that. And neither can our government. Plus there are enough Heavy Metals in the ocean naturally to kill you.

And you need to get real. Why is GE moving their X-ray entity to china? Why is GM moving to China? Why is Caddilac being moved to Mexico? Greed? Nope! easier to make a profit when you have lower Corporate Taxes to pay, and can get people to work for reasonable wages.

If you were ever in business, you open it with the intent to make a profit. And when you cannot make a profit where you are at, you either move to a better location, or just shut down. In todays dollars actually a Millionaire is worth about $450,000 or less as the dollar drops on the Forex.

As to the insurance Business, you need to do research. Insurance companies rank at about #88 on the list by profit margin. Poor investment as they have to, by law, maintain a residual based on the number of policies they write. My Insurance Investment pays about $165 per year in dividends.

And why did you not answer my Rhetorical Question? That could be done in just a couple of words.

You sound to me like a bitter person, with no clue as th the real world. I got an education, worked hard, and enjoy my life. Note the Worked hard part. thats the key to success and happiness.
  • hooda MadAsHEck 2011/08/08 15:28:15
    hooda
    And don't forget the other reason companies leave the U.S.
    Our government bureaucracies have put too many road blocks up for start up companies, and the companies that are still here struggle to keep up with the red tape. And how does our government handle any new problem? Write more rules!
  • MadAsHEck hooda 2011/08/08 17:00:32
    MadAsHEck
    Yeah I know that. Started 2 small businesses back in the 80's and 90's.

First went down when I got involved with Machinist union. After the second contract to avoid a strike, my workers were making $25 an hour plus full benes, and after all the dust settled, my wife and I were making about $5.00 per hour. So I shut that down and dumped 6 guys on unemployment.

Second was just the 2 of us building websites, so we made out a lot better. But with all the taxes, fees etc, it was a big hit by government at all levels.
  • hooda MadAsHEck 2011/08/08 19:12:44
    hooda
    People who put the burden on themselves to keep businesses opened should be applauded, considering all they go through just to keep the government fed and happy. But in today's America, a business owner is akin to scum, just a fat cat feeding off the workers. If I ran this country, Atlas Shrugged would be required reading by 8th grade!
  • Spider Bite:F 2011/08/07 16:08:24
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Spider Bite:F
    -_-
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/07 14:13:50
    YES [explain why you think so].
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    At least we would be better off if we had been living within our means, our debt will be our undoing.
  • Bureauc 0Bamao 2011/08/07 13:47:05
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Bureauc 0Bamao
    +1
    Equally as bad for the US was the creation of the Federal Reserve.
    http://chrisbrady.typepad.com...
  • Artist~PWCM~ 2011/08/07 13:34:25
    YES [explain why you think so].
    Artist~PWCM~
    +2
    Things seemed to have gone downhill since but prices were rising prior to the change so I'm not sure. Probably should have chosen no...
  • Waldorf 2011/08/07 13:31:44
    NO [tell us why not].
    Waldorf
    +3
    I really couldn't say but wonder about also later dumping all the Social Security funds into the economy like found money. I wonder if there is even any interest involved.
  • Artist~... Waldorf 2011/08/07 13:35:17
    Artist~PWCM~
    +1
    Yep, the Dems did that in '66 (?) I think but the Republicans are just as guilty. They used it too.
  • perks-a real PATRIOT 2011/08/07 13:20:30
    YES [explain why you think so].
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    +3
    Tough question, who knows, times change!!
  • tncdel 2011/08/07 13:11:10
    YES [explain why you think so].
    tncdel
    +3
    That would have prevented the Federal Reserve from causing inflation.

2014/11/21 16:41:21