If God could possibly exist, shouldn't it be the most important thing in our lives to find out?

Chris [Ninja]™ 2008/09/08 19:59:47
I know some of you don't believe in God, but just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it's not true. I could say I don't believe in gravity, but if I jump off a building that doesn't mean I'm not going to fall straight to the ground!

All I'm saying is, if God exists or if you have any inclination that he might. Shouldn't it be the most important thing you do in life to figure out why he created you? The alternative is, you live a good life you try not to do bad things and you die.

When you die, you keep nothing you've gained in this world, not your money, your family or even the clothes on your back. When you die, it won't matter if Barack OBummer or John McSame get elected as President of the United States. When you die, you won't care about being healthy, going to the gym, that bunion on your foot, nothing, it will all be over and you'll either know if you did it right or you won't.

Organized religion aside, if you die (10 out of 10 do) where will you be? If you don't know, might I suggest that it's probably a good idea to figure it out? Otherwise, what are you living for? Eternity is a very long time compared to your possible 100 years (if America keeps getting healthier). On top of that, you don't know when you'll die, it could be 60 years from now or it could be this afternoon.

If this message tugs at you, don't hesitate explore this link:
http://www.wayofthemaster.com/goodperson.shtml

If not, I wonder why it holds no concern for you.

• Angel 2008/09/09 16:25:54
    Angel
    +18
    it was to me and I did find out, when I accepted him as my Lord ...I'm not saying I'm perfect but I am saying I'm saved

• Miss Lori 2008/09/09 18:20:15
    Miss Lori
    +2
    It is said that of all the intelligent questions one can ask, three are the most intelligent: Who am I?, Who is God?, and What is my relationship to God? Human beings have a unique opportunity to ask these questions and to find the truth about them. We should not waste the opportunity to seek happiness from mundane things like material wealth and sentimental relationships. Rather, we should take advantage of this opportunity to raise our consciousness above the material platform, to God realization. This process requires that we find an authority on the matter, and inquire from him about the nature of the self, the soul, and God, so that when we leave these bodies, we can return to our original spiritual positions.
  • Angel 2008/09/09 16:25:54
    Angel
    +18
  • runningintriangles 2008/09/09 16:10:58
    runningintriangles
    +2
    I honestly don't want to know whether or not any god exists. I like that we don't know, and I don't think it's our job to find out. If he's there, cool, I was wrong, perhaps I should've believed more. If he's not, oh shit, now people are going to freak out even more about death... I mean, at least before I could imagine that my loved ones were in a better place. So discovering if he exists or not... well, to me that knowledge would be worse than the constant arguments between believers and non-believers.
  • Chris [... running... 2008/09/09 20:57:05
    Chris [Ninja]™
    That's one I have never heard before! So you would rather live your whole life never knowing the God that created you? Then on the day you die and you stand before Him, he says to you, "I never knew you."
  • running... Chris [... 2008/09/09 21:48:29
    runningintriangles
    +3
    I'm sorry, are you saying I'm a lost cause because I refuse to believe in something I don't know it to be true or false? Because I hate hearing that, I get it enough from my mother.
  • Crazy C running... 2008/09/10 05:39:41
    Crazy C
    +2
    See; I don't doubt that God exists. But I see your point.

I think to my self; it's humans and their narrow-minded oppressing views that confuse us on what really God IS:

oUR Homie; Our Freind; if we are kind and responsible; that's ALL he cares about.
  • Chris [... Crazy C 2008/09/10 05:44:18
    Chris [Ninja]™
    That's it? Kind and responsible? (ps. I'm really asking and not being rhetorical)
  • Chris [... running... 2008/09/10 05:43:20
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    No not at all! I was asking you a question...
  • Crazy C Chris [... 2008/09/10 05:49:39
    Crazy C
    My answer is that they are brain washin homie
  • Chris [... Crazy C 2008/09/10 05:52:04
    Chris [Ninja]™
    huh?
  • Crazy C Chris [... 2008/09/10 05:55:02 (edited)
    Crazy C
    +1
    I can figure you out Xris; I sense that you are confuse/

I have read the questions and your answers; and you are so contradictory.

But have it your way (i.e. runningtriangles)
  • Chris [... Crazy C 2008/09/11 05:21:05
    Chris [Ninja]™
    I am really confused! haha! What the heck just happened?!?!
  • running... Chris [... 2008/09/10 22:11:27
    runningintriangles
    +1
    Ah well, then, yes I'd rather not know. Besides, not knowing makes things more interesting, doesn't it?
  • Chris [... running... 2008/09/11 05:21:32
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    I suppose, like a big fat surprise party!
  • T.S 2008/09/09 12:52:37
    T.S
    +2
    I believe God exists, and yes, I think it should be the most important thing to do to know why he created us, but he didn't leave us to wonder and try to figure out all by our selves, the universe and creatures around us all indicate a great creator, beside that, he actually from the beginning of life on earth has sent us many prophets to let us know him and tell us about himself.
    I believe he created us so that we build this world on good values, and get to know him, and pass the test of being good and follow our morals rather than our desires.

When we die, we take nothing with us but our deeds, whether good or bad. and according to these deeds we will end up either in hell or in heaven for eternity. the people who are good at heart but has done wrong things and hurt others will be purged in hell first, but eventually they will get out and go to heaven. (I'm speaking from my point of view and my believes).
  • Rose 2008/09/09 09:22:43
    Rose
    +2
    Ah.. they tried to sell this angle at scripture at my school. I found it laughable to sell faith like it is insurance or superannuation (when you save some of your wage for when your retired). Is that the way faith should be? A 'just in case' policy?
  • Chris [... Rose 2008/09/09 20:58:35
    Chris [Ninja]™
    I'm just asking at the BARE MINIMUM, shouldn't at least peak your interest just a little bit? I mean I would hate to get to the end of my life and find out that I was supposed to do something and never did.
  • Rose Chris [... 2008/09/10 07:25:59
    Rose
    +2
    No, not really. I am young and havent had one of those 'life defining moments', but that doesnt mean that I havent given thought to my faith. I believe that I have a personal moral code and if I break this my guilt will punish me, if this code doesnt fall within a doctrine such as Christianity, at least I have lived as I see fit. To thyne own self be true.
    I'm not going to live life following a book I dont think is valid, to satisfy a being I dont believe in, to achieve an ever-after I dont believe exists.
  • Chris [... Rose 2008/09/11 05:27:30
    Chris [Ninja]™
    ah, you know interestingly in the book of Psalms King David writes about God's law (The ten commandments) and how he loves it and he says, "Your law is written on the hearts of man." Also the word conscious comes from two words 'con' which means 'with' and 'science' which means 'knowledge.' Meaning we are born with the knowledge of right and wrong. So maybe, your own conscious is not that far off from the doctrine of Christianity.

If you have a few moments, I think this video hits the nail right on the head when it comes that stuff;
  • Yukkione "In Science We Trust" 2008/09/08 22:17:27 (edited)
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +3
    I'm a non-theist. I'm a naturalistic humanist. At 42 years of age I can safely say that I've spent 32 years looking for any god or gods and have found none. People who are unsure should look, but they shouldnt take someone else's word for it or accept the indoctrination of youth as truth.

"Is [God] willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then is he impotent. Is he able, but not willing? then is he malevolent. Is he both able and willing? whence then is evil?"-Epicurus
  • Chris [... Yukkion... 2008/09/08 23:02:30
    Chris [Ninja]™
    The answer is simple, he is able but unwilling. We create the evil we dwell in, either directly or by not doing good. You see we have free will, with that the ability to truly love but also the ability to do evil. kmay below has a more anecdotal explanation.

I agree that someone shouldn't take someone else's word for it and should explore for themselves, but that doesn't mean you should discount what everyone else has to say.
  • Yukkion... Chris [... 2008/09/08 23:17:42
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +3
    Did Pharaoh have free will when God "hardened his heart"? and really, do you have free will if the penalty for doing wrong is eternal damnation and suffering? I'm not looking for anecdotes, in over 30 years of researching I've read and heard them all. I'm rarely surprised by the answers I receive. I could actually argue with most atheist and take the Christian side. What is your take on the Buddhist view on evil and it's origin? maybe you could read some of this page and tel me what you think. seriously.
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/...
  • Chris [... Yukkion... 2008/09/09 00:09:52 (edited)
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +1
    Hmmm... That's interesting about the Buddah's beliefs of evil. Personally, I don't have a deep philosophy on evil in the world. All I know is that God gave commands and we break them.

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

So I know that for me I have broken some if not all of them. You see God is who God is and he uses who he uses, it's really his prerogative being the ultimate creator of everything. I would say generally we have free will, but in certain cases where it benefits God, we don't. It benefited God because he made a promise to Abraham for his faithfulness that his seed would be a holy nation, t...'''

'''''''

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

So I know that for me I have broken some if not all of them. You see God is who God is and he uses who he uses, it's really his prerogative being the ultimate creator of everything. I would say generally we have free will, but in certain cases where it benefits God, we don't. It benefited God because he made a promise to Abraham for his faithfulness that his seed would be a holy nation, the nation of isreal. I think we forget sometimes that God is a person and not a way the universe works, although he set that in motion. I don't know, it's my opinion right now and in the future it might adapt, but the central issue remains the same; God is God and there are things he does that are beyond our comprehension. I mean honestly if I could comprehend everything that God does or did, maybe he wouldn't be infinite enough to be God.

Basically it's a catch 22. If you believe in God, you'll find a way to explain everything, and if you don't believe in God then you'll find a way to explain away everything. But as for me, I would rather live a life in relationship to the creator of the universe. If I'm wrong, then we both die and there is nothing left, but if I'm right then you're screwed (not to be offensive).
  • The Seanz Chris [... 2008/09/09 00:52:34
    The Seanz
    +3
    Ah, Pascal's Wager. To take it a step further, what if you were half right - you believed in god but it was the wrong one? And what if that other god demanded no other gods before him/her/it or you go to that religion's hell?
  • Chris [... The Seanz 2008/09/09 03:46:11
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +2
    That's why it's important to choose wisely.
  • The Seanz Chris [... 2008/09/09 16:12:39
    The Seanz
    +3
    Based on this discussion, though, is it possible to choose "wisely?" Given an infinite number of possible gods with an infinite number of possible requirements for getting into "heaven," I think you can only close your eyes and point and hope for the best.
  • Chris [... The Seanz 2008/09/09 21:00:23
    Chris [Ninja]™
    That's not true, you have full discernment. Why would you choose blindly?
  • The Seanz Chris [... 2008/09/09 22:30:38
    The Seanz
    +1
    I'm just following the reasoning. All the gods humanity has conceived have an equal chance of existing, as does the chance there is no god. Choosing to believe in a particular god is not a logical decision, but one that takes faith.
  • Yukkion... Chris [... 2008/09/09 18:37:33
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    But did you choose? A man in India is on a forum making the same arguments as you. ;)
  • Chris [... Yukkion... 2008/09/09 21:06:15 (edited)
    Chris [Ninja]™
    I did actually, I was an atheist. The way I came about Christianity was this. I knew very quickly that this world was not about me and if there is a God, he's probably beyond me because of looking at the universe. Think if he were to create everything around us and we barely understand any of it, then he must be pretty dang infinite. So the next question is why? Why the separation? Where is He? If he doesn't care about me, then why do I still live? Why doesn't he just kill me? I found my answers in Christianity, God who is all powerful and is Love but is separated from His creation by sin. A Holy and blameless God cannot be in the presence of sin, or else he is no longer Holy. Anyway it goes on. The bottomline is he gave is Ten Commandments thousands of years ago to show us what goodness is. We break them... We are unable to keep them, there is just no way. That's offensive to God, but yet he keeps us alive, why?

The biggest conversion experience for me was, I could not accept the fact that once I die, that's it. That to me showed me that there was something within myself that was unnatural. Likewise, I knew right from wrong, even when it wasn't in my own naturalistic instincts to do the right thing, I still knew it was the right thing. This is "unnatural." There are attributes to humanity that are "unnatural." in an evolutionary stand point.
  • mavericky Chris [... 2008/09/10 14:54:12
    mavericky
    Atheists do not believe the world is about them - quite the opposite.
  • Chris [... mavericky 2008/09/11 05:28:45
    Chris [Ninja]™
    I didn't say Atheists think the world is about them. I said, I realized the world wasn't about me. You're reading into my comments with some hostility there bud.
  • mavericky Chris [... 2008/09/11 13:29:33
    mavericky
    There was no hostility in that post. I was just stating a fact.
  • mrigor Chris [... 2008/09/09 23:16:58
    mrigor
    +1
    Geography largely dictates which God is "true". Most people don't choose, they are brought into religion by their parents.
  • mavericky Chris [... 2008/09/10 14:53:07
    mavericky
    You are leaving out a few hundred other rules that were set forth by your god.
  • Miss Lori Yukkion... 2008/09/09 18:25:02
    Miss Lori
    +3
    If you've studied for over 30 years, it would seem that you would have come across the vedas, which do not subscribe to the "eternal hell and damnation" philosophy of the west, nor do the vedas propose a nihilistic "void" like the Buddhists and Taoists.
  • Yukkion... Miss Lori 2008/09/09 18:36:23
    Yukkione "In Science We Trust"
    +2
    I have as well as the Upanishads. I very much like much of the teachings in those books.
  • kmay 2008/09/08 21:47:31
    kmay
    +1
    Prove He doesn't exist.

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair
    cut and his beard trimmed.

As the barber began to work, they began to have a good
    conversation.

They talked about so many things and various subjects.
    When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the
    barber said:

'I don't believe that God exists.'

'Why do you say that?' asked the customer.

'Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist.
    Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people?
    Would there be abandoned children?
    If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain.
    I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these
    things.'

The customer thought for a moment, but didn't respond
    because he didn't want to start an argument.

The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop.

Just after he left the barbershop, he saw a man in the
    street with long, stringy, dirty hair and an untrimmed
    beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

The customer turned back and entered the barbe r shop again
    and he said to the barber: 'You know what? Barbers do not
    exist.'

'How can you say that?' asked the surprised barber.

'I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!'

'No!' the customer exclaimed. 'Barbers don't exist because
    if they did...
    '

''
    '

''''
    ''
    Prove He doesn't exist.

cut and his beard trimmed.

conversation.

barber said:

'I don't believe that God exists.'

Would there be abandoned children?
    things.'

beard. He looked dirty and unkempt.

exist.'

if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair
    and untrimmed beards, like that man outside.'

'Ah, but barbers DO exist! That's what happens when people
    do not come to me.'

'Exactly!' affirmed the customer. 'That's the point! God, too, DOES
    exist! That's what happens when people do not go to Him and don't look
    to Him for help.
  • running... kmay 2008/09/09 16:14:33 (edited)
    runningintriangles
    +1
    Here's the thing, many struglling peple do believe in a god, but he doesn't help them. A woman from my mother's church was diagnosed with cancer, she held as strong as she could but still suffered and died, leaving her husband alone. Why would god do that to aloyal follower? To a good person, to a kind person? To someone who sure as deserves to live more than a good chunk of the population? Please, explain that one to me.

And the Jews in WWII, what about them? Many of them believed in the same God that Christians do, the God everone speaks of. Yet look what happened. Tell me why a loving god would let that happen to his children.
  • Chris [... running... 2008/09/09 21:16:01
    Chris [Ninja]™
    Maybe though, the world is bigger than people's problems. Imagine for a second you are God, you have lived eternally and you know the people you create will live eternally. The entire lifespan of the earth is still a tiny inconsequential fraction compared to eternity (forever). Soloman said, "Truly the day of your death is greater than the day of your birth." If this world is just a preparation for the next, maybe those things don't matter so much as knowing God.

Look at it this way, in 30,000 years will WWII even matter anymore? Will who wins the Presidency matter anymore? Will anything on this earth even matter anymore? The trials we face on this earth are so temporary compared to eternity. I agree, suffering is a part of the world and will always be, it's a shame however to suffer for something that has no eternal consequences or rewards. But God does watch everything you do, he knows you intimately and really is waiting to reconcile with you and hopes you will, but ultimately if you choose separation He will respect that and give you just that.

2014/10/25 19:52:04