"If Paul Ryan Knew What Poverty Was, He Wouldn't Be Giving This Speech".

luvguins 2012/04/28 04:25:29
Two of my favorite things are irony and Karma. For weeks the right has been whining that asking for contraception coverage was an "attack on religion". How the president has been attacking the very fiber of the Catholic church beliefs by asking private insurance to cover the contracetive needs of all that wish to use it. Well, now it seems the Catholic church has a bigger problem with one of their own, Paul Ryan.

By Stephanie Mencimer,

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), chairman of the House budget committee, knew some Catholics were spoiling for a fight with him Thursday when he was scheduled to speak at Georgetown University, a Catholic institution. Nearly 90 faculty members and administrators sent him a letter expressing concerns with his recent comments that his proposed budget, which includes massive spending cuts to programs for the poor but not a single tax increase, was inspired by his Catholic faith.

"I am afraid that Chairman Ryan's budget reflects the values of his favorite philosopher Ayn Rand rather than the gospel of Jesus Christ," said Father Thomas Reese, a fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown, in a press release Tuesday. "Survival of the fittest may be okay for Social Darwinists but not for followers of the gospel of compassion and love."

The complaints seemed to resonate with Ryan. On Thursday, he went on record denouncing Ayn Rand, who believed altruism is evil, brushing off his well-documented obsession with her as a teenage romance. Ryan told the National Review's Robert Costa: "I reject her philosophy. It's an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person's view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas. Don't give me Ayn Rand."

During his speech, though, Ryan didn't back away from any of his budget proposals, which would dramatically reduce the number of people on food stamps and radically scale back Medicaid, the health care program for the poor. Instead, he championed such proposals as a means to liberate the poor. Calling the budget "hardly draconian," he said:

Our budget builds on the historic welfare reforms of the 1990s—reforms proven to work. We aim to empower state and local governments, communities, and individuals—those closest to the problem. And we aim to promote opportunity and upward mobility by strengthening job training programs, to help those who have fallen on hard times. My mentor, Jack Kemp, used to say, "You can't help America's poor by making America poor."

During the Q&A; session that followed, where Ryan fielded questions submitted by students, he insisted that welfare reform had brought down child poverty rates. The claim is false, especially in Ryan's home state. According to the most recent data, the child poverty rate in Wisconsin jumped 42 percent between 2000 and 2010. The suffering would have been more significant but for the large increases in federal food assistance that Ryan wants to scale back. Welfare reform is more likely a contributing factor to child poverty, not a solution to it, making it a dubious model for for combating poverty "at its roots," as Ryan said he wants to do.

That's why Catholics at Georgetown, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, and other Catholic organizations were so outraged when Ryan told a Christian TV show earlier this month that his budget was wholly in keeping with Catholic teachings and practically endorsed by the Pope himself, whom Ryan told the students Thursday was down on debt. His speech was protested on Thursday by Catholics who are in the trenches with the people who would suffer from his budget proposal. They were folks who work at soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and other social-service agencies run by Catholic organizations, who see first hand the complexities and needs of the poor.

James Salt, the executive director of Catholics United, which organized one of the protests outside the hall where Ryan was speaking, told gathered reporters that his group was there because "the dignity of the poor should be at the forefront of our minds." Taking a dig at Ryan's attempts to cast his budget as a boon for poor people, Salt noted, "If Paul Ryan knew what poverty was, he wouldn't be giving this speech."

It kind of reminds you of Ryan's problem last year trying to sell Medicare vouchers to his constituents in Wisconsin, doesn't it?

Read More: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/04/rep-paul-r...

• Brosia 2012/05/27 02:57:27
    Brosia
    +1
    I love this. Paul Ryan is an asshat that does not listen to himself talk and I hope he actually heard what the other people did say.

Probably not, but I can still dream, can't I?
  • scbluesman13 2012/04/30 19:35:27
    scbluesman13
    +1
    It sounds like Ryan tried to borrow Romney's "etch-a-sketch" in preparation for his Georgetown address.
  • cybernestical 2012/04/30 15:05:13
    cybernestical
    Moral and Ethic is just a myth for most politician.
  • Flowers 2012/04/30 14:22:39
    Flowers
    Maybe Ryan's budget takes the cuts too far, but he is correct that there are problems with our current system and there is no incentive to push harder to achieve greatness if you are given the things you need by the state. I find it comical (in a sad way) that the catholic church has so much wealth within its walls at the Vatican, and yet claim to be of the people.
  • luvguins Flowers 2012/04/30 14:39:44 (edited)
    luvguins
    +2
    If churches are now all are going to be political they should be paying taxes.
  • Flowers luvguins 2012/04/30 14:48:56
    Flowers
    +1
    I see no reason why they WOULDN'T pay taxes in the first place. I think the exemptions have been abused for too long. We need to remove the current tax laws and replace it with a more reasonable system that encourages honesty and doesn't reward those who are cheats (loopholes are for cheaters, in my opinion.)
  • Ashley 2012/04/30 12:51:15
    Ashley
    None of the politicians know what it is.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/04/30 11:07:59
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    Yes. Following the plans the Democrates have all it will do is continue poverty and make people even more dependant.
  • aherbert 2012/04/30 00:51:18
    aherbert
    +2
    stupid ryan budget

He is just another right wing tool

paul ryan right wing tool
  • boyd868b 2012/04/30 00:38:08
    boyd868b
    i always thought that the church was to help the poor also but i guess when you have to pay millions for child abuse cases....

i can't say much of any one in this country is in poverty as known in the third world
  • 2468 2012/04/29 18:21:44
    2468
    +2
    Big Karma can run Ryan over like a bus squashing a bug.

He will be Karmelized.
  • mac9 2012/04/29 17:00:41
    mac9
    +1
    Paul Ryan presented a budget. Your incompetent Dems. have not passed a budget in over two years. All you morons want is some else to support you.
  • luvguins mac9 2012/04/29 17:57:40 (edited)
    luvguins
    +2
    So, his budget doesn't seem to be flying with Catholics. Are you going to deny you've never used a government program ever? Because over 50% of all Americans have.
  • Nameless 2012/04/29 16:51:12
    Nameless
    +2
    Well, well, well... I wish Jewish communities would come out against Cantor in the same manner.
    And you know all about Paul Ryan--how?
  • cyberne... wtw 2012/04/30 14:39:30
    cybernestical
    +2
    Usually people judgement is base in behavior, determination, and ideology. Paul Ryan is an employ of the corporations. He's in congress to protect especial interest not the country or the people. From my background old-fashion education this is corruption.
  • aneed2know wtw 2012/05/01 06:17:08
    aneed2know
    +1
    this is how:

• luvguins aneed2know 2012/05/01 17:53:15
    luvguins
    +1
    Yeah, there is all kinds of "I Love Ayn Rand" from Ryan, and how it was mandatory for his staff to read her books, and have meetings about it. Now he lies because his Catholic church is all over his butt.
  • aneed2know wtw 2012/05/02 05:08:32
    aneed2know
    i am waiting
  • Mel 2012/04/29 03:59:53
    Mel
    +3
    The Catholic Bishops were right to citicise him
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/04/29 03:17:46
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +3
    I find it curious self proclaimed Dems seem to know my "self interest" better that I do. Smacks of arrogance an elitism, don't you think?
  • John James 2012/04/29 00:40:16
    John James
    +5
    Funny how leftists can find so called religious people to agree with their agenda of enslaving the people.
    Sorry, but the left has proven that we cannot trust anything they say.
  • Jimbo John James 2012/04/29 00:55:21
    Jimbo
    +3
    What can be trusted is Jesus turning over the tables of the moneychangers (investors) and it is easier to pass a camel through a needles eye than a rich man get to heaven.
  • John James Jimbo 2012/04/29 01:08:35
    John James
    +1
    You really do not get it. The left is the problem, not the right and not the rich.
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 01:57:19
    luvguins
    +3
    You right wing lemmings are the problem supporting a party against your best interests if you are middle class.
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 02:09:12
    John James
    +1
    Sorry, it is the democrats and the progressive left at war with the middle class
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 03:35:06
    luvguins
    +3
    In your dreams, right wing stooge. The GOP doesn't know anyone else exists except the 1%
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 03:42:37
    John James
    +2
    That is not even close to being true. But I was not expecting to hear anything different.
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 04:17:46
    luvguins
    +2
    You are not very observant nor bright are you?
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 16:14:10
    John James
    +1
    Sorry, but I am not in the tank for obam, so I am observant and bright.
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 17:59:18
    luvguins
    +1
    You are dumb as a box of rocks if you vote for clueless Romney.
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 18:07:02
    John James
    +1
    Yawn, is that the best you can do. Sorry, you have no idea on the issues.
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 18:33:55
    luvguins
    Have more than you ever will have, loser. Republican seal
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 18:41:25
    John James
    +1
    Gee, now you have to plagerize cartoons that were made about democrats, how sad.
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 18:47:40
    luvguins
    How true of the GOP. Rep bankrupt
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 18:48:24
    John James
    More lies
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 19:03:46
    luvguins
    Anymore from you, and you are out of here. Comprende?
  • John James luvguins 2012/04/29 19:14:09
    John James
    So when you are proven wrong, you bury your head. How sad. But expected from an obama supporter
  • luvguins John James 2012/04/29 19:18:34
    luvguins
    You haven't proven me wrong. We are discussing Ryan's budget and the Catholic opposition to it. If you do just want to troll on here you can leave, or I'll make that possible. You went off topic posts ago.
    +1
    I don't no about the medicare vouchers. But, I do see a young man's conservative thinking going to the extreme, lacking the wisdom of age to temper that thinking. Maybe, with age he'll learn that you "can't help America's poor by makeing America poor".

2014/09/30 16:03:25