If Convicted, Should Trayvon Murderer George Zimmerman Get Life in Prison or the Death Penalty ?

Che Guevara - Hero 2012/04/04 12:27:27
Death Penalty
Life in Prison

If Convicted, Should Trayvon Murderer George Zimmerman Get The DEATH Penalty ?

The Rev. Al Sharptoncame to a podium outside Sanford Police Department headquarters amid raucous cheers. But he revealed few details about a plan he'd announced Friday for economic sanctions to force authorities to arrest Zimmerman.

Instead, he talked generally about sanctions against corporations that support and fund "stand your ground" laws.

Benjamin Jealous, national president of the NAACP, said no one was calling for a boycott of local businesses.

Meanwhile, the Orlando Sentinel reported the results of its inquiry into a lingering question in the case: Who was heard crying for help on a 911 call in the moments before Martin was shot?

On the night of the shooting, a woman called 911 to report someone crying out for help in her gated Sanford community. Though several of her neighbors eventually called authorities, she phoned early enough for dispatchers to hear the panicked cries and the gunshot that took Trayvon Martin's life.

Zimmerman, who has claimed self-defense in the shooting, told police he was the one screaming for help.

But Tom Owen, forensic consultant for Owen Forensic Services LLC and chairman emeritus of the American Board of Recorded Evidence, used voice identification software to compare Zimmerman's voice to the 911 screams. He ruled out the neighborhood watch volunteer.

The software returned a 48% match. Owen said that to reach a positive match with audio of such quality, he'd expect higher than 90%.

"You can say with reasonable scientific certainty that it's not Zimmerman," Owen says, stressing that he could not confirm the voice as Trayvon's because he didn't have a sample of the teen's voice to compare.

Another expert contacted by the Sentinel, utilizing different techniques, came to the same conclusion.

Outside police headquarters on Saturday, Jealous introduced Brenden Mitchell, a youth leader with the National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People.

"I am 17 years old. I'm a high school student. I'm a young black man," Mitchell said in a fiery speech. "I could be the next Trayvon Martin

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/01/nation/la-na-trayvon-...

Read More: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/01/nation/la-...

• Rebel Yell 2012/04/04 14:21:14
    Life in Prison
    Rebel Yell
    +8
    The courts need to work this out. Two voice experts have said the screaming on the tape was not that of Zimmerman. They cannot say it was Trayvon because the parents have no home recordings . The biggest question is why did Zimmerman feel he needed to exit his vehicle with his gun? What was suspicious about a kid in a hoodie walking along talking on his cell? There are far too many unanswered questions, but if George had stayed in his vehicle , Trayvon would be alive.

• gayle koblish 2013/06/26 22:03:14
    Death Penalty
    gayle koblish
    george zimmerman should get death penalty for killing a child.
  • marshall 2013/06/12 06:00:59
    Life in Prison
    marshall
    if he could get life in prison shouldn't he be charged with first degree murder? Seems like the state has made an exception because they realize they probably can't prove premeditation but they are pushing the envelope by setting his punishment commensurate with first degree. NOT saying he should not be punished if found guilty but lets keep emotion out if we are going to be impartial. Incidentally by the comments I'm hearing a majority of you would make horrible jurors!
  • Guru Casper BN-ZERO 2012/05/09 23:36:34
    Life in Prison
    Guru Casper BN-ZERO
    NO PAROLE!
  • danielria 2012/04/27 15:50:31
    Death Penalty
    danielria
    +1
    Get a rope! I am sick and tired of using tax money to take care of people who have broken the law. If I can make it through life without doing something so stupid, then how come this guy can't. Get a damn rope and be done with it.
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/04/11 01:45:54
    Life in Prison
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    needs an other option
  • Rhi-ot. 2012/04/10 19:12:39
    Life in Prison
    Rhi-ot.
    I don't like the idea of a death penalty, puts us on the same level as murderers. I also feel like life in prison is a much harsher punishment.
  • Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of ... 2012/04/10 15:31:54
    Life in Prison
    Ferηαηdo Fierce Monster of Phaet
    +2
    Despite how much he disgusts me, I am 100% against the death penalty.
  • aneed2know 2012/04/10 10:22:27
    Life in Prison
    aneed2know
    +3
    Dont believe in the death penalty except in the case of child molesters.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/09 18:38:43
    Life in Prison
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    If Convicted let Zimmerman Rot in prison
    zimmerman  rape
  • scbluesman13 2012/04/09 18:28:03
    Life in Prison
    scbluesman13
    +2
    I don't believe in the death penalty. I think it's morally and ethically wrong.
  • FeelHood H. Obama~BN28 2012/04/08 04:53:51
    Life in Prison
    FeelHood H. Obama~BN28
    +5
    Zimmerman should spend 25 to Life learning, fully understanding & getting to know on an intimate level people who are TRULY threatening.

trading places gif
  • Che Gue... FeelHoo... 2012/04/08 21:04:55
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +2
    An excellent Idea but I think he deserves life without parole.
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/04/08 01:58:47
    Life in Prison
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +2
    I think he should get the penalty that is appropriate for the crime with which he is charged. I do not agree with the death penalty. I think it is high time we joined the rest of the civilized world and got rid of ours. The company we keep in having a death penalty is rather unsavory.
  • PLANETEATER 2012/04/07 19:14:58
  • aneed2know PLANETE... 2012/04/10 10:25:08
    aneed2know
    +2
    you have a insane hatred of white people, and this is coming from a black male. Honestly and truly you need to stop, you don't want to be stereotyped so why would you do it to another group. You remind of the Jews in Israel, they were tormented killed and they survived, but when it comes to understanding the humanity of some other group they turn a blind eye.

My brother please get help.
  • PLANETE... aneed2know 2012/04/11 16:50:28
    PLANETEATER
    And blacks like you have an insane fear and an acute pathological psychotic strain of Stockholm Syndrome as it relates to white people so much that any criticism of their persistent evil towards black people brings about an indignant response from the victim. It's really sad. Trying to convince people who are sick like you that what I say has nothing to do with hatred (although hatred is good in certain situations hell, even God hates) is as futile as trying to live on the sun. While I appreciate your concern for my mental health albeit disingenuous to the point of being quite pathetic, I am quite a bit more sane than you can currently contemplate. You need to grow a pair and grow the fuc up and quit being an apologist for your and my open enemies.
  • aneed2know PLANETE... 2012/04/12 05:09:24
    aneed2know
    +1
    My brother where is this coming from, has all white people in the world trespassed on you personally? Has all white people done something to you personally that you must hate them all? Yeah i know it was the government that allowed institutional racism to occur and yeah i know that it was white people in the beginning of this country to allow slavery to occur and yeah i know it was a system of black slavery that stripped my culture, my language from me. I also know that it was blacks that also participated in it, but i dont see you condemning a whole continent for it. Yes i know slavery in Africa at those times was a a lot different from European or Anglo slavery.

I also dont hear you condemning Islam for its role in slavery, so why only white people.

Let me tell you something, and i want you to pay particular attention to it, if you go to any Muslim country, you will be seen as less that a Arab Muslim. This is wrong but it is the truth, so please my brother do some thing with that hatred in your heart. Instead of hate try to educate and try some empathy.
  • danielria aneed2know 2012/04/27 15:55:43
    danielria
    Dude, loved the way you put this! All of the struggles and hatred is just not the fault of the white man. It makes me happy to see that someone from African decent realizes this truth. I am in no way making excuses for any group of people, but they were not the only ones to blame. Thumbs up for your comments!
  • aneed2know danielria 2012/05/01 04:46:06
    aneed2know
    +1
    First what i want to say to you is thank you, and second i understand where his words are coming from, but to condemn all white Americans for it is wrong just as wrong when all whites try to group all blacks into a single group.

You and i may never see eye to eye on anything but this, but i want it to be known that i understand where his words are coming from, i do not condone them nor would i teach my children or anyone else his ideology.

But if this country is survive and move forward, we will need to have this conversation out in the open in a mature manner.
  • danielria aneed2know 2012/05/01 18:26:24
    danielria
    Thanks. I really think that we would agree on more than just this issue. Stereotyping people is not the answer to the wold's problems... Keep it real and have a great day!
  • Mack 2012/04/06 19:20:30
    Death Penalty
    Mack
    +2
    Zimmerman is a hateful racist and cold blooded murder and under the law, I think he should be put to death.
  • flrdsgns 2012/04/05 22:39:43
    Life in Prison
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Life in prison as I'm opposed to the death penalty
  • Darnel 2012/04/05 21:19:09
    Life in Prison
    Darnel
    +1
    Because I'm not a nice man.
  • Keeping It Real 2012/04/05 13:36:55
    Life in Prison
    Keeping It Real
    +2
    He be serving more of a punishment by rotting in jail for the rest of his natural born life!
  • Mack Keeping... 2012/04/06 19:23:11
    Mack
    +2
    He's a child killer and racist. The cons would most likely beat or kill him in prison.
  • Jakedog 2012/04/05 02:25:31
    Life in Prison
    Jakedog
    +3
    Life I don't believe in the death penalty, besides it will do his father some good to have to go and visit his son in prison.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/04/05 02:09:41
    Death Penalty
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +2
    I meant LIFE in prison with all the perks.

mean prisoner
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/04/04 23:03:53
    Life in Prison
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +5
    Well, I don't think it would be a first-degree murder so I'm sure he'd get under 15 years if that (just my feeling.) Also, even if it was a capital murder case, I don't believe in the death penalty.
  • JaguarSocialist 2012/04/04 22:53:28
    Life in Prison
    JaguarSocialist
    +2
    I don't support the death penalty, but I would support George's cell mate being a guy named Thugg.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2012/04/04 21:33:04
    Life in Prison
    Just Jenn for Now
    +4
    It's hard to say.... really, this case is so all over the place with nothing solid for evidence, other than one person is dead.
  • jimrthy... Just Je... 2012/04/05 01:23:26
    jimrthy BN-0
    That it is. It's a horrible tragedy, no matter what "truth" may ever be discovered.

I honestly believe that America's reaction is a lot more important than whatever little details may turn up in what's really a fairly minor case (as awful as it is! I don't want to minimize it in any way, shape, or form!)
  • Che Gue... jimrthy... 2012/04/05 21:34:03
    Che Guevara - Hero
    If Trayvon Martin was a member of your family you might care but since he was just some black kid you could care less. How repulsive.
  • jimrthy... Che Gue... 2012/04/08 19:20:12
    jimrthy BN-0
    I care deeply. It's insulting that you'd say that I don't.

*Especially* when you add skin color into the mix.

There are very few people on the planet who have as many reasons as I to hate Europeans. Mainly because their ancestors were such treacherous murderous bastards that they wiped out so many of my ancestors.

I don't have any reason whatsoever to despise people with darker skin.

Trayvon's death is a horrific tragedy. It is almost as awful as the one that revolved around my niece's murder. To be honest, I care more about Trayvon than I did about her.

In the big scheme of things, they are both minor little details.

You don't know me. You don't know what motivates me. Claiming that my reaction has to do with skin color shows that you don't know much about humanity.
  • Che Gue... jimrthy... 2012/04/08 21:08:21
    Che Guevara - Hero
    This is the big scheme of things Genius. If there is no justice by legal means we are talking riots on the scale of LA after the Rodney King verdict. This is about as serious as things get.
  • jimrthy... Che Gue... 2012/04/15 10:57:26
    jimrthy BN-0
    Who decides justice? The Rodney King riots happened because people were convinced the "justice system" had betrayed them.

It sounds to me like the prosecutor is going for a verdict that is ridiculous. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I'm just not seeing Murder 2 stick on this one.

What kind of riots do we get if the judge throws it out for lack of evidence? Maybe that won't happen. Maybe the prosecutor's competent. The media's been very careful to feed us little bits and pieces, stringing us along, changing the story almost daily. The prosecutor's complaining that so much evidence has been leaked, but maybe she's holding back the really juicy pieces.

The riots that are brewing are the bigger picture. At this point, the real details of what happened that awful night are almost irrelevant. (As sickening as that is to type).
  • aneed2know jimrthy... 2012/04/10 10:26:22
    aneed2know
    +1
    A minor case, say what
  • jimrthy... aneed2know 2012/04/15 11:04:24
    jimrthy BN-0
    One guy killed another. There was probably some racism involved. Happens all the time.

It's sickening, and it seems to be opening up some eyes. But it's part of the tragic reality that we live in.

Hopefully some good will come out of this. Hopefully people will realize that prejudice over skin color is just stupid. If Zimmerman was being protected by his daddy's connections, hopefully that particular part of the good ol' boy network will get blown up.

Yeah. Hopefully pigs will fly.

But the alternative to hope is to just give up.
  • HL 2012/04/04 19:32:11
    Life in Prison
    HL
    +6
    Let him suffer, no guns in prison.
  • Zombz 2012/04/04 19:25:28
    Death Penalty
    Zombz
    +3
    Although it seems cruel; this is a mental illness. No amount of prison can fix this. Would even make it worse. Now unless there is an option for mental health treatment, Sick bastards like this will always exist. It's not all about punishment, It's about fixing this problem too. We as humans need balance in everything. Or else we'll break. Even creatures like this need it.
  • Che Gue... Zombz 2012/04/04 19:59:12
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +3
    Unfortunately the only thing that will fix George Zimmerman's problem comes out of the barrel of a gun. But if he spends the rest of his life behind bars he won't be able to slaughter anyone else's kids.

2014/07/29 04:35:32